HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kolzig as our backup?

Old
05-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I think Halak deserves 20-30 games, and I think he can get that here, with Price playing 52-62. I see absolutely ZERO need to play Price more than 62 games, do you?
Gainey has control over Halak, he'll play whatever he's told to play.

My concern is not with Halak playing 20-30 games and being dissatisfied, it's that he'll play 40+ games because it's needed as a contingency for Price's mediocre play.

Replacing a young strong performing goalie with a withering bottom rung player is a bad move. It's even a worse move considering the inconsistency we just witnessed from Price.

The idea on the subject line is a non starter.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post

My concern is not with Halak playing 20-30 games and being dissatisfied, it's that he'll play 40+ games because it's needed as a contingency for Price's mediocre play.

Replacing a young strong performing goalie with a withering bottom rung player is a bad move. It's even a worse move considering the inconsistency we just witnessed from Price.

What a bad post.

First, Gainey doesn't have full control. Halak can always go play in Europe....as is feared and has been discussed through much of the season.

Second, calling Price mediocre is ridiculous. He had some of the best rookie numbers by a NHL goalie in years and he's only 20 years old....he's way ahead of where his learning curve should be. Luongo and Brodeur finished their seasons on poor notes too.....does this mean they are mediocre?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Corey

Quote:

How did that mediocre 20-year-old manage to shut out the Bruins twice and hold them to one goal once? Maybe it's a mystery to you but it isn't to me. That kid has great talent.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
How did that mediocre 20-year-old manage to shut out the Bruins twice and hold them to one goal once? Maybe it's a mystery to you but it isn't to me. That kid has great talent.
You apparently missed the rest of the 11 games played, and his mid season demotion.

I said my concern is that Halak may be needed in case of Prices mediocre play. His 07/08 mediocre play is a matter of record. Look up the word contingency on encarta, and there's not a picture of Kolzig there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
What a bad post.

First, Gainey doesn't have full control. Halak can always go play in Europe....as is feared and has been discussed through much of the season.

Second, calling Price mediocre is ridiculous. He had some of the best rookie numbers by a NHL goalie in years and he's only 20 years old....he's way ahead of where his learning curve should be. Luongo and Brodeur finished their seasons on poor notes too.....does this mean they are mediocre?
Halak can retire too, or play goal in some mid week Saskatchewan broomball association, maybe he's threatened to leave his wife. He's got limitless threats to blurt out.

But a smart person would bide his time in the NHL snakes and ladders game, and put together a solid well paying career in the best paying league in hockey.

Stop the hyperbole on Price. The emphasis on his age and potential over his actual play will eventually get tiring.

Keep Halak , that's the obvious best option in any scenario. Anyone suggesting Holzig be signed is just not paying attention.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-10-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
You apparently missed the rest of the 11 games played, and his mid season demotion.

I said my concern is that Halak may be needed in case of Prices mediocre play. His 07/08 mediocre play is a matter of record. Look up the word contingency on encarta, and there's not a picture of Kolzig there.
So let's see, he had two shutouts in the playoffs and played lousy in the other 11 games??? Even in the Habs other three playoff wins?? Maybe he should have had shutouts every game.

There's no sense to even try to reason.....

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 05:58 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Halak can retire too, or play goal in some mid week Saskatchewan broomball association, maybe he's threatened to leave his wife. He's got limitless threats to blurt out.

But a smart person would bide his time in the NHL snakes and ladders game, and put together a solid well paying career in the best paying league in hockey.

Stop the hyperbole on Price. The emphasis on his age and potential over his actual play will eventually get tiring.
Keep Halak , that's the obvious best option in any scenario. Anyone suggesting Holzig be signed is just not paying attention.
Placing the blame for our second round exit on Price has become more than tiring. It's as though we scored 5 goals a game reading some of these posts. When was the last time one of our goalies got 2 shutouts in the playoffs?

Yeah Price played poorly in 3 games from my point of view but the rest were winnable if any one of the underachieving forwards would have parked his rear end in front of the net and screened the goalie. Had we buried any of our 100 chances maybe we'd still be at the dance instead of running down Price.

Price will come back next season fresh and with some experience behind him. I have faith in the kid because he has shown that he can handle alot. He's proved it at every level and will prove it here to.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Halak will play about 30 games this year (or maybe 50, who knows if he plays good enough to take the starters job from Price).

That's the good thing with two great young goalies, there is healthy competition. Price was obviously the man this year, but now with Huet out of the picture... there is going to be goalie controversy again next season.

Plus, Halak said he won't go to Russia until much later in his career (probably after he retires from the NHL).

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote