HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Straka

View Poll Results: Resign Straka
No 50 41.32%
Yes 22 18.18%
Maybe, if the price is right and he has a limited role, Jagr or no Jagr. 49 40.50%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
This is the problem...

with this offseason. The Rangers have a bunch of kids who may be ready for the NHL, but few of them have any kind of 'wow' to them and are mostly third and fourth liners with a couple who may be able to crack the top 6. That's a serious problem when trying to figure out who this team should keep/add. I'd like to move on from Straka, but who replaces his minutes? Even if he's injured and can't play every game he can be useful. Heck, the same can be said for Shanny, who I thought looked like a 39 year old power forward out there and still scored more than 20 goals, somehow, and provided leadership to this team. Who replaces that? Heck, the top scoring kid was Dubi, who tallied 40 points while playing extensively with Jagr. While that's nice for a 21 year old, that's the Rangers' best point-getter last season from a kid younger than Gomez. And while many laud the advances some kids made last season, especially on the forward side (Dubi, Cally, and Dawes), these kids benefitted from being shielded by the vets and aren't ready to stand on their own, and standing with Drury and Gomez is not too far from standing on their own. I actually have no solutions to offer up because the situation isn't that good, I believe. I think Sather will look outside the organization for help.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:05 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
with this offseason. The Rangers have a bunch of kids who may be ready for the NHL, but few of them have any kind of 'wow' to them and are mostly third and fourth liners with a couple who may be able to crack the top 6. That's a serious problem when trying to figure out who this team should keep/add. I'd like to move on from Straka, but who replaces his minutes? Even if he's injured and can't play every game he can be useful. Heck, the same can be said for Shanny, who I thought looked like a 39 year old power forward out there and still scored more than 20 goals, somehow, and provided leadership to this team. Who replaces that? Heck, the top scoring kid was Dubi, who tallied 40 points while playing extensively with Jagr. While that's nice for a 21 year old, that's the Rangers' best point-getter last season from a kid younger than Gomez. And while many laud the advances some kids made last season, especially on the forward side (Dubi, Cally, and Dawes), these kids benefitted from being shielded by the vets and aren't ready to stand on their own, and standing with Drury and Gomez is not too far from standing on their own. I actually have no solutions to offer up because the situation isn't that good, I believe. I think Sather will look outside the organization for help.
Agreed, its going to be a very arduous offseason.

And we will have to rely on Sather heavily. He will HAVE to make a few good trades. And thats what im scared about. Sather is going to have to get creative. Theres a strong possibility that guys like Hossa and Campbell will sign elsewhere, for a number of reasons one being that the Rangers can t afford anymore long term contracts at that level.

He's going to have to get some younger veterans in here that can do the job while trading away some popular players IMO. Prospects and or/ roster players.

Problem is, we all know Sather has his comfort zone with certain clubs and hasnt really shown his ability to make some great trades in situations like this offseason.

I could see him taking the easy way out by signing Jagr and even Straka. And while it might be an ok solution for next year, all it does it prolong what the Rangers really need and that to compiment the centers they have locked up long term.

He biggest chore is the Jagr situation, because that will effect this team greatly. Does he go out and sign him first or wait and see if he can land a big free agent or winger through trade?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 05-12-2008 at 09:33 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:22 AM
clmetsfan

The thing with Straka, as is the case with all our other UFAs, is that it all depends on what Jagr does. If we lose Jagr and replace him with someone like Ryder then I don't see a need to bring Straka back. But then maybe we should make more of an effort to re-sign Shanny and use him in a more limited role just so we have another proven scoring threat.

But yeah, gonna be a very interesting offseason. I just wish it would start already.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I really don't want to see Straka back at all. Pandering to Jagr for another season isn't going to get us anywhere IMO. If Jagr wants to come back, he should be inclined to do it on our terms, not his. His salary could easily be used to sign other players who are better candidates for our system to begin with.

Straka and JJ are both great players, but I think everyone could benefit from a new direction.

Sure he can PK and he's still pretty fast, but I'm sure for 3 mil a season we could find someone who is just as reliable on the PK, and is 10 years younger. Not to mention we have a lot of young guys ready to break into the lineup who are equally adept on the PK and have the speed as well. I really see Korpedo filling Straka's place in the lineup next season.

I don't want to sign guys for "limited roles" because there isn't much point. I'd rather see a guy who is signed at 800k trying to earn a spot on a lineup than a guy earning 2-3 mil while he spends most of the time on the bench contemplating retirement.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 12:37 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That's ridiculous. He's a professional athlete. Have we really lowered our standard to the point that someone gets credit for he's doing what he's supposed to be doing?

Might as well congratulate him (or give him mad props) for not robbing a bank.
Some players call it quits, i basically dont care anymore cause it doesnt make any sense to try to sell Straka when i am not on the team

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:16 PM
bumrusherer

Well yes but he shouldnt have to be placed in a situation where he is absolutely needed to score.

I would bring him back regardless of what J.J does.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
Some players call it quits
Who?

05-12-2008, 04:36 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who?
Marcel Hossa looked like he semi gave up during the year, i dont know i just know Straks is very important for other reasons

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Oh, and when has Straka contributed in the palyoffs?!?!

Did you watch that series against the Penguins? He missed about 7 goals...

If you put a finisher in his skates the Rangers might still be playing...
HBNYC,
Yes, he missed his chances, but if you think that a few missed deflections from Straka are the reasons that the team is no longer in the playoffs, I would have to disagree.

My main point for keeping him has been lost amidst all this. The fact is, he is a very versatile player, and he's not asking to break the bank like Nylander was at this point last year. He does his job very well, and for a nominal price.

I just don't want to see the team go out and sign or trade for a second rate player. There's a lot of talent on this team that is developing fast, and I'd rather not have them be blocked by a guy with a long contract and half the capabilities of Straka (and likely on a one year contract). If we're talking about trading for someone like Kovalchuk, that's a different story, but if we're talking about replacing Straka with someone like Ryder or Malone, I find this to be a big mistake.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Fletch

Back to Straka...

on another point, can Dawes be as productive, with and without the puck and on the PK, as Straka given a full season? Essentially no Straka means that Dawes will be there to replace him. Of course after Dawes someone would then need to replace Dawes. We're always fearful of guys from the outside, and that's also what makes this tough. I've kind have thought that moving away from Straka may be in the team's best interests, but then think of the alternatives.

Again, this offseason will be very tough and it may be tough for the Rangers to build on what they've accomplished over the last three seasons. The team centered around guys like Straka and Jagr and later Shanny and it's tough replacing those minutes. Gomez and Drury are nice, but a guy like Drury really makes noone around him any better and Gomez runs hot and cold - although this season he was mostly very good for the Rangers.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 10:13 PM
blandBob

I'm not convinced that Straka is of no value to the Rangers next season. Never mind Jagr. Or to put it more succinctly, in my opinion Marty Straka experienced a really bad streak through the playoffs. I think he is a better player than that, and I saw little sign of his game falling off fundamentally the way that Shanahan's did (yes, Shanny experienced injuries, I realize).
I actually question that Marty would be useless without JJ. I think he would be fine with the Rangers as a part of the transition, whether JJ is there or not.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
I'm not convinced that Straka is of no value to the Rangers next season. Never mind Jagr. Or to put it more succinctly, in my opinion Marty Straka experienced a really bad streak through the playoffs. I think he is a better player than that, and I saw little sign of his game falling off fundamentally the way that Shanahan's did (yes, Shanny experienced injuries, I realize).
I actually question that Marty would be useless without JJ. I think he would be fine with the Rangers as a part of the transition, whether JJ is there or not.
If Straka suffered a bad streak in the playoffs that certainly does not bode well for the future as he played his most involved hockey of the year in the playoffs.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:30 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

No, I want Shanny back but not #82...if we can get a young guy to take his place full time.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote