HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

R.J Umberger

Old
05-07-2008, 03:22 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

vCash: 500
Uh, um.....who the hell is RJ Hamburglar? Oh please....why is this even a thread....in fact, why are any of us responding to this? I knew I shouldn't have gotten out of bed today.

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:51 PM
dedalus

Answer: A good young role player with size whom we let go to a division rival for nothing.

Next?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:02 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
he screwed the pooch?
Yep.

Quote:
all he did was let him go for a second round pick, and it was because they didn't like his attitude and he caused minor internal problems.
By all means cite these problems, as for his attitude, why do we hear nothing of his attitude with the Flyers? He's just fine there. Maybe his "attitude" was simply a product of the fact that he wouldn't sign for what the Blueshirts offered? In other words, maybe his "attitude" had more to do with Sather's hypocrisy than Umberger's mindset.

Quote:
they were rewarded a second round pick. i am sure the rangers have no regrets on passing up on second line player.
You may be right, and if you are, you're pointing to one of the ongoing problems with this adminsitration because lord knows, second liners with size are nothing to worry about having.

Quote:
as for clarke undressing him, all he did was sign a unrestricted free agent.
That's exactly right. Clarke and his scouting staff recognized the kid's potential, and they got him for nothing but money. Note that getting guys for nothing but money was supposed to be a Ranger specialty, but of course whereas the Rangers bought old UFAs that had lost their effectiveness in some cases, their drive in others, Clarke got a young UFA just entering his prime. The same young UFA who was instrumental in advancing his team to the conference finals.

"Undressed" seems about right to me.

Old
05-07-2008, 04:09 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Kaktus -- No one cares about your 3rd liner.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Answer: A good young role player with size whom we let go to a division rival for nothing.

Next?
We didn't let him go for nothing. We got a 2nd round pick which I believe we moved to move up and take Korpikoski -- and I have faith (really I don't even have a doubt) that he'll be better than Umberger ever will be.

Old
05-07-2008, 04:14 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
By all means cite these problems, as for his attitude, why do we hear nothing of his attitude with the Flyers? He's just fine there. Maybe his "attitude" was simply a product of the fact that he wouldn't sign for what the Blueshirts offered? In other words, maybe his "attitude" had more to do with Sather's hypocrisy than Umberger's mindset.
If he didn't have an attitude problem, why did Alex Giroux beat the living snot out of him the first chance he had against the Phantoms?

He rubbed the organization the wrong way and the other players the wrong way.

He wasn't let go for no real reason, dedalus, as much as you're trying to prove to us.

Maybe his attitude is better now because he has been humbled a bit by being let go by the Rangers? Maybe he just matured a bit after we let him go? Who really knows, but it was definitely reported that he was not liked by the other players during his little tryout in Hartford.

There's no possible chance he was let go for no reason.

We got a 2nd round pick for him that we moved to get a, in my mind, better player (if he hits his potential, obviously) in Korpikoski. I'd rather have that 2nd round pick than a guy who was not liked by the players in our system.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
shoothepuck

I hope Umberger makes Crosby into hamburger

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If he didn't have an attitude problem, why did Alex Giroux beat the living snot out of him the first chance he had against the Phantoms?
*Shrugs* Couldn't tell you what Giroux's problem is, dude. All I know is what the Flyers have, what the Rangers don't, and the ongoing excuses many Ranger fans make for Glen Sather's decision.

Quote:
He rubbed the organization the wrong way and the other players the wrong way.
Okay. Of which other players do you speak? Or is this a case of the Ranger organization saying , "A bunch of guys didn't like him"?

Quote:
Maybe his attitude is better now because he has been humbled a bit by being let go by the Rangers? Maybe he just matured a bit after we let him go? Who really knows
Well you seem to, Jonathan. Your entire defense of Sather rests on you knowing that Umberger had an attitude problem when he was in Hartford.

Quote:
There's no possible chance he was let go for no reason.
Well then it's a good thing I never claimed such, isn't it?

Quote:
We got a 2nd round pick for him that we moved to get a, in my mind, better player (if he hits his potential, obviously) in Korpikoski. I'd rather have that 2nd round pick than a guy who was not liked by the players in our system.
Great. If your mind becomes a reality and Korpikoski becomes a player worth Umberger and a 1st round pick, it will have been worth it. Personally, I don't like the odds of that, but we will see.

Old
05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Kaktus -- No one cares about your 3rd liner.
but then again our "3rd liner" would be top 4 scorer on your team if you know what I mean.

3 month ago some Rangers fans said that he would not even make NY Rangers team.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:44 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
but then again our "3rd liner" would be top 4 scorer on your team if you know what I mean.

3 month ago some Rangers fans said that he would not even make NY Rangers team.
On our offensively challenged team his numbers would probably not be anywhere near the same. He scored 13 goals on one of the best offensive teams in the league, I shudder to think his production on our team, especially through the first half of the season.

I love how a guy has a good playoff and people start jumping out of the woodwork to complain, God help us if Pascal Dupuis lights it up in the next round. I mean come on people, this is RJ Umberger we are talking about...

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
On our offensively challenged team his numbers would probably not be anywhere near the same. He scored 13 goals on one of the best offensive teams in the league, I shudder to think his production on our team, especially through the first half of the season.

I love how a guy has a good playoff and people start jumping out of the woodwork to complain, God help us if Pascal Dupuis lights it up in the next round. I mean come on people, this is RJ Umberger we are talking about...
You do not think R.J can score 20 goals on regular basis?

Old
05-08-2008, 09:43 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
He scored 13 on the best Philly team he's played on, to date.

Not only that, but this is his 3rd season in the NHL.

Let's get a grip on reality here.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
ehh, hes got a chance to sure, but saw does dawes and callahan and prucha and dubinsky and avery and...well just about any nhl caliber forward...

a 30-40 goal a season player is the one i'd really miss/regret giving up on..

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 02:18 PM
McRanger

Quote:
He hasn't hit his prime so I think its very possible, especially if he plays with good players. He could become a consistent offensive contributor next year or he could settle into putting up numbers like he did this year in the regular season.

Either way I don't think he has done nearly enough to warrant Ranger fans bemoaning his departure. Some people just need an excuse to complain, I am glad things are so good that this the best they can find.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
He hasn't hit his prime so I think its very possible, especially if he plays with good players. He could become a consistent offensive contributor next year or he could settle into putting up numbers like he did this year in the regular season.

Either way I don't think he has done nearly enough to warrant Ranger fans bemoaning his departure. Some people just need an excuse to complain, I am glad things are so good that this the best they can find.
fair enough.

Old
05-09-2008, 08:11 AM
JerseyRangers

Two words: John Druce

A great playoffs does not make a great player. A fail to see what all the excitement is about a guy who scored 13 goals this season. He's a good solid 3rd line player who may or may not develop into a 2nd line player. If any Ranger fan thinks that RJ Umberger is the missing piece which would get us past the Penguins I think they are way off.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote