HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason thread

Old
05-11-2008, 01:37 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
We are harsh on him, but only because we expected a 30 goal scorer by now. Hes still a skilled winger overall, and hopefully we can resign him for cheaper than expected when he becomes a UFA.

Him and Lats need to prove something next year, though, in terms of size value.
I see Higgins signing a multi-year deal in the 3-3.5M per area, which for a guy like him IMO is a steal.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:00 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Christopher Higgins(Playing with Koivu, a rookie Kostitsyn/slumping Ryder):

GP82-27G-25A-52PTS

Ryan Malone (Playing with a red hot Malkin/red hot Sykora)

GP77-27G-24A-51PTS

Thanks, but no thanks (considering the payday he will receive).
Why do you think that line worked so well? Malkin didn't have nearly as many points playing on Crosby's wing. Malone does A LOT more on the ice than stats indicate. He is an unsung hero and a great player.

But he's from Pittsburgh and will want to stay.

I really want Gainey to go for grit and get Rolston. No Hossa for me.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:05 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Why do you think that line worked so well? Malkin didn't have nearly as many points playing on Crosby's wing. Malone does A LOT more on the ice than stats indicate. He is an unsung hero and a great player.

But he's from Pittsburgh and will want to stay.

I really want Gainey to go for grit and get Rolston. No Hossa for me.
So Malone makes Malkin the better player? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Last edited by amnesiac*: 05-11-2008 at 02:14 PM.
amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 02:08 PM
le_sean

Quote:
So Malone makes Malkin the better player? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Yes, he goes out there and creates space for him, goes in the corners battling for pucks. He's the needed physical presence on that line.

Watch a Pens game or go ask a Pens fan instead of trying to be a smartass.

Old
05-11-2008, 02:13 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Yes, he goes out there and creates space for him, goes in the corners battling for pucks. He's the needed physical presence on that line.

YES??? Are you serious???

I dare you to make a topic saying "Malone makes Malkin a better player" (as opposed to Malkin making Malone the better player) in the general forum.

I DARE YOU.

Old
05-11-2008, 02:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
YES??? Are you serious???

I dare you to make a topic saying "Malone makes Malkin a better player" (as opposed to Malkin making Malone the better player) in the general forum.

I DARE YOU.
Man calm the **** down.

Cleary Malkin is an amazing player in himself, but Malone does help him out. Why is that so hard to believe?

Old
05-11-2008, 02:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

Thats pretty hard to do when most of them only know how to say "Crosby is better then Gretzky and Malkin is better then Lemieux!11!!!!" Bandwagon extrodinaire.

Just because Malone makes *some* space for Malkin out there, doesn't mean he would have the same effect on our team as he does there. Its all hypothetical anyways, I would be absolutely *shocked* if he didn't re-sign in Pittsburgh, never mind come play in Canada.

Old
05-11-2008, 02:19 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Man calm the **** down.

Cleary Malkin is an amazing player in himself, but Malone does help him out. Why is that so hard to believe?
Help out, yes. But by no means is Ryan Malone the reason why Malkin finish 2nd in scoring this year.

Malkin didnt produce as much on Crosby's wing because hes naturally better at centre. How many goals did Malone have this year before Malkin was his centre, by the way? Even before this year Crosby was his centre for most of the time, so his goal totals over the past 3 years are majorly inflated.

Theres a HUGE ass gap between having having the TOP 2 centres in the NHL on your line and having Saku Koivu.

With that said, I dont think he'd be a BAD addition to the club given that they need size, but they would surely over pay him.

Old
05-11-2008, 02:23 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Help out, yes. But by no means is Ryan Malone the reason why Malkin finish 2nd in scoring this year.

Malkin didnt produce as much on Crosby's wing because hes naturally better at centre. How many goals did Malone have before Malkin was his centre, by the way? Even before then he was on Crosby's wing, so his goal totals over the past 3 years are majorly inflated.

Theres a HUGE ass gap between having having the TOP 2 centres in the NHL on your line and having Saku Koivu.
When did I say Malone was the reason for Malkin finishing 2nd in scoring?

Obviously Malone gets more points because he plays with high quality players, but he helps them out too with his style.

Old
05-11-2008, 03:02 PM
CanadienErrant*

Malone in MTL would be a third liner. He looks good because he is playing with Malkin. Same for Dupuis playing with Crosby. Do not overate them.

Hossa is the big fish. Campbell would be also a great asset. Commodore would look good on a third pairing.

If the Habs can't get any of those, I would like them to trade for guys like: Gaborik, Clowe, Backes and RH D-men like Weber or Boynton, two guys who would look good with Hamrlik.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:25 PM
SOLR

@Amnesiac

I want Hossa, because he makes us a contender, the price of the acquisition is totally irrelevant. 7m? What are you drinking? I wouldnt blink spending 8.5m$ on him.

We are at the top of the revenue pyramid, over spending is for us. Before you get on the "were gonna lose all of our RFAs bandwagon!" Keep this in mind, Kovalev and Koivu can both be off the books for next year when we will need the money for our current RFAs, the cap will also rise by another 6m for next year.

We have to try for every big name at the best of our capabilities, even if we offer Hossa 9m, he might not sign here. Then we will have a shot at Lecavalier and etc, the next year.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:13 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
@Amnesiac

I want Hossa, because he makes us a contender, the price of the acquisition is totally irrelevant. 7m? What are you drinking? I wouldnt blink spending 8.5m$ on him.

We are at the top of the revenue pyramid, over spending is for us. Before you get on the "were gonna lose all of our RFAs bandwagon!" Keep this in mind, Kovalev and Koivu can both be off the books for next year when we will need the money for our current RFAs, the cap will also rise by another 6m for next year.

We have to try for every big name at the best of our capabilities, even if we offer Hossa 9m, he might not sign here. Then we will have a shot at Lecavalier and etc, the next year.
If you sign Hossa long-term, forget about Vinny next year. Agreed?

They may as well try and get a cheaper Rolston or Malone for a couple years, and go for Vinny long-term when Koivu and Kovalev's contracts are up. I really doubt you can have both Hossa and Vinny long-term and expect to sign: Markov, Komisarek, Plekanec, Higgins, both Kostitsyns, and eventually Price in a couple years (with which I hope they try to do a DiPietro type deal).

I like Hossa and all, but $9 mil per for 6+ years for guy who struggled this season is a little risky. Even with the cap going up, its all relative to the RFA signings who will be asking for more anyway.

Old
05-11-2008, 04:42 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Watching this Finland/USA game makes me want Selanne on our team really bad next year, him and Koivu are sick out there.

Come on Teemu and help your buddy Saku out

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Monte Christo View Post
OK let's start talking about the 2008-2009 new players, Habs 100th aniversary!

We all know that Gainey is conservative but I think he sill bring us a couple of ufa's next year.

Here is the FWD ufa's that I think Gainey will go for

Brian Rolston (Center or Right Wing) speedy, big all around player
Ryan Malone: Could he be the big scoring guy that we need?
Stephane Yelle: good to replace Smolinski
Dallas Drake: see above
Hossa: please pitts don't sign him
Todd Fedoruk: played good inteligent hockey in Minny
Chris Kelly: see S. Yelle

As for Defence we should aim one of:

Andreas Lilja
Ron Hainsey (a come back??)
Rozival
Kalinin

New rookies in line-up? I think one of Chipchura, G Stewart or Pacioretty (surprise) could land a spot as FWD and one of Valentenko or Yemelin if decide to come in Canada as Def.

Gone baby gone??? I won't be surprised if Smolinski, Brisebois, Ryder and Streit aren't resigned...altought I would do everthing to keep Streit.

I also think that Dandeneault, Begin, Chipchura and Grabovsky could be traded pretty soon to make some place to young guns or UFA's.

My top 5 FWD star ufa priority would be

1. Hossa
2. Malone
3. Rolston
4. Sundin ( i wish)
5. Straka

Top 5 oth fwd ufa:

1. Chris Kelly
2. Jarko Ruutu
3. PAscal Dupuis
4. Andrew Brunette
5. Matt Cooke

top 5 DEF:

1. Campbell
2. Rozival
3. Kalinin
4. Lilja
5. Redden ( will he bounce back???)

Dude,

Keep on dreaming (I hope your dreams come true).

Can you name just ONE (1) impact UFA player, who, at or near the "prime" of his playing career has signed with any Canadian based team?

Let's hope the Habs can break some ground here, but that's what they would have to do -- break ground!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:05 PM
mrinsane

I like Rolston and Commodore if we can add Cooke wonderful.

Hossa will probably sign in the Western Conference..

Hainsey is a good choice too.. Hard Slap shot.

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
New rookies in line-up? I think one of Chipchura, G Stewart or Pacioretty (surprise) could land a spot as FWD and one of Valentenko or Yemelin if decide to come in Canada as Def.

Gone baby gone??? I won't be surprised if Smolinski, Brisebois, Ryder and Streit aren't resigned...altought I would do everthing to keep Streit.

I also think that Dandeneault, Begin, Chipchura and Grabovsky could be traded pretty soon to make some place to young guns or UFA's.
I know Habs fans are bi-polar but, holy ****...

I still want Markus Naslund. I know I'm crazy but a Naslund - Koivu - Kovalev line makes me gitty. I mean those would be ridiculous quality wingers for a playmaker like Koivu. He's got grit, he a leader, has been through the battles like Koivu and Kovalev and I just under everyone else's radar.

Sundin would be awesome as well for the same reasons stated for Naslund.

ND Irish put it really well: No UFA in the prime of their career sign in Montreal. Let alone a Canadian based team.

I'd love to see Campbell join Montreal especially if Streit signs somewhere else. But yeah this is the Montreal Canadiens were talking about.

Last edited by Sined: 05-11-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
SOLR

Quote:
If you sign Hossa long-term, forget about Vinny next year. Agreed?

They may as well try and get a cheaper Rolston or Malone for a couple years, and go for Vinny long-term when Koivu and Kovalev's contracts are up. I really doubt you can have both Hossa and Vinny long-term and expect to sign: Markov, Komisarek, Plekanec, Higgins, both Kostitsyns, and eventually Price in a couple years (with which I hope they try to do a DiPietro type deal).

I like Hossa and all, but $9 mil per for 6+ years for guy who struggled this season is a little risky. Even with the cap going up, its all relative to the RFA signings who will be asking for more anyway.
1) Not at all. We can have Hossa AND Vinny. But Vinny would mean the end of the road for Koivu and Kovalev. We still have a ton of salary to get off the books. Dandenault, Bouillon(overpaid), Last year buyouts etc Kostopoulos, Begin, we wont need those highly paid grinders if we have those 2 top talents and our current crop of RFAs+new rookies. Yes it might get tight, but thats the reality for all teams, it might lead to a trade involving Higgins for a draft pick(top 10 pick anyone?) if Maxpac develops well. Overall the rule is simple, sign all those top quality UFA and THEN do whats necessary to get under the cap. If Pittsburgh is able to manage 2 9m salaries I really dont see why we couldnt.

2) You cannot and should not manage in prevision of something that we might not even have a chance at. Imo, the correct attitude is a relentless desire to try at every opportunity.

Old
05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
1) Not at all. We can have Hossa AND Vinny. But Vinny would mean the end of the road for Koivu and Kovalev. We still have a ton of salary to get off the books. Dandenault, Bouillon(overpaid), Last year buyouts etc Kostopoulos, Begin, we wont need those highly paid grinders if we have those 2 top talents and our current crop of RFAs+new rookies. Yes it might get tight, but thats the reality for all teams, it might lead to a trade involving Higgins for a draft pick(top 10 pick anyone?) if Maxpac develops well. Overall the rule is simple, sign all those top quality UFA and THEN do whats necessary to get under the cap. If Pittsburgh is able to manage 2 9m salaries I really dont see why we couldnt.

2) You cannot and should not manage in prevision of something that we might not even have a chance at. Imo, the correct attitude is a relentless desire to try at every opportunity.
Agreed 110%.

You have a chance to sign Hossa, you do it because you never know when you will have another chance at getting a elite player.

Lecavalier is a dream, I think everyone agrees to that. Problem is, he already had the chance to become UFA and sing here if he wanted. He decided to sign a 4 years deal. Maybe he will be available, if he is try to sign him and manage with the cap room. If that means to trade Higgins so be it and who cares when you have Vinny with Hossa?

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:02 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
Agreed 110%.

You have a chance to sign Hossa, you do it because you never know when you will have another chance at getting a elite player.

Lecavalier is a dream, I think everyone agrees to that. Problem is, he already had the chance to become UFA and sing here if he wanted. He decided to sign a 4 years deal. Maybe he will be available, if he is try to sign him and manage with the cap room. If that means to trade Higgins so be it and who cares when you have Vinny with Hossa?
He never really was a UFA to be, it's the first time, he signed his current deal with 2 years remaining to his RFA status.(If I remember correctly, at the very least 1 full year)

Old
05-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Habitants

Quote:
OK let's start talking about the 2008-2009 new players, Habs 100th aniversary!

We all know that Gainey is conservative but I think he sill bring us a couple of ufa's next year.

Here is the FWD ufa's that I think Gainey will go for

Brian Rolston (Center or Right Wing) speedy, big all around player
Ryan Malone: Could he be the big scoring guy that we need?
Stephane Yelle: good to replace Smolinski
Dallas Drake: see above

Hossa: please pitts don't sign him
Todd Fedoruk: played good inteligent hockey in Minny
Chris Kelly: see S. Yelle

As for Defence we should aim one of:

Andreas Lilja
Ron Hainsey (a come back??)
Rozival
Kalinin

LOL pls tell me those are jokes! dont need any of those guys! Malone a big scoring guy?? why do we need anotehr latendresse? just give latendress time on the PP and 2nd line and he can score too

Yelle and drake?? give me a break!! id rather keep smokes lol. but for real it will be chipchura as the 3rd line center!

dont like that D list much either. i would get commadore before any of those guys.

for me it's easy. Rolston+Redden Thats it!
and i dont care what anyone says about redden, he is still a great defenceman!!

and forget hossa he will get too much $$!!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Sign Hossa.
Trade Ryder, Grabovoski for picks.

Really don't need anything but a goal scorer or a good 2nd line centerman.
The rest of the OP's post is nonsense.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Capitano

Teemu Selanne.

Chemistry with Koivu - check.

Right wing - check.

Good skater - check.

Not afraid of physical play - check.

Stanley Cup experience - check.

Sniper - check.

2 - way player - check.

Good team player - check.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Maxpac

Evreyone here knows what i want, we need a top 2 center with size, as for winger well it'l be a battle beetweeen, Maxpac, Stewart, D'ago and Chipchura, let's keep building from within as much as possible, that's how you build championship teams, just look at Detroit and Pittsburgh, and even us for such a young and inexeperienced team

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

I do agree with you but having an 8.5 mil Hossa and a 10 mil Lecavalier could cost us alot more longterm, especially when the Kost brothers and Price will be to full potential.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Teemu Selanne.

Chemistry with Koivu - check.

Right wing - check.

Good skater - check.

Not afraid of physical play - check.

Stanley Cup experience - check.

Sniper - check.

2 - way player - check.

Good team player - check.
He was never captain in Kelowna however, the only thing to have ever eluded his illustrious career.