HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion about Sundin today After Maurice firing.

Old
05-09-2008, 11:10 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Yeah, that shows he's CLUTCH. Not like Lidstrom, Forsberg, Zetterberg, Lundqvist, Alfredsson, Sedins, Ohlund, Holmstrom had nothing to do with that? It was all about Mats showing how clutch he was.

Mats can take his gold medal and retire back to Sweden. He's not a the warrior we need in the middle and he's not welcome here. A proven playoff performer like Forsberg. That's a different story.

It's amazing how Sundin gets put in the same category as the greats like Yzerman, Sakic, Francis, Trottier. He hasn't earned that. He's a level below that caliber of player. He gets elevated by playing in Toronto where he is treated like a god for some reason.

He's essentially Pierre Turgeon all over again. Similar stats, similar non-impact player in the playoffs. So you're asking me do I want a 37-year old Pierre Turgeon clone next season? No thanks.
WOW. WOW.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 02:18 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I'd love to see Mats play in Montreal. He is a big centermen who can put up points and he is a great leader.....but we don't really have room for him. We would have to move Plekanec or Koivu to make room for Sundin on the top 2 lines and I don't see either of those things happening.

Sundin will return to the Leafs and continue to miss the playoffs!!! Have fun with that Mats.
we don't really have room for him ?

He would be the best player of the Habs , and you are saying we don't have room for him !

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 02:18 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Yeah, that shows he's CLUTCH. Not like Lidstrom, Forsberg, Zetterberg, Lundqvist, Alfredsson, Sedins, Ohlund, Holmstrom had nothing to do with that? It was all about Mats showing how clutch he was.

Mats can take his gold medal and retire back to Sweden. He's not a the warrior we need in the middle and he's not welcome here. A proven playoff performer like Forsberg. That's a different story.

It's amazing how Sundin gets put in the same category as the greats like Yzerman, Sakic, Francis, Trottier. He hasn't earned that. He's a level below that caliber of player. He gets elevated by playing in Toronto where he is treated like a god for some reason.

He's essentially Pierre Turgeon all over again. Similar stats, similar non-impact player in the playoffs. So you're asking me do I want a 37-year old Pierre Turgeon clone next season? No thanks.
Sundin must have not signed an autograph for you or something like that...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
And to clear it up right now, I am not suggesting its the wise course of action, just that I kinda feel thats what going to happen.
I disagree. If Mats wants to come back, he'll be back, IMO.

But you never know.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
I disagree. If Mats wants to come back, he'll be back, IMO.

But you never know.
This is obvious. The Leafs while short on winning these days are long on image consciousness. While Vito from Woodbridge on a car phone might be calling into question Sundin's usefulness or boldly proclaiming that the team needs atomic bombing, history will show Sundin to be one of the Leaf greats in terms of performance, dedication, and loyalty to his employer and fans. If the Leafs don't want another year of that they're a poorer organization than even the most hateful hab fan believes.

Having said that it would give me great pleasure to see a divorce, and Montreal there to sweep Sundin up on the rebound.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
This is obvious. The Leafs while short on winning these days are long on image consciousness. While Vito from Woodbridge on a car phone might be calling into question Sundin's usefulness or boldly proclaiming that the team needs atomic bombing, history will show Sundin to be one of the Leaf greats in terms of performance, dedication, and loyalty to his employer and fans. If the Leafs don't want another year of that they're a poorer organization than even the most hateful hab fan believes.

Having said that it would give me great pleasure to see a divorce, and Montreal there to sweep Sundin up on the rebound.
Im not as convinced Toronto wants Sundin back..
I think they really want to start from scratch, turning the page on the Sundin Era wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post

Ahhh Vito from woodbridge....

Dougie Gilmour!!!

Funniest thing on the Fan590.... Don Landry does the voice for those who don't know.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Im not as convinced Toronto wants Sundin back..
I think they really want to start from scratch, turning the page on the Sundin Era wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Toronto's not going to do a full-out rebuild, no matter how much the fans want.

Toronto's not going to endure a 3-year period near the bottom of the league, collecting high draft picks...no matter whether it will be helpful to the team's future or not.

Old
05-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Toronto's not going to do a full-out rebuild, no matter how much the fans want.

Toronto's not going to endure a 3-year period near the bottom of the league, collecting high draft picks...no matter whether it will be helpful to the team's future or not.
This constant fighting for 8th is doing them no favours though.... they never acquire the cheap young assets or the cap space necessary for a real rebuild and they will always be mired in mediocrity....

Best case scenario is making the playoffs, maybe win a round.... but the Stanley Cup is just a pipe dream without real change IMO.

Old
05-09-2008, 06:11 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudethedude66 View Post
So I was listening to some AM station while driving through Toronto today and some host of some show was saying how there is a strong possibility that Sundin could play in Montreal next year. I know I have no links or names...but thats not what Im here for....What I want to know is, does anyone think that it is a posibility?
And for whomever wants to argue about stations or links...I believe the station was 1010 am...not sure...Don't know Toronto stations well
No..

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
This constant fighting for 8th is doing them no favours though.... they never acquire the cheap young assets or the cap space necessary for a real rebuild and they will always be mired in mediocrity....

Best case scenario is making the playoffs, maybe win a round.... but the Stanley Cup is just a pipe dream without real change IMO.
You're preaching to the choir. You and I both know that gutting this team and building slowly through the draft/prospects is the right thing to do.

But it's not going to happen.

Old
05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
No..
Its fine, the rumor has been confirmed by multiple posters, and I myself have heard Al Strachen discussing it at TheScore.

Old
05-09-2008, 06:20 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Koivu and Him are mortal enemies

MORTALLLLLLLLL KOMBAT!

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
We'll see what happens. I think its quite unlikely he would come to Montréal.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
Koivu and Him are mortal enemies

MORTALLLLLLLLL KOMBAT!
Speaking of that, I was playing with my housemate's cat the other day by having him chase a laser pointer around, and I got him to run around in a circle enough times that when he stopped, he kept shaking in circles just like when the "FINISH HIM!" thing appears in MK.

Old
05-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Ahhh Vito from woodbridge....

Dougie Gilmour!!!

Funniest thing on the Fan590.... Don Landry does the voice for those who don't know.
Actually Landy doesn't do that one...

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Actually Landy doesn't do that one...
i thought he did all the morning show voices..... who does??

Old
05-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Capitano

Quote:
i thought he did all the morning show voices..... who does??
Landry does Mike Tyson, Bill Clinton, Dr. Phil, Pavel Kubina

There is another guy - I think it's the producer of the show (last name is Zammit I think) that does John Ferguson Jr, Vito from Woodbridge, and Ken Dryden. Although Landry did play Vito's dad in a skit once...

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Turboflex*

Even if Toronto wanted him, and he wanted to go back to stinktown again...Money Talks.

If Gainey could afford to throw 8-9 million at him on a 1 year contract, would Toronto match that, or have they only budgeted 5-6 million max lowballing him for a hometown discount? Also would Toronto match it if it meant possibly passing up a chance to go after a younger long-term replacement guy (big RFA offer sheet for Carter?).

Sundin has made himself a pretty nice pile of cash over the years, but even a guy who's already rich has to be looking at the numbers, and if it comes down to 8-9 million vs 5-6 mill, that's a spicy meatball.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Even if Toronto wanted him, and he wanted to go back to stinktown again...Money Talks.

If Gainey could afford to throw 8-9 million at him on a 1 year contract, would Toronto match that, or have they only budgeted 5-6 million max lowballing him for a hometown discount? Also would Toronto match it if it meant possibly passing up a chance to go after a younger long-term replacement guy (big RFA offer sheet for Carter?).

Sundin has made himself a pretty nice pile of cash over the years, but even a guy who's already rich has to be looking at the numbers, and if it comes down to 8-9 million vs 5-6 mill, that's a spicy meatball.
I'd do that on a one-year contract for Sundin as a UFA. Even at his age he's better than Marian Hossa.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:36 PM
ed ible*

Actually there is only one other reason why it is a possiblity we could land Sundin UFA.
He would of gave Fletcher a list of teams that he would of wanted to play for at the deadline.
Maybe Montreal was one of them but Fletch was asking too much and Bob said no.
So..............Bob now can get Sundin for nothing and Sundin takes the cake and comes to Montreal.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Geese_Howard*

Although it's nice seeing sundin get praise from habs fans... I'd kill MLSE upper management if Sundin signed with the habs... The mere thought of Sundin in a habs jersey gives me the stomach pains

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 10:07 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
Although it's nice seeing sundin get praise from habs fans... I'd kill MLSE upper management if Sundin signed with the habs... The mere thought of Sundin in a habs jersey gives me the stomach pains
You just might need some Pepto....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Habs have a lot of cap room for 2008-2009 (but not 2009-2010) so I could see Gainey throwing a ton of money at Jagr/Sundin (over 7-8 mill or more) on a 1 year contract to give the habs serious vet depth for their centennial run. Guys like Jagr or Sundin will still be studs in the playoffs, but the habs won't be relying on them. I think this is almost assuridly the scenario Gainey will pursue for next season, BOOK IT.

I think its a really cool idea to give a loaded 1 yr deal to players who are getting into the "year to year" mentality like jagr or sundin. Yes, its a risk, but is it a bigger risk than giving hossa a 6 or 7 year deal with the same kind of money involved? If it is a mistake, you can erase it relatively quickly, either at the trade deadline or in the next off season.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 03:53 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
I never thought I'd see the day...GILMOUR in a HABS jersey!!

But...it happened!!

(not bugging you, just curious...how did you feel when you saw Gilmour in a HABs jersey? was it strange? surreal? it was slightly strange but in a good way for me!).

Gilmour is probably the best player (or top 3) in the history of LEAFS, no?
Sundin/Gilmour
Gilmour/Sundin
Clark
Salming?
Rick Vaive (kidding!)

I'm probably forgetting a few (sorry)...

p.s.: confession...I despised Gilmour as a LEAF, but absolutely loved him as a HAB!
Also, back to topic...I'd love to see Sundin in a HABS jersey for 1 year (he'd make a great 3rd line center...just kidding, he'd be our #1 center for a year or #1A center, etc...).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote