HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone taken notice of the 2009 UFA class?

Old
05-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
Anyone taken notice of the 2009 UFA class?

Unbelievable! I know that lots of these guys will sign with their teams before next off-season, but it is really incredible how many superstars, and even just good first/second line younger players are on the market! Look at this:

SUPER CLASS UFAs:

Zetterberg, Lecavalier, Gaborik

SUPER CLASS RFAs:

Malkin, E. Staal!!! (not to mention, J. Staal, Statsny and Kopitar)

"A" CLASS UFAs)

D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Ryan Miller, Afinogenov, Kovalev, Havlat, Erik Cole, Tanguay, Komisarek, Bertuzzi, Biron, Ohlund...

"B" CLASS UFAs)

Franzen, Cammelleri, Koivu, Gionta, Madden, Sullivan, Zhubov, Lehtinen...

"C" CLASS UFAs)

Tkachuk, McDonald, Khabibulin, Morris, Horcoff, Leopold, Connolly, Niedermayer, Pahlsson...

Plus SO many more!

Do you think Gainey is looking long term and targeting 2009? Koivu and Kovalev are UFAs. With so many 20-something superstars available, does he go an entirely new route two seasons from now?

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 02:37 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

In Bob I trust

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Lafontaine

PS:

By the way, please don't flame me on the groupings, was just a quick organization!

Old
05-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
of course he is ...but dont forget we have to sign
UFA :
Koivu
Kovalev
Komisarek
Bouillon(maybe?)
Dandenault(never)
Kostopoulos(never know?)
Begin(probably ?)

RFA:
Higgins
Plekanec
Latendresse
Chipchura

Also to note that more than half of the players you listed will re-sign way before july 1st.

But the more we advance with the CBA and the more teams are gonna be cap strapped.

I predict that the cap wont rise next year(like it will this year) and if it does very little.

All those things are to be considered and the gainey policy to not re-sign RFA players for more than 3 years might bite us in the ass.
Imagine if we had Komisarek/Higgins/Plekanec locked for 2 or more years at the same cap number.

I will also say that all the very long term deal (Mike Richard, Dipietro, Ovechkin) are gonna become very good bargin in 4 to 5 years.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:21 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
Unbelievable! I know that lots of these guys will sign with their teams before next off-season, but it is really incredible how many superstars, and even just good first/second line younger players are on the market! Look at this:

SUPER CLASS UFAs:

SUPER CLASS RFAs:

"A" CLASS UFAs)

D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Ryan Miller, Afinogenov, Kovalev, Havlat, Erik Cole, Tanguay, Komisarek, Bertuzzi, Biron, Ohlund...

"B" CLASS UFAs)

"C" CLASS UFAs)

Tkachuk, McDonald, Khabibulin, Morris, Horcoff, Leopold, Connolly, Niedermayer, Pahlsson...

Plus SO many more!

Do you think Gainey is looking long term and targeting 2009? Koivu and Kovalev are UFAs. With so many 20-something superstars available, does he go an entirely new route two seasons from now?
We can already take out some players on that list.

-Zetterberg will stay in Detroit, no doubt about it.
-The Bolts will do all they can to re-sign Lecavalier but I think that the way the team will play next season will have a lot to do in Vinny decision.
-Gaborik and the Wild is an intriguing situation. I think that it will be a sign or trade before the deadline for Gabby. He has an incredible talent but the injuries are also a factor.
-Malkin will stay in Pittsburgh and if not (impossible if you ask me), he will be traded for a huge package. There's no way the Pens will lose him for picks.
-Staal is THE star in Carolina. They will keep him.
-The Sedin's will be another interesting situation. I expect the Canucks to make a shakeup with this team this summer. If the Sedin's can't be the leaders of the team, maybe they will have to play somewhere else in 2009-2010, but that's unlikely. Also, we need to take into consideration that if a team wants a Sedin, they "have" to take both.
-Ryan Miller will leave Buffalo IMO. I expect him to sign with Detroit or Ottawa.
-Maxim Afinogenov isn't an "A" player anymore. He is talented but he lacks finition. I don't know what will happen with him but he isn't really a big factor in the 2009 UFA class.
-Unless he has a bad season, Kovalev will stay in Montreal. He likes the city and the city likes him. He's our most talented player and he's a leader on the ice.
-Havlat is done as a Hawks IMO. They have a young core and I'm pretty sure that they will prefer to use the money on somebody else. With Khabby who is also an UFA, they will have the money to make a big splash on the UFA market. It doesn't really make sense for them to target Lecavalier (Toews) but I think that they could be a player in the Gaborik sweeptakes.
-Cole will attract a lot of interest if he hits the market. He has injury concerns but when on his game, he's a guy that every teams would want. IMO, he'll get an overpayment.
-Tanguay will more than likely leave Calgary. Can you smell the rumors of him coming to Montreal?
-The Habs would be dumb to let Komisarek go. I think that Gainey will do an exception and works hard on an extension during the season. I expect him to sign a longterm deal before the All-Star game.
-Who cares about Bertuzzi honestly? The guy shouldn't play hockey anymore.
-Biron finally found his place with the Flyers. Unless there is a major problem next season, he will be able to sign his first big contract with them by the end of the season.
-Ohlund is an important part of the Canucks and I would be surprised to see them let him go. They will trade other guys before such a leader.
-If Franzen continues that way, the Wings will give him the contract he deserves. That said, I could definitely see a desesperate team like the Oilers overpaid big time for him on the open market.
-Cammaleri is GONE. The only question is where will he go? I'm pretty sure he will be traded before the deadline and I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded during the summer.
-Koivu will retire as a hab.
-Unless they feel they have a better option via trade or UFA market, the Devils will likely keep Gionta.
-Madden will attract some legit interest on the market. He will be like Brian Rolston this year. Will the Devils keep him and lock him before he becomes an UFA?
-I seriously have any idea about what will happen to Sullivan.
-Zubov will retire as a Star.
-I would be surprised to see Lehtinen go but il will depend of the cap situation in Dallas. If they have the money, there's no doubt in my mind that they will retain him.
*Horcoff is definitely underrated in the league. He's the ideal 2nd center and I hope that the Oilers will realize it soon and keep this guy.

I don't really care about the others...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:34 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Way to early to think about it that list is likely to change.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

They must be thinking about it... if the organization is a top teir NHL-org like we think... but I'm sure all NHL teams plan for the future and budget any number of scenarios.

The team money managers must do long-term planning like other big organizations. No doubt, Gainey and Brisebois are aware that two of the teams larger salarys are coming off the books, and have some of these situations planned. I don't imagine they target specific players (but maybe they do), but most likely do create a UFA budget for each year.

Sure the plans will evolve and the team will constantly re-evaluate it's situation (things like were they finish in the standings, how they do in the play offs and chemistry and player mix) and those results could change plans in any direction.

Anyhow, that's an impressive list. The best since the first season after the lock-out perhaps. It's great to be having 8-10 mil coming off the books that same season. There's a lot that can happen but we appear to have flexibility as a luxury at this early stage.

Last edited by Boris Le Tigre: 05-09-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Capitano

I bet you that half of those guys will be signed before 2009.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

We will offer more money to Lecavalier then any other team,but he will sign elsewhere(e5)

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I bet you that half of those guys will be signed before 2009.
Yup especially all the RFA

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Kaptain Bégin

This summer class was supposed to be great too. But teams throw a lot of money out and keep their players.
Joe Thorton
Patrick Marleau
Marian Hossa
Jaromir Jagr
Dany Heatley
Jason Spezza(RFA?)
Wade Redden
Brian Campbell
Ryan Getzlaf(RFA)
Henrik Lundquist(RFA?)
Jarome Iginla
Dion Phaneuf(RFA)
Sidney Crosby(RFA)
Dan Boyle
Alex Ovechkin(RFA)

So, this year class is unspectacular, but last year seems really great.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:05 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

This year looked nearly that good, then in July all the significant free agents signed extensions and now it looks poor.

Make another list in August and I doubt it will look as good.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
SpreeEndaz

Most of those players will re-sign this summer or early into the season, just like Iginla and Thornton did last season so don't get excited too fast.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:35 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Way to early to think about it that list is likely to change.
thank you for pointing out the obvious, someone's gotta do it.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 09:57 AM
LV Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post

I will also say that all the very long term deal (Mike Richard, Dipietro, Ovechkin) are gonna become very good bargin in 4 to 5 years.

It's way too early to say. TV ratings aren't really getting any better, the Canadian dollar is not going to rise much higher than it is right now and attendance in arena's is pretty decent. League revenues can't keep climbing forever and this season might be the last big increase the salary cap sees for a while. If the dollar starts tanking again we might actually see the cap fall in years to come.

I've said it many times and i'll say it again, so far Gainey has done a really good job managing his cap. If he can attract 1 or 2 UFAs to come to Mtl over the next couple of seasons and re sign the core, this team will have a very legit shot at the cup for the next several year.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 10:03 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Hab View Post
It's way too early to say. TV ratings aren't really getting any better, the Canadian dollar is not going to rise much higher than it is right now and attendance in arena's is pretty decent. League revenues can't keep climbing forever and this season might be the last big increase the salary cap sees for a while. If the dollar starts tanking again we might actually see the cap fall in years to come.

I've said it many times and i'll say it again, so far Gainey has done a really good job managing his cap. If he can attract 1 or 2 UFAs to come to Mtl over the next couple of seasons and re sign the core, this team will have a very legit shot at the cup for the next several year.
Half the league is introducing a third jersey next year = another increase in the cap. Not as much as this year, but if it ends up at 56.5M this year, 59.5-60 isn't out of the question for 09-10.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 10:14 AM
NHLcrazy

Quote:

SUPER CLASS UFAs:

All 3 we re-sign this summer or during next season to 7+ years deals for 8+ M$

So don't hold your breath...

Quote:

"A" CLASS UFAs)

The only ones that might still be UFA come July 1st will be: Kovy, Havlat, Tanguay, Bertuzzi and maybe Ohlund

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
zzoo

What will be probably left at July 1st, 2009:

SUPER CLASS UFAs:
Gaborik

SUPER CLASS RFAs: none

"A" CLASS UFAs
Afinogenov, Havlat, Tanguay, Bertuzzi

"B" CLASS UFAs
Cammelleri, Gionta, Sullivan

"C" CLASS UFAs
Tkachuk, McDonald, Khabibulin, Morris, Connolly, Niedermayer, Pahlsson...

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Bertuzzi should really be in that "C" class.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Dark4ng3l

80% of all the good players will never hit free agency anyways. That list looks ok right now but thats because those players can only sign extensions after july 1st.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
ari1160

lets think about 2008 first and then 2009. but as much as i wish to get Zetterberg, there is no way he is leaving red wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
This summer class was supposed to be great too. But teams throw a lot of money out and keep their players.
Joe Thorton
Patrick Marleau
Marian Hossa
Jaromir Jagr
Dany Heatley
Jason Spezza(RFA?)
Wade Redden
Brian Campbell
Ryan Getzlaf(RFA)
Henrik Lundquist(RFA?)
Jarome Iginla
Dion Phaneuf(RFA)
Sidney Crosby(RFA)
Dan Boyle
Alex Ovechkin(RFA)

So, this year class is unspectacular, but last year seems really great.
yeaa some of those teams did a good job of signing their star player before july 1st. Joe Thorton could have easily gotten more then 9 million but took around 7 so they can sign Patrick Marleau and have a good team.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 11:51 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I'm laughing SOOOOOOOOOOO hard at Bertuzzi and Afinogenov as "A" list talent while Horcoff and Connolly are "C" list talent.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Kriss E

Koivu is an A list UFA Agent
My 2cents.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Lafontaine

Honestly guys, I spent about 2 seconds dividing those groups, which is why I asked that I not be flamed over the divisions. I watch every Canadien game and no other games... pretty hard to say who the best players outside of Montreal are! Suppose you can argue over it if you want, but the point is there are a lot of good players there.

As I said in the original post, I know most of those guys will be tied down before 2009, but I think the '09 batch is so huge and impressive, at least some will be available.

Also, consider this - if the salary cap stops rising, and with so many top clubs having to fork over an extra $7-$10 per season to tie up their big players, I feel like whatever UFAs do hit the market may come at a cheaper price than some of the silly money given out last year for example. If Gaborik or say Lecavalier can be had for around $7 or $8 per, that is a far cry better than $10 million for Gomez or whatever Hossa will get during a weak UFA year in my opinion. These guys are younger and true franchise players.

I guess the point was; however it shakes up, with so many of the NHL's top players (and young ones at that!) ending their contracts all at the same time, it is a great time for MTL to change guard from 35/33 year old Kovalev/Koivu to some younger prime players!

Old
05-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Melvin Udall

[QUOTE=Lafontaine;14051879]Unbelievable! I know that lots of these guys will sign with their teams before next off-season, but it is really incredible how many superstars, and even just good first/second line younger players are on the market! Look at this:

SUPER CLASS UFAs:

SUPER CLASS RFAs:

"A" CLASS UFAs)

"B" CLASS UFAs)

"C" CLASS UFAs)

Plus SO many more!

Do you think Gainey is looking long term and targeting 2009? Koivu and Kovalev are UFAs. With so many 20-something superstars available, does he go an entirely new route two seasons from now?[/QUOTE]

Good question.

Problem: Can you name just one true impact UFA player, or, for that matter RFA player who, came from a US based team and signed with a Canadian based team? Just one!

If you are aware of one, just one, please inform me because I cannot think of even one!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote