HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Toronto pomposity

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
So what you are saying is that you are rarely hated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
I personally was rooting for the Habs because I respect the team and the org. The only fans that were happy when you lost were the ones with a double digit IQ
That's...completely unnecessary.

You and I were both thrilled when Ottawa lost, correct? It's natural for one to be happy when teams they dislike lose. I danced around the room when Daniel Alfredsson got introduced to Mark Bell at the end of the year. (Only because it was a clean hit, though.)

I, for one, would not fault a single Montreal fan if they cheer hysterically when we're eliminated from the playoffs. That's what rivals DO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I gotta agree that the leafs are really a hated team. I don't really understand why. Toronto is a decent city (well at least the subway is nice... ), the franchise has a good history, they have a large fan base and their jersey looks nice... I personally don't hate the leafs. But I hate their fans when they claim they're the best fans in the world and they're the hockey capital of the world. What kind of ******** is that???
I completely understand why Toronto is hated. The media attention, the massive fanbase, the "Evil Empire" in terms of $$$...I do understand it. After all, I hate the New York Yankees for some of the same reasons.

But I don't really "fit in" with Leafs fans sometimes. I will flat-out admit I don't identify with many Toronto fans. For example, the most unselfish statement I've ever made, said during the lockout: "I'd rather have the Buffalo Sabres, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins monetarily stable in their current markets than the Leafs winning the Cup next year."

And I meant it with all my heart. In many cases, I don't identify with Torontonians. I identify with Pens and Sabres fans..., good, blue-collar, northeast US hockey cities that love their sports teams and have a lot of pride in them.

For the Marlies/Crunch AHL series...I'm cheering for the Crunch, dammit. I'm a Syracusan more than I am a TML fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
TU's SNES is saving this thread.

There is nothing the Super Nintendo cannot do.

I'm going to go play Super Metroid in a little while.

Old
05-11-2008, 05:09 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Hey Ice Poutine:

That picture stopped being funny and original years ago.
Sorry buddy...that's STILL funny! I can see it once a week andstill laugh at it!!

Old
05-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Chomsky

Quote:

There is nothing the Super Nintendo cannot do.

I'm going to go play Super Metroid in a little while.
Son of a *****!!!

I want to play too!!!!

Old
05-11-2008, 06:11 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmmm.

I guess if you can't win you need to hope to get enough attention to be hated? LOL

Sorry, but that is really kind of sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Sorry buddy...that's STILL funny! I can see it once a week andstill laugh at it!!
The classics! They never really die

Like leaf fans watching Leafs tv and replays of series glory past . . . in black and white

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-12-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old
05-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
It was a still pic but i animated it so now to me its much more fun to look at!

Old
05-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
I personally was rooting for the Habs because I respect the team and the org. The only fans that were happy when you lost were the ones with a double digit IQ
What's strange is that i've never heard a Habs fan hating the Sens. We always were annoyed by their skills but no hate that would generate a rivalry. So when I went the Sens board I was shocked to see so much hate coming from the other way. I especially went to the board saying that I didn't get it and was slammed for it. I found that attitude part amusing, part disapointing.

Old
05-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
...So when I went the Sens board I was shocked to see so much hate coming from the other way. I especially went to the board saying that I didn't get it and was slammed for it. I found that attitude part amusing, part disapointing.
They hate us more than we do, that part they cant hide. And it has become even more intense this season since we went up in the rankings and they almost didnt qualify for the playoffs.

They see their team going down, with no real prospects for the future, no coach and no progress hockey wise in sight.

No wonder the hate is there.

Old
05-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

[QUOTE=Transported Upstater;14074792the [B]massive fanbase[/B],

For example, the most unselfish statement I've ever made, said during the lockout: "I'd rather have the Buffalo Sabres, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins monetarily stable in their current markets than the Leafs winning the Cup next year."

[QUOTE]

You just proved the Title of the thread. Arrogonace and lots of it with that statement up there.

All that Money ill spent by Toronto never brought the team close to the cup, I don't recall 1 final apperance. New York tried buying the cup as well to no avail...what those two Organizations did was further the ridicule against them, it showed the rest of the hockey world the importance of a farm system, actually it reiterated that sentiment...after all the Organization with the Most stanley cups were the first to develop a farm system.

You breed a ton of arrogance with your statement above.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-12-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
They hate us more than we do, that part they cant hide. And it has become even more intense this season since we went up in the rankings and they almost didnt qualify for the playoffs.

They see their team going down, with no real prospects for the future, no coach and no progress hockey wise in sight.

No wonder the hate is there.
The Sens fans on HFBoards are in no way representative of the vast majority of Sens fans living in Ottawa, not by a long shot. That's probably true for a lot of the fans and fanbases here: most of the regular posters here are a special kind of zealot and extremist.

I say this as a guy who has been attending 5-10 Sens games a year since they came to Ottawa (even at the Civic Center, probably the worst NHL facility I have ever been in), cheering Montreal when they're here, and the Sens at all other times. Most Sens fans are pretty cordial to me when I'm wearing the opposing colours, and the rivalry is a friendly one.

From browsing their board, their passionate HFboards Hab haters generally seem to say that they really hate the team because of the "fans" (usually stemming from somewhat illogical generalizations), and don't even really have that much negative to say about the team beyond trying to force the "choker" label for reasons they themselves just finished arguing. I can understand why from a cognitive dissonance perspective they are forced to focus on the fan non-issue, given how many parallels exist between the teams, their management, and even how the Canadiens' progress is mirroring the progress of the early contending Sens teams.

Old
05-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Roo

The only thing i can think of is, why do Montreal fans even care what our GM says in a Toronto press conference?

We must really be the capital of the hockey world when other fans are watching our press conferences.

Old
05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Fozz

TSN is biased towards the Leafs but what about RDS being ten times more biased towards the Habs? Not all hockey fans in Quebec are Habs fans... So what's the difference?

Old
05-12-2008, 10:20 AM
The n00b King *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
TSN is biased towards the Leafs but what about RDS being ten times more biased towards the Habs? Not all hockey fans in Quebec are Habs fans... So what's the difference?
Agreed. It's really annoying to see so many of us whine about TSN. They're just catering to the majority of their audience.

Besides, am I the only one who doesn't think TSN is even that pro-Leaf? The way some people act around here you'd think they would all be wearing Leafs jersey's and saying nothing but "Go Leafs Go!" over and over again.

Old
05-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Agreed. It's really annoying to see so many of us whine about TSN. They're just catering to the majority of their audience.

Besides, am I the only one who doesn't think TSN is even that pro-Leaf? The way some people act around here you'd think they would all be wearing Leafs jersey's and saying nothing but "Go Leafs Go!" over and over again.
I wouldnt say they are 'PRO-Leaf'. THey definitely commit a lot of on air time discussing the leafs, but i wouldnt say a lot of it is pro. Most of the Toronto media spends its time bashing & putting down the leafs (and much of it is justified, but not all).

Old
05-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
The only thing i can think of is, why do Montreal fans even care what our GM says in a Toronto press conference?

We must really be the capital of the hockey world when other fans are watching our press conferences.

Why do you care what Montreal fans say about a Toronto press conference? Your nerve endings must be exquisitely sensitive, one of the symptoms of the chronic losing disease.

Old
05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Why do you care what Montreal fans say about a Toronto press conference? Your nerve endings must be exquisitely sensitive, one of the symptoms of the chronic losing disease.
This is what I do not understand.. The Habs have had 2 better seasons than Toronto in the last 10 years and now the Leafs fans have chronic losing disease?

Old
05-12-2008, 11:23 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Son of a *****!!!

I want to play too!!!!
Pfft you guys are so missing the boat.

The beauty of it all! Fully equipped with ALL the UNBELIEVABLE 12 games! (Talk about LOADS of AMAZING content.)

Im just kiddin'

Old
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

I don't understand Artic Hab?

TU was saying that, even as a Leaf fan whose favourite team would be negatively affected by a salary cap, as a hockey fan that was fine by him if it meant stability for smaller market teams. All those teams he listed were indeed in varying degrees of financial difficulties pre-lockout.

What's arrogant about that? Hell, he's a better man than I for that statement, I'm to selfish when it comes to being a Leaf fan to share that sentiment (the brain knows it's right, but the heart.. she thinks on her own). Presumably the assumption that we would have continued to try to buy a cup is what you accuse of being arrogance? That's not arrogant, that's reality, we would have.

Certainly you can make a case that our management was arrogant in that approach, and we continue to pay for that approach as we speak. That has nothing to do with TU's statement though.

Seems to me you're confusing arrogant ownership with arrogant fans, many of us have been screaming to stop that approach since... oh, 1994 or so.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Old
05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
OF COURSE RDS is biased towards the Habs: they bought the rights to show all of their games. Its in their own interest to be biased. But CBC shouldnt be biased since its a public channel and as such should attempt to be neutral, but they are not.

When you BUY the rights to see RDS you know that they will be pushing their own product and that is in part the Habs games. CBC is free for all so i say dont look a RDS and limit yourself to good old neutral CBC with Don "Senile" Cherry and his racism and hate of strangers.

Old
05-12-2008, 12:22 PM
mcphee

I don't give a crap about most of this stuff, but it's fun to repeat the word, 'pomposity' ,over and over.

Old
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
You just proved the Title of the thread. Arrogonace and lots of it with that statement up there.
1) If one Leaf fan can prove anything about a large group according to your logic, you're being the problem, not me.

2) How is that arrogant? I said it was an unselfish statement. THAT'S NOT AN OPINION. THAT'S A FACT.

3) Arrogant? Shows what you know. I hate myself.

Old
05-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

I never understood why us, who support a team with 24 cups, care so much about some other team with just under half as many and a long cup drought.

It's not like members of the media called the Leafs Canada's team, Fletcher did it.

Old
05-12-2008, 01:26 PM
JrHockeyFan

I could care less what the Leaf's GMs say to the media. I do find it nervy though when they ASK our club (and several others) about permission to try to hire our GM? There is a difference between the two.

The first part is the trivia and the second part is the arrogance.

Old
05-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
OF COURSE RDS is biased towards the Habs: they bought the rights to show all of their games. Its in their own interest to be biased. But CBC shouldnt be biased since its a public channel and as such should attempt to be neutral, but they are not.

When you BUY the rights to see RDS you know that they will be pushing their own product and that is in part the Habs games. CBC is free for all so i say dont look a RDS and limit yourself to good old neutral CBC with Don "Senile" Cherry and his racism and hate of strangers.
I know, I know...
I'm just trying to stir the pot a little.

Old
05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post

Which is hardly close to reality. They crap on the Leafs just as much as anyone else, LeafsTV is the only media outlet that could be called biased.

Old
05-12-2008, 02:14 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Hey Ice Poutine:

That picture stopped being funny and original years ago.
It stopped being original... but it *never* stopped being funny.

Closed Thread