HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is Larry Brooks dyslexic?

Old
05-11-2008, 05:08 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Is Larry Brooks dyslexic?

LB can not stop taking shots at John Dellapina over his Sean Avery story from 10 days ago.This morning...................

Quote:
This winter, Glen Sather traded for Christian Backman and his $3.2M cap hit for 2008-09, not to mention a $4M salary. The GM gave impending restricted free agent Fedor Tyutin a three-year extension, increasing the Paul Theofanous client's salary from $987,500 to $2.843M per the next four years, a staggering jump beyond rational explanation.
Backman's cap hit is $2.3 million and his salary is $3.4 million.

Tyutin signed a 4 year extension.A staggering amount?Has LB been paying attention to the group II market?Brent Burns-4 years/$14.2 million.Matt Carle-4 years/$13.75 million.After Tyutin signed his 4 year extension worth $11.375 million,Brent Seabrook signed a 3 year extension worth $10.5 million.They went from ELC salaries to big jumps.What is the problem?

This column is all about Sean Avery and LB's man love for Sean.He always seems to have one guy.Mark Messier.Bobby Holik.Now Avery.

Quote:
Avery isn't a day at the beach. He can grate on people. He isn't easy . . . isn't always easy to have as a teammate, isn't always easy to coach . . . isn't ever easy to play against.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05112008...412.htm?page=1

That right there explains the Rangers trepidation in giving Sean a big contract.Sean is like Denis Rodman.When Rodman was in Detroit,Isiah Thomas,Bill Laimbeer,Joe Dumars and Rick Mahorn kept Denis in check.In Chicago,Michael and Scottie kept Denis on a tight leash.In San Antonio and in LA,Rodman was a wild man because there wasn't anyone to keep him in line so he was kicking a camerman in the groin and taking off his sneakers on the bench.

If Brendan Shanahan isn't around to calm Avery down when Sean is about to go off the deep end,what happens?

The Rangers are having their meetings this week at Sather's California home

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:53 AM
eco's bones

Tyutin's contract is a good one. He's young and already a solid top 4. He does have some kinks to work out. At times his play is inconsistent.

Having said that I would very much like to see Avery return though the main priority is figuring out what Jagr is going to do. Sean is an unique player and gives the team some edge--not something we have a lot of. Rangers need more size and grit up front. Of our smaller wingers I would keep these 3--Avery, Dawes (thick body, and I think he'll get better), Callahan. OTOH I would not re-sign Straka--Prucha and Hollweg I would try to move. I don't think we should re-sign Shanny either. A couple of these spots to be taken over by Wolfpack players (Korpikoski, Byers, Moore)--the other slots through free agency or trade.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:21 AM
gaglinefan

Agreed

Shanny's place on our club should really be as a coach. I agree Avery has grit and skill, he can finish and that is sorely needed. Resign Jags if he agrees; Straks is a really nice player who bears examination, he seems to have lost a lot. Many may not agree with me but I like Struds. Look at the playoff games and you will see he was the only D man clearing the crease. The rest set up in formation by the goal and allowed countless chances, wrap arounds and dribblers when teams crashed the net. They looked lost. We do need stud D's and a scorer, other wise headed in the right direction.
Korps is already a fave, the guy is all over the place, fast and can finish.

Last edited by gaglinefan: 05-11-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: 1/2 way thru coffee
gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 08:12 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

RB the time of your posts interest me. 6am on a Sunday? Quite the early riser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
LB can not stop taking shots at John Dellapina over his Sean Avery story from 10 days ago.
I am still not entirely convinced that the Daily News story was 100% inaccurate. If Sather gets Avery cheap (or doesn't make an offer at all), I think I will have my answer.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:12 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Tyutin also gave up two years of UFA in his contract. Most of the other contracts quoted did not do that.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:03 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

How is Backman's cap hit for next season less than his salary?

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
That right there explains the Rangers trepidation in giving Sean a big contract.Sean is like Denis Rodman.When Rodman was in Detroit,Isiah Thomas,Bill Laimbeer,Joe Dumars and Rick Mahorn kept Denis in check.In Chicago,Michael and Scottie kept Denis on a tight leash.In San Antonio and in LA,Rodman was a wild man because there wasn't anyone to keep him in line so he was kicking a camerman in the groin and taking off his sneakers on the bench.
he kicked the cameraman while with the Bulls

Old
05-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
How is Backman's cap hit for next season less than his salary?
Your cap hit is equal to your average salary over the life of your contract. So if you get a $15 million contract and get $5 million the first year and $10 million the second year, the cap hit each year is $7.5 million.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Forever Blue

So now Brooks is an Avery fan? Wasn't he advocating the Rangers bench Avery a game his first year here, even though Avery and the Rangers were on fire? It made no sense other than Brooks just disliking Avery.

What a confused man.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Larry loves Sean Avery.Sean gave the Rangers arbitration brief to Larry.When Scott Hartnell received $4.2 million per,Larry wrote that is what Avery wants in his next big contract.Sean spoke to Larry last week before he spoke to the rest of the media.Sean took a verbal poke at the Daily News at the Rangers break up day media session.Today,Larry writes the Rangers are making a vital mistake in not meeting Avery's asking price.Larry didn't even bother to look up the accurate figures and ignored what has happened with the group II free agents in preparing his defense of Avery's position.

We learned Paul Theofanous does represent Fedor Tyutin.Thanks Larry.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:38 PM
BwayBshirt

when larry reports a fact, or interviews a player, he's the best read.

when he gives an opinion on something, well...

...you get this **** from him.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:45 PM
ivrydov

I think Brooks is dead on with his article. Avery is the spoon that stirs the soup on this team. Last year before he came they were dead in the water. This year when he was injured, they again lost more than they won. Maybe you can't put a price on intangibles, but this guy is irreplaceable on a Ranger team that may be going through a big upheaval if Jagr doesn't come back.

Jagr got paid $8.3 million last year. He has to take a cut because of his production, but how low can you go before he walks. Whatever he's offered he'll get that in Russia, and desperate teams like Toronto may be willing to top the Rangers. Jagr is not a sure thing.

The competition for those eight playoff spots is getting tougher every year and if you just have a soft defence, no size up front, no PP, no Straka and Shanahan on the PK, no sure 30-goal scorers, and no Avery to keep the team focused, lots of luck, you have a team that's heading for the bottom and maybe for years.

ivrydov is offline   Reply With Quote