HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribs a cheap shot artist

Old
05-10-2008, 11:56 PM
snakeye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Yup. Osgood actually pulled a Ribeiro on Ribeiro.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Iwishihadacup

Trade Him !!! Trade Him !!! Trade Him !!! Trade Him !!! Trade Him !!! Trade Him !!!

we have enough of him here in mt... errr wait a minute

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I told you guys he was STRONGER

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:03 AM
tiredman

i don't see anyone complaining about the fact that there's another ribeiro thread on the habs boards. i guess some threads about him are accepted, others not.

i saw what ribeiro did. i think he will be suspended for 1 or 2 games. though, osgood dived and started all this... maybe he'll be fined but i don't expect any suspension for him.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:11 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Ribeiro hardly touched him. A suspension for that would be a joke.
indeed. 2 mins at the most. Osgood looked like Ribeiro on that play.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 1004
Keep in mind that I am a Bruins fan and I do remember that incident with Ribiero and the bruins several years back.

Osgood provoked it. Plain and simple. I am not defending Ribiero, I am just saying it the way it is. The cheap shot Osgood gave Ribiero could have been way more dangerous than what Ribiero did to Osgood. Now, I know that a two handed slash to the chest is stupid, mindless and must hurt, but I do think Osgood embelished it. He is a goalie; he has pads. If that shot to the chest hurt him, then how the **** does he play through a game getting pucks to the chest at a 100mph?? Tell me?
I think Ribiero was stupid for what he did, but we should not all be pointing the finger to Ribiero.

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:29 AM
MM425

I just can't get over how stupid the play was. When you take a two-hand swing at a player, regardless if it was "weak" or not, you're asking for a suspension.

He'll be sitting for at least game 3.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:00 AM
LeMAD

No way he gets suspended for that. Worthy of a 2 min penalty at most.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Why do we talk about an ex-hab again???

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77 View Post
Keep in mind that I am a Bruins fan and I do remember that incident with Ribiero and the bruins several years back.

Osgood provoked it. Plain and simple. I am not defending Ribiero, I am just saying it the way it is. The cheap shot Osgood gave Ribiero could have been way more dangerous than what Ribiero did to Osgood. Now, I know that a two handed slash to the chest is stupid, mindless and must hurt, but I do think Osgood embelished it. He is a goalie; he has pads. If that shot to the chest hurt him, then how the **** does he play through a game getting pucks to the chest at a 100mph?? Tell me?
I think Ribiero was stupid for what he did, but we should not all be pointing the finger to Ribiero.
Not too sure if Osgood connected, but Ribeiro did connect without a doubt.

Then, the day we'll start punishing the act and not the consequence, we will be a better and safer league. Who ****in cares if Osgood embellished it? Didn't Ribeiro slashed the guy almost at the neck level? Osgood lifted his butt end of his stick which could have had some consequence as well but not as grave as if Ribeiro would have connected with Osgood's neck.

But there won't be any suspensions.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:26 AM
One Trick Pony

It's funny how habs fans are now saying how ribeiro sucks and is a faker but the day he faked against boston nobody wanted to admit it. And now when they do admit it, it's the dallas fans who get angry, when they probably thought he was a faker before. This just shows how all the fans are biased and arguing over this is useless.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:57 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
I just can't get over how stupid the play was. When you take a two-hand swing at a player, regardless if it was "weak" or not, you're asking for a suspension.

He'll be sitting for at least game 3.
dude...this isnt balet. It was a god damn love tap. If that was a real slash Osgood wouldnt have needed to fake anything.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:12 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Osgood instigated him with the end of his stick nudging Ribs in the side. Now I don't agree or support his reaction, but then again his reaction was that of a child lashing out as if mommy told him no dessert tonight. So with every action theres a reaction, although his reaction doesn't fit the crime.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
It's funny how habs fans are now saying how ribeiro sucks and is a faker but the day he faked against boston nobody wanted to admit it. And now when they do admit it, it's the dallas fans who get angry, when they probably thought he was a faker before. This just shows how all the fans are biased and arguing over this is useless.
If you weren't around these boards during Ribeiro's horizontal macarana impression, you probably shouldn't talk about what people were saying.

I'd wager 90% of hab fans felt Ribeiro was a disgrace for that display. The odd few, namely his few supporters who constantly still bring him up today, defended him.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Clumsyhab

I'm Ribeiro hater but that's no suspension worthy at all.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:15 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I knew there would be a thread like this the moment Ribs would do something. Some people are predictable.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Spectaculard
On your knees, Lucy

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Mikey ya thug ya, ya bad boy mikey

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:41 AM
24cups1team

Send a message via MSN to 24cups1team
this thread is a perfect example of why a lot of other fans hate habs fans so much. Stop acting like little schoolgirls when a player doesn't want to sign with us, or starts playing better after leaving us. that slash does not deserve any suspension whatsoever, its the ******* playoffs !!! i wanna see some more of this tenacity which i believe these playoffs have been lacking.

