HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

CONFIRMED: Kovalev playing soccer at Saputo Stadium for celebrity game

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2008, 03:34 PM
  #1
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
CONFIRMED: Kovalev playing soccer at Saputo Stadium for celebrity game

For the Saputo Stadium home opener, there's going to be a celebrity soccer game the day before on Sunday May 18th. Even if it's not confirmed on websites I searched, in an interview with an actor this morning on TVA, he said he'll play in this game and he's a big Habs fan and discussed how cool it will be to play on Kovalev's team. Here's the game announcement but there's no mention of Kovalev on there:

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/N...ID=881&Focus=0

Anyways, if anyone has more details, please tell us here.

EDIT: Also, Kovalev already has good relations with the Impact coach and a good friend with a player. He is also pretty good at soccer too:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...7-918a8868c87f

EDIT 2: This article says that Kovalev might possibly play:
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...f-7c38a8eb016b

EDIT 3: RDS confirms the rumor:

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/251874.html


Last edited by SpreeEndaz: 05-17-2008 at 11:33 AM.
SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:44 PM
  #2
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,734
vCash: 500
i remember when he was younger he had to pick between soccer or hockey. Kind of glad about his decision

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:55 PM
  #3
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,943
vCash: 50
I say he becomes dual sport. Like Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:52 PM
  #4
Tricolore#20
Registered User
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,169
vCash: 500
I was in England 2 years ago, just prior to the World Cup. On BBC, they had a match with several high profile celebrities called Soccer Aid. , and it was featured on a reality show of how those guys trained for the match, etc... Low and behold, amidst all the footballing legends, Sergei Fedorov played for one of the teams... He played pretty well too.

I'd wager that most European players are damn good footballers.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
  #5
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I was in England 2 years ago, just prior to the World Cup. On BBC, they had a match with several high profile celebrities called Soccer Aid. , and it was featured on a reality show of how those guys trained for the match, etc... Low and behold, amidst all the footballing legends, Sergei Fedorov played for one of the teams... He played pretty well too.

I'd wager that most European players are damn good footballers.
Back in the days when England was still good at soccer ?

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
  #6
Kachino
Registered User
 
Kachino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: China
Posts: 5,042
vCash: 500
How many post until a Kovalev/Habs hater say that he's going to dive on the football field?

IIRC, I think Tomas Plekanec said that he would be a footballer if he didn't play hockey and that his favorite player is Tomas Rosicky...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:08 PM
  #7
SilverLine
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachino82 View Post
How many post until a Kovalev/Habs hater say that he's going to dive on the football field?

IIRC, I think Tomas Plekanec said that he would be a footballer if he didn't play hockey and that his favorite player is Tomas Rosicky...
I actually think it's cool he can play soccer and might make a semi-pro/pro soccer team (I don't know if they are pro/amateur/semi-pro, please forgive me.)

Besides maybe he can bring some grit and show that the best way to play a game is to not fall like you've been shot, and stick with the play and try to finish it off.

SilverLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:32 PM
  #8
Rushin Joo
Registered User
 
Rushin Joo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Pleks does look like a soccer player...

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
  #9
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,582
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
...
I'd wager that most European players are damn good footballers.
Well, up here we call it jogging, in Europe they jog in a stadium and go after a ball. Still is just jogging.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
  #10
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
He was on the Team990 the other day, had a long relaxed interview with them. He was there taking a look at the stadium. He's apparently a good friend of Charles Gbeke [?] an Impact player. He said he intends to play in that game.

They asked him if he was any good and he said that he wasn't the fastest runner, but he was good on penalty kicks.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:26 PM
  #11
Subban Fan
Registered User
 
Subban Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
For the Saputo Stadium home opener, there's going to be a celebrity soccer game the day before on Sunday May 18th. Even if it's not confirmed on websites I searched, in an interview with an actor this morning on TVA, he said he'll play in this game and he's a big Habs fan and discussed how cool it will be to play on Kovalev's team. Here's the game announcement but there's no mention of Kovalev on there:

http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/N...ID=881&Focus=0

Anyways, if anyone has more details, please tell us here.

EDIT: Also, Kovalev already has good relations with the Impact coach and a good friend with a player. He is also pretty good at soccer too:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...7-918a8868c87f

EDIT 2: This article says that Kovalev might possibly play:
http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...f-7c38a8eb016b
I confirm...The actor is my brother...He cant wait to meet Kovy!!!

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:29 PM
  #12
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
I confirm...The actor is my brother...He cant wait to meet Kovy!!!
Then, the Impact's president is also your uncle?

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:30 PM
  #13
Subban Fan
Registered User
 
Subban Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Then, the Impact's president is also your uncle?
Vice-president...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:32 PM
  #14
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
I confirm...The actor is my brother...He cant wait to meet Kovy!!!
Haha, tell him he's a good actor, by an anonymous Internet dude.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:35 PM
  #15
Subban Fan
Registered User
 
Subban Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Haha, tell him he's a good actor, by an anonymous Internet dude.
No problem...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:40 PM
  #16
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
the real soccer player in our team is in fact no more with us




Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:07 PM
  #17
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
the real soccer player in our team is in fact no more with us



Dude, he's so good he could play in Europe.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:43 PM
  #18
albathegreat*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,106
vCash: 500
Sorta OT..

What is the talk in Montreal about them getting an MLS team?

albathegreat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:46 AM
  #19
Rushin Joo
Registered User
 
Rushin Joo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Well, up here we call it jogging, in Europe they jog in a stadium and go after a ball. Still is just jogging.
I'd like to see you put in a real game with real pro's and see how you "jog" with them.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:46 AM
  #20
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,020
vCash: 50
I heard they're going to put him net because of his ability to cover the upper net well.


Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
  #21
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I say he becomes dual sport. Like Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson.
Dion Sanders should of never played baseball to start with, he never had enough time to finish the season

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:08 PM
  #22
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Well, up here we call it jogging, in Europe they jog in a stadium and go after a ball. Still is just jogging.
huh? please tell me your kidding, soccer is the hardest sport to play, it's even more demanding then hockey because you can't stop moving and you you stay on the field for alot more then a 1:30 min. shift. That was a sad sad post

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:26 PM
  #23
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,020
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
huh? please tell me your kidding, soccer is the hardest sport to play, it's even more demanding then hockey because you can't stop moving and you you stay on the field for alot more then a 1:30 min. shift. That was a sad sad post
I disagree. The only reason why hockey players have to take shift IS because it's so demanding. The game speed is so much faster in hockey and there is more physical contact. The only reason why soccer players are able to stay out there for so long is because they can stop moving or slow down for a while on the field because it's so huge. Not saying soccer's not demanding, but I wouldn't say it's more demanding than hockey because players take shifts.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:01 PM
  #24
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I disagree. The only reason why hockey players have to take shift IS because it's so demanding. The game speed is so much faster in hockey and there is more physical contact. The only reason why soccer players are able to stay out there for so long is because they can stop moving or slow down for a while on the field because it's so huge. Not saying soccer's not demanding, but I wouldn't say it's more demanding than hockey because players take shifts.
well i play both, i would say that you lose your breath alot faster qwhen your on the ice, but you burn way more calories playing soccer. Anyways soccer is still alot more then jogging for a ball

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:52 PM
  #25
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albathegreat View Post
Sorta OT..

What is the talk in Montreal about them getting an MLS team?
Not there yet,they are in talks and that is the plan for the future.I hope within 3 years we have a franchise

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.