HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Biggest Habs rival: Bruins, Leafs, or Nordiques?

View Poll Results: Our Biggest Rival?
Leafs 55 26.57%
Bruins 100 48.31%
Sens 9 4.35%
Other 3 1.45%
Nordiques 40 19.32%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Maximus Taylor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Nordiques by far. It was more than two teams, it was a language and highway 20 battle. Plus, Quebec city people always kinda feel "inferior" than their bigger city cousins.
yeah, I wasn't going to say that (no need to go down that road), but that's exactly it. And being reminded time and time again of how many cups the habs had won while the Nords had none (which is normal at some point when you start) just really added to that "inferior" feeling because there appeared to be a lot of people in Québec thought that the city of Montréal was getting all the breaks in the province (and I'm not arguing that it was/wasn't, i'm just saying it is something I have heard again and again and did fit perfectly with the Nords/Habs mentality)

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Penalty Killer

That's tough. It ain't the Nords, not in my book, anyway. I started liking them as soon as they became the Avs, more so once Roy got there.

I think in the 20 years I've been a fan, the Bruins have been the stronger team, and easier to hate. The Leafs, easier to make fun of. The hate of the Leafs comes more from the constant media lovefest...and more recently, that final game last season.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:45 PM
redmachine54

I'm torn, personally. Canadiens - Nordiques was huge when I was younger; I never even saw Alain Côté's goal (or was it?) and I knew about it.

I'm somewhat torn on Canadiens - Bruins and Canadiens - Leafs. With regards to the Bruins, it doesn't seem so much like a rivalry, but moreso like a 'we own you' kinda thing, maybe something like Carolina towards Montreal. With Toronto, as someone pointed out, it seems like more of a fanbase thing; Kovalev sparked things a few years ago with the elbow, but other than that, I don't think it was as big as the Nords rivalry.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez54 View Post
I'm torn, personally. Canadiens - Nordiques was huge when I was younger; I never even saw Alain Côté's goal (or was it?) and I knew about it.

I'm somewhat torn on Canadiens - Bruins and Canadiens - Leafs. With regards to the Bruins, it doesn't seem so much like a rivalry, but moreso like a 'we own you' kinda thing, maybe something like Carolina towards Montreal. With Toronto, as someone pointed out, it seems like more of a fanbase thing; Kovalev sparked things a few years ago with the elbow, but other than that, I don't think it was as big as the Nords rivalry.
well when they were in the Norris division, we saw them much less frequently than all our Adam's division "buddies". Hell, between 1974-1993, we weren't in the same division if I'm not mistaken.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Belarus

What? Islanders are not among your rivals?
Come on, when we start winning from 2029 you'll consider us your rivals

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
Never got to see much of it, but from all the videos on YouTube, and the hatred that STILL exists between the fans, I gotta say Habs-Nords.

StlRams514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I remember when the first decisive victory of the Nordiques over the Habs was what made it personal. First the Nordiques were not taken seriously. They were like the little brother that's annoying but of no consequences. But when the Nords eliminated the Habs in the playoffs after a goal by Dale Hunter in ovetime, it was such a shock. And a wake-up call. "How come these little ***** beat our legendary team?". I'm telling you it was either disbelief and the refs had to check and re-check again to see if the puck really went in. It was so funny the way Hunter went to the ref almost like a kid asking for a permission waiting to get approval. The Ref noded, and Hunter irrupted. The Nordiques kept jumping all over the place like kids. The crowd was dead silent. And then some people started to applaud. As some sort of respect thing. And that was the beauty of it. Because this was a team that was competitive right away and they were the new kid on the block and everytime they would win it would hurt the Habs' pride. And they had the weapons to back it up. And that is why they never were a rivalry with the Sens for instance: because it took a while for them to get going and become a good team. And when they were good they were so above and beyond the Habs and the Habs had their own problems with their own issues by that time. But the Nordiques when they got the Stastny Brothers, they became a force right away, able to compete against anybody. The Habs were not too shabby either so it became competitive on the ice, easily transforming into war because of those other issues after that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:24 AM
24Cups

By far the most intense was the Montreal-Quebec rivalry. It's amazing because most Quebec fans were originally Montreal fans. I think because of of the rivalry many Nordiques fans followed the team to Colorado (as hard as that was) rather than jump back to the Canadiens (e.g. my brother-in-law). Some I know stopped following hockey altogether. In baseball I am one of the latter, as I couldn't follow the Expos to Washington and I couldn't start cheeting for the Jays.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Boston wins overall. The Nordiques rivalry was the most intense while it was on, but it was too short to get the overall win. Toronto is more of a marketing/fan rivalry than an on-ice one.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

Boston by far, the games are almost personal between the players.

The Nords rivalry was great while it lasted and the Leafs rivalry is dead.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Teufelsdreck

For years I considered les feuilles mortes the most despised rivals but after joining HFBoards and reading the odious posts of Bruins fans I gradually came to wish the Bruins nothing but unhappy endings while the Leafs became a postscript and the Nordique became a yellowed obituary notice clipped from La Presse.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
What/who are the Nordiques?

I say Bruins.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
What/who are the Nordiques?

I say Bruins.
What's a Bruin?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Nordiques by far followed by the Bruins.

There is no rivalry as intense as the Habs/Nords these days.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:53 AM
1UP

I was a Nords fan. Now I'm a Habs fan.

And that rivalry will never be touched.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:43 PM
oli500

Right now its Toronto. Both teams fans hate eachother. You can say the same about boston but to me when a team dominates another team it just thus not have a rivalry fealing.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:45 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Over the years,

the biggest rivals in Canadeisn history have been Toronto, Boston, and Quebec.

I know the Nordiques and Leafs games had the intensity, and that the Bruins games had the higher stakes (all those playoff meetings),

but let's settle it.

Who do YOU guys consider the biggest rival to the Canadiens?
Easily the Bruins.

I've always thought the Leafs/Habs rivalry was very one-sided. The Leafs, in my lifetime, have never been a real threat to the Canadiens, never been a playoff opponent and never really been a team I've had any reason to hate.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Easily the Bruins.

I've always thought the Leafs/Habs rivalry was very one-sided. The Leafs, in my lifetime, have never been a real threat to the Canadiens, never been a playoff opponent and never really been a team I've had any reason to hate.
Quite true, it's been ages since the Habs had a playoff series with the Leafs. However, playoff series between the Habs and Bruins have become almost inevitable. The Bruins lose to the Habs when they're the underdogs and they also lose when they're the favorites. I suppose there'll be a cyclical change some time in the future but let's hope that doesn't happen in the next decade or two.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:23 PM
tinyzombies

Nordiques by far. Then Leafs. Then Bruins. I'm sick of watching us play the Bruins. Leafs too actually. Too many in-division games.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-12-2008 at 03:36 PM.
tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Easily the Bruins.

Not to mention that both organizationa never really have been competitive at the same time.For example,before the lockout the Leafs were a perennial Cup-winning threat and the Habs looked like a fringe playoff team or bottomfeeders.Same thing in the 1970s and 1980s when the Habs were truly elite while Toronto was a above average/mediocre team.

Due to to ressurect it.this fact,there is no real and hatred rivalry between the teams,it's just created by both medias and fanbases in order to ressurect it.

As for the thread,I'd say the Bruins,quite easily.Unfortunately I didn't experience the Quebec/Montreal rivalry,and the Leafs aren't a team I personally consider as potential rivals.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Hab Shark
Better call Saul

Nordiques by far, I don't believe I ever witnessed a more intense rivalry than any other two teams in NHL history!

Hab Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Boston wins overall. The Nordiques rivalry was the most intense while it was on, but it was too short to get the overall win. Toronto is more of a marketing/fan rivalry than an on-ice one.
+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
mikeg

The Nords, hands down... I don't think there's any rivalry in all of pro sports that generated as many bench clearing brawls as theirs did in that amount of time.

hell how many rivalries happen on freaking religious holidays? that's just nuts.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
One Trick Pony

Right now I hate the flyers more than any team

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Fido22

Don't get me wrong, I profoundly hate the Leafs and Bruins (well, the Bruins are kinda funny to me now).....but the Nordiques....

The feeling was beyond hate. It was so dark, all I wanted was for them to disappear...to cease to exist.

So when that happened, I tried it on my mother-in-law.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote