HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ribs a cheap shot artist

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2008, 11:20 AM
  #126
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
As much as Osgood was faking it, Ribeiro should suffer some form of disciplinary action. I think a suspension of 1 game might be ok or a fine. ANything above is overkill especially when you know Osgood started it and acted as if he got shot when it was only a light tap.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
  #127
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
As much as Osgood was faking it, Ribeiro should suffer some form of disciplinary action. I think a suspension of 1 game might be ok or a fine. ANything above is overkill especially when you know Osgood started it and acted as if he got shot when it was only a light tap.
Its pretty unbelievable the number of people here saying this and that about Ribs.

His slash couldn't even have hurt a 2year old baby..know what i mean..what about all the slashes that are done around the legs?..that are a lot of times even more dangerous, what about the spear Avery did on Fleury?..etc..etc...etc....so many damn examples.
Sure, its 2handed, but if Osgood doesn't drop like a faking moron, this wouldn't have been talked as much.

If you want to be neutral, and just comment on the play, then you have to realize that if Ribs gets suspended, so should Osgood. To be honest, his butt-end was way more dangerous, it could have easily hit Ribs in the face, in the eye. Ribs slash in the middle of Osgood huge padding is less dangerous.

What i really didn't like is how Osgood comments on the situation saying there are better ways to respond than slashing, and tries to act out as if he is completely innnocent.
He says and i quote ''if i did butt-end him, it was an accident. It was more to protect my defenseman from getting run down with a few seconds left.''
So which is it?..an accident?..or did you do it to protect your D from getting completely nailed by the big bad goon Ribeiro?..
There are much better ways to protect your D then Butt-end the opposing player.

I also find it hilarious some people are still bitter with Ribs for faking against the bruins and are calling him names for the slash now. What about Osgood?..he clearly did the same thing. There's no way he's hurt on that play, he gets puck shot on the same part at 100mph but a little shop would hurt him?..yet he waits for the trainer to come out..etc..

Osgood is a p***y.
If people want a suspension, it should go to both players to be fair.
No suspensions will be handed imo.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:59 AM
  #128
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
I thought people were tired of threads about former Habs

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:01 PM
  #129
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,090
vCash: 500
Just wondering....are the ones posting in that thread are the same ones who said that we shouldn't care about ex-players?

So next time, you want some people to stop talking about ex-players, please be more clear.

You don't want anybody to talk about ex-players WHEN THEY'RE DOING WELL. But when they suck or do something bad, then we can talk about them and even we can justify the trade or letting him go for that reason...

Come on people, as a group we need to be wiser than that....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 12:04 PM
  #130
Magic33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,562
vCash: 500
Osgood uses that chest protector to stop hard rubber pucks going 100 mph .. i dont think it is even possible to feel that slash ribs gave him. i agree it is extremely overblown..

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:10 PM
  #131
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,230
vCash: 500
It dosen't matter how hard he swung or how much padding a goalie has - all that matters is the players ACTION and his INTENT. Mikey Ribs should sit.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
  #132
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,102
vCash: 500
It's ironic that I'm defending Ribeiro. I can't stand looking at him. His facial hair suggests the hair at the end of an intestinal tract. He was totally wrong to slash Osgood, but Osgood was far more to blame.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:31 PM
  #133
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,038
vCash: 50
What a dive/act by Osgood. Ironic that that kind of embellishment happens to Ribeiro. Either that or Osgood wears terrible goalie gear.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:40 PM
  #134
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
apparently Ribeiro can swing his stick at around 400mph when he slash someone.

Aniway goaltender are known not to have a lot of padding around the chest area.

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:47 PM
  #135
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
apparently Ribeiro can swing his stick at around 400mph when he slash someone.

Aniway goaltender are known not to have a lot of padding around the chest area.
Was Osgood wheeled off on a stretcher? Or did he rise unassisted when he saw that the officials were no longer interested in looking at him? Believe me, I momentarily considered venting all my outrage on Ribeiro until I saw the replays.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:06 PM
  #136
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Was Osgood wheeled off on a stretcher? Or did he rise unassisted when he saw that the officials were no longer interested in looking at him? Believe me, I momentarily considered venting all my outrage on Ribeiro until I saw the replays.
All you have to do is see how bulky that chest protector is when Osgood gets up. The flat side of a stick is not going to register much. Although Osgood does continue to embellish by saying that he is "still sore" but he will be "okay". He also said that if he butt ended Ribs he didn't know it

Translation:

Osgood and Ribs have some going all game long and they both tried some punk moves at the end of the game. Osgood is selling a bill of goods.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:27 PM
  #137
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,851
vCash: 500
Who ********** cares if Osgood embellished or it was just a light tap. The guy took his stick with two hands to hit a guy. He's just nuts. If you can't control yourself and be the bigger man, you should get suspended. As if a pitcher throwing you the ball on the back deserves a bat in the ribs.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:36 PM
  #138
kovalevak27
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
I love ribeiro and i believe that osgood is a little pus and he deserved every single bit of the two handed slash. He's a little baby and he fully dove on the play. Ribeiro should not be suspended at all.

kovalevak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
  #139
Grabo59
Registered User
 
Grabo59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
If you look at the replay, Osgood clearly dove after he got hit. If Ribeiro gets a suspension for the slash, Osgood should be penalized for his dive, just like he would in a real game. Also, I would not be surprised if Osgood said something to enrage Ribeiro. Ribeiro came in and was looking at Osgood while being restrained. He then suddenly slashed him. IMO, Osgood must have said something to piss off Ribeiro.

Grabo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:42 PM
  #140
kovalevak27
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Osgood= Ribeiro

kovalevak27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
  #141
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Hehe... that used to work in our time McPhee. Nowadays the players would do lines instead of writing them..
Well, they'd either do lines or write it out once. Then it would simply be a matter of 'select' then 'copy' and 'paste'. Not such the punishment anymore, I suspect.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:03 PM
  #142
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Who ********** cares if Osgood embellished or it was just a light tap. The guy took his stick with two hands to hit a guy. He's just nuts. If you can't control yourself and be the bigger man, you should get suspended. As if a pitcher throwing you the ball on the back deserves a bat in the ribs.
Poor analogy. Bat in the ribs? It would be more like punching a catcher in the mask.

Faking injury from the hit where there was none does make a difference. It's just so much BS

So if Robidas goes down for the contact from Osgood's stick???

They should fine both clowns and have done with it

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:10 PM
  #143
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Poor analogy. Bat in the ribs? It would be more like punching a catcher in the mask.

Faking injury from the hit where there was none does make a difference. It's just so much BS

So if Robidas goes down for the contact from Osgood's stick???

They should fine both clowns and have done with it
Do you understand the principle of intent? He used his stick OVER the cross-bar, which is close to hitting the guy in the head. I don't give a **** if he hit him in the chest, it was a very stupid move and a dangerous one at that and you can't let sticks fly high or else you will get someone seriously injured.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:19 PM
  #144
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Who ********** cares if Osgood embellished or it was just a light tap. The guy took his stick with two hands to hit a guy. He's just nuts. If you can't control yourself and be the bigger man, you should get suspended. As if a pitcher throwing you the ball on the back deserves a bat in the ribs.
what's the difference then between Ribeiro's slash and Kovalev's 2 slashes against Boston ?

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:22 PM
  #145
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Do you understand the principle of intent? He used his stick OVER the cross-bar, which is close to hitting the guy in the head. I don't give a **** if he hit him in the chest, it was a very stupid move and a dangerous one at that and you can't let sticks fly high or else you will get someone seriously injured.
Intent? If he intended to hurt Osgood he would hit him on the back, not the front. It was more a stupid gesture than anything. It never came close to his head. I think Ribeiro hit him exactly where he meant to. He might as well have hit him in the leg pads.

I don't dispute that Ribeiro should not have done it. I just think you need to done down the rhetoric a bit. Save it for real stuff. Not a bad acting job by Osgood.

PS: Do you have any concept how heavy the body armour is that a goalie wears?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:26 PM
  #146
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,273
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
what's the difference then between Ribeiro's slash and Kovalev's 2 slashes against Boston ?
It's on the player that is playing the most important position on the ice? That getting away with slashing a goaltender is setting a precedent that you won't be suspended for slashing a goalie straight in the chest?

Ribeiro simply has to be made an example of, whether or not he slashes hard, soft, or where he slashed the guy.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:29 PM
  #147
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,346
vCash: 700
Osgood pulled a Ribeiro

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:29 PM
  #148
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Intent? If he intended to hurt Osgood he would hit him on the back, not the front. It was more a stupid gesture than anything. It never came close to his head. I think Ribeiro hit him exactly where he meant to. He might as well have hit him in the leg pads.

I don't dispute that Ribeiro should not have done it. I just think you need to done down the rhetoric a bit. Save it for real stuff. Not a bad acting job by Osgood.

PS: Do you have any concept how heavy the body armour is that a goalie wears?
I never said he intended to hurt Osgood...and I'm sure he didn't. What he intended was to slash the guy with his stick, using it as a weapon. If you let people like this go away with nothing, you don't know how they might respond to something a bit harsher than a buttend in the face. Or, in the heat of the action, miss his swipe and hit Osgood in the face. I'm just saying having resorted to using his stick above the cross-bar to hit a guy deserves a good suspension to let you think about how dangerous this can be.
Rules aren't there to stop the physical aspect of the game, but to make sure no one can get seriously injured because of the stupidity of one guy. 3 games should be enough, but I'd take him out of the playoffs, to give an example.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:11 PM
  #149
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
I never said he intended to hurt Osgood...and I'm sure he didn't. What he intended was to slash the guy with his stick, using it as a weapon. If you let people like this go away with nothing, you don't know how they might respond to something a bit harsher than a buttend in the face. Or, in the heat of the action, miss his swipe and hit Osgood in the face. I'm just saying having resorted to using his stick above the cross-bar to hit a guy deserves a good suspension to let you think about how dangerous this can be.
Rules aren't there to stop the physical aspect of the game, but to make sure no one can get seriously injured because of the stupidity of one guy. 3 games should be enough, but I'd take him out of the playoffs, to give an example.
Huh? You asked me if I understood the concept of intent. Now you say Ribs did not intend to hurt him. What intent were you talking about?

I'm not sure what the crossbar has to do with this.

I'm still trying to see danger in what happened. I see a stupid gesture that might cost him 1 or 2 games simply for appearances.

Frankly if you want to make this a danger issue, butt ending a guy around the head is no picnic either. Should Osgood get suspended too?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:52 PM
  #150
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,090
vCash: 500
How can you go from the softest girlie in the planet to a cheap shot artist???

I know something though...he went to a forgettable centerman to a really useful one....and since I want that thread to be closed.....

GAINEY ****ED UP!!!!!

That should do it....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.