HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Last 7 drafts

Old
05-10-2008, 09:23 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Last 7 drafts

I put up an article on my site about the last 7 drafts (01-07). We have drafted 56 players in 7 years, 13 we no longer hold their rights, and out of those 43 remaining, 19 have seen at least a game in the nhl in the last 3 years.

38 of the 56 picks have been North Americans, 26 from the CHL and 29 are from Canada. We have picked 9 US players but 6 of them have come from the last 2 drafts, 6 players from the USHS and 2 from the USHL, 3 players drafted out of the NCAA but since the NCAA changed their rule on letting kids keep their NCAA eligibility if they get drafted before going to the NCAA, which was done for the 2004 draft, we haven't drafted a player directly out of the NCAA since '04 when we picked Jon Gleed.

From the euro leagues, we have drafted 18 players. Of course the main success has been with the Belarus Bombers, whereas the trouble spots have been Finland/Sweden/Czech/Slovak's, where we have picked 9 players from the 4 countries and have only yielded results from Pleks and Halak as 6 of the 9 aren't in the organization any more. It's looking good for the 2 Swiss picks as Streit was a heck of a pick in the 9th round and Weber is looking good in the OHL.

In the CHL, we have picked 26 players over 7 years, 12 from the Q, 8 from the O and 7 from the dub, but the OHL so far has not been kind to us, getting a grand total of 3 nhl games from the 8 picks (locke/D'Ago/Stewart) while the dub has been good with Price/Chipchura and hopefully Maxwell/White in time, plus I O'Byrne was drafted out of the BCHL. In addition to the 12 Q players, the Habs have brought in an additional 10 players from the Q as free agents over the last 3-4 years.

If we end up with just 5 picks at next months draft, it will be the least amount of picks for us since the '68 draft.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

If we end up with just 5 picks at next months draft, it will be the least amount of picks for us since the '68 draft.
And those five picks will be what we call 'projects' for sure. The big wave of talented players coming up in the next 3 years drom our farm system is going to compensate for our 25th pick and low numbers this year at the draft. Dont expect a guy we pick this year to play for the Habs for at least 2-3 years i'd say.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Teufelsdreck

Interesting read, as usual. Keep up the good work.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 11:11 PM
le_sean

Great read, interesting facts.

I love that they are dipping into the American pool. Hockey is really growing there. Obviously there have always been American players, but now they are coming from all over, some Californians and I believe a Texan in an upcoming draft (Sam Calabrese IIRC). These High School kids like McDonagh and Fischer are really raw when drafted but have a ******** of potential, so it makes them interesting and makes sense why they are passed up by so many teams. A guy like Pacioretty is drafted late because USHL players are difficult to gauge, like Turris in the BCHL. You have to take chances while drafting and they seem to be smart choices so far. I'm happy with the results.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

The habs have done well with NCAA players (Nyrop, Engblom, Langway, Chelios, Ludwig, Komisarek, Higgins, O'Byrne). Now there's a new batch (Fischer, McDonagh, Pacioretty, Gleed, Pacquet). I might have added Hainsey, since he made it to the NHL. Interestingly, almost all of them have been Dmen.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Slick Nick

Very interesting stuff as usual. Thanks!

Scouts in Russia and in the NCAA/USHL deserve a lot of props for their work... most of the guys they brought are either NHLers, good/great prospects or players that missed the big league by a tiny bit.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:20 AM
peperebougon*

Let's hope we find some diamonds in the ruff this year... and in the next 10 years because we will draft higher from now on. Timmins will do wonders again. I hope we draft 5 big forwards or 4 big forwards and a goalie.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Let's hope we find some diamonds in the ruff this year... and in the next 10 years because we will draft higher from now on. Timmins will do wonders again. I hope we draft 5 big forwards or 4 big forwards and a goalie.
You mean lower right?

Kachino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The habs have done well with NCAA players (Nyrop, Engblom, Langway, Chelios, Ludwig, Komisarek, Higgins, O'Byrne). Now there's a new batch (Fischer, McDonagh, Pacioretty, Gleed, Pacquet). I might have added Hainsey, since he made it to the NHL. Interestingly, almost all of them have been Dmen.
Don't forget JY Wyman in the new batch. Also, if you're going to count MaxPac in the new batch, you should also include Andrew Conboy since both were drafted out of the USHL (Conboy will be playing in NCAA this upcoming season).

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:31 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I think the scouting is concentrated to Dmen in the US, so when a forward catches their eye he must really stand out.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Also I can see why fans that want us to draft better local players, as we have not done a good job in drafting from the Q. With 12 players and 10 additional former QMJHLers signed as overagers or FA's and two Quebec born players that didn't play in the Q (Danis/Paquet), we really don't have much to show for it as only three of those 12 picks have seen any action in the nhl to date along with two free agents signees (Cote/Danis). Only Latendresse and Lapierre are regulars although Mathieu Carle if he continues to improve could start to see some time with the Habs over the next 2 seasons.

So clearly the hope is that the scouting staff can garner better results when drafting from the QMJHL. Out of the 26 CHLers we have picked over the last 7 drafts, we have really gotten little return so far as the OHL and QMJHL have seen the bulk of the drafted players, but until now only Lats and Lappy have been able to stick. Now that could change if D'Agostini, Mathieu Carle and Greg Stewart get roster spots within the next 2 years but still not a great track record. The WHL picks could really pick up the slack though, as Price hopefully goes to be become a great nhler and Chipchura should be a regular within 2 years, and Maxwell/White are skilled prospects.

Should be interesting to see what direction Timmins and his staff look to these next 2 drafts, which have gotten a large degree of hype, especially next summer's draft in '09 which the hype is now off the charts as it is shaping up to be one heck of a draft year. (hopefully Gainey moves up in '09 to get a top pick, although it will likely be very costly) Plus trends do change, we haven't had much luck in Finland, Sweden, the OHL and they have made some big gambles on Minnesota High school players (Fischer/McDonagh/Wyman/Conboy/Stejskal/Kishel) but are looking good on their east coast (NY/Conn) picks (Komisarek/Higgins/Pacioretty). Cepek is the lone US west coaster (california) and Paquet the only player from Canada drafted out of the USHS.

But perhaps things will go better from say the OHL or the Q or perhaps one of the Euro league countries not named Belarus or Russia. This summer's draft surely would be a good time to improve our luck with OHL picks, since it's going to be a banner year for them at the draft and it sounds like Timmins is high on a couple QMJHLers so if they go that route, hopefully the results will be better then they have been so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
And those five picks will be what we call 'projects' for sure. The big wave of talented players coming up in the next 3 years drom our farm system is going to compensate for our 25th pick and low numbers this year at the draft. Dont expect a guy we pick this year to play for the Habs for at least 2-3 years i'd say.
I think and hope that Timmins can continue to draft quality players despite hopefully picking later in the draft then we have been used to. Not saying that we can get guys like Kostitsyn at 200th overall, but they have drafted some interesting players later in the draft so hopefully they keep up the good work despite it being more difficult.

I don't think anyone should expect an 18 year old to jump into the nhl with 2 years unless your talking a top 5 pick. That said it's been interesting to see the changes, in the past we never seemed to have any 18-19-20 year olds on the team in full time roles, and they this year we had 3 20 year olds playing full time. Personally I like to see our prospects spend some time in the AHL, but if they play well enough then move them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

I love that they are dipping into the American pool. Hockey is really growing there. Obviously there have always been American players, but now they are coming from all over, some Californians and I believe a Texan in an upcoming draft (Sam Calabrese IIRC). These High School kids like McDonagh and Fischer are really raw when drafted but have a ******** of potential, so it makes them interesting and makes sense why they are passed up by so many teams. A guy like Pacioretty is drafted late because USHL players are difficult to gauge, like Turris in the BCHL. You have to take chances while drafting and they seem to be smart choices so far. I'm happy with the results.
Clearly Timmins likes what he sees from the US programs, although the fact that they can keep their rights for 4 years or more also has to help to a degree. Ever since the NCAA changed their rules, it really opened things up for US high school players, who will likely continue to get scouted in great numbers imo.

Pacioretty I assume he fell a bit in the draft because of his lack of success until his draft year, as he was not a standout player in the USHS (played against Higgins USHS team) from what I've been told. But he went over to the USHL and was the rookie of the year, he didn't have any international exposure either which limits the number of scouts to see him. Plus it helps that he is a late B-day, so he missed the '06 draft by some 2 months.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

The last OHL draft last week was very much filled with picks from south of the border.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
You mean lower right?
depends on wich end you start

Old
05-11-2008, 02:59 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
I think the scouting is concentrated to Dmen in the US, so when a forward catches their eye he must really stand out.
The american program is the best at developping d men. I read that in a Timmins interview somewhere. They emphasise on defense first...

Old
05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
The american program is the best at developping d men. I read that in a Timmins interview somewhere. They emphasise on defense first...
This year's draft being the exception

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote