HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Discussion about Sundin today After Maurice firing.

Old
05-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I never thought I'd see the day...GILMOUR in a HABS jersey!!

But...it happened!!

(not bugging you, just curious...how did you feel when you saw Gilmour in a HABs jersey? was it strange? surreal? it was slightly strange but in a good way for me!).

Gilmour is probably the best player (or top 3) in the history of LEAFS, no?
Sundin/Gilmour
Gilmour/Sundin
Clark
Salming?
Rick Vaive (kidding!)

I'm probably forgetting a few (sorry)...

p.s.: confession...I despised Gilmour as a LEAF, but absolutely loved him as a HAB!
Also, back to topic...I'd love to see Sundin in a HABS jersey for 1 year (he'd make a great 3rd line center...just kidding, he'd be our #1 center for a year or #1A center, etc...).
Gilmour isn't close to the best player in Leafs history, and I this as a guy who became a Leafs fan in the first place because of him.

He just wasn't there long enough. We have 13 Cups, there is plenty of history with this team and plenty of great players. Gilmour doesn't deserve to be near the top.

That said, at his peak, he was better than any other Leafs player during my lifetime and it isn't close.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 08:37 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Toronto's not going to do a full-out rebuild, no matter how much the fans want.

Toronto's not going to endure a 3-year period near the bottom of the league, collecting high draft picks...no matter whether it will be helpful to the team's future or not.

Toronto can endure a 3 yr re building period.

i betcha 10 bucks that although you'll hear people whining and *****ing for those 3 years, you'll still see a sold out ACC centre for each of those 3 years.

Quote:

But...it happened!!

(not bugging you, just curious...how did you feel when you saw Gilmour in a HABs jersey? was it strange? surreal? it was slightly strange but in a good way for me!).

Sundin/Gilmour
Gilmour/Sundin
Clark
Salming?
Rick Vaive (kidding!) <--- NO KIDDING!!!!

p.s.: confession...I despised Gilmour as a LEAF, but absolutely loved him as a HAB!
Also, back to topic...I'd love to see Sundin in a HABS jersey for 1 year (he'd make a great 3rd line center...just kidding, he'd be our #1 center for a year or #1A center, etc...).

he was the reason why i was a leafs fan during my young influencial years. he was the first leafs 50 goal scorer and i think he did it 3 times. plus his number was the same as my birth day. the year they traded him away was the day i switched over to a habs fan ( the year they won the cup w/roy in net as a rookie)

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-10-2008 at 01:57 PM.
maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 09:17 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sundin/Gilmour
Gilmour/Sundin
Clark
Salming?
Rick Vaive (kidding!)

Not even close, dude.

Syl Apps, George Armstrong, Ace Bailey, Johnny Bower, King Clancy, Brian Conacher, Dick Duff, Tim Horton, Red Kelly, Dave Keon, Frank Mahovlich, Darryl Sittler and maybe even Bill Barilko, are some of the players that are arguably ahead of Doug Gilmour.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Yeah, that shows he's CLUTCH. Not like Lidstrom, Forsberg, Zetterberg, Lundqvist, Alfredsson, Sedins, Ohlund, Holmstrom had nothing to do with that? It was all about Mats showing how clutch he was.

Mats can take his gold medal and retire back to Sweden. He's not a the warrior we need in the middle and he's not welcome here. A proven playoff performer like Forsberg. That's a different story.

It's amazing how Sundin gets put in the same category as the greats like Yzerman, Sakic, Francis, Trottier. He hasn't earned that. He's a level below that caliber of player. He gets elevated by playing in Toronto where he is treated like a god for some reason.

He's essentially Pierre Turgeon all over again. Similar stats, similar non-impact player in the playoffs. So you're asking me do I want a 37-year old Pierre Turgeon clone next season? No thanks.
I denounce this post.

Anyway, I like Ferrisrox's posts, especially the one about Fletcher's mandate. I just wonder how long the Leafs can afford to wait to get a permanent GM. It seems to me that it takes at least 3 to 4 months before a new GM is ready to make impact moves, though in thinking of Gainey as an example, I'm perhaps taking a cautious and conservative case.

I suppose the organization is more or less on auto-pilot for the draft, as the scouts have already drawn up their list and the GM doesn't normally have much to do. And if there are deals to be made, then Fletcher is probably the guy to make them because the Leafs are still in hatchet mode. Fletcher might get another chance to move Kaberle, Tucker and the rest for some quality draft picks and prospects after all.

I guess it also means that they aren't expecting to be competitive on the UFA market. But then again, July 1st is still far enough away for all kinds of decisions. Also, big time UFA signings are often brokered by the owners themselves. If they want to go after Redden and Hossa, they won't need a GM to do it. But it would be so foolhardy, given the Leafs situation, that I just don't see it happening.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2008, 01:34 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Gilmour isn't close to the best player in Leafs history, and I this as a guy who became a Leafs fan in the first place because of him.

He just wasn't there long enough. We have 13 Cups, there is plenty of history with this team and plenty of great players. Gilmour doesn't deserve to be near the top.

That said, at his peak, he was better than any other Leafs player during my lifetime and it isn't close.
I wouldn't dismiss Gilmour's claim to the "Best Leaf Ever" title because the Leafs, despite their 11 Stanley Cups (sorry, but it's just sad to count cups one by the St. Pat's and Areneas among your own) they have a curious place in hockey history in that if you were to list the truly elite players in hockey history, the Leafs strangely lay claim to none of them.

All of the greats, Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Richard, Dionne, Plante, Beliveau, Hull, Lafleur, Esposito, Roy, Messier, Bourque, etc you are going to be creating quite a list before you come to *any* Leaf players at all.

The likes of Teeder Kennedy, Busher Jackson, King Clancy etc come way way way down that list.

Then you have guys like Darryl Sittler, who had a nice career, but is far from an "all timer" and never won a damn thing in his career.

To say that Gilmour doesn't deserve to be near the top is disrespectful to the fact that, for his short time in Toronto he was truly among the very best players in the league. Despite what Leaf fans like to pretend about Sundin, he never could make that claim. He was a top tier player, but never, could it even be remotely argued that he was the best player in the league. For Gilmour, for a couple of years, that case could be made.

The Leafs just don't have a history of having truly elite players. (Look at the list of Vezina, Hart and Norris trophy winners to really drive this point home) So to disrespect the only guy you could make an argument for in the last 60 years is pretty odd, coming from a Leafs fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Not even close, dude.

Syl Apps, George Armstrong, Ace Bailey, Johnny Bower, King Clancy, Brian Conacher, Dick Duff, Tim Horton, Red Kelly, Dave Keon, Frank Mahovlich, Darryl Sittler and maybe even Bill Barilko, are some of the players that are arguably ahead of Doug Gilmour.
You have got to be kidding! You're a Leaf fan and you don't even know your own teams great players?

There is ZERO argument that could be made for Dick Duff, Brian Conacher, Red Kelly or Bill Barilko.

These guys aren't even close to that title. *THEY* would be shocked to hear you say this.

Even more appalling is the omission of Turk Broda, one of the few true greats the team had!

Last edited by FerrisRox: 05-10-2008 at 03:35 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
Toronto can endure a 3 yr re building period.

i betcha 10 bucks that although you'll hear people whining and *****ing for those 3 years, you'll still see a sold out ACC centre for each of those 3 years.
Ah, but you missed my entire point.

The fans for the most part are not the issue. We sold out games during the Ballard days, we can sell out anytime.

It's MLSE themselves that won't endure the rebuild, not the fanbase...though we certainly have the idiots that think it's good to go all-out every year with vets.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 04:57 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
The guy never made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Never. Not once. How clutch is that?
Neither have the vast majority of the guys on our team.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2008, 09:01 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Ah, but you missed my entire point.

The fans for the most part are not the issue. We sold out games during the Ballard days, we can sell out anytime.

It's MLSE themselves that won't endure the rebuild, not the fanbase...though we certainly have the idiots that think it's good to go all-out every year with vets.
well as leafs fans you all know what that means. NO CUP till MLSE LEAVES.

can't understand why rebuilding isn't in their terminology.

Old
05-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:

But...it happened!!

Sundin/Gilmour
Gilmour/Sundin
Clark
Salming?
Rick Vaive (kidding!)

Gilmour was on the downside of his career, it happens in the NHL, Orr to Boston? ***.. Coffey to the Canes?!? Belfour to Sweden.....

Honestly, at the time, and no offence the habs didn't intrigue me, we would easily win most the games, there wasn't a rivalry. Now that the tables have turned and your team is doing well and ours isn't, make me sick knowing Sundin.... who would make your team a Contender.... signing with you guys.... this is what i'd do to the rumours, tune them out.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Sundin

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Pere Noel

I am convinced Gainey will try to sign Sundin.

A) He knows we need another centerman.
B) We don't really have one in the pipeline ready to step in.
C) He tried to sign Briere last year.
D) Sundin is the best centerman available this year.
E) Sundin could settle for a one year contract. And that would still leave a provision for Lecavalier next year.
On the other side on the fence.
There is hope that Sundin would consider another team... since the Leafs were ready to dump him.
All that being said, I have never been a big Sundin fan... but I really think he would help us... we are not strong enough at center.... and he did get better in important games the last few years.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
...deleted...

Now, let's not get carried away but if this happens, UFA will line up to come to Montreal for the 100th year and a chance to win the Cup.

- 5M to Sundin;
- 5M to Jagr;
- we choose who we want to add in the defense and to add grit.

...deleted...
Wow, that would be good if he could convince both of them to sign to those amounts... I guess by saying... we are going for a cup now...

Clearly, Gainey prepared the table for this summer again, by letting Huet (will cost more than 3 millions) go, and Ryder will go as well (was 3 millions).

That's 6 millions cleared... Smolinksi should go too... that's another 2 millions. We are up to 8 millons.

Plus, we already had some room... some of it will be taken by contract increases... (Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Gorges, O'byrne, Halak, Streit).

We will see if Brisebois will fit into Bob's salarial mass.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 05:50 PM
transitguy

#13 is available. Has anyone ever worn #13 for the Habs?

transitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy View Post
#13 is available. Has anyone ever worn #13 for the Habs?
That's a good question. My instinct tells me that it must have been retired, but I can't think of who has the honour. I am going to guess: Lucien Deblois.

And now I checked. I was wrong. (Deblois was 27.) Apparently, the last player to wear 13 for the Habs was Billy Boucher, in 1921-22. Oddly enough, one of the only other two players to have ever worn 13 for the Habs also wore it in that same season.

For fun: http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/08...alltime_num_1/

Old
05-12-2008, 09:30 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
That's a good question. My instinct tells me that it must have been retired, but I can't think of who has the honour. I am going to guess: Lucien Deblois.

And now I checked. I was wrong. (Deblois was 27.) Apparently, the last player to wear 13 for the Habs was Billy Boucher, in 1921-22. Oddly enough, one of the only other two players to have ever worn 13 for the Habs also wore it in that same season.

For fun: http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/08...alltime_num_1/
that list is very screwed up. i didn't find no koivu under 11. or komi under 8. ( just took a glance)

Old
05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Kachino

Quote:
that list is very screwed up. i didn't find no koivu under 11. or komi under 8. ( just took a glance)
Look right above 9 and 12 and you will see them...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
They're both there, but you're right that the list is screwed up. The pages were scanned from a book one after another. So the columns don't line up. If you look at number 11, for instance, the column is at the right hand side of the page, and ends with Leo Somebody in 1934. There's a subtle page break on the left, and the list is continued there, where we find Koivu at the end.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but those two guys are definitely there. (There's no SKostitsyn though. Too recent I guess.)

Old
05-12-2008, 10:38 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
You forgot Mario Lemieux (from your list )
I was reeling off the greats from Original Six teams.

Old
05-12-2008, 10:39 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
Gilmour was on the downside of his career, it happens in the NHL, Orr to Boston? ***.
I think you mean Orr to Chicago.

Old
05-13-2008, 07:53 PM
BLONG7

Sundin to the Habs July 1st...if this were to happen, the guys at TSN would be jumping out of buildings...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote