HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

What's Your Favorite Panther Memory!!!!

Old
05-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
You know, I knew I remembered Ference getting the crap beaten out of him in that fight. Don't know if you're sarcastic about Ference "graciously held on" or not, but frankly what really happened is he turtled and never had a chance.

Lemieux was one tough hombre when he needed to be - part of what made him such a great player, that he wasn't so small and non-physical as Gretzky.

Plus, Ference wasn't that big Still - it was a great game for him, and lessee...Lemieux in the box for 5 and Ference in the box for 5...which team comes up short on that trade?
Ference wasn't a bad fighter, though. I'm not sure he was expecting that, but he was smart to hang on. He had the Pens totally of their game and they kept focusing on him.

05-11-2008, 03:22 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
You know, I knew I remembered Ference getting the crap beaten out of him in that fight. Don't know if you're sarcastic about Ference "graciously held on" or not, but frankly what really happened is he turtled and never had a chance.

Lemieux was one tough hombre when he needed to be - part of what made him such a great player, that he wasn't so small and non-physical as Gretzky.

Plus, Ference wasn't that big Still - it was a great game for him, and lessee...Lemieux in the box for 5 and Ference in the box for 5...which team comes up short on that trade?
My recollection was that Ference had placed himself in a precarious situation by antagonizing SuperMario into a fight. He couldn't very well take down one of the venerable greats in the league without serious repercussions to his own career, so he pretty much just held on, as was stated previously.

Even the announcers commented it was a smart call on his part not to give his all against Mario.

Could Mario have held his own in an all-out slugfest? Yeah, it's likely, but Brad didn't take any chances and just played it safe.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
My recollection was that Ference had placed himself in a precarious situation by antagonizing SuperMario into a fight. He couldn't very well take down one of the venerable greats in the league without serious repercussions to his own career, so he pretty much just held on, as was stated previously.

Even the announcers commented it was a smart call on his part not to give his all against Mario.

Could Mario have held his own in an all-out slugfest? Yeah, it's likely, but Brad didn't take any chances and just played it safe.
Ference gave up his body for his team!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:

that is exactly what happened and what I was referring to, Ference was a tough guy who fought many heavyweights and mario was swinging like a girl. Ference would kill him but out of respect he didn't even throw a punch. I don't know why, mario dove his way to so many power plays in his career he might as well taken at least one good beating.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
What you're not realizing is that I just watched the video before that last post, which confirmed what I remembered - Ference dropped the gloves, but when Mario came at him Ference was completely off balance and was forced to turtle - had the fight gone on longer than 5 seconds, he'd have been pummelled.

EDIT: That said, Lemieux was apparently 25lbs lighter than I thought he was (right height, though), and Ference was 2" taller and 18lbs. heavier than I thought he was. So I suppose had Ference not botched the approach, he'd have been able to stand up to Super Mario. But I think people give him too much credit, since he'd been pestering Lemieux the whole game in ways the league should have frowned at just as much as if he'd actually fought him. Remember, that crap was the reason Lemieux had retired in the first place and why he continued to miss a lot of time after his retirement with recurring back issues.

Yeah, I liked it when it happened too, but ultimately you have to frown at play like that in the last decade, since it cost the league a number of stars. After all, if you go to a game (team favoritism aside) would you rather be watching Mario Lemieux on the ice, or Brad Ference? The grabs, pokes, jabs, slashes, high sticks, etc. as a defensive strategy - they really dragged down the game.

Last edited by Acadmus: 05-12-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
What you're not realizing is that I just watched the video before that last post, which confirmed what I remembered - Ference dropped the gloves, but when Mario came at him Ference was completely off balance and was forced to turtle - had the fight gone on longer than 5 seconds, he'd have been pummelled.

EDIT: That said, Lemieux was apparently 25lbs lighter than I thought he was (right height, though), and Ference was 2" taller and 18lbs. heavier than I thought he was. So I suppose had Ference not botched the approach, he'd have been able to stand up to Super Mario. But I think people give him too much credit, since he'd been pestering Lemieux the whole game in ways the league should have frowned at just as much as if he'd actually fought him. Remember, that crap was the reason Lemieux had retired in the first place and why he continued to miss a lot of time after his retirement with recurring back issues.

