HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribs a cheap shot artist

Old
05-11-2008, 08:08 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Bah....by reading the posts here, I thought Osgood would of nearly been sawed in half...

Was dirty by both parties...but I highly doubt that there will be a suspension

I still dislike the punk, though

Old
05-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Kachino

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
you can understand why ribs was mad, he just let it out the wrong way. He has a clean record with the league in terms of suspensions and that clean record will help him in this case. I'd be surprised if he gets anything more than 1 game.

Osgood claims he butt-ended ribeiro by accident, but I need another look.
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip52145#clip52145 around 1:30....

I seriously doubt that Osgood "accidentally" butt-ended Ribeiro after watching it...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
David_99

vCash: 500
On the close up, it looked like it connected more with the shoulder area then the chest.

At any rate, whether the slash was weak or not, the action/intent will more then likely merit a game by the NHL. Maybe both will miss game 3. During a game, they would have been 2 mins each. The fact that it was after the buzzer, I think, will force the NHL to do something as they can't really let them get off "scott free" as that would be promoting that it's ok to do, on both counts.

Ribs should thank the NHL if they take him out of game 3. By game 4, I'm sure Detroit will have cooler heads. If it was anyone but the RedWings, I'm not sure Ribs would have survived getting mugged, by say, the Bruins or Flyers after the incident there.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

Ribs should thank the NHL if they take him out of game 3. By game 4, I'm sure Detroit will have cooler heads. If it was anyone but the RedWings, I'm not sure Ribs would have survived getting mugged, by say, the Bruins or Flyers after the incident there.
I doubt it. Red Wings players are smart enough to understand he was retaliating againts a cheap and sneaky butt-end.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:27 AM
MrNasty

I find it hard to believe people are justifying the 2 hander. That is uncalled for at any time and it doesn't make it any less worthy if it happens to be a goalie that has padding. No doubt Osgood embelliehed it, that is disgusting too but what Osgood did was not nearly as violent as what Ribeiro did.

Ribeiro had a closed door meeting with Tippett after the game and Brett Hull was seen shaking his head after what Ribs did. Obviously they don't condone what he did so I am not sure why everybody else does. Ribs can be a great player when he is free to skate but once you get under his skin he is very selfish. He has matured quite a bit the past couple seasons but the selfishness is still there. If any player had given Ribs a 2 hander across the chest then I have no doubt Ribs would still be whining about it, pretending the rolling on the ice was because of a pinched nerve and then laughing at the opponents bench when he is carried off the ice.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:37 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
osgood should be suspended for faking an injury and for butt-ending ribeiro in the face

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Montreal Typical

They should suspend Ribeiro the day they start suspending Pronger (and I don't mean the token one game suspension) for crushing a player's head into the boards using both his of hands.

I'm not defending Ribeiro on this, but his slash definitely isn't a big deal considering what the league lets go unpunished. Hits to the head are far more dangerous than a slash to a goalie's chest and the league lets most of those intentional and illegal blows to the head go unpunished.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
lol, you serious? Osgood embellished and provoked the incident. He hit him in the chest, where he has pads.
He still shouldn't be swining his stick around like that. 3 games at least please to set an example.

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:46 AM
JrHockeyFan

I think that the appearance of what Ribs did was way worse than the results. That is pretty much a summary of his career as a Hab

If Osborn felt that he needs to look into getting some new equipment

All the same a pretty cheap act by both players. I don't think either warrants a suspension

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:50 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
He still shouldn't be swining his stick around like that. 3 games at least please to set an example.
You bring up a good point here....

Are the playoffs really the time to set an example?

The league has let so much fly during the season that it would be hard to justify a suspension for something that has gone without sanctions during the playoffs

Old
05-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
It's funny how habs fans are now saying how ribeiro sucks and is a faker but the day he faked against boston nobody wanted to admit it. And now when they do admit it, it's the dallas fans who get angry, when they probably thought he was a faker before. This just shows how all the fans are biased and arguing over this is useless.
I always hated his dive against the Boston series and everyone I know that are Habs fans were all disgusted at the time. It was so blatant that only children would make an argument otherwise.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:57 AM
mcphee

Whatever happened to writing lines ? In my day, that usually worked. I tell ya, write 'I must not leave science class without permission', 900 times, in chalk, and chances are you won't do it again.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cups1team View Post
this thread is a perfect example of why a lot of other fans hate habs fans so much. Stop acting like little schoolgirls when a player doesn't want to sign with us, or starts playing better after leaving us. that slash does not deserve any suspension whatsoever, its the ******* playoffs !!! i wanna see some more of this tenacity which i believe these playoffs have been lacking.
Is it suspension worthy? I don't know, I don't care... All I know is every Detroit player will be all over Ribs next time they play. Was it dirty? Doesn't matter, all that matters is it was a stupid move and he just sealed the deal for his team's playoff hopes.

This is exactly why I'm happy we got rid of him.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Whatever happened to writing lines ? In my day, that usually worked. I tell ya, write 'I must not leave science class without permission', 900 times, in chalk, and chances are you won't do it again.
Hehe... that used to work in our time McPhee. Nowadays the players would do lines instead of writing them..

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Hehe... that used to work in our time McPhee. Nowadays the players would do lines instead of writing them..
Damn kids and their drugs.

Remeber writing lines, you'd develop technique, satrt doing teh words vertically, all the i's then all the 'must's'.

Glad I'm anglo, the words are shorter.

Old
05-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:

Remeber writing lines, you'd develop technique, satrt doing teh words vertically, all the i's then all the 'must's'.

I actually remember writing lines on a chalkboard just like at the beginning of the Simpsons but without the 5 chalk thingie Bart uses...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Pascal

That Ribs slash is way overblown. It looks bad because it's a "2 hander" but he hit Osgood right on the protector and then osgood faked death. It was nothing.

Everyone forgets Osgood's butt-end to Ribeiro tho..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:51 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Everyone forgets Osgood's butt-end to Ribeiro tho..
Ribeiro = The Anti-Price.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Istvan

Quote:

And now i'm going to have bad dreams. All those lines and so many times. Better than the cane which was still in vogue when I went to grammar school in Wales.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:54 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
It only works on you if you know how to read and write.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:01 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
It only works on you if you know how to read and write.
I PVR'ed Bound for Glory[ Woody Guthrie's biography], and suggested my 17 year old watch it. IMO it's an important history lesson told thru the experiences of a pretty interesting guy. After 10 minutes, as it starts kind of slowly, she got bored and said I'd rather read the book. I told her that if she kept watching, she'd enjoy it. She again said she'd rather read about it.

After my next comment, she asked me what I had against literacy. I can't win.

Old
05-11-2008, 11:03 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
And now i'm going to have bad dreams. All those lines and so many times. Better than the cane which was still in vogue when I went to grammar school in Wales.
I remember our principal telling me that I was the first kid he was giving 'the strap' to in 25 years. I suggested he should keep his streak alive, but even then, my humour was misunderstood.

Old
05-11-2008, 11:12 AM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Is it suspension worthy? I don't know, I don't care... All I know is every Detroit player will be all over Ribs next time they play. Was it dirty? Doesn't matter, all that matters is it was a stupid move and he just sealed the deal for his team's playoff hopes.

This is exactly why I'm happy we got rid of him.
Yeah, they might add too much sugar to the tea they offer Ribs. That'll teach his punk ass.

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
Comment.
Osgood is the cheap shot artist in this case and Ribeiro is the retaliator.

Last edited by Istvan: 05-11-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: sp.
Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:20 AM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
dude...this isnt balet. It was a god damn love tap. If that was a real slash Osgood wouldnt have needed to fake anything.
I think you're just saying that because it was against Osgood, who has a chest protector on and the fact that he dove like he was shot after the play.

Isolating the play itself: it was a blatant, two handed slash right across the chest. I think if Ribs does the same thing to a Detriot skater, we're talking a multiple game suspension. Stick work like that can't be tolerated.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote