HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney: 5 players from Hartford could compete for a job next year...

Old
05-08-2008, 02:23 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Even squishy says he can compete for a spot next year... nowhere from anyone's eyes have said Potter is "not that good."

From what i've seen of him, i feel he is solid.
As do I, but Baranka is better IMO. It's too bad he's injury-prone, because he would be that much more valuable.

Potter doesn't have the frame yet, though..

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 02:28 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
As do I, but Baranka is better IMO. It's too bad he's injury-prone, because he would be that much more valuable.

Potter doesn't have the frame yet, though..
I agree Baranka is better.

But he has been injury prone, thats the only issue.

For what ever reason he keeps getting injured.

he is 23 though, he has the chance to overcome that issue.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
I don't think Corey Potter should be even looked at before Ivan Baranka. Potter isn't that good.
Jarkko, I think we just encountered the first significant instance where we disagree about something!

And I can't disagree more on the "Potter isn't that good" statement. Over the course of the season, Potter was probably the second best all-around d-man in Hartford, behind Hutch, IMHO. Yes, he has consistency issues, and can make some really boneheaded mistakes on occasion. Really, really boneheaded mistakes. But there were games where he was a dominant force on defense. I can't remember the specific game, it was probably in January/February and I think it was against either the Pirates or Springfield, but it was the game that really made me sit up and take notice of him. He was singlehandedly thwarting scoring chances and standing up everything that dared cross the Pack blueline. After about the third time he laid a rushing forward on their butt coming over the blueline my husband and I just sort of turned to each other with a "who IS that defenseman in Corey Potter's uniform?" look on our faces. It wasn't long after that when he got his call-up to practice with the big club. And not long after that it seemed Gernander loosened the reigns a bit and we started seeing Potter start carrying the puck up ice more often. And unlike Pock, he's smart about when he does it. I think he has every chance in the world of being a Dan Giardi clone.

In addition to continued injury problems, Baranka's development just seemed to stagnate this season. I don't think he was any better at the end of this season that he was at the end of last. That concerns me. Potter, on the other hand, continued to improve. I have no doubt that was due in part to the fact that he played most of the season with a quality defenseman like Hutch, while Baranka often had to compensate for lesser skilled partners, but I think his progress this season was impressive, and I think he's another one, with Byers, who's underappreciated by most Rangers fans. Right now, if I had to pick one or the other, Baranka or Potter, to fill a gap on the Rangers next season, I'd have a really hard time doing so.

Edit to add: On another topic completely, I agree with Levitate regarding Moore. He's one of the closest to being NHL ready, but I honestly don't see him amounting to much at the NHL level.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Richter35

anybody think hutch gets re-signed instead of struds and we see him as the 7th dman next year?

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
anybody think hutch gets re-signed instead of struds and we see him as the 7th dman next year?
Strudwick and Hutchinson have such vastly different games it's hard to compare them. We are, however, talking about the seventh defensive spot so it probably comes down to who they think is more reliable defensively. I'm not really a huge fan of either guy, but if Hutchinson is solid enough defensively I'd give him a shot at our powerplay. That's big "if" though.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 03:24 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I have to disagree. Potter's +32 in 81 games and 30 points is very good.
If that translates into a +12 & 17 points on the NHL level thats fantastic for a rookie

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 03:25 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Strudwick and Hutchinson have such vastly different games it's hard to compare them. We are, however, talking about the seventh defensive spot so it probably comes down to who they think is more reliable defensively. I'm not really a huge fan of either guy, but if Hutchinson is solid enough defensively I'd give him a shot at our powerplay. That's big "if" though.
Maybe @ the AHL level, @ the NHL level he is barly average. I can't see him resigning here anyway.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Maybe @ the AHL level, @ the NHL level he is barly average. I can't see him resigning here anyway.
I think it's a minor issue either way. We're talking about the seventh defenseman. I'd rather focus on the top six.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 07:43 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Potter, Baranka.
I agree those are the five....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote