HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse wants to work his speed ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
  #101
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I still say put him with a real centre for a full season and see what he can do. Put him on Koivus line.
Well you can say that all you want when Latendresse is put out against the other teams top units his lack of speed is suspect, and his defensive assignments are exposed.

He already was handed a spot on this team he can play himself onto the 1st or 2nd line he needs to work his way on there not just get it handed to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
I think you guys will all love the guy in 2-3 years when hes terrorizing the league.
And sure I would love that but up to this point he hasnt proven much, sure flashes of skill and hockey sense with long periods of mediocore or worse hockey.

Im not going to hold my breath, our depth in young players is good we have lots of young players there was no point in rushing Latendresse out of jr the way he was.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:44 PM
  #102
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Well you can say that all you want when Latendresse is put out against the other teams top units his lack of speed is suspect, and his defensive assignments are exposed.

He already was handed a spot on this team he can play himself onto the 1st or 2nd line he needs to work his way on there not just get it handed to him.



And sure I would love that but up to this point he hasnt proven much, sure flashes of skill and hockey sense with long periods of mediocore or worse hockey.

Im not going to hold my breath, our depth in young players is good we have lots of young players there was no point in rushing Latendresse out of jr the way he was.
he was playing ON THE THIRD LINE DAMN ****... he could not show his talents while playing with Dandenault and Lapierre Comon

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 08:54 PM
  #103
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,022
vCash: 500
Wasted ice time???

Lats has scored more goals-per-minute than the entire team except one or two guys. Almost all of it at even-strength. Much of it with guys like Lapierre and Dandenault. That's not wasted ice time.

Lats has no production problems that better linemates and better icetime would not solve. More speed would be nice, but the blind Latendresse hate on this board is really something else.

If his name was Larson, he'd be on the team and nobody would be complaining.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 09:31 PM
  #104
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
I have faith he can produce and speed isn't the deciding factor however he does need to play with better players.

Most of his production came with Saku. If my research is correct, at least 6 of his goals were assisted by Koivu.

When put on bottom lines, he may have learned defense however his offense was non-existent.

Depending on the free agency, i think you move Higgins down to the third line and Lats up with Koivu and Skosts. I think the size would be good for the line and maybe with Koivu and skosts grit and feistyness, it would rub off on Lats a bit too.

Higgins and Chipchura could make for an interesting duo too as Chipper does have decent feeding ability and good hockey sense.

To me you try and develop Lats into the PF you want him to be and at some you have to give him a prolonged look on the top lines.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
  #105
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Lats has no production problems that better linemates and better icetime would not solve. More speed would be nice, but the blind Latendresse hate on this board is really something else.
It seems like almost every forward with a prominent role (and a few that haven't) get this treatment from some faction of people here. Some of it may be rational and well argued. Some of it isn't. Sadly, that's just the way it is.

Depending who you listen to:

Koivu - Doesn't make the effort, can't lead, doesn't have a big enough impact, shouldn't be captain because Kovalev deserves it.
Kovalev - switches off as times, doesn't always give his all, doesn't make perfect plays as often as his skill set leads some people to believe he should.
Higgins - wastes chances, works hard but doesn't provide enough results.
Andrei Kostitsyn - sometimes is too quite on the ice, doesn't always play as hard as he should, doesn't appear to 'care' as much about winning a Stanley Cup.
Latendresse - too slow, not physical enough for his size, given a free pass by the team.
Begin - takes stupid penalties, injured too often.
Ryder - too busy trying to score goals to defend, too busy trying to defend to score goals, too busy trying to be Kovalev to score goals.

etc...

I'm sure there are other comments that could be added and certainly other players. Interestingly, I don't see as much hate for our top Dmen as our top forwards (although maybe I'm not paying close enough attention). People seem happier with the top blueliners in general. Lower down the ranks however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
Most of his production came with Saku. If my research is correct, at least 6 of his goals were assisted by Koivu.

When put on bottom lines, he may have learned defense however his offense was non-existent.

Depending on the free agency, i think you move Higgins down to the third line and Lats up with Koivu and Skosts. I think the size would be good for the line and maybe with Koivu and skosts grit and feistyness, it would rub off on Lats a bit too.

Higgins and Chipchura could make for an interesting duo too as Chipper does have decent feeding ability and good hockey sense.
Sounds like a good plan to put Lats with Koivu, although I'm not sure I'd put Sergei on with them to round it out. If we don't pair the brothers together, I'd like to see us either aquire another LWer or put someone in that role. We could keep Pleks and Kovy together then and add the mystery LWer. That duo works well and unless we were to add an Ovechkin/Kovalchuk type of player to that line (which ain't happening), whoever gets that spot will never be the focal point/go to guy of that line. As for who gets that spot from within the org., maybe D'Agostini. I seem to remember him and Kovy clicking in pre-season last year. Could be worth a look. Otherwise, try and bring in some help from outside the org, preferably someone with a bit of experience and doesn't mind getting a bit dirty.

With Koivu and Latendresse, I'd like to see Andrei on the right wing. Saku makes his linemates better and I'd like to see what he could bring out of Andrei. We haven't seen the best from him yet because he is a guy who needs the puck, and he needs more experience in the NHL with the puck to develop his skills. He can also then play his natural position. He can develop as a bit of go to guy on that line, which could help in the future, but has Gui and Saku to fall back on when needed. That line has 3 good sets of hands, 3 guys who can pass well, 2 guys who can skate well, 2 guys who can shoot well and 3 guys who can either step up the intensity or play the body well. Gui can benefit from their support and set up play, especially his chemistry with Saku, but he can help them by going to the net, using his size and drawing a little attention away from them in the slot. Also, if his foot speed is still an issue, he has guys who can support him with their good skating. Saku gets two kids with good technical skills and a variety of skills to compliment him.

With Sergei instead of Andrei on this line, I'd be a bit worried about a potential lack of shooting and it could well mean another year of Andrei playing out of position. If he is to be Kovalev's replacement after next year, I'd like to see how he handles to job before the following season. He has the potential to be an impact player for us, I'd like to see us try and get the most out of him that we can.

That leaves Higgins with Chipchura and Sergei. Each guy has offensive ability and they could potentially combine well. They could even form a pretty good shutdown line with a bit more experience. Between them, they have speed, good positioning, passing and shooting skills, guys who can work the boards. If the brothers don't play together, I hope Sergei ends up on this line, I just have a good feeling about it.

Of course, entirely different things will probably happen, but those would be my choices for lines. And with versatile players like Higgins and Andrei, maybe Sergei too, we could still change things round when needed.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 10:56 AM
  #106
Boulette Cannon
Registered User
 
Boulette Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
I have faith he can produce and speed isn't the deciding factor however he does need to play with better players.

Most of his production came with Saku. If my research is correct, at least 6 of his goals were assisted by Koivu.

When put on bottom lines, he may have learned defense however his offense was non-existent.

Depending on the free agency, i think you move Higgins down to the third line and Lats up with Koivu and Skosts. I think the size would be good for the line and maybe with Koivu and skosts grit and feistyness, it would rub off on Lats a bit too.

Higgins and Chipchura could make for an interesting duo too as Chipper does have decent feeding ability and good hockey sense.

To me you try and develop Lats into the PF you want him to be and at some you have to give him a prolonged look on the top lines.
+1 to everything you said.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
  #107
crazyd
Canada is hockey
 
crazyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,087
vCash: 500
Assuming Lats is successful in refining his skating ability, he'll need to define his gritness...to make his physical presence effective.

That being said:
Higgins - Chipchura - Latendresse

Would be a defensive aware line, shutdown capabilities, and assured offensive upside.

We sign a top6 UFA winger to round off our two first lines.

We have enough energy and scrappers for the 4th line in Begin, Lapierre, Kostopoulos and Stewart.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:04 PM
  #108
Philanthropist
Registered User
 
Philanthropist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
in russia, speed works on latendresse

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2008, 06:17 PM
  #109
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Sounds like a good plan to put Lats with Koivu, although I'm not sure I'd put Sergei on with them to round it out. If we don't pair the brothers together, I'd like to see us either aquire another LWer or put someone in that role. We could keep Pleks and Kovy together then and add the mystery LWer. That duo works well and unless we were to add an Ovechkin/Kovalchuk type of player to that line (which ain't happening), whoever gets that spot will never be the focal point/go to guy of that line. As for who gets that spot from within the org., maybe D'Agostini. I seem to remember him and Kovy clicking in pre-season last year. Could be worth a look. Otherwise, try and bring in some help from outside the org, preferably someone with a bit of experience and doesn't mind getting a bit dirty.

With Koivu and Latendresse, I'd like to see Andrei on the right wing. Saku makes his linemates better and I'd like to see what he could bring out of Andrei. We haven't seen the best from him yet because he is a guy who needs the puck, and he needs more experience in the NHL with the puck to develop his skills. He can also then play his natural position. He can develop as a bit of go to guy on that line, which could help in the future, but has Gui and Saku to fall back on when needed. That line has 3 good sets of hands, 3 guys who can pass well, 2 guys who can skate well, 2 guys who can shoot well and 3 guys who can either step up the intensity or play the body well. Gui can benefit from their support and set up play, especially his chemistry with Saku, but he can help them by going to the net, using his size and drawing a little attention away from them in the slot. Also, if his foot speed is still an issue, he has guys who can support him with their good skating. Saku gets two kids with good technical skills and a variety of skills to compliment him.

With Sergei instead of Andrei on this line, I'd be a bit worried about a potential lack of shooting and it could well mean another year of Andrei playing out of position. If he is to be Kovalev's replacement after next year, I'd like to see how he handles to job before the following season. He has the potential to be an impact player for us, I'd like to see us try and get the most out of him that we can.

That leaves Higgins with Chipchura and Sergei. Each guy has offensive ability and they could potentially combine well. They could even form a pretty good shutdown line with a bit more experience. Between them, they have speed, good positioning, passing and shooting skills, guys who can work the boards. If the brothers don't play together, I hope Sergei ends up on this line, I just have a good feeling about it.

Of course, entirely different things will probably happen, but those would be my choices for lines. And with versatile players like Higgins and Andrei, maybe Sergei too, we could still change things round when needed.
There is a lot of options that I think you could work with. Skosts and Koivu seem to work well together to frankly 99% of the players seem to work well with Koivu. I do feel if you want to maximize Lats potential you have to get him with Saku sooner rather than later.

However i guess it will depend on free agency a lot and if Montreal can attract a big name. It is nice that the pieces are there though and its up to Bob and Guy to put them all together.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 01:31 PM
  #110
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,237
vCash: 500
A faster Gui that would be willing to throw hits would be great. We shall see. Maybe he and a few others (Lapierre, O'Byrne, Chipchura, Stewart, S & A Kostitsyn*) could take boxing lessons a la V. Lecavalier too. Wouldn't hurt.




* We preach "team toughness" but don't have the assests to do that - since the Kostitsyn's are not afraid to throw down, help 'em out with some gym time.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
  #111
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
A faster Gui that would be willing to throw hits would be great. We shall see. Maybe he and a few others (Lapierre, O'Byrne, Chipchura, Stewart, S & A Kostitsyn*) could take boxing lessons a la V. Lecavalier too. Wouldn't hurt.




* We preach "team toughness" but don't have the assests to do that - since the Kostitsyn's are not afraid to throw down, help 'em out with some gym time.
lol, only on HF...

Sorry dude but in real life it doesn't work like that, why the hell would the Kost brothers want to take boxing lessons?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.