HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#37 to play tomorrow?

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2004, 11:46 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
#37 to play tomorrow?

I was following Bill Clement's chat over on ESPN.com. He said there may be a chance that Rico plays tomorrow. It may be true, it may not be. We have heard that his arm has healed faster than expected. They said that if the Flyers make it to the Finals, he would be back. Finals start Tuesday, so what if he comes back 4 days early. We'll see tomorrow.

Old
05-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Honnestly, I hope he won't be there! This team has a tremendous chemistry. Rico is a great player but if he comes just for the Game 7, it could be really costly. Remember the Big E in 2000...

Old
05-21-2004, 12:02 PM
fan mao rong

Seems like if he's healthy, then they just need somebody to play steady defense, then Desjardins could do that in lieu of Seidenberg or Jones or Slaney, then that would be a good gamble. They don't need a superstar focal point, and that was the Lindros situation.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:03 PM
swflyers8*

I don't think Rico would be that much of a disruption. He's a righthanded shot that we desperately need on the powerplay and just offense in general.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
I don't think Rico would be that much of a disruption. He's a righthanded shot that we desperately need on the powerplay and just offense in general.
True but as healthy as he might be, I don't think they can rely on his shot to get them through to the next round, I think if used properly, his defensive game can help close some holes in the crease area. Let's not foget he's only played a couple of games in the last several months.

Last edited by Teezax: 05-21-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old
05-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Dr Love

Hate to say it, but as long as he's given limited minutes then I'm okay with it. If he takes Seidenberg's playing time, then that's fine. He's going to be rusty and I would imagine not very physical (not that he is in the first place, but even less so). I don't want a rusty injured guy playing significant time cold turkey.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:27 PM
swflyers8*

I wouldn't give him a boatload minutes but it would be helpful to have a guy with his experience out there with a Seidenberg. He doesn't need to be all over, just there to back Dennis up. It would take less pressure off of Dennis and Joni for that matter.
He doesn't need to log the big minutes, Kim, Matty, Danny and the workhorse Vlad can do that. He would be a calming force for the 2 rookies.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
I wouldn't give him a boatload minutes but it would be helpful to have a guy with his experience out there with a Seidenberg. He doesn't need to be all over, just there to back Dennis up. It would take less pressure off of Dennis and Joni for that matter.
He doesn't need to log the big minutes, Kim, Matty, Danny and the workhorse Vlad can do that. He would be a calming force for the 2 rookies.
True but if Rico was in, then Seidenberg wouldn't be playing.

Old
05-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Diesel

The whole point of Desjardins playing in game 7, if he's healthy enough, would be as a morale booster. He's not going to get alot of minutes, and they don't NEED him to win, but he's certainly not going to hurt them UNLESS he gets reinjured in the game and they end up down a dman.

Old
05-21-2004, 01:06 PM
MojoJojo

OK, Desjardins returning to the line up would be absolutely huge. Healed, rested and Healthy. He's a fitness nut so his condition is not a question mark, especially if he only plays fifteen minutes a night or so (when 100% he logs twice that). He is also an experienced player, and perhaps the smartest player on the team, with the best hockey sense. He wont be banged up like JR, or have any small nagging like Johnsson that will interfer with his puck handling or shot. He would be an easy improvement over both Pitkanen and Seidenberg. Its hard to over emphasize just how much we could use him back right now.

Old
05-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Why not use him as a 7th d-man and use 11 forwards? If he goes down then we're short a forward and not a defenseman. This is all hypothetical speculation though. I wouldn't believe it until I saw #37 skating around in the pre-game skate.

Old
05-21-2004, 03:02 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

I think it could only help. He's experienced, a right handed shot and rested (maybe hurting, but rested).

-cnote-

Old
05-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Dykhuis26

Seidenberg played all of 5 minutes last game and coughed up a goal.
Who wouldn't want Desjardins in there for those spot minutes? I believe he can play 10 minutes of solid D and give our team a boost. Johnsson, Markov, and Malakhov all played 30+ last night and have to be a little tired.

Old
05-21-2004, 03:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
Honnestly, I hope he won't be there! This team has a tremendous chemistry. Rico is a great player but if he comes just for the Game 7, it could be really costly. Remember the Big E in 2000...

Yes, and when Desjardins comes back, everyone else is going to watch him try to win game 7. This isn't Lindros, and this isn't 2000 and anyone who wants to compare Desjardins and Lindros is divilged in pure lunacy.

And what chemestry? As long as he's not playing on Primeau's left side, or the defensemen want to contribute in giving up 4 goals in a must win game again, i say take the good with the bad and let him play. Hitchcock will trust and play an injured Desjardins before a healthy Seidenberg.

Old
05-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Why not use him as a 7th d-man and use 11 forwards? If he goes down then we're short a forward and not a defenseman. This is all hypothetical speculation though. I wouldn't believe it until I saw #37 skating around in the pre-game skate.
Play 6 D. If Desjardins goes down, Kapanen can go back and someone can double shift on the 4th line.

Old
05-21-2004, 04:46 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
I would take a busted up Eric than a out of shape Seidenberg

Old
05-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Gert B Frobe

I can't imagine how his arm could be ready by tomorrow... sounds like wishful thinking at best.

I'd love to see him come back and log 15 minutes or so, maybe play the PP a little. Couldn't hurt that's fer sure.

Old
05-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Hate to say it, but as long as he's given limited minutes then I'm okay with it. If he takes Seidenberg's playing time, then that's fine. He's going to be rusty and I would imagine not very physical (not that he is in the first place, but even less so). I don't want a rusty injured guy playing significant time cold turkey.
Agreed. I wouldn't have much of a problem with him returning if he played in place of Seidenberg. Giving him many more minutes than that would be a mistake in my opinion.

Old
05-21-2004, 06:47 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I am absolutely O.K. with it. he can go out there and just play defense. I don't care if he can't shoot on net.

the one problem will be that Tampa will go after his arm.

BTW, on the Howard Eskin show. he said that he talked with Rico and that he didn't say yes or no but from his expression, it didn't look good. but what the hell does Eskin know anyway?

Old
05-21-2004, 07:57 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
. but what the hell does Eskin know anyway?

furs

Old
05-21-2004, 08:12 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
Very true, but Seidenberg being stuck in has had what must be more damaging effects than if Desjardins enters.

Old
05-21-2004, 11:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
I am absolutely O.K. with it. he can go out there and just play defense. I don't care if he can't shoot on net.

the one problem will be that Tampa will go after his arm.

BTW, on the Howard Eskin show. he said that he talked with Rico and that he didn't say yes or no but from his expression, it didn't look good. but what the hell does Eskin know anyway?
exactly if Martin St. Louis would slash Zhamnov gloveless hand you dont think he wouldnt think twice about going after that arm?

Old
05-22-2004, 06:51 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
but what the hell does Eskin know anyway?
Flowers (roses to be more specific)....

Old
05-22-2004, 06:52 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
exactly if Martin St. Louis would slash Zhamnov gloveless hand you dont think he wouldnt think twice about going after that arm?
I had the same thought...

Old
05-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Team Canada be damned, somebody should put that midget's head through the boards.

Closed Thread