HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

rangers books

Old
05-12-2008, 05:37 PM
bleedblue94

vCash: 500
rangers books

guys im wondering of any good books of behind the scenes books based on the rangers. i have recently read "nightmare on 33rd street" and "loosing the edge." wondering if there are any other good and insightful ones you guys know about.

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
guys im wondering of any good books of behind the scenes books based on the rangers. i have recently read "nightmare on 33rd street" and "loosing the edge." wondering if there are any other good and insightful ones you guys know about.
Not sure what that means, but heres one on the history of the club:

Game Of My Life: New York Rangers

by john halligan and john kreiser

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Not sure what that means
im talking of inner working of the club, trades that almost happened.. the behind the scenes stuff that most people never quite knew what happened... ill tell you those 2 books i read even though i already knew allot of what they described and what kinda crap played out there were allot of very interesting details that for a fan made a great read

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:55 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Play the Man by Brad Park

05-13-2008, 01:41 AM
eco's bones

Larry Sloman's A season in Hell with the New York Rangers. The 1979 team. The Maloney's, Barry Beck, Davidson, Duguay. Sloman is a bit of a counterculture figure by the way.

Barry Meisel's Losing the edge about the 1994 Stanley Cup team. Very funny stuff in this one. Keenan can freak you out. One of his ideas at the beginning of the season was to trade Leetch for Stu Grimson.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
im talking of inner working of the club, trades that almost happened.. the behind the scenes stuff that most people never quite knew what happened... ill tell you those 2 books i read even though i already knew allot of what they described and what kinda crap played out there were allot of very interesting details that for a fan made a great read
Ah, ok, Then the book I listed above doesn't really get into that. More History.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Barry Meisel's Losing the edge about the 1994 Stanley Cup team. Very funny stuff in this one. Keenan can freak you out. One of his ideas at the beginning of the season was to trade Leetch for Stu Grimson.
Yeah, read that book and that reconsider what a great coach Keenan was here.

Some of the things are funny such as the Glenn Healey interview and Mike "Gartman". But some are scary.

I think the best hockey book I've ever read (not a Ranger book though) is "The Game" by Ken Dryden.

05-13-2008, 08:50 AM
drewcon40

I read two Messier books.

Messier by Jeff Z. Klein
Messier: Hockey's Dragonslayer by Rick Carpiniello

Both are reviewed on Amazon. Both of them are pretty good reads. You can read both of them because there isn't that much overlap as far as redundancy goes. I was particulary interested in some of the input Messier had on trades. He was not very happy when Neil Smith traded Nemchinov (DragonSlayer) and in Klein's Messier bio, they talk about some controversy with Messier wearing number 11 for Vancouver. It was "unofficially retired to tribute Wayne Maki.

If you enjoy reading about the shortcomings of our rivals, I also enjoyed Fish Sticks: The Fall and Rise of the New York Islanders.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah, read that book and that reconsider what a great coach Keenan was here.

Some of the things are funny such as the Glenn Healey interview and Mike "Gartman". But some are scary.

I think the best hockey book I've ever read (not a Ranger book though) is "The Game" by Ken Dryden.
Agree on Keenan. He was a one way street. He spent the whole season trying to undermine his general manager--treated a lot of players like dirt--Gartner, Amonte, James Patrick, anyone on the black aces, was negotiating a contract with the Red Wings in the middle of the playoffs. It was just a year where everything fit together despite him. Both the Sloman and Meisel books take you into the locker rooms and up close with the players. In Sloman's book he is often scrimmaging with players after practice.

Old
05-13-2008, 12:17 PM
NYR469

When the Rangers were Young by frank boucher

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:41 PM
chosen

My favorite hockey book is probably Open Net, by George Plimpton.

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Net-Georg.../dp/1592281206

For those unfamiliar with Plimpton, he was a writer who would try playing exhibition games in different sports. He is a very good writer and it is a fun read.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post

Messier by Jeff Z. Klein

Both are reviewed on Amazon. Both of them are pretty good reads. You can read both of them because there isn't that much overlap as far as redundancy goes. I was particulary interested in some of the input Messier had on trades. He was not very happy when Neil Smith traded Nemchinov (DragonSlayer) and in Klein's Messier bio, they talk about some controversy with Messier wearing number 11 for Vancouver. It was "unofficially retired to tribute Wayne Maki.

If you enjoy reading about the shortcomings of our rivals, I also enjoyed Fish Sticks: The Fall and Rise of the New York Islanders.
FishSticks...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
I have that one too though it's more a period piece. You get Boucher's impressions of growing up in Ottawa and Prohibition era NYC along with his hockey memories.

A correction on the Meisel book. It was Zubov who Keenan wanted to trade for Grimson.

During training camp in Glens Falls this conversation takes place between Keenan and Neil Smith:

K: Leetch is your number one defenseman. Who's your number two?
S: Well, Mike, I don't really do it that way.
K: You have to do it that way.
S: Okay, then our number two has always been Patrick, but I hope this year it's Zubov.

Keenan scowls when Smith mentions his name.

K: Would you trade Zubov for Grimson?
S: I certainly wouldn't want to.
K: But you'd do it if it'd win you the Cup, right?
S: Mike, I'd do anything to win us a cup.

Last edited by eco's bones: 05-14-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I have that one too though it's more a period piece. You get Boucher's impressions of growing up in Ottawa and Prohibition era NYC along with his hockey memories.

A correction on the Meisel book. It was Zubov who Keenan wanted to trade for Grimson.

During training camp in Glens Falls this conversation takes place between Keenan and Neil Smith:

K: Leetch is your number one defenseman. Who's your number two?
S: Well, Mike, I don't really do it that way.
K: You have to do it that way.
S: Okay, then our number two has always been Patrick, but I hope this year it's Zubov.

Keenan scowls when Smith mentions his name.

K: Would you trade Zubov for Grimson?
S: I certainly wouldn't want to.
K: But you'd do it if it'd win you the a Cup, right?
S: Mike, I'd do anything to win us a cup.
My two favorites:

1) On the heals of an interview where Glenn Healey said that Keenan is very different from Al Arbour, Keenan called Healey into his office for a chat:

Keenan: So, what's difference between me and Al Arbour.

Healey: Four Cups.

Keenan: GET THE **** OUT OF MY OFFICE.

2) Mike Gartner and Mike Hartman were both in Keenan's doghouse. They were also very intimidated by him. They had played very little in a game (I think both were benched for the entire second period). With about 7 minutes left in the third and the Rangers losing, Keenan yells, "Mike Gartman get out there!" Neither of them knew who he was talking to/about.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post

Messier by Jeff Z. Klein
I read both of those Messier books and enjoyed both.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
My two favorites:

1) On the heals of an interview where Glenn Healey said that Keenan is very different from Al Arbour, Keenan called Healey into his office for a chat:

2) Mike Gartner and Mike Hartman were both in Keenan's doghouse. They were also very intimidated by him. They had played very little in a game (I think both were benched for the entire second period). With about 7 minutes left in the third and the Rangers losing, Keenan yells, "Mike Gartman get out there!" Neither of them knew who he was talking to/about.
I leant the book to a friend of mine--also a big Ranger fan and we've laughed over 2) several times. The Healy chat I didn't remember but that's hilarious as well. Keenan looks into the weight (?) room and sees a couple of his black aces and one of his regulars--says Hi to the regular and completely ignores the others. He's all over Leetch for a large part of the season--always telling him things like 'you're no Chelios'. Maybe it did Brian good though. That was his best season and in the playoffs he was just a monster and he was just throwing huge hits. He must have rocked Claude Lemieux (just ass over teakettle) at least three times in the Devils series. I never saw him hit people like that before or since.

Old
05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
I had a bid on a copy of this on ebay two weeks back but someone beat me last second. *******!

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 06:56 PM
in the hall

Quote:
My two favorites:

lmfao!!

that's my new facebook quote.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:40 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
My two favorites:

That's outstanding, I need to check that book out.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

"Broadway Blues" (I think) by Frank Brown, who used to cover the Rangers (very well) for the NY Daily News...It chronicles the 1991-92 season and then the 1992-93....awesome read

Losing the Edge I read in like 2 hours the day it came out. Good book.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 03:57 PM
NYR469

Quote:
its a real good read and gives you a really nice recap of the franchise early history (first 25 or so years) that often gets overlooked. and imo is a MUST read for all ranger fans. ALL rangers fans, no matter how old, should know about boucher, bill & bun cook, ching johnson, lester patrick (and the story of how he came in to play goal as coach in the finals), etc

it might not raise the same level of interest as the more recent years that we all witnessed but i'd highly recommend it to any ranger fan not familar with that early era

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:44 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
its a real good read and gives you a really nice recap of the franchise early history (first 25 or so years) that often gets overlooked. and imo is a MUST read for all ranger fans. ALL rangers fans, no matter how old, should know about boucher, bill & bun cook, ching johnson, lester patrick (and the story of how he came in to play goal as coach in the finals), etc

it might not raise the same level of interest as the more recent years that we all witnessed but i'd highly recommend it to any ranger fan not familar with that early era

I agree. These players are always overlooked when somebody comes on with one of his greatest ever ideas.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
"Broadway Blues" (I think) by Frank Brown, who used to cover the Rangers (very well) for the NY Daily News...It chronicles the 1991-92 season and then the 1992-93....awesome read

Losing the Edge I read in like 2 hours the day it came out. Good book.
A quick second for Broadway Blues. A very detailed day-to-day synopsis on that time period, where the decisions had great implications on the Stanley Cup that followed and pre-cursors to the lean years. Very detailed and interesting looks at the Richter/Beezer debate, and the Lindros draft debacle.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 01:11 AM
eco's bones

Though I'm currently reading something else so it will probably take me a few days--I began reading Losing the Edge again a couple days ago and find myself laughing aloud often. There is a lot of funny stuff in that book.

Old
05-18-2008, 07:30 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Play the Man by Brad Park
Yeah, I've got that somewhere around the house still. By Fischler, if I remember correctly. Park was always one of my very favourite Rangers, it was a pretty good read about the season's ups and downs when the Rangers were becoming quite a powerhouse.
I guess it would be fair to say it didn't talk about anything political, for example judging what management did. It was strictly on the ice happenings from what I remember, but still good reading.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote