HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers coaching search

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Please god no...
I agree, no way we want him here.

Old
05-08-2008, 01:44 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
LOL. Wilson cracks me up. He seems like a normal, level-headed guy most of the time, and then sometimes he can just snap. That reporter's face after he yelled," it's always f***in negative!" last week was priceless.
Very Keenan-esque, imo.

Old
05-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindeadalive View Post
Very Keenan-esque, imo.
Yeah, Wilson's quite a bit more calm than Keenan, but he can grate on players, too IMO. They're both best suited for heavy veteran laiden teams I think. Most young players don't respond well to constant abuse and humiliation.

Old
05-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Acadmus

Pat Burns does have Keenan-esque qualities, but he was very good with a young Boston team in the late 90s - although there were questions about how he brought Joe Thornton along, since Joe only got limited minutes in his first season, which is why he had just 7 points. But Sergei Samsonov got big minutes that year and won the Calder, and I think Boston went to game 7 in the second round of the playoffs the next season, losing to Washington (the big Dafoe-Kolzig battle). Memory's fuzzy on that one.

That said, he lost the room fairly quickly and lost his job after that. Not sure he's the right man for the job. Then again, if I recall, he was much more emotional than JM, which can't hurt.

Burns has a temper like Keenan, but he doesn't play the mind games Keenan does that sabotages team cohesion in the long run. This team does need someone to kick them in the collective rear, but at the same time, since so much of the team is young they need a teacher also. Burns probably isn't the best candidate.

05-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Add Joel Quenneville to the list....

wow, alot of coaching vacancies this offseason...
Florida, Toronto, Atlanta, Colorado...maybe San Jose, Carolina, Tampa

Old
05-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

There's a thread on this on the NHL Talk board, but I'm going to call Perry Pearn as our next head coach.

Old
05-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
There's a thread on this on the NHL Talk board, but I'm going to call Perry Pearn as our next head coach.
You can also call Pearn Mini-Martin. By the way, check out the Rangers Board and you will find a thread calling for the firing of Pearn. Seems like they blame him for destroying their powerplay.

Old
05-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
You can also call Pearn Mini-Martin. By the way, check out the Rangers Board and you will find a thread calling for the firing of Pearn. Seems like they blame him for destroying their powerplay.
Just because he was Martin's former assistant, doesn't mean he's Mini-Martin. Is anyone whose ever worked with Martin before Mini-Martin to you?

There's also a lot of praise for Pearn in the thread about this on the NHL Talk board. One negative thread doesn't mean he's a bad candidate. Anyway, Martin is the one hiring the coach and we have no control over it, I was just calling my prediction.

Old
05-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Just because he was Martin's former assistant, doesn't mean he's Mini-Martin. Is anyone whose ever worked with Martin before Mini-Martin to you?

There's also a lot of praise for Pearn in the thread about this on the NHL Talk board. One negative thread doesn't mean he's a bad candidate. Anyway, Martin is the one hiring the coach and we have no control over it, I was just calling my prediction.
Not everyone who has worked with Martin can be called a Mini-Martin but certainly a former assistent with no prior NHL Head Coaching Experience could qualify as a potential head coach of the Panthers who Martin could just pull the strings as his puppet and coach in the same manner and philosphy as Martin. It may not be absolutely true but it is a worry if he hires a former assistent who hasn't made his own mark and style as a NHL Head Coach.

Old
05-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I've seen plenty of other people say they like Pearn and have talked him up. I mean, you make Martin threads every other day, but some of us are very happy he's still here as GM.

05-10-2008, 08:34 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I would really love Pat Burns or Hartley. Other then that we all can't really be to sure.

Old
05-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Not everyone who has worked with Martin can be called a Mini-Martin but certainly a former assistent with no prior NHL Head Coaching Experience could qualify as a potential head coach of the Panthers who Martin could just pull the strings as his puppet and coach in the same manner and philosphy as Martin. It may not be absolutely true but it is a worry if he hires a former assistent who hasn't made his own mark and style as a NHL Head Coach.
That's a lot of speculation on your part. I think you're driving yourself a little paranoid with all this Mini-Martin stuff. Pearn is one of the most well-respected assistants in the league and has paid his dues for 13 years, he's not some new kid on the block. And yet weren't you one of the people that wanted Cunneyworth here? Cunneyworth meanwhile, has absolutely no coaching experience in the NHL whatsoever, he would be much more likely to be a Mini-Martin than Pearn.

Anyway, the reason I came to this thread was to post this article, about Pearn and Quinn expressing interest in the Panthers' HC vacancy.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...8panthers.html

Old
05-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Add Joel Quenneville to the list....

wow, alot of coaching vacancies this offseason...
Florida, Toronto, Atlanta, Colorado...maybe San Jose, Carolina, Tampa
I really like the idea of Joel Quenneville a lot. Here's a guy that (imo) got canned simply because he had the lesser playoff team. I think he'd be a great addition.

Old
05-11-2008, 02:12 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
I really like the idea of Joel Quenneville a lot. Here's a guy that (imo) got canned simply because he had the lesser playoff team. I think he'd be a great addition.
Yea, I'm a fan of Quenneville as well. He's never won a cup, but has had success in the past, including this season.

Old
05-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
That's a lot of speculation on your part. I think you're driving yourself a little paranoid with all this Mini-Martin stuff. Pearn is one of the most well-respected assistants in the league and has paid his dues for 13 years, he's not some new kid on the block. And yet weren't you one of the people that wanted Cunneyworth here? Cunneyworth meanwhile, has absolutely no coaching experience in the NHL whatsoever, he would be much more likely to be a Mini-Martin than Pearn.

Anyway, the reason I came to this thread was to post this article, about Pearn and Quinn expressing interest in the Panthers' HC vacancy.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...8panthers.html
While Cunneyworth played under Martin, he hasn't coached with him so there's more of a chance he would bring something different in style and philosophy than Pearn as all his time as a coach have been spent apart from Martin.

Old
05-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
While Cunneyworth played under Martin, he hasn't coached with him so there's more of a chance he would bring something different in style and philosophy than Pearn as all his time as a coach have been spent apart from Martin.
And yet, Sabrefan27 who is a Rochester fan told us that Cunneyworth coaches a defensive style. And Pearn, to my knowledge, isn't a defensive minded coach. He ran the power play in both Ottawa and New York. Seems like his specialty is more offense than defense.

Old
05-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Booth10

http://blog.canoe.ca/offtheposts/200...ard_to_florida

Old
05-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Hmm....interesting. It is Garrioch, but Savard was also mentioned as a possible candidate for the assistant GM job over a year ago. I could see this happening. I thought Savard put some really good prospects in Montreal's system as GM, and would have preferred him in the assistant GM job, but I don't know anything about him as a coach.

Old
05-11-2008, 10:28 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
http://blog.canoe.ca/offtheposts/200...ard_to_florida

Savard a front runner for the job? I dont know that much about him, but bringing some of that Pittsburgh magic down here might not be a bad thing.

Old
05-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Georgia Panther

Now lets get this straight. Jacques Martin, with almost all his years in hockey being spent in coaching, is the Florida Panthers General Manager, and he supposedly wants to hire Andre Savard, whose post-playing years have almost all been spent being a General Manager and scout, as Florida Panthers Head Coach. Yeah, that sounds in line with the way the Florida Panthers Organization operates.

Old
05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Now lets get this straight. Jacques Martin, with almost all his years in hockey being spent in coaching, is the Florida Panthers General Manager, and he supposedly wants to hire Andre Savard, whose post-playing years have almost all been spent being a General Manager and scout, as Florida Panthers Head Coach. Yeah, that sounds in line with the way the Florida Panthers Organization operates.
GP, we already know that nobody JM hires will be acceptable to you.

Old
05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
I think I'm on the Pearn bandwagon. For these reasons:

If we get Pearn, Bo will sign long term.
We may see a better year out of Horton and the Offense, something that has been lacking for the past few years.

Also if we play more of an offensive system, there is a chance we could land Markus Naslund at a resonable price. I know he's not high in value and hasn't been playing that well the past few seasons. But I think a change of scenery and an offensive system would do him better.

Offseason moves:

Frolik (other prosepcts)
Pearn
Bo
Naslund
Liles

Old
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Yeah no doubt. On top of things, it's Garrioch, the probability of this being true is pretty slim. None of the area reporters have picked this up or said anything, how in the world did Garroch-of all people-pick this up?

Old
05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Dispute his reasoning. Don't dismiss his statement just because GP said it.

Old
05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Dispute his reasoning. Don't dismiss his statement just because GP said it.
What reasoning? As I said, it's a rumour from Garrioch, how many of his "rumours" really come true? He's another Eklund. None of the loca reporters have said anything about this, how'd he get the dop when Martin's done ZERO to point who any of the candidates are for the Head Coach much less who the front-funner is.

There...disputed!

Closed Thread