Yeah, I liked it when it happened too, but ultimately you have to frown at play like that in the last decade, since it cost the league a number of stars. After all, if you go to a game (team favoritism aside) would you rather be watching Mario Lemieux on the ice, or Brad Ference? The grabs, pokes, jabs, slashes, high sticks, etc. as a defensive strategy - they really dragged down the game.
So what we have now is a bunch of glorified prima donas like Crosby and Malkin, who not coincidentally play for mario's pens, and all they need to do is dive like little girls and they get a penalty so they pretty much get to skate freely without even being checked half the time. Imagine mario today, he would be in heaven because he would get a power play every time someone got within five feet of him, and if he didn't he wold do one of his pattented dives and that would work. We went from one extreme to the complete oposite and what we see now, with ridiculous penalties being called every night, is an absolute joke. Hockey is still a physical sport but the league has done everything possible to try to make it what it's not, and then they wonder why attendance even at places like Detroit is suffering. We should be somewhere in the middle but if I were to chose an extreme i would prefer the more physical, close checking game of years ago ahead of the free wheeling divefest we see today.

If anything we should appreciate guys like Bure even more for accomplishsing what they did in the era they did it. Bure could score 100 with today's rules.

Old
05-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Acadmus

The diving is another issue, one that the NHL should crack down on with the same emphasis they've put on obstruction. It doesn't change the fact that hockey got awfully damned boring in the 90s, when clutch and grab hockey made the trap the most effective system for winning games, at least for us here in the East.

Nothing was more frustrating than watching a Panthers-Devils game back then knowing that if the Devils ever got the lead, the game was over because they'd clog up the neutral zone to prevent any offensive chances at all, Brodeur would be first to the puck if it entered the zone and would make the first pass back out of the zone, meanwhile the Devils wouldn't attack much themselves, and the rest of the game was going to be played at center ice. There was no excitement at all.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
The diving is another issue, one that the NHL should crack down on with the same emphasis they've put on obstruction. It doesn't change the fact that hockey got awfully damned boring in the 90s, when clutch and grab hockey made the trap the most effective system for winning games, at least for us here in the East.

Nothing was more frustrating than watching a Panthers-Devils game back then knowing that if the Devils ever got the lead, the game was over because they'd clog up the neutral zone to prevent any offensive chances at all, Brodeur would be first to the puck if it entered the zone and would make the first pass back out of the zone, meanwhile the Devils wouldn't attack much themselves, and the rest of the game was going to be played at center ice. There was no excitement at all.
Agreed that the NHL should crack down on diving because it seems like the Panthers are the team that is penalized the most when other teams get PP's after diving.

Now let's get back on topic here. Another one of my favorite memories is when Dino Ciccarelli scored his 600th goal as a Florida Panther!!!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Agreed that the NHL should crack down on diving because it seems like the Panthers are the team that is penalized the most when other teams get PP's after diving.

Now let's get back on topic here. Another one of my favorite memories is when Dino Ciccarelli scored his 600th goal as a Florida Panther!!!
and against the Wings

Old
05-27-2008, 03:03 PM
+73*

hello all... i'm new to these boards but not to hockey in South Florida or anywhere else..

-residing in so. fla during the time the franchise first came into being
(loved former Blackhawk Keith Brown on the debut defensive corps)

-my then-favorite Montreal Canadien Brian Skrudland being awarded the "C"
(add to that the addition of Beezer)

-meeting Roger Neilson in person in Deerfield Beach (was a super sweet, unbelievably nice guy)

-Jovo's epic power zone battles with Lindros during the '96 run

-the allegedly over-matched Panthers dispatching of the allegedly dominant Pittsburgh Penguins

-despite it's heart-breaking outcome, being on the edge of my seat for one of the greatest SCF games of all-time (gm. 4)

-for the present day, i'll have to settle for rooting for these kids even in the leanest of times (if i recall correctly, the Sens took a while to get it all together, some of it under JM's watch... here's to hoping for similar end results, e.g., a team that will soon compete for that 7th/8th spot and return to respectibility.

+73* is offline   Reply With Quote