24cups1team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:57 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cups1team View Post
this thread is a perfect example of why a lot of other fans hate habs fans so much. Stop acting like little schoolgirls when a player doesn't want to sign with us, or starts playing better after leaving us. that slash does not deserve any suspension whatsoever, its the ******* playoffs !!! i wanna see some more of this tenacity which i believe these playoffs have been lacking.

Ah I see, cheapshots to the head, slashing to the chest, and all that BS is OK... well! in the playoffs at least, right ?

sure, move like this, and the end of a game, when it's OVER, is all about tenacity right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Kachino

vCash: 50

Extremely bad move from Ribeiro but unless Osgood doesn't wear goalie chest padding or Ribeiro hit the soft spot, he went down rather easily on the play... Looking at the overview replay, it seemed like Ribeiro slashed him really close to the location of the Reg Wings logo.

Kachino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:52 AM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cups1team View Post
why the regular season and playoffs should have different rules?
and the game was over also. a cheap shot is a cheap shot.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
what ribeiro did and what osgood did are not even comparable.... It was a two hander to the chest.
They aren't comparable in terms of the mechanics of the movements they used on each other, no doubt there, but the intent to hit the other player high up, with their own stick is there on both sides IMO. So as far as I can tell, both are complete idiots and both deserve a suspension. Ribeiro's actions look worse, but what kind of ********, cheap, numpty of a player butt-ends a guy (innocent to that point, unless I'm missing something) in the face with time winding down in a game he is going to win? Seriously, why even bother doing that in the first place? He isn't Ron Hextall, he doesn't have a reputation to maintain.

The sad truth of it is (and as a veteran Osgood should be aware of this by now) that regardless of what rules are in place and what should or shouldn't be done on the ice, if you are going to antagonize or (attempt to) injure a hockey player, chances are the other team won't keep it's cool. Osgood has to know by this stage of his career that if he wants to cheapshot someone, there is the danger of them or someone else going right back at him. Especially with the intensity of playoff hockey and the Stars losing the game. It is absolutely wrong for Ribeiro to retaliate the way he did, he deserves at least one, probably more games for what he did. But the stupidity displayed by Osgood to initiate that whole series is staggering.

Whatever number of games they get, I hope they get the same amount. Trying to distinguish which is worse between hitting someone with your stick one way or another way would be pointless to me. They both tried it, they both connected, they should both sit for the same length.

Quote:
I know this is an extreme example... but if someone is gonna punch you in the face you can't shoot him and call it self-defence.
So you are saying that Osgood 'punched' Ribeiro and then Osgood went down like he had been shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Yerah, Ribs gesture was pure cr*p but Osgood looked like someone behind the grassy noll shot him. Oscar contender for best death scene for sure...
*awards show host voice*
Thank you Ice Poutine. We now move on to a hotly contested category as we announce the nominations for the best death scene. There have been some fantabulous 'deaths' recently, so he is a look at some of the best.

First nomination - death by stick

Second nomination - death by pneumonia

Third nomination - death by Jagr

Fourth nomination - death by Starfish

*a poll can be set up to determine the winner if it is required*
by the way, I wanted to have the long death scene from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie but couldn't find the clip. If anyone can find it, it can replace the fourth nomination

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:18 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Wow... I'm amazed people are defending a Two handed slash to the chest.... where Ribeiro is looking right at him.... and the game was over...

I don't think it is as much defending what brain dead Ribs did so much as to look at what brought it on. There is no defense in my opinion it was stupid.

The butt end and then the ridiculous faking doesn't make Osgood look too innocent. I think this is like the tripping/embelishing penalty where both are penalized and nothing comes of it. If you give Ribs a game then Osgood gets away with the butt end and the fake writhing around in pain. That was equally as stupid since a 100 mph puck hurts alot more than a stick with all his padding. Osgood should be diciplined as well. He won't be but i can't abide fakers.

Ribs faked so well one time he got traded away!

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Schooner Guy

I don't think either action are any more than borderline suspension worthy (if so, one game maximum) but I agree that Osgood deserves at least whatever Ribeiro gets. Anyone who has played the game hates a butt-end. They are sneaky, cowardly, and hurt like the devil (especially when you're moving full speed into one). A love-tap to a goalie's chest protector isn't going to hurt a goalie. Also, at least Osgood saw Ribeiro's slash coming. Osgood's butt-end could have been very dangerous.

The moral of the story is nobody should be getting all over Ribeiro about this without at least giving it equally or more to Osgood.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

you can understand why ribs was mad, he just let it out the wrong way. He has a clean record with the league in terms of suspensions and that clean record will help him in this case. I'd be surprised if he gets anything more than 1 game.

Osgood claims he butt-ended ribeiro by accident, but I need another look.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote