HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erat signed to 7 year 31.5 million extension

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2008, 12:34 AM
  #26
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
This feels like the Zids contract... hoping for the best, fearing the worst. I'd be thrilled with a 7 year 31.5M contract for Suter and Weber but not so much so for Erat. I see Hlavac as Poile's answer to the need for a top 6 forward...with Holmqvist as the insurance policy.

I wonder if Poile sees the Wings rolling against the Avs and Stars compared to our series against them and concludes that we are very very close to breaking through? If so, he is merely reloading the same bullets in the same gun to try next year. Who knows, with consistent goaltending and a potentially higher seed maybe it isn't a bad strategy...

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:48 AM
  #27
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
I think you mean Hornqvist..

It sounds like Hornqvist is going to be given a shot with us, I expect him to be playing with Legwand and Erat next year..

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:45 AM
  #28
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
I'm not sure this was a great contract, but the idea that other gm's are going to be pissed off by this a bit over the top. Whenever someone gets overpaid, people always say this but it almost never occurs. When Lowe signed penner to that absurd rfa contract last year, it was supposed to be the end of the world as we know it. now it just looks one gm who made a bad deal.

in the nhl, teams generally operate in more of a vacuum than in some other leagues (nfl rookie contracts, mlb, nba, etc.). there is less of the "so and so got x amount of dollars, so we need to give him around the same." usually statements like that are reserved for us fans.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
  #29
RollingPredFan
Registered User
 
RollingPredFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Ack. I dunno, it seems like overpayment. I like Erat and Legwand as players... they don't suck or anything... but man I don't think they are worth the contract they got. And the length.... Ok Erat you better start producing along the lines of Dumont since you're getting his salary lol

Well our cap spending is going up, but it looks like its all going to go to our RFA's lol

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
  #30
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Ack. I dunno, it seems like overpayment. I like Erat and Legwand as players... they don't suck or anything... but man I don't think they are worth the contract they got. And the length.... Ok Erat you better start producing along the lines of Dumont since you're getting his salary lol

Well our cap spending is going up, but it looks like its all going to go to our RFA's lol
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...0&postcount=63

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:35 AM
  #31
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Erat, Legwand, Dumont and Arnott have no-trade clauses in their contracts.

"What we're hoping is that we can use these guys as building blocks for a foundation to be a
competitive team, and one that can compete for the Stanley Cup every year,'' Predators General Manager David Poile said.

"We're making our bed, if you will, with between six to eight
players. They are the guys we're giving the long-term contracts and the no-trade contracts. We're telling them that we want to be successful with them in Nashville.''
Source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....805130337/1028

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
  #32
Pattypred
Registered User
 
Pattypred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Okay so they can blow $32 million on a scrub like Erat but could not afford to keep a single piece of their core from last year?

How the hell did he snag more than Dumont?
They couldn't afford last year because the old owner was selling and he was dumping costs and wouldn't let David Poile resign our core guys.

We now have local owners and they are determined that the Nashville Predators remain the NASHVILLE Predators.

It's just that simply.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:53 AM
  #33
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Definitely seems like a bit hit for Erat. We continue to pay these 2nd-tier guys 4.5 million (Erat, Legwand, Dumont, Arnott), yet lack any true first line player.

That being said... I think Poile had these options with Erat. 1 year, 3.5 million, or 7 years, 4.5m/yr. If you sign him to a one year contract, he's UFA after that year.

Right now, we are banking that Erat can turn the corner into true first line player, as he enters his prime. He started the year off on-fire, but turned inconsisntent. If he can gain some consistentcy and more offensive confidence, it'll be an a pretty good deal for Erat in his prime. If not, we'll be paying 4.5m for inconsistency.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:31 AM
  #34
Wheels
Registered User
 
Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 500
Well, think about it like this.

What are the odds that eventually someone looks back on this deal and says "wow, Martin Erat was really underpaid"? Probably not great.

What are the odds that eventually someone looks back on this deal and says "wow, Martin Erat was way overpaid"? That seems more likely.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:49 AM
  #35
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Well, think about it like this.

What are the odds that eventually someone looks back on this deal and says "wow, Martin Erat was really underpaid"? Probably not great.

What are the odds that eventually someone looks back on this deal and says "wow, Martin Erat was way overpaid"? That seems more likely.
I think it will be the other way around.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:21 PM
  #36
thrillhous
Registered User
 
thrillhous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
A NTC? Haven't they learned anything from the Toronto situation? You can't hand them out like you hand out beers at a BBQ.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
  #37
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Definitely seems like a bit hit for Erat. We continue to pay these 2nd-tier guys 4.5 million (Erat, Legwand, Dumont, Arnott), yet lack any true first line player.

That being said... I think Poile had these options with Erat. 1 year, 3.5 million, or 7 years, 4.5m/yr. If you sign him to a one year contract, he's UFA after that year.

Right now, we are banking that Erat can turn the corner into true first line player, as he enters his prime. He started the year off on-fire, but turned inconsisntent. If he can gain some consistentcy and more offensive confidence, it'll be an a pretty good deal for Erat in his prime. If not, we'll be paying 4.5m for inconsistency.
Spot on analysis.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
  #38
jstreet
Smashville
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 8,179
vCash: 8001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
ok so Poile says he is handing out big contracts with NTC to about 6-8 people, and only 4 are listed there, I know Zids has a NTC.

Is he saying that we can expect the same with Suter and Weber, or am I missing someone else who has a NTC?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:54 PM
  #39
jstreet
Smashville
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 8,179
vCash: 8001
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I wonder if Poile sees the Wings rolling against the Avs and Stars compared to our series against them and concludes that we are very very close to breaking through? If so, he is merely reloading the same bullets in the same gun to try next year. ...

interesting thoughts..but makes you wonder how we would have ever made it through Anaheim and San Jose like Dallas did with this team.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:55 PM
  #40
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
ok so Poile says he is handing out big contracts with NTC to about 6-8 people, and only 4 are listed there, I know Zids has a NTC.

Is he saying that we can expect the same with Suter and Weber, or am I missing someone else who has a NTC?
Radulov when his contract is up

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
  #41
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Radulov when his contract is up
We'll I hope stand-pat Poile gets a little proactive this summer, and actually tries to sign Radulov to an extension before his contract is up.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
  #42
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 500
NHL SAYS NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND TO ERAT'S NEW CONTRACT WITH PREDATORS

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
  #43
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,539
vCash: 500
Looks like its really just a minor hic-cup. With some quick re-working he'll be signed by tommorrow

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:36 PM
  #44
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Looks like its really just a minor hic-cup. With some quick re-working he'll be signed by tommorrow
hopefully at a lower rate

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:38 PM
  #45
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
hopefully at a lower rate
Well, I think the overall money value is gonna be same, how its distributed will probably change to conform to the 100% rule

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
  #46
NORiculous
Registered User
 
NORiculous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 945
I don't get how a contract can fail to comply to the CBA like that.

I mean don't team have someone that checks those kind of things out before they send it in?

I'm sure they will re-fiddle it and it will go through, I'm just amazed it happens.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:36 AM
  #47
Fraserburn
Registered User
 
Fraserburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Forest, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
A NTC? Haven't they learned anything from the Toronto situation? You can't hand them out like you hand out beers at a BBQ.
Its not even a No Trade Clause...
Its worse, Its a No Movement Clause

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
  #48
Bad Karma
Registered User
 
Bad Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Not really it works out better for both parties, he simply can pick and choose where he can be traded if he were to be trade.

NTC - player cannot be traded without his consent; consent not required for waivers for assignment to minors.
NMC - player cannot be traded, waived for a claim by another team, or assigned to the minors without his consent.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 04:03 PM
  #49
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
I guess it's self-recognition on Poile's part to realize he never makes blockbuster trades but, IMO, the worst part of the deal (and Zid's deal) is the NTC/NMC. It's insane to pass those out like candy. He isn't getting a below-FMV price for giving it, which is the only instance where I think you can justify it.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 05:09 PM
  #50
oilmachine
Registered User
 
oilmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2376...=headlines_nhl

why?

oilmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.