HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Habs rival: Bruins, Leafs, or Nordiques?

View Poll Results: Our Biggest Rival?
Leafs 55 26.57%
Bruins 100 48.31%
Sens 9 4.35%
Other 3 1.45%
Nordiques 40 19.32%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Quite true, it's been ages since the Habs had a playoff series with the Leafs. However, playoff series between the Habs and Bruins have become almost inevitable. The Bruins lose to the Habs when they're the underdogs and they also lose when they're the favorites. I suppose there'll be a cyclical change some time in the future but let's hope that doesn't happen in the next decade or two.
Pretty much. Habs fans are quick to forget the Neely era when the Habs couldn't beat the Bruins in the playoffs.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Habs fans are quick to forget the Neely era when the Habs couldn't beat the Bruins in the playoffs.
I know I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Pretty much. Habs fans are quick to forget the Neely era when the Habs couldn't beat the Bruins in the playoffs.
True... I remember those years (early 90's)...
I think the majority of the fans here weren't following hockey back then...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Agreed. Leafs are not in the picture. I would put Flyers and Rangers higher than them.

Nordiques
Boston
Flyers
Rangers

and then maybe Leafs.

The rest is just hype generated by Toronto fans in my mind.
Remember that we have spent DECADES not playing agaisnt each other...
Really, you find a Habs-Rags game has more rivalry than a Habs-Leafs game?

Rivalries aren't just formed on the ice, the best have quite the geographical component.

Old
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Nordiques.

Families split over it. Parents disowned children. The writers and beat guys were FIGHTING each other. When one of the teams announced something, the other team rushed to the gate to announce something to beat it. Kids were fighting over it in school. Guys were fighting over it in bars, in the stands. You didn't watch the other team's TV Channels. You didn't drink their beer, you didn't eat their fastfood, and you didn't vote for the party who's color was the other team's primary. And as players, you had to HURT them as much as you had to beat them. As a Habs fan, you had no respect for those commies, that dirty no good SOB Hunter and that ***** Michel Goulet.

And Alain Coté's goal was NOT GOOD!

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Nordiques.

Families split over it. Parents disowned children. The writers and beat guys were FIGHTING each other. When one of the teams announced something, the other team rushed to the gate to announce something to beat it. Kids were fighting over it in school. Guys were fighting over it in bars, in the stands. You didn't watch the other team's TV Channels. You didn't drink their beer, you didn't eat their fastfood, and you didn't vote for the party who's color was the other team's primary. And as players, you had to HURT them as much as you had to beat them. As a Habs fan, you had no respect for those commies, that dirty no good SOB Hunter and that ***** Michel Goulet.

Old
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Nordiques.

This post wins.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Nordiques.

What about Peter Statsny and Michel Bergeron?

Awesome post!

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Orange

Nords
Bruins
Leafs

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Mustafa*

I remember that a common insult in my schoolyard was "tu prends pour les Nordiques" wich means more than any explanation.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:28 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Nordiques.

Montreal Molson and Quebec O'Keefe were the beers. What was the fastfood you mention? Smoked meat and grilled hot dogs?

I had a hate relationship with the Nordiques but I loved to watch games at the Colisee. The atmosphere was electric in a very old Forum kind of way.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I remember when the first decisive victory of the Nordiques over the Habs was what made it personal. First the Nordiques were not taken seriously. They were like the little brother that's annoying but of no consequences. But when the Nords eliminated the Habs in the playoffs after a goal by Dale Hunter in ovetime, it was such a shock. And a wake-up call. "How come these little ***** beat our legendary team?". I'm telling you it was either disbelief and the refs had to check and re-check again to see if the puck really went in. It was so funny the way Hunter went to the ref almost like a kid asking for a permission waiting to get approval. The Ref noded, and Hunter irrupted. The Nordiques kept jumping all over the place like kids. The crowd was dead silent. And then some people started to applaud. As some sort of respect thing. And that was the beauty of it.
Easily the best sporting event I have ever attended. The emotional swings in the stands were something to behold, and the tension/violence in the blue seats at the forum was downright scary. After the game there were some Nordiques fans on our bus who were taunting this guy in a Habs jersey. So naturally, the guy attacked the Voyageur bus. Spiderwebbed the front windshield, scared the crap out of the driver, and probably broke his hand. He was out of his mind with anger. I don't think I've ever seen the forum faithful so despondent or violent as after that game.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
That was a long time ago. Since the "Neely era," which temporarily interrupted a long trend line, the Bruins have been the Habs' obliging stepping stone to the next round. The ratio of being on the pleasant side of deciding game handshakes is 24:7. It might take a century for the Bruins to catch up--if the teams meet often enough and things go their way.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:48 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
and then maybe Leafs.

The rest is just hype generated by Toronto fans in my mind.
Remember that we have spent DECADES not playing agaisnt each other...
I agree. I've long said the "rivalry" for the Leafs and Canadiens is generated in Toronto and in the media.

I know very few Canadiens fans that get too excited about beating the Leafs. Who cares?

I guarantee if you posed this question on the Leafs board, they would all say the Canadiens and Senators are their big rivals. They'd be shocked to hear that over here very few consider them to be rivals at all.

To me, a rival has to be a team you hate, and, on the other hand, a team you really respect too, because they are good, and they are a threat to your hockey club. The Leafs just have never been that team... at least not since the late 1960's.

Even in 1993, when the Leafs were a game away from playing Montreal in the Stanley Cup Final, I couldn't have cared less. I knew, once Montreal advanced to the Final, they'd already won the Cup because LA or Toronto, they were gonna steam roll either one of those teams.

LA put up very little fight, mainly on the strength of Gretzky, but the Leafs were totally exhausted and been playing over their heads for a month. It would have been four and out.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
Easily the best sporting event I have ever attended. The emotional swings in the stands were something to behold, and the tension/violence in the blue seats at the forum was downright scary. After the game there were some Nordiques fans on our bus who were taunting this guy in a Habs jersey. So naturally, the guy attacked the Voyageur bus. Spiderwebbed the front windshield, scared the crap out of the driver, and probably broke his hand. He was out of his mind with anger. I don't think I've ever seen the forum faithful so despondent or violent as after that game.

Fantastic.

If I may say so I know Nords fans hated the Habs but I never got the thinking of rooting for the Avs. Shouldn't it be even MORE painful than rooting for the Habs? My cousin started to root for the Habs when the Avs won the cup. He was so mad that they left Quebec and when they won it all he had saliva dropping down his mouth out of shear hate. Plus the Habs player he couldn't stand the most was Patrick Roy and he was with Colorado too. In a way the 90s Avs were both the Nordiques and Canadiens' fans ultimate nightmare team: A success built on the screw ups of Marcel Aubut and Réjean Houle.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:14 AM
GNick42

The Nords rivalry for sure...I didn't think it would ever get that big. It was vicious at times. The Good Friday Massacre would be a good example. Toronto in the '60s was a big rivalry but faded as the Leafs became a league doormat. Not the same since...I don't believe we have met the Leafs in the playoffs for 30 years. Boston was less of all three but a good rivalry in '70s and '80s. We had many playoff encounters with them. If we played Toronto as many times as Boston in the playoffs...look out...not sure it may be intense as the old Nords/Habs rivalry

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:23 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Montreal Molson and Quebec O'Keefe were the beers. What was the fastfood you mention? Smoked meat and grilled hot dogs?

I had a hate relationship with the Nordiques but I loved to watch games at the Colisee. The atmosphere was electric in a very old Forum kind of way.
I think Jacques Lemaire called Bergeron 'un mangeur d'hotdog' ore something along those lines. Then Bergeron could sell himself as being the coach for the common man, as opposed to Lemaire the elitist.

At a point, it seemed to pushing players into political stereotypes and,imo, it started going overboard at that time. I think at a point, the players, themselves felt that it had become too much. By the time Bergeron left, the nords had re-built, and the story of the 93 opening round had unfolded, it wasn't the same rivalry anymore. It had become hockey again.

Funny, I remember watching the Nords in the WHA days, Sunday nights on TVA, and being a fan. They were the home team to me. I remeber picking for them a few playoff series before they played the cH in the post season. Everything changed after that though. I'd hire Dale Hunter in a minute, but I still feel some reactionnary contempt whenever I see his face. Don't even get me stared on that little JF Sauve.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I'm dreaming of a Nordiques return...with Dale Hunter as coach! You would have Carbo saying "fighting, pfff we don't care for it, it should be banned, we don't like that kind of hockey and if you play that way watch out for the powerplays because we're good at that". With Hunter laughing and laughing and laughing...

I also think shows like 110% and La Zone would implode with guys taking side.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
LeMAD

Nordiques and it's not even close.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Nordiques.

Best post in this thread and it resume the Habs/Nords rivalry to the perfection. The thing with that rivalry is that it went beyond the ice and it was almost like a civil war between Quebec and Montreal.

That was the best period in hockey and i don't think anything will ever touch that. Those who didn't lived it cannot really understand how insane it was. It was even more crazy , if like me , you were an Habs fan living in Quebec and vice versa. At times i was feeling like a tracked animal and got a lot of heat at school for it but for some reason i was enjoying it.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Joe Cole

For me, growing up in the 70's... the rivalry was always the Bruins.

In the 80's the Nords came around, but... I could care less about them, I always thought they were a so-so team that played well against the Habs, but really were not in the same league.

The folks in Toronto seem to think it was a great rivalry, but I never found it to be a big deal for Montrealers. The rivalry with the Leafs is more of recent thing for me. They were in the Western Division for much of the 80's and 90's... and let's face it, they had some really bad teams over the years.

That said... I love beating the Leafs... especially when Raycroft is in nets.... (just like old times with the Bruins)

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

I hope to God the Nordiques come back soon. It'll take pressure off of me for being a B's fan in Montreal. I'd probably go unnoticed if the Nordiques were back.

Old
05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I hope to God the Nordiques come back soon. It'll take pressure off of me for being a B's fan in Montreal. I'd probably go unnoticed if the Nordiques were back.
move to boston

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
move to boston
Why? I love the city of Montreal and I've been here my whole life. You saying that has no effect on me whatsoever.

Old
05-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
When did that occur?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote