HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Belle vs's Klein thread on Prospects board

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2004, 06:40 PM
guitaraholic*

vCash: 500
Belle vs's Klein thread on Prospects board

I started it and have found the responses interesting. It's here:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=79489

seems fairly split in terms of who the better pick seems to have been. Klein's upside isn't as high but apparently he's much, much smarter than Belle in terms of hockey sense.

The Belle pick frightens me a bit, folks. Better than that Mikhnov pick, though, right?

Old
05-22-2004, 07:14 PM
degroat*

In other words... you wanted to find people that support your opinion that Belle was a bad pick.

Old
05-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
I started it and have found the responses interesting. It's here:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=79489

seems fairly split in terms of who the better pick seems to have been. Klein's upside isn't as high but apparently he's much, much smarter than Belle in terms of hockey sense.

The Belle pick frightens me a bit, folks. Better than that Mikhnov pick, though, right?
It's interesting that you decided to compare Belle with Kevin Klein, because Klein was actually my first choice for the Blues on defense in last year's draft (although the player I really wanted them to take was Czech LW Vojtech Polak).

I'm not sure what the purpose of that exercise was, though. I proposed including Belle in a Tkachuk trade, and was roundly taken to task by you for including Belle in that deal (among other reasons -- I realize that the inclusion of Belle in the deal wasn't the major reason why you didn't like that proposal).

Ottawa fans -- at least, the ones I've spoken with -- would like to take Belle from the Blues in a Tkachuk deal, and indeed, the inclusion of Belle is what makes that deal most attractive to them. So if you don't like the Belle pick, would you agree to moving him along with Tkachuk for an upgrade/salary reduction at other positions?

PrussianBlue

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 05-22-2004 at 08:04 PM.
Old
05-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue

Ottawa fans -- at least, the ones I've spoken with -- would like to take Belle from the Blues in a Tkachuk deal, and indeed, the inclusion of Belle is what makes that deal most attractive to them. So if you don't like the Belle pick, would you agree to moving him along with Tkachuk for an upgrade/salary reduction at other positions?

PrussianBlue

I like that idea, it allows the Blues to both reduce salary and gain maybe a top prospect. If the Blues can grab Emery/Havlat/whoever else Id be very happy with Pleau.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:07 PM
guitaraholic*

the purpose of the excercise was pretty much to find out who the better prospect is at this point, in people's opinions. There was no hidden agenda other than I remember watching the draft and people discussing the choice of Belle over Klein. Nothing more. No hidden agenda at all. By the way when I say the Belle pick "scares me" I just mean that hockey sense, critical to the effectiveness of a player, has kept many a tremendously talented guys out of the NHL or at least reduced their effectiveness drastically. My understanding is that Belle has mediocre, at best, and at worst terrible, hockey sense. Klein is supposed to be a Kevin Lowe-type. *That* is a safe first round pick.
I hope all the Blues prospects reach their full potential and become solid contributors at the NHL level. I'm aware that this is never the case in the real world, however.
As for the Tkachuk to Ottawa deal, I simply don't like the return on Tkachuk/Belle. I don't think much of Bonk and I think Lalime will be allowed to walk so in essence it's Bonk for Tkachuk, Belle, etc... I may have forgotten certain details of the proposal though.
No agenda at all, folks. I love the Blues and can't wait to see some of these kids turn into really good NHLers and I fully believe that some of them will.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:27 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
I personally would prefer Belle. Mainly because of where we were drafting, along with the projected strength of the draft. Klein will probably be an nhler. But he definatley isnt projected to be anything to build around. With Belle on the other hand, the sky is the limit. Ive read articles that state if he reaches his potential, belle could be the best player in the draft. But that also depends on if his game developes with his athletic ability. And so far i have been impressed. The amount of progress he made between Blues camp and the WJC's was tremendous. Whatever mistakes he made (which I didnt notice many in the games i watched), he made up with his very, very strong skating. If he can learn to use that with his imposing strength, he will be a force to be dealt with.

Id have to say so far the blues made the right choice.

Closed Thread