HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Predators re-sign Erat, 7 Years\4.5 per

Old
05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
This is not going to end well.
Do you see 300+ posts with it ending up being a b%^$ fest between Burke and Lowe fans? Cause I do.

How does this compare to other RFAs who gave up large chunks of UFA years, but arte not yet quite worth the money they are being paid now?

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
State of Hockey

This contract stunned me. Richards' did as well, but this is different. We've seen what Erat can do. He's nearly topped out and reaching the prime of his career. He's a second liner with PP skills. That's about it. He's never scored more than 57 points in a season, that's a decent, but not special number. So then he deserves 7 long years like a top UFA like Drury/Gomez and 4.5 million, a hefty number, on top of that? I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense. I didn't expect this out of Poile.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Teemu

I like this deal... but only from a Blackhawks standpoint

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Richter35

As some may have mentioned, this deal is buying 6 ufa years, and that counts for a lot. 4.5 as an rfa next year is stiff for sure, but don't you think if he had another 60 pt season and gone ufa next summer that somebody wouldnt have given him $4mil per? I think this is also an indication that stevie s. is done, his 3 mill off the books pays for erat's salary. Weber gets an extension and suter goes for carter in my book.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Do you see 300+ posts with it ending up being a b%^$ fest between Burke and Lowe fans? Cause I do.

How does this compare to other RFAs who gave up large chunks of UFA years, but arte not yet quite worth the money they are being paid now?
Please don't start with that trash again, you guys hijacked enough threads with that.

As far as the deal goes, it's alright. The length pretty much ensures it will be a steal or an anchor. It might be a good idea for the preds to take a bigger cap burden now and profit from this deal in a few years when the cap goes up more.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Erat=Richer than God

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Enstrom39

Personally I think it is too much for too many years.

On the other hand Poile has done the best job in the NHL at getting the most standing points for the least amount of payroll $$--both before and after the salary cap era. He has a strong track record of getting the most for his money so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Here are the post-lockout numbers in case you're interested:
http://thrasherstalons.blogspot.com/...ting-post.html

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Erat=Richer than God
I was waiting for it, but you brought it back even better

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:35 AM
The Fuhr

This was just the beginning, the Preds are going to spend money and re-sign everyone.

Article from a few weeks ago, just posting this because some people think the Erat signing means the Preds wont spend money elsewhere.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...e-strings.aspx
Quote:
“I will be shocked if the Nashville Predators don’t have the biggest increase in payroll — both percentage-wise and in sheer dollars — of any team in the NHL,” David Freeman, who heads the Preds’ ownership group, told the Nashville Tennessean.

“There’s always been that chicken-and-egg question about who should go first: Should the team increase its payroll and then hope fans and sponsors follow suit? Or should the fans and sponsors put up the money, and then the team will spend the money?

“We are very clearly saying we’re taking the lead. We’re spending the money first.
Quote:
The Predators reportedly have about US$34-million committed for next season, with players such as goaltender Dan Ellis, defencemen Ryan Suter and Shea Weber, along with forward Martin Erat, unsigned.

Predators GM David Poile expects to sign the latter three, no matter what it takes.

“I’m working with David Freeman and ownership as to what it’s going to take to sign players we’d like to bring back, in conjunction with a budget that works for the ownership,” Poile told the newspaper. “But again, (the payroll) is going to be up considerably. So under different scenarios, there may be room for free agents and there may not be room for free agents.”
So there you go, not only was Erat re-signed but so will Suter and Weber.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Peter Griffin

With raises to Dumont(+$1.5M), Legwand(+$3.4M), Erat(+$2.75) and Mason(+$1.75M), the Preds payroll for next season will already be increasing by just under $10M from those 4 players alone. Factor in raises for Weber(+$3.5M), Suter(+$3M) and Ellis(+$3M), there's another $10M or so right there. The only significant salary coming off the books is Gelinas($1.25M) and possibly Sullivan's.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 12:44 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
With raises to Dumont(+$1.5M), Legwand(+$3.4M), Erat(+$2.75) and Mason(+$1.75M), the Preds payroll for next season will already be increasing by just under $10M from those 4 players alone. Factor in raises for Weber(+$3.5M), Suter(+$3M) and Ellis(+$3M), there's another $10M or so right there. The only significant salary coming off the books is Gelinas($1.25M) and possibly Sullivan's.
I don't think Ellis will be re-signed, I think the Preds will go with a Rinne/Mason combo.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
True, but we can move salary if need be. Mason + a draft pick elsewhere would clear 3 million, Zidlicky makes 3.75 million and could be dealt. De Vries makes 2.75 million this year......the space can be made available, so I'm not entirely worried about where this is headed.

05-13-2008, 07:42 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
How is JP Dumont worth less than Martin Erat?

Whats Radulov going to ask for? 9 million per for 12 years?

IMHO, Erat is in the camp of "good, but not great", meaning he could be replaced. Buffalo added a few contracts like this in 06, (Kotalik at 2.5, Afinogenov at 3.33, Connolly at around 3, etc), and it killed their chances of signing Briere AND Drury.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
True, but we can move salary if need be. Mason + a draft pick elsewhere would clear 3 million, Zidlicky makes 3.75 million and could be dealt. De Vries makes 2.75 million this year......the space can be made available, so I'm not entirely worried about where this is headed.
Who is going to take on Mason?

Zidlicky has a NTC.

Who would take on de Vries, especially given that he was overpaid so that we could reach the cap floor?

Old
05-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Who is going to take on Mason?

Zidlicky has a NTC.

Who would take on de Vries, especially given that he was overpaid so that we could reach the cap floor?
Having a NTC rarely causes a problem in regards to said player being traded, unless your name is Wade Redden.

As I mentioned in my above post, we would probably have to ship Mason with a draft pick to move him.

DeVries comes off the books after this season, and while there may not be a lot of interested parties, I think he could be dealt. He definitely would be claimed on reentry waivers if push came to shove, which would still save us money.

My point was simply that room can be made, if that room is needed.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:23 AM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
I don't see the problem with this. Locking up a first liner, buying out 6 UFA years for 4.5, seems like a good deal to me.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

^^ He is only going to get better too. I dont see why people are *****ing about this.

Good deal.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Having a NTC rarely causes a problem in regards to said player being traded, unless your name is Wade Redden.

As I mentioned in my above post, we would probably have to ship Mason with a draft pick to move him.

DeVries comes off the books after this season, and while there may not be a lot of interested parties, I think he could be dealt. He definitely would be claimed on reentry waivers if push came to shove, which would still save us money.

My point was simply that room can be made, if that room is needed.
And my point is that I don't see any team taking on those players unless we're talking Zidlicky, who again, would have to waive his NTC.

Old
05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocheBag View Post
I don't see the problem with this. Locking up a first liner, buying out 6 UFA years for 4.5, seems like a good deal to me.
Erat is not a 1st line player.

Old
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Jarnberg

Ugh:

Quote:
Erat, Legwand, Dumont and Arnott have no-trade clauses in their contracts.

"What we're hoping is that we can use these guys as building blocks for a foundation to be a
competitive team, and one that can compete for the Stanley Cup every year,'' Predators General Manager David Poile said.

"We're making our bed, if you will, with between six to eight
players. They are the guys we're giving the long-term contracts and the no-trade contracts. We're telling them that we want to be successful with them in Nashville.''
Source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....805130337/1028

We are making our beds. This is a team that barely made the playoffs.

Old
05-13-2008, 08:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Ugh:

Source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....805130337/1028

We are making our beds. This is a team that barely made the playoffs.
You're being sensationalist here. Yes, we "barely made the playoffs," but if you saw us re-signing Jerred Smithson, Jed Ortmeyer and Vernon Fiddler to 5 year deals, then you might have a legitimate gripe. The team is spending money and committing to its talent...and David Poile said yesterday in an interview with George Plaster that he expects to be active in free agency, looking to add size and scoring.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Here's why I like the Erat contract. Inflation is reducing the amount of value on the contract. There is a huge difference between amount of money versus value. Inflation is going to dramtically drop the value of this contract to a point where we are going to be going, "Oh wow, look at this contract as compared to the contracts for these stats!" Unless the world goes through complete economic collaspe this will be a good contract for years to come.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I guess there is a perception that the salary cap will not go up some years. Maybe even some people think it will go down? The cap in 7 years will be at least $75 Million.

The problem won't be that some players will be overpaid when these long term contracts are near expiration. The problem will be, for example, a player who is not quite as good as a guy like Erat will be making $9mil.

Don't forget that the NHL will have a new CBA also. I wonder if these contacts are guaranteed if there is a lock-out?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Erat is not a 1st line player.
The truth of that statement will determine whether this is a good deal. If Erat tops out where he is now then the contract is not a good one IMO. The years and NTC are not worth giving to a 2nd line scorer. A 60 point player can be replaced for similar money, so it isn't worth the risk involved in such a contract. However, I am assuming if Poile gave him this deal he thinks Erat is on the cusp of breaking out into a first line guy. If he does, it will end up being a very good deal.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
You're being sensationalist here. Yes, we "barely made the playoffs," but if you saw us re-signing Jerred Smithson, Jed Ortmeyer and Vernon Fiddler to 5 year deals, then you might have a legitimate gripe. The team is spending money and committing to its talent...and David Poile said yesterday in an interview with George Plaster that he expects to be active in free agency, looking to add size and scoring.

No Willie asked Poile if it is fair to assume that they are spending most the money that they are willing to spend on their own players and he said yes. He said that there were free agents that he was interested in but he also said the free agent market isnt that great this year. I agree with Stranger on this one. Yes, I love the fact ownership is willing to spend money but we are giving redicolous contracts to good players that will always make our team good, but never will take us to the next level. In order to take the next step we are gonna have to hope some of our young draft picks can step into the NHL immediately and be impact players while they still are on there rookie contracts.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote