HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Biggest Habs rival: Bruins, Leafs, or Nordiques?

View Poll Results: Our Biggest Rival?
Leafs 55 26.57%
Bruins 100 48.31%
Sens 9 4.35%
Other 3 1.45%
Nordiques 40 19.32%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Why? I love the city of Montreal and I've been here my whole life. You saying that has no effect on me whatsoever.
What made you become a Bruins fan? Just wondering.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan1990 View Post
What made you become a Bruins fan? Just wondering.
My dad is a Bruins fan and I watched them a lot as a kid. Plus, Bourque is my favourite player ever and he made me enjoy watching the B's.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Kachino

Quote:
My dad is a Bruins fan and I watched them a lot as a kid. Plus, Bourque is my favourite player ever and he made me enjoy watching the B's.
Same here... but I'm not a Bruins fan though...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:10 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
But your bro was intelligent enough to follow the rest of Montreal and cheer for the Habs.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
I hope to God the Nordiques come back soon. It'll take pressure off of me for being a B's fan in Montreal. I'd probably go unnoticed if the Nordiques were back.
Montreal based Ruin's fans will never be respected, we will always look upon them with disdain and judge them to the deepest of their soul. And that even if Longeuil and Laval would have NHL teams.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Puckhead58*

The Bruins for sure.
Its always a good game when we play the Bruins, lots of hitting, good goaltending, nice goals and just plain good hockey.

The Leafs are right up there too but the games aren't as chippy as the Bruins games and the Leafs always find a way to beat the Habs, so I hate watching Habs vs Leafs games.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
But your bro was intelligent enough to follow the rest of Montreal and cheer for the Habs.
His bro's a good guy, but shouldn't he have converted his father and brother by now ? Remember a few years ago, my old man said he was picking for the Leafs in a series against Philly ? That won't happen again.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
His bro's a good guy, but shouldn't he have converted his father and brother by now ? Remember a few years ago, my old man said he was picking for the Leafs in a series against Philly ? That won't happen again.
It's easier said than done. I once tried to convert my whole family but it was a FAIL. Basically :

- My father was a Nords fan
- My mother was a Nords fan
- My brother was Nords fan
- My sister was a Nords fan
- Both of my Grandfathers and Grandmothers were Nords fans
- My uncles ect are all Nords fans as well

Even to this day they still hate the Habs with a passion and they are now all Avs fans .

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:58 AM
mapes

I'm a Leafs fan but I don't see that big of a rivalry with you and Boston. It's the type of rivalry that will last a couple years and just go away. I never saw Quebec and Habs rivalry but that was probably pretty good. But Habs and Leafs will always be the biggest rivalry in hockey. Many of their games aren't with a bunch of fights or whatnot but every game is intense. Most games are close in score and the play is about even. This year 3 games went into OT. Myself, I hate Sens more than the Habs but I still see a bigger rivalry with Habs and Leafs that will never get old.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:05 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
When did that occur?
1986, Adams division finals. They refused the goal and the Habs went on to win the cup...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I'm a Leafs fan but I don't see that big of a rivalry with you and Boston. It's the type of rivalry that will last a couple years and just go away. I never saw Quebec and Habs rivalry but that was probably pretty good. But Habs and Leafs will always be the biggest rivalry in hockey. Many of their games aren't with a bunch of fights or whatnot but every game is intense. Most games are close in score and the play is about even. This year 3 games went into OT. Myself, I hate Sens more than the Habs but I still see a bigger rivalry with Habs and Leafs that will never get old.
I agree with most of what you are saying... I think Toronto-Montreal is the bigger rivalry but its a little dormant now since they haven't had a playoff series.... One time we meet in the playoffs and it will explode.

But Boston is for sure a huge rival.... We've just played them so many times in the playoffs, not just recently... but basically every decade we meet up for 2-3 playoff series at least. Boston hates us more than we hate them though, as they usually end up losing these playoff series.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Watching hockey growing up in the 60's, when they'd play the Leafs seemingly every Wednesday night, you hated the Leafs, but they weren't the game that got everyone excited.

It was Chicago, the anti home team faction in the city were Chicago fans in those days. They seemed to disappear and become B's fans by the end of the decade.

68,71,77,79 all great series that people can still talk about. The B's have endured as the main rival though, nearly 40 years. As heated as it gets, you can scrape away the vitriol and find some respect.

The Leafs aren't the same. The average Hab fan dislikes them, is offended by that shade of blue, but a Leaf game isn't a Bruins game. HNIC works hard to sell it as a historical thing, but it's their hype, not reality.

67 is still etched in my mind as the most disapointed I've been watching hockey. That's it though, there just haven't been enough 'moments' between the 2.

Maybe the 2 teams were never at the top of their game at the same time, maybe the divisonal thing killed it, I don't know, but it's more disdain than rivalry.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:20 AM
A Boy Named Kobasew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Boston wins overall. The Nordiques rivalry was the most intense while it was on, but it was too short to get the overall win. Toronto is more of a marketing/fan rivalry than an on-ice one.

Exactly.

A Boy Named Kobasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
1986, Adams division finals. They refused the goal and the Habs went on to win the cup...

That was 1985 if I'm not mistaken.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
He's right,Toronto will always be our biggest rival.Also all we need is 1 playoff series agaisnt Ottawa and that will probably be just as bad as boston.Lots of Hab fans hate the hell out of the sens

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:56 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He's right,Toronto will always be our biggest rival.Also all we need is 1 playoff series agaisnt Ottawa and that will probably be just as bad as boston.Lots of Hab fans hate the hell out of the sens
No, lots of Sens fans hate the hell out of the Habs.
Habs fans really don't care about the Sens except that their fans are so ****ing annoying.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Kachino

Since I started watching hockey in 1990–91:

- Toronto Maple Leafs: From 1990–91 to 1997–98, they were in the Norris and Central division. From 1997-98 to 2003-2004, they made it to the ECF twice and defeated the Ottawa Senators 4 times in the playoffs. Montreal and Toronto never played against each other since 1978-1979.

- Quebec Nordiques: From 1990–91 to 1994–95, they missed the playoffs 3 times. Montreal and Quebec played once against each other in 1992-1993. Michel Bergeron wasn't the coach anymore and Peter Stastny and Michel Goulet were traded the prior to the 1990-91 season.

- Boston Bruins: From 1990-91 to 2000-01, they defeated Montreal 3 times in the playoffs. From 2001-02 to today, Montreal defeated Boston 3 times in the playoffs.

For me, the biggest rivalry is with the Boston Bruins.

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
No, lots of Sens fans hate the hell out of the Habs.
Habs fans really don't care about the Sens except that their fans are so ****ing annoying.
Witch is why im saying if a series would end up happening in the enxt couple of years it would probably pick up more steam the the bruins

Same can be said about the bruins,it's the fans that we hate cause they always have some new excuse

Old
05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
icerocket

It's gotta be the Habs-Leafs. It's true Habs have played Boston way more often than the Leafs but the hatred between the two fanbases (Habs and Leafs) even after this huge hiatus of playoff games can't be ignored. I mean all it's gonna take to be the #1 rivalry in everyone's mind will be one playoff series.

Quote:
Of course a Bruins fan would laugh at this. But where is the rivalry when one team consistently loses to another and one fanbase almost ignores the other. Fact is Bruins fans want us to be their main rivals but most habs fans don't consider them to be.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-14-2008 at 11:53 AM.
icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Of course a Bruins fan would laugh at this. But where is the rivalry when one team consistently loses to another and one fanbase almost ignores the other. Fact is Bruins fans want us to be their main rivals but most habs fans don't consider them to be.
Right on,can't blame them beside's us they don't have much of a rival since Hartford left

Old
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
It's gotta be the Habs-Leafs. It's true Habs have played Boston way more often than the Leafs but the hatred between the two fanbases (Habs and Leafs) even after this huge hiatus of playoff games can't be ignored. I mean all it's gonna take to be the #1 rivalry in everyone's mind will be one playoff series.
The Leafs two decade plus long stint in the Campbell Conference really took a bite out of the rivalry. That combined with how utterly horrible the Leafs were through the 80's makes it somewhat remarkable the rivalry is still as strong as it is. As others have noted, 1 playoff series, which is inevitable to happen eventually, should be the catalyst to remind both teams and its fans what it once was.

Whether that's bigger than the Bruins and the Nord's or not, I'm in no position to say.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 12:16 PM
mcphee

Quote:

I disagree. When you think of great wins or crushing losses, you look at Habs/Bruins.I can think of more meorable Habs/Bruins brawls than I can Habs/Leafs games. The Leafs are just a team down the 401 that we don't like.

There haven't been more than a handful of important games in 40 years. Thru the 70's, th eplayers condiered the B's their chief rivals. There have been enough memorable games/series/incidents since then to confirm this.

You're not arguing who teh greatest rival is,moreso who you think it 'could' be 'if'....

Most Hab fans I know consider the B's to be the team you have to beat.

Old
05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
ari1160

i would have to say that in the last 10-13 year-ishh is the Boston and Leafs. i was not around when the Quebec were there but i seen few old games and it was crazy.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Ray Bourque was a great player, no doubt about it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote