HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone taken notice of the 2009 UFA class?

Old
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
Unbelievable! I know that lots of these guys will sign with their teams before next off-season, but it is really incredible how many superstars, and even just good first/second line younger players are on the market! Look at this:

SUPER CLASS UFAs:

Zetterberg, Lecavalier, Gaborik

SUPER CLASS RFAs:

Malkin, E. Staal!!! (not to mention, J. Staal, Statsny and Kopitar)

"A" CLASS UFAs)

D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Ryan Miller, Afinogenov, Kovalev, Havlat, Erik Cole, Tanguay, Komisarek, Bertuzzi, Biron, Ohlund...

"B" CLASS UFAs)

Franzen, Cammelleri, Koivu, Gionta, Madden, Sullivan, Zhubov, Lehtinen...

"C" CLASS UFAs)

Tkachuk, McDonald, Khabibulin, Morris, Horcoff, Leopold, Connolly, Niedermayer, Pahlsson...

Plus SO many more!

Do you think Gainey is looking long term and targeting 2009? Koivu and Kovalev are UFAs. With so many 20-something superstars available, does he go an entirely new route two seasons from now?

It's impossible to make UFA predictions for a couple months from now, let alone greater than a year in advance. That answers the question about Gainey's planning/predicting a 2009 opportunity.

You have to manage on a general course that emphasizes development and retention of draft picks. UFA signings are done based on the supply at hand to address needs of the moment. You can't plan UFA signings long term.

Do I think he's planning long term on the UFa signings? No, he can't . Nobody can.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:05 PM
morgan_mtl

[QUOTE=ND Irish;14057592][QUOTE=Lafontaine;14051879]Unbelievable! I know that lots of these guys will sign with their teams before next off-season, but it is really incredible how many superstars, and even just good first/second line younger players are on the market! Look at this:

SUPER CLASS UFAs:

Zetterberg, Lecavalier, Gaborik

SUPER CLASS RFAs:

Malkin, E. Staal!!! (not to mention, J. Staal, Statsny and Kopitar)

"A" CLASS UFAs)

D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Ryan Miller, Afinogenov, Kovalev, Havlat, Erik Cole, Tanguay, Komisarek, Bertuzzi, Biron, Ohlund...

"B" CLASS UFAs)

Franzen, Cammelleri, Koivu, Gionta, Madden, Sullivan, Zhubov, Lehtinen...

"C" CLASS UFAs)

Tkachuk, McDonald, Khabibulin, Morris, Horcoff, Leopold, Connolly, Niedermayer, Pahlsson...

Plus SO many more!

Do you think Gainey is looking long term and targeting 2009? Koivu and Kovalev are UFAs. With so many 20-something superstars available, does he go an entirely new route two seasons from now?[/QUOTE]

Good question.

Problem: Can you name just one true impact UFA player, or, for that matter RFA player who, came from a US based team and signed with a Canadian based team? Just one!

If you are aware of one, just one, please inform me because I cannot think of even one! [/QUOTE

Was pronger to edmonton a ufa signing ...i can't remember .... but that marriage did not last long ...lol

morgan_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Melvin Udall

[QUOTE=morgan_mtl;14057894][QUOTE=ND Irish;14057592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post

Was pronger to edmonton a ufa signing ...i can't remember .... but that marriage did not last long ...lol

NO, CHRIS PRONGER WAS PART OF A "HOUSE CLEANING" TRADE by St. Loius whereby ..................St. Louis Blues traded Chris Pronger to the Edmonton Oilers for Eric Brewer, Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch (such info is available on the TSN website on the NHL page and under "players").

And, if any one out there can name one impact UFA that has signed with a Canadian based team (during or near their so-called "prime" playing years), please point it out to me because I missed it!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:39 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Best chance is Gaborik or Lecavalier. And even that is half a dream

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
It's impossible to make UFA predictions for a couple months from now, let alone greater than a year in advance. That answers the question about Gainey's planning/predicting a 2009 opportunity.

You have to manage on a general course that emphasizes development and retention of draft picks. UFA signings are done based on the supply at hand to address needs of the moment. You can't plan UFA signings long term.

Do I think he's planning long term on the UFa signings? No, he can't . Nobody can.

I agree 100%!!! Not all, but many of those better palyers will likely be signed by their current teams. By July 1, 2009 that list could (and likely will) look much different!

Old
05-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_mtl View Post
Problem: Can you name just one true impact UFA player, or, for that matter RFA player who, came from a US based team and signed with a Canadian based team? Just one!

If you are aware of one, just one, please inform me because I cannot think of even one!
You could argue that Roman Hamrlik is the best free agent signing of last year....

You could also argue that Joe Nieuwendyk was still a prime player when he signed with Toronto... or Ed Belfour or Curtis Joseph. But yeah the examples of first tier guys are few.

Did Alex Mogilny sign as a UFA??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
You could argue that Roman Hamrlik is the best free agent signing of last year....

You could also argue that Joe Nieuwendyk was still a prime player when he signed with Toronto... or Ed Belfour or Curtis Joseph. But yeah the examples of first tier guys are few.

Did Alex Mogilny sign as a UFA??
I don't know about Mogilney.

(Only my opinion) I would not have considered Nieuwendyk, Belfour or Joseph to have been in their (respective) "prime(s)" when they signed with TO. At least some of those signings semed to be more like either a TO team desperate for help (what else is new) or, an aging player wanting to try to finish off a career closer to their (Ontario) home.

Roman Hamrlik, signed with the Habs from Calgary, did not sign as a UFA with Habs out of a US market based team.

Be that as it may, I think we agree upon the general "landscape" (so to speak) of UFA signings!

Old
05-10-2008, 12:15 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
I don't know about Mogilney.
I don't know why you have put "Mogilney" in bold but Beaker had the proper spelling and it's "Mogilny".

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote