HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Year end top 20

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2008, 06:47 PM
  #1
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Year end top 20

Put it up on my site. Tough list since guys like Price, Kostitsyn brothers, Lappierre and Halak all graduated. I kept O'Byrne on the list although this will likely be the last time he gets ranked as I assume he'll have a full time spot next year. Pacioretty moves into the top spot, Conboy, Trotter and Stejskal move into the top 20 for the first time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:54 PM
  #2
thehabsvolta
 
thehabsvolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Is McD number 2?

nvm...finally got the page to open...nice list.

thehabsvolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 06:55 PM
  #3
vesperal
Registered User
 
vesperal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Great list, I pretty much agree with it. However, for me, I'm putting Olivier Fortier at 16, I really like that kid.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:04 PM
  #4
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
I guess it's a subjective list and you are entitled to your opinion but I don't see why the ballerina is still ranked as a prospect; he's been playing professional for a while now.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:14 PM
  #5
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
Great list, I pretty much agree with it. However, for me, I'm putting Olivier Fortier at 16, I really like that kid.
I have a lot of concerns about Fortier, he's got a small frame and get pushed off the puck now so at the next level he may have some troubles. He is really solid in his own end and I was surprised to see him do so well in face-offs. Then there's the question about his offensive upside. He works hard though, and you know he won't hurt you in his own end. Hope to see him get a lot stronger and add some mass to his frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I guess it's a subjective list and you are entitled to your opinion but I don't see why the ballerina is still ranked as a prospect; he's been playing professional for a while now.
So who's the ballerina?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 07:25 PM
  #6
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So who's the ballerina?
Grabovsky, I thought it was a widely used reference, my mistake.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
  #7
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Grabovsky, I thought it was a widely used reference, my mistake.
Grabo it is likely the last time I rank him as well, thought I would wait and see what his future holds, if he's back with us next year or if he goes overseas. Imo he's one of our most gifted offensive prospects but then again so is Corey Locke and both have yet to show they can be successful in the nhl, although Grabovski did look better in his 2nd call up but who knows if it was enough to garner him another contract or if he will get offers for more money in the RSL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:07 PM
  #8
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,586
vCash: 500
Nice list montreal! Would you have your "annual habs prospect award" article this year?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:07 PM
  #9
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Nice list montreal! Would you have your "annual habs prospect award" article this year?
Yea, usually I do it later in the summer, after all the draft stuff is over with.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:35 PM
  #10
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yea, usually I do it later in the summer, after all the draft stuff is over with.
Godamn, why is Weber so low?, he's done better in the CHL then most 1st rounders in the last 3 years, imo he should way up there

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
  #11
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Wow, Fischer all the way down at 11? I know he hasn't been outstanding, but I'm still surprised he dropped all the way out of the top 10. He had basically the same stats line as McDonagh too. Sure he's a year older, but he's also not nearly as developed physically, so I feel those things almost balance out. Can you elaborate on that a bit for me Dan? I didn't watch any games this year, so all I have to go on is the stats.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:57 PM
  #12
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Godamn, why is Weber so low?, he's done better in the CHL then most 1st rounders in the last 3 years, imo he should way up there
Don't think of it as him being low, think of it as others being even better

We've got a nice top 18 here. Can't wait to see what Timmins pulls out of his hat this Summer.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:00 PM
  #13
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Don't think of it as him being low, think of it as others being even better

We've got a nice top 18 here. Can't wait to see what Timmins pulls out of his hat this Summer.
i know but i would pick Subban or Weber WAY before D'Agostini or even O'Byrne

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
  #14
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
i know but i would pick Subban or Weber WAY before D'Agostini or even O'Byrne
I think his lists are always a little more slanted toward NHL readiness then 100% potential. The fact that these two at least made it to the NHL gives them one up on Subban and Weber who have not yet made it.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:23 PM
  #15
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Godamn, why is Weber so low?, he's done better in the CHL then most 1st rounders in the last 3 years, imo he should way up there

Well his stats are impressive in the CHL but I dont' put a lot into CHL stats. I mean Milroy's 92 pts as a 17 year old in the dub is pretty damn impressive and look how that turned out. Weber I have lower because I have concerns about his defensive zone play, he needs to get stronger and I think he could stand to improve his quickness. That said I will get a better feel for him when he goes to hamilton cause there's where I see these guys play a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Wow, Fischer all the way down at 11? I know he hasn't been outstanding, but I'm still surprised he dropped all the way out of the top 10. He had basically the same stats line as McDonagh too. Sure he's a year older, but he's also not nearly as developed physically, so I feel those things almost balance out. Can you elaborate on that a bit for me Dan? I didn't watch any games this year, so all I have to go on is the stats.
I have seen Fischer the most, and while he's made big strides since he first entered the ncaa, he's still got a ways to go. His offensive zone play leaves me shaking my head, I don't know how someone can pass the puck so well yet when he reaches the offensive zone, nothing seems to happen. I do like his defensive zone play though and if he can get a lot stronger, it should help him as he has troubles clearing the crease. Would also love to see him be more physical and hope to see him pick up the confidence in the offensive zone.

Fischer's stats don't really have anything to do with McDonagh's, as I don't really look at their stats but based more on what I see from them throughout the year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:24 PM
  #16
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,689
vCash: 500
Any word on signing White yet, Dan? It's getting close to crunch time!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
  #17
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
i know but i would pick Subban or Weber WAY before D'Agostini or even O'Byrne
Well that's your opinion. O'B was an AHL All star this year, I think people really underrate him, that said I agree both Subban and Weber's upside is higher, O'Byrne has a very good chance of reaching his potential imo.

I have Subban ranked high because he has the mix of skills, physical abilities like skating/speed/strength etc... If Weber could skate like Subban he'd be ranked higher as Subban may be the best skating D prospect we have although Fischer is also a very good skater.

D'Agostini I may like more then most, to me he's got a real nice slap shot, good speed/skating, decent offensive skills but needs to get stronger. He was really imrpessive in the OHL, especially in the playoffs, I recall watching him face-off against Kostitsyn, and thought he was on par as both were the best on their clubs imo.

I've heard that there have been scouts watching Hamilton the past two years that really like what they have seen from O'Byrne and one scout even said after watching O'B play for the dogs, he called his gm and told him to see if the Habs were interested in moving O'B. This was said in an interview by Hamilton's play by play last year but he never disclosed what team the scout worked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I think his lists are always a little more slanted toward NHL readiness then 100% potential. The fact that these two at least made it to the NHL gives them one up on Subban and Weber who have not yet made it.
I guess I make it tough on people to try and figure out what I look for over other aspects, but the truth is I try and use it all but go with my gut on where I feel players should be ranked. I have been doing it for years now, either at HF or other sites or my site now, and while it's a lot of fun there's always things I look back on and would likely tweek here or there as I don't have a set formula, just try and watch them play as much as possible and over time you start to get a feel for the ones you see a lot of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Any word on signing White yet, Dan? It's getting close to crunch time!
No word yet, and it is getting close to crunch time. Hopefully it gets done sooner then later.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:40 PM
  #18
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well that's your opinion. O'B was an AHL All star this year, I think people really underrate him, that said I agree both Subban and Weber's upside is higher, O'Byrne has a very good chance of reaching his potential imo.
I'm still surprised he got an AHL all-star nomination, i mean 2 goals in 20 games isin't that impressive, i'm just crossing my fingers that he stops being a well-positioned defensmens and starts brigning those bone crushing hits that Komi brings, there's 2 games in particulat ( 1 againts Florida and one againts Toronto) where he would hit evreything in site, but right now he's playing too conservative for my liking, anyways not really a problem since Komi played the same when he first entered the NHL too. I just can't wait to see subban and weber on our pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

I've heard that there have been scouts watching Hamilton the past two years that really like what they have seen from O'Byrne and one scout even said after watching O'B play for the dogs, he called his gm and told him to see if the Habs were interested in moving O'B. This was said in an interview by Hamilton's play by play last year but he never disclosed what team the scout worked for.
not really surprising, there's not a large list of big tall defensmens that can skate and hit as good as he can, those type of defensmens will always go higher then there true value, i'm happy one day we will have 2 on our team

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
  #19
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
I'm personally still surprised at what one game has done to Stewart's prospect hype. Before that game, few, if any, would have given him much thought. Even to the point where he was considered by many to be worthy of being inserted in the lineup during the playoffs.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
  #20
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I'm still surprised he got an AHL all-star nomination, i mean 2 goals in 20 games isin't that impressive, i'm just crossing my fingers that he stops being a well-positioned defensmens and starts brigning those bone crushing hits that Komi brings, there's 2 games in particulat ( 1 againts Florida and one againts Toronto) where he would hit evreything in site, but right now he's playing too conservative for my liking, anyways not really a problem since Komi played the same when he first entered the NHL too. I just can't wait to see subban and weber on our pp
Why would you be surprised O'B was an All Star? yea 2 goals isn't impressive but your talking about a stat that doesn't reflect his play. He's not an offensive defensemen and likely never will be, although he does have a cannon of a shot. It's what he does in his own end that matters most for him. And in Hamilton he was good imo. I agree he needs to play more physical, perhaps it's a lack of confidence, cause one things for sure, he can crush people as I have been watching him do so for the last 5 years, but in the nhl it seemed more of a rare thing. I do expect that he will be more physical and I've said in the past, give him 2 years and hopefully we'll really start to see he become a solid nhler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I'm personally still surprised at what one game has done to Stewart's prospect hype. Before that game, few, if any, would have given him much thought. Even to the point where he was considered by many to be worthy of being inserted in the lineup during the playoffs.

There's no hype from me. I said back when he was with the Pete's he could end up a 4th liner one day. I personally like what I've seen from him and I've watched him w/Petes/Cyclones/Dogs. He's a guy that will do whatever he can to help his team win. He's got good speed/skating, plays with energy, hits, will drop the gloves and can chip in some offense.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
  #21
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Why would you be surprised O'B was an All Star? yea 2 goals isn't impressive but your talking about a stat that doesn't reflect his play. He's not an offensive defensemen and likely never will be, although he does have a cannon of a shot. It's what he does in his own end that matters most for him. And in Hamilton he was good imo. I agree he needs to play more physical, perhaps it's a lack of confidence, cause one things for sure, he can crush people as I have been watching him do so for the last 5 years, but in the nhl it seemed more of a rare thing. I do expect that he will be more physical and I've said in the past, give him 2 years and hopefully we'll really start to see he become a solid nhler.
Not to mention AHL stats can often mean nothing. Corey Locke as an example.
Heck, Sheldon Souray had 2 goals and 13 points over his one full season in Albany. Souray also had a howitzer, but couldn't hit the net. If O'Byrne can work on accuracy he could eventually be a tool we could use on the PP if we wanted. That would just be bonus play from him, since he's already pretty much as good as Souray in his own end.
Quote:
There's no hype from me. I said back when he was with the Pete's he could end up a 4th liner one day. I personally like what I've seen from him and I've watched him w/Petes/Cyclones/Dogs. He's a guy that will do whatever he can to help his team win. He's got good speed/skating, plays with energy, hits, will drop the gloves and can chip in some offense.
I was just surprised to see him ahead of Conboy. Probably due to him being nearer to playing in the NHL, but it's a matter of individual perspective on rankings I suspect.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
  #22
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Not to mention AHL stats can often mean nothing. Corey Locke as an example.
Heck, Sheldon Souray had 2 goals and 13 points over his one full season in Albany. Souray also had a howitzer, but couldn't hit the net. If O'Byrne can work on accuracy he could eventually be a tool we could use on the PP if we wanted. That would just be bonus play from him, since he's already pretty much as good as Souray in his own end.


I was just surprised to see him ahead of Conboy. Probably due to him being nearer to playing in the NHL, but it's a matter of individual perspective on rankings I suspect.
I do recall Souray not being able to hit the side of a barn, would never have thought of him hitting 20 goals in a season. O'B can hit the net, the problem I've seen is that he rarely would shoot the puck. Perhaps they will work on this with him over time. For now I just hope to see him ease into the position more and to see him play more of his game.

I have Stewart higher for a simple reason, i've seen a good bit of him and like the way he plays, I've only seen Conboy once and wasn't overly impressed. That said I'll see Conboy more next year for sure so I'll get a better feel, once I get a better feel for each prospect it helps in ranking them.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.