HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we being modeled after Detroit or Dallas?

Old
05-09-2008, 04:34 PM
LV Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
WHEN?

No offense, but, Kovalev and Koivu, Habs 2 best forwards (by a big margin) are in the "twilight" (so to speak) of their respective careers.

So far as I can tell, the Habs have no body (of near equal talent) in the organization to take their respective places when they 'HANG THEM UP" (which makes signing impact UFAs a huge prioroty)!
Kovalev and Koivu aren't gone yet! I definitely think the Kostitsyns might put up better numbers over their careers than Kovalev. Not many players in the history of the game can match that guy's talent, but I think the ASK will have similar/better stats over the length of their careers respectively. As for Koivu I don't see anyone that can do what he does in the organization right now. Plekanec is a good 2nd line center and his numbers will start to match those of Koivu, but I don't think Plekanec will ever be as good as Koivu.

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Hab View Post
Kovalev and Koivu aren't gone yet!
.......As for Koivu I don't see anyone that can do what he does in the organization right now. Plekanec is a good 2nd line center and his numbers will start to match those of Koivu, but I don't think Plekanec will ever be as good as Koivu.

Couldn't agree with you more!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'd take Gorges, moving it from his own end, Bouillon , like the op said, tends to skate it out. Gorges runs into trouble in the o zone, I don't know if his hands freeze up or what he does, but he just seems to have nothing once he joins the offense. He has the wheels, but......
i can understand.
I was like him when i played hockey at first. I played goalie than D all my life and can get the puck out of my zone in a hurry but once in the O zone i'd freeze, although i did have a better shot than Gorges (relatively/comparatively of course cause i'm sure his shot is better than mine ne on one).

It's confidence, i thought i couldnt pull off a move to get deeper and would be affraid to lose the puck. He's really a shut down defenseman and thats always the first thing and biggest thing on his mind.

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Beakermania*

Kovalev will be replaced by AKost.... we need to find Koivu's replacement.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:04 PM
tinyzombies

I think we need two more quality puck movers on D and need to find a couple guys who will go to the net like Holmstrom and Franzen.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Kovalev will be replaced by AKost.... we need to find Koivu's replacement.

At least to me, looked like Kovalev (having a MVP-type season) helped elevate the play of Pleks and A. Kostitsyn this season.

So far, A. Kostitsyn has not shown me the ability to raise the play of his line mates.

Hope he can develop into that kind of player -- assuming he remains in Montreal(?)

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
I think we need two more quality puck movers on D and need to find a couple guys who will go to the net like Holmstrom and Franzen.
We have em: Brisebois and Dandeneault.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:37 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
We have em: Brisebois and Dandeneault.
Maybe we could strap them together and stick them in the crease?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:09 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
I think Gainey's comments apply here. His words about improving from within. I think we tend to look at our players and see what's lacking, then look outside. That's fine, if you look at finished products. Holmstrom came into the league wanting to muck it up down low, but it took a long time for him to become productive at it.

Good puck moving d men is a good way to describe them, but I think the elements are on the team or witrhin the system. From what BG said in his wrap up, I think that's the org's view. To bolster the defensive corps, with better passing abilities, who leaves ? The 1st pairing is fine, despite a sub par playoff. I can see discussion on who plays with Hamrlik, be it Streit, O'bryne. The bottom pairing is fine, esp. as a bottom pairing. Bouillon isn't a great passer and is what he is, a 6th d man, who brings a bit of intangible at times, but I don't see where a new guy's fitting in, unless a rookie forces a change.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote