HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Diablo 2

Old
05-14-2008, 01:02 AM
Joey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I disagree with you 100%.

It's my favorite game of all time.

It has a personal meaning to me attached to the fact it's simply the best, most ****ed up story-line ever.

If only the ending was better..
I agree completely. Cloud's psychological issues are the most interesting things I've ever read, watched, or let alone played in a freakin video game. Pure genius, every aspect of it, except (like you said) maybe perhaps the ending. I want to play Crisis Core for the PSP, it's basically playing as Zack as he climbs the ranks of SOLDIER before the eventual Nibelhiem incident.

Last edited by Joey: 05-14-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Meh, Final Fantasy 7 might be the most overrated game of all time IMO.
I have to agree... 7 wasn't all that great. It was good but, 8 and 9 were AMAZING....

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:01 AM
pirolafire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabs View Post
Gay Box anyone ?
That game is pure drug !
hahahaahaha gay box i used to do it all the time
good times

pirolafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:40 AM
suprez

Diablo 2 ... Oh Yeah !! I do the single player one time each years hehe.

Blizzard bough recently www.diablo3.com (which was owned by fans and not by blizzard for 5 years+)

For me it's clear that diablo3 it's their next project.
The problem it's the team that worked for diablo 2 they all left blizzard. I bet they will use the Starcraft team.
-----------
IRVINE, Calif. – May 12, 2008 – – Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced plans for its third BlizzCon™ gaming convention, to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California on October 10 and 11. BlizzCon is a celebration of the global player communities surrounding Blizzard Entertainment®'s Warcraft®, StarCraft®, and Diablo® franchises. In response to the demand to accommodate more attendees, this year's event has expanded from two convention halls to three."
-------------

They will talk about WoW , Starcraft and?????? D3!

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:42 AM
mtl_felix

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
Diablo 2 ... Oh Yeah !! I do the single player one time each years hehe.

Blizzard bough recently www.diablo3.com (which was owned by fans and not by blizzard for 5 years+)

For me it's clear that diablo3 it's their next project.
The problem it's the team that worked for diablo 2 they all left blizzard. I bet they will use the Starcraft team.
Couldn't believe nobody talked about Diablo 3 yet..

Can't wait for the Worldwide invitationals on june 28-29th.. D3 should be announced there :O

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
suprez

It's the transition 2D to 3D that scare me.

The best Hacknslash 3 D game that i know it's Titan Quest.So i guess it's possible.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:07 AM
maci4life

the whole diablo series was awesome. That genre of gaming is the most fun along with the 2 dungeon seiges, baldurs gate, icewinddale, neverwinter nights, wizardry, sacred.

those games along with CIV, MOO, HOMM, are the reason why i will not go to a console system and stick with a PC.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownies View Post
Am I really Old school if I say I didn't buy Diablo 2 because I tought it sucked compared to Diablo 1 ? Or does that means I was a nerd a long time ago ?

I liked the simplicity of the old games on the snes. Power, start the game, enjoy. No long videos, no discussions (even in RPG it wasn't that bad). What was more simple than Diablo 1 ? Kill everyone, go down one level. Kill everyone, find a cool sword. Go to bed without ruining your life. Amen.

Haaaaa nostalgia. Makes you believe everything was better before, while it wasn't. I remember the first time I played "online". It was a 1st person shooter called "blood". I played with my friend who lived in front of me via our modem. He had to call me with is modem, so my phone was ringing for about a minute, than my modem could answer and we could play. Most of the time, my mom answered the phone and my friend could hear her speaking through his computer. Hello ? Hello ? After each 30 minutes of play, someone from one of our house would pick up the phone and disconnect us. Yeahhhh it was the golen age.

Haha, i remember that game Blood. And the good old times of playing via modem... you had to tell everyone in the house : Dno't pick up the phone! I'm playing a game! But the noise.... it was so scary

Dashboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:42 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
the whole diablo series was awesome. That genre of gaming is the most fun along with the 2 dungeon seiges, baldurs gate, icewinddale, neverwinter nights, wizardry, sacred.

those games along with CIV, MOO, HOMM, are the reason why i will not go to a console system and stick with a PC.
i was playing d2 a while ago .. but i recently started playing starcraft and broodwars again for fun haha.
cant wait for sc2 to come out tho

gotta agree about civ and moo although i never got into HOMM tho, although having said that, if finances allow for it, i wouldnt mind being able to play both a console game AND pc games ala civ and moo, etc

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:34 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
I have to agree... 7 wasn't all that great. It was good but, 8 and 9 were AMAZING....
8 was by FAR the gayest FF ever made. The guardian system was garbage. The love story was garbage. I hated that game from the first hour to the last....

9 was okay. Felt a bit nostalgic but i thought it lacked depth. And the characters were way too....kiddish.

7 was the pinnacle of RPG at the time. The materia system was pure genius. The story was engaging and you actually CARED about the characters.

Its only drawback was that, basically, you could make every character identical.

I didnt play any of the other FF though, so maybe they're better.

But FF7 was by far the one with the most replay value.

The n00b King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Are you joking?

I mean I could accept someone saying FF6 was better. But 8 and 9? They were great but I never crave to play it again very often. Where as 7, I want to play it over and over again and just wait and put it off until I forget most of it so I can enjoy it and go through the thrill of it again.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:47 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurolized View Post
any of you guys still playing this haha i started up again playing hardcore
good old days brought back lol
I did get back into it maybe about 8 months ago, then about 3 months ago I started playing WoW

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:51 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Are you joking?

I mean I could accept someone saying FF6 was better. But 8 and 9? They were great but I never crave to play it again very often. Where as 7, I want to play it over and over again and just wait and put it off until I forget most of it so I can enjoy it and go through the thrill of it again.
Dude 8 was far better then it got credit for, 7 was far worse then it got credit for, and 9 was amazing and got the cred it deserved.

7 was garbage imo. They should've waited until they could produce FF8 type graphics before making FF7. Mind you, I played it mostly on the PC version which sucked but it's still not the greatest game. I find FF7 is such a bandwagon game, anyone who loves RPG's just says its the best when FF2, FF3, FF9, Chrono Trigger, Heck even Chrono Cross, Secret of Mana, etc are all better than FF7.

My personal opinion is that FF8 would have been better then 7 had junction not made the game FAR too easy. FF12 is also better then 7..... the list of RPG's square has made that are better then FF7 is very long imo. I find FF7 to be the most bandwagoned for and overrated game of all time. Not saying graphics are everything, just saying, it felt like it was put together sloppily. You take basically an FF3 engine and put nice graphics in it, make a lovable character but a not so great game, and what do you get? FF7. It should've been oldschool graphics or ff8+ graphics not somewhere in between, for that I found it hard to take seriously.

I find it's severely overrated. Storyline for one, is good, same with the movie. But the actual game isn't anything great imo.

Old
05-14-2008, 10:55 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
The golden age ?

Anyway, the PSX era wasn't that great for game, it was more of the awkward adolescence of gaming. Some of those 3D graphic just look horrible now and nothing new was really created.
SNES & PSX = Golden age of RPG gaming, period

The PS2 era was horrible, ff10 + 10-2 and 11 were garbage. FF12 was good tho, unique game.

SNES had all the classics and more japanese ones like Front Mission, Secret of Mana 2, etc

PSX had a bunch of new-school RPG's (at the time new school) with pretty good graphics for the time. (I remember being amazed at the cut scenes in FF8)

Personally I thought the love story in FF8 was OK, the story over all was lacking but the actual gameplay only suffered due to junction making it too easy. The overall premise of the story was planned well up until the end of disc 3 and on. I felt they tried too hard to show you amazing graphics and not hard enough on story, but the game itself was a lot better then people gave it credit for. I liked the GF's I just thought junction was stupid and not well thought out. The card game was fun too.

Old
05-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
The golden age ?

Anyway, the PSX era wasn't that great for game, it was more of the awkward adolescence of gaming. Some of those 3D graphic just look horrible now and nothing new was really created.
They looked bad at the time too. That's why I never shelled out $400 in 95 for any systems. You wouldn't believe how bummed I was that the side-scroller era was dead and everything looked like Starfox.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:59 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
They looked bad at the time too. That's why I never shelled out $400 in 95 for any systems. You wouldn't believe how bummed I was that the side-scroller era was dead and everything looked like Starfox.
Oh god don't get me started. I hated that era because I was always a big fan of Megaman/Mario type side scroller games.

Megaman Legends 1 + 2 & Megaman 64 :

Mario 64 + Mario Sunshine :

I absolutely HATED castlevania in 3d too, prefer sidescroller.

Why do people think Symphony of the Night was SO successful especially during that era? Maybe because A) the gameplay was amazing, B) the game itself was amazing and the level design was brilliant, but C) IT WAS STILL A SIDE SCROLLER

I love those games even till this day Mario 3 is my favourite mario game, though I plan on giving galaxy a chance cause I heard it's the first non-sidescroller mario that's actually good.

Old
05-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Dude 8 was far better then it got credit for, 7 was far worse then it got credit for, and 9 was amazing and got the cred it deserved.

7 was garbage imo. They should've waited until they could produce FF8 type graphics before making FF7. Mind you, I played it mostly on the PC version which sucked but it's still not the greatest game. I find FF7 is such a bandwagon game, anyone who loves RPG's just says its the best when FF2, FF3, FF9, Chrono Trigger, Heck even Chrono Cross, Secret of Mana, etc are all better than FF7.

My personal opinion is that FF8 would have been better then 7 had junction not made the game FAR too easy. FF12 is also better then 7..... the list of RPG's square has made that are better then FF7 is very long imo. I find FF7 to be the most bandwagoned for and overrated game of all time. Not saying graphics are everything, just saying, it felt like it was put together sloppily. You take basically an FF3 engine and put nice graphics in it, make a lovable character but a not so great game, and what do you get? FF7. It should've been oldschool graphics or ff8+ graphics not somewhere in between, for that I found it hard to take seriously.

I find it's severely overrated. Storyline for one, is good, same with the movie. But the actual game isn't anything great imo.
How do you think they were able to make 8 look good? By using what they learned from 7. They increased their staff by the thousands to make FF7 and it was a huge accomplishment at the time. You have to start somewhere.

And I think 8 sucks in every way possible. Horrible, unappealing characters, uninteresting fight and weapon systems and an overall feel that made me put it down after 4 days of buying it. That's how much I hated it. I bought the damn thing and it wasn't worth my time.

No wonder you're a godless heathen.

Old
05-14-2008, 11:09 AM
neofury*

Quote:
How do you think they were able to make 8 look good? By using what they learned from 7. They increased their staff by the thousands to make FF7 and it was a huge accomplishment at the time. You have to start somewhere.

And I think 8 sucks in every way possible. Horrible, unappealing characters, uninteresting fight and weapon systems and an overall feel that made me put it down after 4 days of buying it. That's how much I hated it. I bought the damn thing and it wasn't worth my time.

hahaha lol...

Differences in taste I guess. But I do realize why the graphics weren't as good. I'm only saying maybe they should've held off on releasing it until they DID learn to make better graphics. An FF7 graphical remake would be worth playing. I just hated the kiddy look to it, even FF9 the graphics were good and the characters look kiddy, but it fit the game. In FF7 Cloud is supposed to be a real bad ass guy, but he looks like a troll doll or a baby-goku. I just think it doesn't fit right. I just never could get passed that issue with the game, the graphics. In FF8, the graphics were amazing and I thought Squall was cool. Sypher was a pretty lame enemy.

Old
05-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
hahaha lol...

Differences in taste I guess. But I do realize why the graphics weren't as good. I'm only saying maybe they should've held off on releasing it until they DID learn to make better graphics. An FF7 graphical remake would be worth playing. I just hated the kiddy look to it, even FF9 the graphics were good and the characters look kiddy, but it fit the game. In FF7 Cloud is supposed to be a real bad ass guy, but he looks like a troll doll or a baby-goku. I just think it doesn't fit right. I just never could get passed that issue with the game, the graphics. In FF8, the graphics were amazing and I thought Squall was cool. Sypher was a pretty lame enemy.
They definitely should do a remake.

Old
05-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

I agree. In fact, I stop playing that game right at the start of the last disc. One of my least favourite FF games. Never got to finish the game and basically lost the game in my house too.

I thought FF9 was great but the ending was the worse than watching the Devils win a 1-0 game. FF7 was great but I was like 12 so probably didn't appreciate the story as much as I should have. I'm afraid to play it because it'll take me at least 60 hours. Now that I think about it, I didn't even beat all the weapons yet so I actually didn't finish that game as well.

My current game is Guild Wards.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

I hated the Chrono Trigger/Cross games, I thought they were boring an unappealing. Maybe people bandwagon FF7, I don't know, I find FF6 is more bandwagoned than it. But for me FF7 and Star Ocean: The Second Story are the two best RPGs ever created and I don't care if the graphics are not very good in either one, which FF7 cinematics at the time were groundbreaking but the actual appearances matter nothing to me in relation to the storyline (the best game storyline ever made, imo) and the fighting system. Materia was the best magic system they had, I wish they would go back to it.

Final Fantasy 7 was a game that kept me intrigued every step of the way, it constantly shifted but kept the same continual theme. Sephiroth was the ultimate badass along with Jenova being a mystery, there really hasn't been a villain on par with Sephiroth in any game since FF7. I found FF8 was done very poorly, the storyline was so broken and you never really knew what was going on, the whole sorceress business was pretty lame and I just found that it was good at the beginning and then slowly declined all the way until the end.

FF9's ending was potentially the worst. Here's some big ****ing robot that has nothing to do with the whole game, he's your final boss. That's pretty stupid to me. The rest was really good now reflecting on it.. I'd say FF7>FF9>FF8 at this point. Final Fantasy 10 had great graphics, loved the whole cloister of trials business but there was a lack of love affair with the characters and FF12 had a fun new battle system but the story line was lacking.

FF13 appears to be very promising and I can't wait for the release.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:45 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:

woah. never met someone who defended FF8 so much. FF8's graphics may of been better, but you have to remember that FF7, solely, lauched the psx and the rpg genre into the stratosphere of popularity. it was a practically dead/stale genre before that.

Square is very much aware of the popularity of FF7 and how great that game was (there's a reason that the game ranks among the top 5 rpg of all time on everyone gaming magazine/site list). Hence why they are considering remaking it for the ps3, which in all frankness, needs something to keep it going. There arent any interesting RGPs on the ps3 (save for Oblivion). And seeing the weapons in 1080p would just be face melting....

FF9 was too cutesy, too linear and the game was just not that interesting. I mean i liked how they went back to the roots and got away from the awful awful FF8, but there was just some kind of...."magic" missing from it...

Only FF6 and FF7 have kept me up all night and playing for days non stop.

Chrono trigger was pretty damn good too, but a different kind of game altogether. And chrono cross was a huge disappointment. And it was damn short too and made virtually no sense.

The n00b King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Oh god don't get me started. I hated that era because I was always a big fan of Megaman/Mario type side scroller games.

Mario 64 + Mario Sunshine :
I'm all for sidescrollers, but Mario 64 was awesome.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
A1
Everything is awful

FF6 for me is still the greatest game of all time. FF7 was definitely second-best but still majorly overrated. FF8 freakin' sucked, so linear. FF9 I'm having trouble remembering anything from except the black mage. I think Chrono Trigger was the second best rpg on SNES. Chrono Cross was crap though, you could get 20 or more characters in the game and they all were identical and had no storyline.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:21 PM
mtl_felix

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
FF6 for me is still the greatest game of all time. FF7 was definitely second-best but still majorly overrated. FF8 freakin' sucked, so linear. FF9 I'm having trouble remembering anything from except the black mage. I think Chrono Trigger was the second best rpg on SNES. Chrono Cross was crap though, you could get 20 or more characters in the game and they all were identical and had no storyline.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote