HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect park: Season review

Old
05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Anyway back from picking my daughter up from school.

Skokan--'Of all the amateur prospects, Skokan was one of two who impressed us most'. (the other I would assume is Sanguinetti). 'He already has an NHL body and has shown a steady improvement during his three junior seasons. (Assuming he goes back to juniors as an overage). We want to see him break out and double his numbers next season and continue on a path as a Sean Avery clone--a player who can be a scorer, a defender, grinder, and agitator.'

Soryal--Rangers signed him not to be just a goon. 'Soryal is a player who can set up in the crease, set screens and take a pounding while looking for deflections and rebounds. He is smart, will find his niche quickly and not try to do too much.' Rangers think he may be a real diamond in the rough like Girardi.Lafleur--a chance the Rangers might not retain his rights and let him go right back into this draft. Mention that he did have a young, very inexperienced defense in front of him. 'Lafleur is expected to be traded to another QMJHL team. We hope Lafleur (will) invest in a high-level goalie school to rebuild his fundamentals, his confidence and his potential.' Just wow...

Hagelin--'We'd like a repeat of his freshman season, not in terms of his 22 points but rather his defense and penalty killing. With Michigan losing two key players--we want Hagelin to step up and replace one of them--twenty goals is a fair number to ask for. He need to get stronger and take charge more. He is close to becoming an elite college player, one that the Rangers will not want to wait three more seasons for.'

Campbell--With three years to go at WMU, his development is right on track--improve in the defensive end and get stronger in the upper body, add ten pounds. He has shown he can handle better competition, the next step is for Campbell to take the lessons of his freshman year and put them to good use. We want no less than 15 goals and an 'A' on his sweater.'

Hobbs--will be a freshman at UMass-Amherst in 08-09. They want him to get bigger, work on his stickhandling and put in the effort needed to work his way up the depth chart.

Ryan--'The Rangers are not going to offer Ryan any kind of contract. This is a sad ending for a player with talent and potential, but he's had a ton of bad luck and too many injuries.'

Foote--'We wanted to see him on an ATO just for his work ethic and his size, to see if he could offer anything. We hope he at least gets a chance in Charlotte.'

Hunter--'The Rangers wanted Hunter in Charlotte, but he opted instead for college. The Rangers will not offer him a contract and will allow him to become a free agent.'

Beller--'The Rangers retain his rights until his original class graduates in 2010. Beller's intention is to play for another US D-1 college. If he finds one, he'll have to sit out next season as a red shirt transfer.'

This is great info...thanks for posting. Love what they say about Soryal. Been saying on here that he is my darkhorse to surprise everyone and maybe even get a call up next season. Did they find the next Clarkson here?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:12 PM
eco's bones

What I remember hearing of Soryal is he is a very intelligent kid at and away from the rink. If I remember correctly he made the almost unheard of jump from a junior C team to a major junior team. So he has overachieving in his blood. The other thing I remember about him is his skating needs a lot of work still so next season might find him going back and forth between Hartford and Charlotte but the Rangers need more guys with his combative attitude on the ice.

As for Kveton--the article didn't do European prospects. Kveton is intriguing to me as well. I don't know how the Rangers see him now--I kind of have the idea they wanted him to play in North America this past year.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I see the Soryal hype maching is going into full effect, happens around here every offseason with one or two of our prospects.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Fletch

On Soryal...

just so I know we're talking about the right person - he is an undrafted soon-to-be 21 year old, correct? Not knocking anyone's opinion on him, but I just wanted to be sure we're all on the same page.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:33 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
just so I know we're talking about the right person - he is an undrafted soon-to-be 21 year old, correct? Not knocking anyone's opinion on him, but I just wanted to be sure we're all on the same page.
Yes, same guy...

http://www.outsidethegarden.com/arti...ory.asp?id=532

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I see the Soryal hype maching is going into full effect, happens around here every offseason with one or two of our prospects.
Reminds me of the hype that surrounded Busto just last summer...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:15 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Reminds me of the hype that surrounded Busto just last summer...
Or he could turn out to be another Dan Girardi, you never know.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Or he could turn out to be another Dan Girardi, you never know.
No one ever knows, but the Girardis of the world are few and far between. Skokan sound interesting. Sanguinetti is going to need a year or two in Hartford before he is ready for the show, IMO.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I definitely think he does. He's put his game together more this year -- rather than just defense, his offensive game has found itself (stats don't tell the whole story -- he was much more involved this year from everything I saw).

He's nasty as can be on the ice and sometimes quite dirty. Loves to win and is a super fierce competitor.
when Skokan was drafted, i read info that he was compared to bobby holik. anyone think this is true?

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:20 AM
eco's bones

It's hard not to like Soryal when you can google the fight parade he's had. His scoring numbers arent' bad either--compared to Colton Orr's junior numbers Soryal absolutely blows him away. If Soryal makes it it's probably as a 4th liner. Talking of fighters with skating issues reminds me of Terry O'Reilly who was a horrible skater when he first became a Bruin--some question of whether he was the worst skater in the league. His other skills weren't top shelf either but off the top of my head before his career was over he had a few 70 point seasons. Sometimes you don't know. The diamond in the rough Girardi comments were not mine--they came from Blueshirt Bulletin as did anything in quotations. No doubt they are quoting the head of player personnel or one of the scouts.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Exactly why I am calling the guy the dark horse. Nobody is expecting him to make it. He's the underdog. He has nothing to lose here. With that, I think he's going to surprise a few people.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
SPG

Quote:
I definitely think he does. He's put his game together more this year -- rather than just defense, his offensive game has found itself (stats don't tell the whole story -- he was much more involved this year from everything I saw).

He's nasty as can be on the ice and sometimes quite dirty. Loves to win and is a super fierce competitor.
I liked what (little) I saw of him in the WJC. Should be a fun year to follow him next season.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
SPG

Quote:

I liked what (little) I saw of him in the WJC. Should be a fun year to follow him next season.

Old
05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
SPG

Quote:

Old
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
SPG

Quote:

Old
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
SPG

Quote:

I liked what (little) I saw of him in the WJC. Next season should be a fun year to follow him .