HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Preds are going to spend money

Old
05-13-2008, 12:33 AM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
The Preds are going to spend money

Article from a few weeks ago, just posting this because some people think the Erat signing means the Preds wont spend money elsewhere.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...e-strings.aspx
Quote:
“I will be shocked if the Nashville Predators don’t have the biggest increase in payroll — both percentage-wise and in sheer dollars — of any team in the NHL,” David Freeman, who heads the Preds’ ownership group, told the Nashville Tennessean.

“There’s always been that chicken-and-egg question about who should go first: Should the team increase its payroll and then hope fans and sponsors follow suit? Or should the fans and sponsors put up the money, and then the team will spend the money?

“We are very clearly saying we’re taking the lead. We’re spending the money first.
Quote:
The Predators reportedly have about US$34-million committed for next season, with players such as goaltender Dan Ellis, defencemen Ryan Suter and Shea Weber, along with forward Martin Erat, unsigned.

Predators GM David Poile expects to sign the latter three, no matter what it takes.

“I’m working with David Freeman and ownership as to what it’s going to take to sign players we’d like to bring back, in conjunction with a budget that works for the ownership,” Poile told the newspaper. “But again, (the payroll) is going to be up considerably. So under different scenarios, there may be room for free agents and there may not be room for free agents.”
So there you go, not only was Erat re-signed but so will Suter and Weber.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Cool that the owner has the ability/want to spend up to the cap. Marleau to Nashville

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If you could sign Suter and Weber to the exact same deal, I would consider it an achievement. They both have the potential to be legitimate no. 1 defenseman in this league.

05-13-2008, 07:38 AM
flannelman
They're,Their,There

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
If you could sign Suter and Weber to the exact same deal, I would consider it an achievement. They both have the potential to be legitimate no. 1 defenseman in this league.
they certainly do.

What is the goalie situation going to be? Will they resign Ellis?

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Jarnberg

Mr. Freeman's quote about our payroll increase, is referring to the re-signing of our free agents and not necessarily about us going out and spending to the cap and bringing in a bunch of big players.

We were barely above the cap floor last year. Simply re-signing our young players will make us have one of the biggest payroll increases in the league.

Our payroll is going to jump immensely, but that is from simply bringing players back. This does not mean that our team is going to be better.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
What is the goalie situation going to be? Will they resign Ellis?
Mason will likely but shopped, but we will find no one willing to take him due to his $3 million contract.

Rinne is on a one-way deal next season.

Ellis will not be re-signed and will want to test the market.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 07:37 AM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Mason will likely but shopped, but we will find no one willing to take him due to his $3 million contract.

Ellis and management are talking now about a new deal. He has only been in the league for 1 year so his contract will not be that big.

I could see them buying out Mason's contract and taking the cap hit.

TBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 07:01 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

There's not much of a market to test: us, Dallas, Colorado, and Russia.

I think we could find a taker for Mason. How about Mason for Cammalleri?

I think we'll spend most of our money re-signing younger guys, but we have room to bring in one top six forward and a depth guy for Milwaukee. We may bring in a defenseman to mentor the young guys in Milwaukee if Henry leaves.

My personal targets:
Jason Williams
Niklas Hagman
Ryan Malone
Jaromir Jagr
Miroslav Satan
Michael Ryder (if we want to save money and take a gamble on him rebounding from that awful season in Montreal)
Georges Laraque (provided Hordichuk doesn't come back)

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 05-25-2008 at 07:06 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:12 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Jason Williams had Pred written all over him to me. No idea why, he just does. Alright, Mason's being bought out, Ellis'll talk but get nowhere with Poile, Rinne's in next season but behind a yet to be named #1 (Jose Theodore maybe?). Weber and Suter are getting resigned and I'm thinking a left wing here (Naslund or Huselius).

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Chainsaw

On our Board (Flyers) There was a Ryan Suter for RJ Umberger trade rumour. You guys hear anything? From what i've read here dont look like so.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
On our Board (Flyers) There was a Ryan Suter for RJ Umberger trade rumour. You guys hear anything? From what i've read here dont look like so.
what's ****** accuracy rating on trades ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
There wasn't a rumor, it was Eklund speculating that the Flyers and Predators could be good trading partners and mentioning that a Suter and Umberger swap could make sense...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
There wasn't a rumor, it was Eklund speculating that the Flyers and Predators could be good trading partners and mentioning that a Suter and Umberger swap could make sense...
Which is the funniest thing I've read in a LONG time.
-------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearney913 View Post
Jason Williams had Pred written all over him to me. No idea why, he just does. Alright, Mason's being bought out, Ellis'll talk but get nowhere with Poile, Rinne's in next season but behind a yet to be named #1 (Jose Theodore maybe?). Weber and Suter are getting resigned and I'm thinking a left wing here (Naslund or Huselius).
Theodore will not be a #1 anywhere next season unless he goes to Russia. Did you watch the Colorado-Detroit series? He was God-awful. The Avs may keep him, though, just because there isn't much else on the market. Or they could always go for Kolzig as a mentor to Budaj.

There are only 3 goalies on the FA market I could see us making a play for:

Huet (who will likely be back in Washington anyway)
Kolzig (as a mentor to Rinne; us, Colorado, and Los Angeles will all likely show interest)
Ellis (just because; us, Dallas, and Colorado will likely show interest)

If we let Ellis test the market he'll probably end up in a Dallas or Colorado uniform. I'm not sure where Kolzig will end up, so we might could bring him in and let Ellis walk if we can unload Mason. Ellis, though, would likely be the easiest to sign and we've still got a month of exclusive negotiation with him.

So, let's say we let Ellis walk and sign Kolzig. Then we can move Mason. Or maybe we buyout Mason and sign Ellis and forget about Kolzig. We're not going to ditch both Mason AND Ellis to make a play for Kolzig because it's too risky- we could end up not signing Kolzig, then Ellis signs with Dallas and Mason is in Colorado for a draft pick (provided they don't keep Theodore), and suddenly we're looking at Rinne and Dekanich in net in September.

If we don't sign Ellis, Rinne is the #1 next year unless Mason can play his way into the spot again.
Poile will likely let Ellis walk and keep Mason unless we can land Kolzig.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 05-26-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old
05-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Yeah, trading Suter for Umberger is ridiculously tilted towards the Flyers.

Old
05-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

How about the Preds spend some money and take Lundqvist from the Rangers for Mason, Weber, the 9th, and another pick?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
How about the Preds spend some money and take Lundqvist from the Rangers for Mason, Weber, the 9th, and another pick?

Old
05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I don't see what the problem is. I was as lighthearted as can be. You guys have a situation in net. This forum is littered with ****in crazy ass trades. I was throwing one out there. You couldn't severely be overrating you're own assets could you?

Talk of Weber and the 9th overall get your panties in a bunch that easily?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 12:19 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
You guys have a situation in net.
And that trade would make it WORSE. We have our starter going forward and throwing away Weber and two draft picks for a guy we really dón't need would just be ludicrous on Poile's part. Though I appreciate the gesture of taking Mason off our hands.

Besides, why in his right mind would Sather willingly part with Lundqvist? They don't have anyone who could take his place. Make Montoya your starter. I dare you. I double-dog dare you.

Old
05-27-2008, 06:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
And that trade would make it WORSE. We have our starter going forward and throwing away Weber and two draft picks for a guy we really dón't need would just be ludicrous on Poile's part. Though I appreciate the gesture of taking Mason off our hands.

Besides, why in his right mind would Sather willingly part with Lundqvist? They don't have anyone who could take his place. Make Montoya your starter. I dare you. I double-dog dare you.
They traded Montoya to Phoenix at the deadline.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2008, 08:43 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
They traded Montoya to Phoenix at the deadline.
Honest mistake.

But they really don't have ANYONE to replace Lundqvist. With Montoya gone next in line is Valiquette...

Old
05-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

There are very few players I would trade Weber for, throwing in a 1st round pick (9) plus more is not going to happen.