HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Gatineau Olympiques win the cup!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-10-2008, 12:16 PM
  #26
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,507
vCash: 500
Wasn't there a rumor that Groulx would end up being the assistant coach of Lever with the Dogs? Where did I hear that?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 12:21 PM
  #27
Gumbercules
Registered User
 
Gumbercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wasn't there a rumor that Groulx would end up being the assistant coach of Lever with the Dogs? Where did I hear that?
I heard he was leaving for a head coaching position in the AHL. Not sure where I heard that either. Needless to say, he has NHL written all over him.

Gumbercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 04:06 PM
  #28
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't really care that we didn't pick Giroux. He's not going to bring anything new to this team that's not already in place or coming up. Sure he's got offensive talent, but in the WJC he showed he was inconsistent at key times. He's not big, he doesn't play big and wouldn't add that much different of a dynamic to our offence.

I can certainly see why our scouts went for Fischer instead. You don't get too many smooth skating defencemen with the offensive upside and hockey smarts of Fischer who is as tall as he is. He needs to put on weight and he's got a long developmental road in front of him, but if he becomes what the scouts thought he would, well, he's going to be a commodity that's seldolm seen around the NHL. I prefer that risk than to add another soft-ish offensive player who put up big numbers in the Q.
If Claude Giroux's name was John Smith, you would be all over him.

Of course, he is just a Frenchie from Northern Ontario...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 05:14 PM
  #29
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't really care that we didn't pick Giroux. He's not going to bring anything new to this team that's not already in place or coming up. Sure he's got offensive talent, but in the WJC he showed he was inconsistent at key times. He's not big, he doesn't play big and wouldn't add that much different of a dynamic to our offence.

I can certainly see why our scouts went for Fischer instead. You don't get too many smooth skating defencemen with the offensive upside and hockey smarts of Fischer who is as tall as he is. He needs to put on weight and he's got a long developmental road in front of him, but if he becomes what the scouts thought he would, well, he's going to be a commodity that's seldolm seen around the NHL. I prefer that risk than to add another soft-ish offensive player who put up big numbers in the Q.
I don't. And with all the prospects or young players we have who play RD (Komisarek, O'Byrne, Subban, Carle, Weber, etc) how can he become a regular RD with the habs???

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 05:33 PM
  #30
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I don't. And with all the prospects or young players we have who play RD (Komisarek, O'Byrne, Subban, Carle, Weber, etc) how can he become a regular RD with the habs???
Chances are that at least 1 of O'B, Subban, Carle, Weber, Fischer will bust.... you can't expect every prospect to make it... and if we have extra RD in the future we can't use, young D are always valuable and can always get you good assets in a trade.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 05:38 PM
  #31
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Thought this would be a good place to put this.

You don't have to believe me if you don't want to but, I'm from Northern Ontario (Iroquois Falls), and one of my good buddies whom I went to University with here in Ottawa knows Claude quite well since they grew up in Hearst and my buddy's good friends with his sister (although my buddy's a few years older).

He's told me that Claude is a HUGE habs fan and Claude is convinced that he will be playing for the Habs at some point. He told me that Claude was even cheering for the Habs when they were playing the Flyers this past series.

Would be nice to have him come here whenever his contract is up.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:35 PM
  #32
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,298
vCash: 50
Sea dogs

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:43 PM
  #33
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Would be nice to have him come here whenever his contract is up.
And one day, we'll offer a 10 millions per year contract and he'll choose another team in the last second...

Was actually not pulling for him in 2006, was on the Berglund bandwagon but Giroux was close 2nd.

It's great to hear this. Though you know how this work. He haven't had a chance to play in the NHL yet. So he'll accomodate himself and then Philly will be home and he'll vaguely remember Montreal. Or even if he does, he'll have a chance to visit all the other cities and might choose them for whatever reason.

I find it nice that he thought that way. But it doesn't mean anything as far as where he's headed in the future....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:49 PM
  #34
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,522
vCash: 500
Still have an hard time understanding why we didn't pick him.

Fischer might be a good defenceman, but I don't think he'll be a better player.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:56 PM
  #35
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I don't. And with all the prospects or young players we have who play RD (Komisarek, O'Byrne, Subban, Carle, Weber, etc) how can he become a regular RD with the habs???
I do and don't. First, you can't wonder why we picked Fischer since the guys you named are in the org. Neither Subban and Weber were there at the time. Then like Beaker said, you never know who will be a miss. I can honestly see Weber not being able to miss 'cause of his defensive play. Same for Carle, while Subban could definately be a boom or bust prospect. Or, all the d-men you named could be part of a trade. We would not have picked Price at the time based on the fact that we had José....

Where I do, is like what WTK said. I'm impressed by how smooth he is, how intelligent he is with the puck, how great defensively he is, he's almost impossible to beat 1 on 1 despite not being strong enough, imagine when he'll be. But what we might have, and I stress "might" 'cause the learning curve for a D is longer, is his offensive awareness, shot and everything related to the offense and that's pretty dissapointing so far. If he ends in the NHL as a #5-#6 defensive D à la Mike Lalor, that would not have justified a 1st rounder especially if Giroux will end up in a top 2 or if Berglund ends up a top 2 centerman with size....

Where I don't is that I didn't hear enough good things about him throughout the scouts and the league to justify to pick him that soon for a guy who EVERYBODY was saying "Big raw project". Clearly , a 4-year wait for already inevitable at the time. And clearly Timmins went for him 'cause of the guy that recommanded him after having seen him play for the longest time ever, wouldn't be surprise to hear that the Habs are the team that scouted him the most. And still, it might blew in our face.

That trend is pretty strange for the Habs point of view. At one point we kept scouting the Montreal Rocket and went there for a lot of games, obviously the fact that it was nearby didn't hurt. So what do we do with the team that was scouted the most by the Habs??? We ended up picking Urquhart, Bonneau, Lambert and Lapierre....

What it means for now on??? Don't scout the players on a long period of time...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 06:59 PM
  #36
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I do and don't. First, you can't wonder why we picked Fischer since the guys you named are in the org. Neither Subban and Weber were there at the time. Then like Beaker said, you never know who will be a miss. I can honestly see Weber not being able to miss 'cause of his defensive play. Same for Carle, while Subban could definately be a boom or bust prospect. Or, all the d-men you named could be part of a trade. We would not have picked Price at the time based on the fact that we had José....

Where I do, is like what WTK said. I'm impressed by how smooth he is, how intelligent he is with the puck, how great defensively he is, he's almost impossible to beat 1 on 1 despite not being strong enough, imagine when he'll be. But what we might have, and I stress "might" 'cause the learning curve for a D is longer, is his offensive awareness, shot and everything related to the offense and that's pretty dissapointing so far. If he ends in the NHL as a #5-#6 defensive D à la Mike Lalor, that would not have justified a 1st rounder especially if Giroux will end up in a top 2 or if Berglund ends up a top 2 centerman with size....

Where I don't is that I didn't hear enough good things about him throughout the scouts and the league to justify to pick him that soon for a guy who EVERYBODY was saying "Big raw project". Clearly , a 4-year wait for already inevitable at the time. And clearly Timmins went for him 'cause of the guy that recommanded him after having seen him play for the longest time ever, wouldn't be surprise to hear that the Habs are the team that scouted him the most. And still, it might blew in our face.

That trend is pretty strange for the Habs point of view. At one point we kept scouting the Montreal Rocket and went there for a lot of games, obviously the fact that it was nearby didn't hurt. So what do we do with the team that was scouted the most by the Habs??? We ended up picking Urquhart, Bonneau, Lambert and Lapierre....

What it means for now on??? Don't scout the players on a long period of time...
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... in fairness this is how we found Sergei Kostitsyn, and Grabovski cause we wouldn't have seen either if we weren't scouting Andrei.....

I'm sure there are more examples, but I can't think of them right now... but it works both ways.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 07:54 PM
  #37
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wasn't there a rumor that Groulx would end up being the assistant coach of Lever with the Dogs? Where did I hear that?
It's from my post, and it came from Alain Sanscartier, the Hens' radio analyst and well-plugged hockey personality here in Gatineau; he manages the midget AAA franchise/school program. He said that he was going to Hamilton, the deal was already signed, sealed and delivered. I assumed it was to be an assistant, because I think that Don Lever is Gainey's man, but nothing can be a sure thing in that business. Who knows? Maybe they want a younger coach who can grow with the next generation of Habbies coming through?

I know AH hates it when I pimp Groulx, but he is the best in the Q, and top 3 in the CHL. His record proves it.

He's a solid teacher of the game. And he can be a mean mo-fo.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 07:58 PM
  #38
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
My other theory, and it's just personal, is that Groulx is going to coach Pheonix' AHL franchise. Charlie Henry, the greatest junior hockey mind in the country, still has ties to the Yotes and Gretzky. And I wouldn't be surprised if Groulx gets to coach the Yotes farm team.

Groulx groomed himself for the AHL very intelligently: he was asked to get more fluent in english (to prevent him from the Michel Therrien syndrome), and to get leanier (the guy was friggin huge). He did re-gain a bit of the weight he had lost, but he's not the big tub of lard he used to be. He went to seminars, went coaching the under 18, assisted Sutter at the Russian series last summer, etc. He's got a hefty resume.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:37 PM
  #39
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Back in 2006, I wanted the Habs to grab Giroux at the 20th spot... but they chose instead a no name guy David Fischer...

By the looks of it now, Claude Giroux is going to be a star in the NHL, while David Fischer will be a marginal player...

Let's wait a few years to see, but I was so frustrated that they pass on Giroux.


As for WeThreeKings, Giroux > Voracek, and I'm a huge fan of Voracek.


Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:40 PM
  #40
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

By the looks of it now, Claude Giroux is going to be a star in the NHL, while David Fischer will be a marginal player...
Marginal?

no must be kidding, he have everything he needs to be a good player, not a superstar but still.
Have you read the resume of Fisher's progress this year? The more responsibilities they gave him, the best he became
He may never be a top 2 D but he have what it takes to be top 6 and it's not even close

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:28 AM
  #41
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Back in 2006, I wanted the Habs to grab Giroux at the 20th spot... but they chose instead a no name guy David Fischer...
Okay.....Fischer was a no-name to you and some armchair scout but what is a no-name in a prospect world? Is a Mr. Hockey in Minnesota a no-name? Sure it's not all the Minnesota Mr. Hockey that ended up with great careers in the NHL but still in the "prospect world", when you win that title, you're far from being a no-name.

But if your reference is that "somebody you didn't know", well so be it, I didn't know him myself that much.

Don't mean a thing though, Esposito was far from being a no-name, let's see how many no-names passes him by as far as NHL potential....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:31 AM
  #42
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... in fairness this is how we found Sergei Kostitsyn, and Grabovski cause we wouldn't have seen either if we weren't scouting Andrei.....

I'm sure there are more examples, but I can't think of them right now... but it works both ways.
Honestly....scouting a team over an expensive period of time should work all the time. It's going there 2 or 3 times and work with the few number of times that it could go one way or the other and while most people keep saying that is a crapshoot. 'Cause you go there when the kid is in a slump and for whatever reason you don't go back, well you're stuck with that mental image in your head.

But you use a guy who pratically sees him every game AND you go there yourself tons of times, way more than the others teams, I really don't see how you can miss one way or the other.

But I also know that as much as you see a prospect, if he doesn't develop, there's nothing you could have done while watching him.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:02 AM
  #43
Kachino
Registered User
 
Kachino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: China
Posts: 5,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
By the looks of it now, Claude Giroux is going to be a star in the NHL, while David Fischer will be a marginal player...

Let's wait a few years to see, but I was so frustrated that they pass on Giroux.
Have you heard about David Fischer's good/great progression this year or was it only about Claude Giroux's tremendous one? (which is completely understandable since we live in Quebec.)

From the University of Minnesota website:
Quote:
6'3'' 192 lbs. • Strong skating defenseman who plays a steady game and makes the players around him better can hit the breakout pass and rarely makes a mental mistake • leader on and off the ice • did not start playing defenseman until high school.
When you hear things like that, how can you not feel optimism with having a future blueliner like him? I think he's bigger right now since it has been reported that he's still growing.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...0101/803120771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
As for WeThreeKings, Giroux > Voracek, and I'm a huge fan of Voracek.
How do you know about WTK's opinion on Giroux vs Voracek since I presume that both you and WTK are on each others respective ignore list? I know I know, you saw someone who quoted WTK...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:04 AM
  #44
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
GO HULL GO! The Olympiques just won in 5 against the Huskies.

Claude Giroux is insane.


I'm suirprised RN looked unstoppable, had a ton of depth up front and on defense...but I guess it should not be a surprise RN is known for choking and Gat is known for overachieving.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:30 AM
  #45
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
I just picked up my Mem Cup packages yesterday.

Spokane has a very good record. As do host Rangers and 2nd OHL team Belleville (which just came back from 3 to 0 down to force game 7). Gatineau was ranked 9th in the CHL at the end of the season:


Week 25
Kitchener Rangers
53-11-1-3

Spokane Chiefs
50-15-1-6

Belleville Bulls
48-14-4-2

Tri-City Americans
52-16-2-2

Vancouver Giants
49-15-2-6

Huskies de Rouyn-Noranda
47-20-2-1

Drakkar de Baie-Comeau
45-19-2-4

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
44-18-2-4

Olympiques de Gatineau
43-19-6-2

Lethbridge Hurricanes
45-21-2-4

Should be a good one

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:40 AM
  #46
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I just picked up my Mem Cup packages yesterday.

Spokane has a very good record. As do host Rangers and 2nd OHL team Belleville (which just came back from 3 to 0 down to force game 7). Gatineau was ranked 9th in the CHL at the end of the season:


Week 25
Kitchener Rangers
53-11-1-3

Spokane Chiefs
50-15-1-6

Belleville Bulls
48-14-4-2

Tri-City Americans
52-16-2-2

Vancouver Giants
49-15-2-6

Huskies de Rouyn-Noranda
47-20-2-1

Drakkar de Baie-Comeau
45-19-2-4

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
44-18-2-4

Olympiques de Gatineau
43-19-6-2

Lethbridge Hurricanes
45-21-2-4

Should be a good one

dont be fooled by the 9th place ranking.
they are very deserving of their Q championship and their first line (Giroux-Byron-Pistilli) will give all 3 teams fits.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:47 AM
  #47
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
dont be fooled by the 9th place ranking.
they are very deserving of their Q championship and their first line (Giroux-Byron-Pistilli) will give all 3 teams fits.
I never place a huge amount of stock in polls. Week 1 before the regular season mthe London Knights were ranked #1. LOL But that was before Gagne and Kane both made it to the NHL as 18 yr olds


Gatineau sounds good and the other three are top 3 ranked with very good records. I have seen the OHL teams a lot. It is going to be one of the more interesting Mem Cups since Rimouski vs London in '05. Rimouski also had a very highly touted line

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:53 AM
  #48
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,607
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I never place a huge amount of stock in polls. Week 1 before the regular season mthe London Knights were ranked #1. LOL But that was before Gagne and Kane both made it to the NHL as 18 yr olds


Gatineau sounds good and the other three are top 3 ranked with very good records. I have seen the OHL teams a lot. It is going to be one of the more interesting Mem Cups since Rimouski vs London in '05. Rimouski also had a very highly touted line
In 05 those 2 teams were far and away the 2 best teams.

i think whats fun this year is that we have 4 very good teams that will be fighting for the cup. at least thats the way i see it.
Its gonna be fun to watch

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:34 AM
  #49
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
In 05 those 2 teams were far and away the 2 best teams.

i think whats fun this year is that we have 4 very good teams that will be fighting for the cup. at least thats the way i see it.
Its gonna be fun to watch
I agree with that. Exactly why i think it will be great

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:40 AM
  #50
kostitsyn1489
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louiseville, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Groulx has proven he's the best coach of the league and certainly one of the top 3 in the CHL. He's got nothing left to prove there. He needs to move on to the AHL, and he will this summer. Heard it from a solid source.
No need for a solid source to know he'll be part of Ottawa organization next year, whether he plays in the AHL if their coach moves to the NHL or he jumps right away is the only thing that needs to be decided at this point.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.