HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RFA Defensemen

Old
05-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
If we throw a huge contract at an RFA defenseman now aren't we inviting people to have an open season on Staal later? Is that really a smart move? I don't want anybody touching him.
I highly doubt we'd let that happen. Call me crazy, but I don't see Staal as the type who would simply follow the money. I think he's a smart kid and is fully aware that we're prepping to build our defense around him for the next decade. I wouldn't see him jumping ship like that.

I'm not thrilled with the offer sheet play, but all three players mentioned would be incredible assets for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
i think i would rather go for kaberle as his contract is only $4.250m for the next 3yrs where as any of the players mentioned apart from byfuglien and suter would command more, plus i am pretty sure most of those teams are fine with cap room so they would most likely match.

the money from malik and mara's contract more than covers kaberle's that is if mara is not re-signed which i dont think he will be.
Agreed. The problem is getting him will be tricky.

Quote:
What would we have to give up to get Kaberle though? Such a valuable defensemen on such a good contract would seem to allow Toronto to demand guys like Sanguinetti who I just don't want to part with.
I'm not sure Sanguinetti would have to go, but we would have to give up some youth. Toronto hasn't come outright and said next year will be a rebuilding year, but its becoming more and more likely.

They're going to want picks and youthful depth, but I doubt they'd go for straight prospects. We'd probably be forced to give up Dawes and Tyutin as well as our 1st this year.

Dawes, Tyutin + 1st as a probable starting point. They still have McCabe's contract to deal with, so the deal is really going to hinge around the value and what kind of cap hit each team will be facing after all is said and done.

I'm sure they'd rather pitch McCabe at us, but if that happens, they'd have to take Backman from us as far as I'm concerned given McCabes salary.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
NYR469

Quote:
If we throw a huge contract at an RFA defenseman now aren't we inviting people to have an open season on Staal later? Is that really a smart move? I don't want anybody touching him.
thats only if we are dumb enough to let staal become a RFA in the first place, but there is ZERO reason we should ever let him get to that point without locking him up long term.

and if someone wants to go after our RFAs they will do it regardless because they think its a good move not cause its 'payback'

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
NYR469

i think pitkanen is a rfa too so he can be added to the list

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
thats only if we are dumb enough to let staal become a RFA in the first place, but there is ZERO reason we should ever let him get to that point without locking him up long term.

and if someone wants to go after our RFAs they will do it regardless because they think its a good move not cause its 'payback'
I'm not concerned with the payback so much as that we would be left open to someone doing that to us because we would be in a more precarious cap situation if we already had one kid defensman under a huge contract.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
xander

I think Suter is a player that should be investigated, though I's much to prefer to talk trade with Nasville than give him an offer sheet. Nashville must resign Weber and has a bunch of D prospects that they may think can replace Suter. I don't know much about the Pred's cap situation, anyone have insight?

edit: just checked the pred's board, they said Suter turned down 3.5 for 3 years (rumor.) I think Suter at 4.5 for 5 years is probably a better investment than giving Roszy 5.5 for 5 years (though I do like Roszival.) If you can sling a first and some prospects, maybe a non-core youngster for Suter and sign him to that contract, I would do it, though I might just be dreaming here. Suter's the type of young player that it's worth moving some assets for. Staal and Dubinsky would be off the table, but if you can work around those restrictions, it might be worth doing. It would probably come down to whether contract negotiations break down and/or what the preds have to give Weber.

Last edited by xander: 05-08-2008 at 01:17 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote