HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltender Gear Experiment

Old
05-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Magic33

vCash: 500
Goaltender Gear Experiment

Hey guys, i saw this on the Devils board, but i thought it was pretty interesting.

The NHL is testing new equipment for goalies. Link and photo below.

What do you think? I think it is ridiculous. These guys have been working their whole life on perfecting their game with their equipment. they would have to re-learn everything from angels to styles of play etc ... not fair, if players can use one piece sticks that shoot the puck 100 mph, goalies should be able to wear what they are wearing now. Just my opinion though ...

http://22hockey.com/nhl-tests-protot...e-gear-sizing/

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Avant-Gardien

I'm fine with making the chest/arm units more form-fitting and shrinking the pants, but this is absolutely absurd. 30"x9" pads? My knee wouldn't even fit in those, and I'm 5'8"!

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
Hey guys, i saw this on the Devils board, but i thought it was pretty interesting.

What do you think? I think it is ridiculous. These guys have been working their whole life on perfecting their game with their equipment. they would have to re-learn everything from angels to styles of play etc ... not fair, if players can use one piece sticks that shoot the puck 100 mph, goalies should be able to wear what they are wearing now. Just my opinion though ...

Totally ridiculous. The mask only covers about the upper half of his face. Goalies are not going to like this.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

that just looks like an adult using children's gear

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
This site is not serious. It says that the Colorado GM said that Quenneville was losing on purpose.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:45 AM
honestphil41

it's fake

honestphil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Avant-Gardien

Yeah, looking at the rest of that site, it's clearly a joke.

Old
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
hickles46

price would have a bit of trouble with those pads, being a giant...and if he's havin trouble catching now, smaller glove wont help. poor jesus

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Charley_5054

Send a message via MSN to Charley_5054
Just as said before it looks like he's wearing small street gear, ridiculous.

100% fake IMO

Charley_5054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Puck Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant-Gardien View Post
I'm fine with making the chest/arm units more form-fitting and shrinking the pants, but this is absolutely absurd. 30"x9" pads? My knee wouldn't even fit in those, and I'm 5'8"!
You must be one freakishly proportioned individual if your shins account for almost half your height.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Garnet

Equipment

I think the goalie equipment needs to be reduced and Ive play goal for 25 years. Goalie pads
10 inches wide
only 4-5 inches above the top of the knee cap.

Pants
longer length ( to the knee)
More form fitting(tight around the leg and waist area. No double layer of padding around the high waist.

Chest
Form fitting. I don't know why the league can't come up with a chest pad that is like a cycling shirt and add a 3/4 -1 inch padding on it. Add the form fitting sweaters.

Gloves
Reduce by a 1/2 inch in total size.

Skaters back to wooden sticks. These new stickes are ridiculous. Breaking and nothing like carbon fibre peices flying all over the ice. I watch a guy take the blade of a broken stick in the calf after the stick broke on a slapshot. He need stitches.

Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Avant-Gardien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE7 View Post
You must be one freakishly proportioned individual if your shins account for almost half your height.
30" is measured along the face of the pads, and would fit someone with roughly a 16" ankle-to-knee measurement. Remember that this includes generally a 8" to 9" boot (depending on model), and the curvature of the pad out and over the knee.

Old
05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

They have to do _something_. Goalies are just sooooooooo good these days. Everytime I see a game from the 80's or earlier on the NHL Network it just stands out ridiculously. Those guys were just falling and guessing all over the place, junior goalies these days have dramatically better technique than yesterday's pros. It surprises me that the players are able to score even as much as they do. (A tribute to how much better they are too).

Anyway, you're going to have to either make the nets bigger, or do a vigorous tapdance on equipment standards. Maybe when faced with the two options, the goalies will have to finally align themselves with whichever they perceive to be the lesser evil.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:57 AM
canadian_man_44

Before anyone gets too worked up about it, here's the real picture that the site photoshopped. It's Michael Leighton and he's in his regular gear.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:22 AM
canadian_man_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
They have to do _something_. Goalies are just sooooooooo good these days. Everytime I see a game from the 80's or earlier on the NHL Network it just stands out ridiculously. Those guys were just falling and guessing all over the place, junior goalies these days have dramatically better technique than yesterday's pros. It surprises me that the players are able to score even as much as they do. (A tribute to how much better they are too).

Anyway, you're going to have to either make the nets bigger, or do a vigorous tapdance on equipment standards. Maybe when faced with the two options, the goalies will have to finally align themselves with whichever they perceive to be the lesser evil.
So we should punish the goalies for being really good at their jobs? I think not. They've worked hard to become the athletes they are and instead of being punished, they should be praised for doing well. Besides that, watch a game and tell me how many shots miss the net completely. Maybe they should make the players take tests with every different kind of stick on the market to see which ones they can consistently hit the target with then make them use that type of stick. Too many of the rule changes go against the goalies. If a guy stood in front of the net before the rule changes, he would get pushed out of the way so the goalie could see the puck. Now if they do that, it's an interference penalty. They've thrown the rule about scoring goals while in the crease out the window. Now guys can run the goalie over, then put the puck in the net and it's still counted as a goal. They've made the gear smaller. They've made the trapezoid so a goalie can't play the pucks in the corner. They've taken the center line out of play. All of the rule changes have gone against the goalie....and for what reason? So Gary Buttman can try to get a bunch of people that don't care about hockey interested in watching the game. Get over it Buttman. Those people don't understand the game and it wouldn't matter if the score was 30-25, they still wouldn't watch it. Come to think of it, if they screw around with the game too much more, a bunch of people who do understand and love the game will stop watching it. I love hockey. The best game I've ever watched was a 1-0 win in overtime. No high scoring game will ever take the place of a well played game with a couple of hot goalies making spectacular saves at both ends of the ice. Leave the game alone....it's great just as it is.

On the flip side of the coin, changes in the size of the goalie gear and the size of the nets don't just affect the NHL. It trickles down to pretty much every league all over the world. There are a lot of people who cannot afford to go out and buy themselves or their children new gear every time Buttman and his squad of idiots come up with a new change. I'm a goalie myself and I know how much good gear costs. I've had 11 wide pads before the NHL changed their rules(and the rules of every other league). I actually just bought new pads, blocker and trapper this year. I know the costs of it and I can tell you, it's not cheap. For a guy like me it's not bad. I make enough money that I can save some to buy new gear if I have to(and if my wife isn't too P***ed about it), but I know lots of guys that just changed due to the fact that their leagues are adopting the nhl spec rules this coming season or the next. A lot of these guys/girls can't afford to go out and buy another set of gear next year or the year after that and a lot of parents can't afford to go out and buy their sons/daughters new gear either. It's just a fact of life. New rules for sizing would leave a lot of would be goalies out of the nets.
Same with nets. If the NHL changes their rules, every rink in the world will have to go out and buy all new nets. Not a big deal...right? Wrong. There are a lot of small town/village rinks that have a hard enough time keeping the ice in and the doors open in the winter. I've played in a few rinks that they had to use skate laces to patch the holes in their mesh. If they have to go out and buy new nets so some school or junior teams can play there, it just might push them over the edge. They'll lose the rental money that these teams pay and the kid that could be the next Orr or Gretzky may not have a place to play.
Just my two cents worth people, but that's the way I see it.

On a more positive note, some of the goalies that are on the committee looking into the sizing of goalie gear have stated that what they are indeed looking at right now is making the goalies wear gear that actually fits them. This means that a goalie that has an ankle to knee measurement that would put them in a 34 inch pad wouldn't be allowed to wear a 38 inch pad. This is a good thought with one big drawback.......if they go through with it, shorter goalies will not be drafted, no matter if they are great athletes. Teams will be looking for the guy that is 6'3"s and leaving the 5'10" goalies out in the cold.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:31 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Good God its Chara with Mini Me Pillows on his legs.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post

If anybody wants to know why the game has changed so much in the last 20 years, you can point your finger at the equipment, and not just the goalie equipment either!!!

If you look back to the 60's and 70's you'll see players wearing gear that provides very little protection, elbow pads made of foam with no plastic, shoulder pads made with very little padding and protection, shin pads that aren't very wide or thick, pants with only a couple of pieces of protection on the front thigh part and skates with very little protection as well.
Goalies had gear that only protected them, the gear was slim fitting and did not add extra size or bulk to take up more room in the net. Their pads weren't much wider than their legs, pants were snug and fit properly, chest protectors just covered the chest and arms but it wasn't huge and didn't have extremely thick padding.

With all of the new super-protective hockey gear on the market today, players basically feel invincible, they are completely protected all over their body and you can get a slapshot on any part of the gear and hardly feel the shot, hence why there are so many blocked shots in todays game. Players skate faster because they know they have a suit of armour on to protect them against any collisions. They hit more because they can't feel anything and hardly ever get injured. Hockey players of today are fearless individuals because they have great protection covering their body.

If we want the game to be as great as it was back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, we have to go back to using less protection. If the players wore less protection, they would think twice before blocking a slapshot or before skating as fast as they can to deliver a body check because they would feel the impact just as much as the other player. The goalies need to use gear that only protects them, not take up more of the net. There is no need of a goalie wearing 38'' pads. As long as the pads go 3 or 4 inches above their knees, thats tall enough. Gloves don't need to be so big either and the body gear is only for protection so there is no need to have big wide arms and huge protection.

I think it is great that the NHL is looking at ways to decrease the size of the goalie gear, but in order to allow the goalies to wear less protection, the players also have to wear less protection as well. Afterall, its the players speed and wrecklessness for everybody around him that has made the game as fast as it is today and we can't have the players flying around with bullet proof protection on if the goalie is going to have smaller gear on. Fair is fair.

They need to get rid of player gear that has too much plastic protection on it.

Elbow pads and huge shoulder pads. This would reduce the amount of concussions since there would be some give to a players shoulder or elbow with just foam padding on it.
Pants and shin pads should be made thinner and with less protection. If they did that, players wouldn't be so quick to block shots which would increase the amount of scoring and shots on net.
Goalie pads need to be made shorter and narrower. If the pads were smaller there would be more of the net to shoot at and more holes in the goalie for the puck to go through.
Goalie gloves need to be smaller. You can still catch a puck in a glove with a tiny pocket so there is no need to make the gloves so big.
Goalie chest protectors and pants only need to fit the body, there is no need to exaggerate the size of the gear, it doesn't give it anymore protection, it just makes it bigger to take up more room in the net.
And last but not least, get rid of the composite sticks!!! These sticks make shots harder then they need to be and they break as often or more than wooden sticks do, so why do we need them?

I have no problem with the NHL making equipment changes in hopes to improving the game, but EVERYBODY has to be on a level playing ground, if we take something from the goalies, we have to take something from the players as well. We can't expect the goalies to sacrifice everything and their own protection if the players aren't going to sacrifice the things that make them faster and more skilled players.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_man_44 View Post
So we should punish the goalies for being really good at their jobs?
It shouldn't be looked at as "punishment". That's part of the whole problem. Look at it as natural evolution. Change is healthy.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Bermy

I don't see why everyone wants the equipment to change. I think the goal scoring is fine how it is. Hockey isn't always about the goals

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote