HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Old Islander Photos

Old
05-13-2008, 11:45 PM
StreitUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to StreitUp
Old Islander Photos

I was recently digging through my parents basement and came across all my hockey memorabilia I collected from my college years. I though I would share a few pics of past Islanders I took.

Bryan Berard

Vladimir Malakhov

Darius Kaparaitis

Jamie McLennan

Eric Fichaud

Me & Benoit Hogue

Here's a recent one I took at my 1st visit to NVMC

StreitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:01 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

cool pics islandergirl! I love Benny Hogue!

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Strummergas

Benoit Hogue! Benoit Hogue! Ah, memories...

Great pics!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:51 AM
E_Godard

cool pics, ill see if I can dig any up later tonight.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Purple Tentacle

I'll play too.

These are from either September or October 1997.

Vladimir Orszagh, Zdeno Chara, Bryan Smolinski, and that's Todd Bertuzzi in the background.

Todd Bertuzzi and JP Dumount

The trainer (I forget his name...Rich?) and Bryan Berard and me (but I'm like 14 here).

Just the team at practice. #53 is Zdeno Chara.

This is from an old timers game I was at in October 96. I have pictures of me with Bob Nystrom and Gerry Hart to go with it but there's nothing special about them.

Purple Tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:52 AM
StreitUp

I'm feeling quite nostalgic so I'll add a couple of funny stories that go with the pictures. I used to occassionally take my younger brother to Sabre games (He actually is an Islander fan as well) and his favorite thing was to hang around after the game to "see what Mogilny was gonna do". Alexander Mogilny was a very grouchy person and my brother loved to stand around and see what rude things he was gonna say to the fans. (Quite entertaining) He always had his camera too. He actually might have taken the pictures of Malakhov & Kasparaitis.

I have a Vladimir Malakhov jersey and I really wanted to get it autograghed. So one time the Isles were in town I waited outside the old aud. He actually walked out with Mogilny. I was very shy so I had my then boyfriend approach him. He seemed shocked that somebody actually had a jersey with his name on it. He was really tall and I remember him bending way down to sign it. Meanwhile, Mogilny was impatiently waiting for his pal. He was actually standing in the middle of the streeet yelling "Come on! Let's go!" Vladimir looked up at him and told him to "shut up and wait!" Priceless

yet another Mogilny story...All the practices used to be open to the public in the old Aud in Buffalo. My friend I drove down to watch one when the Isles were in town. My friend I went with thought it would be funny to approach Mogilny and tell him that I was his "biggest fan ever" and could I have my picture taken with him? I wanted to throttle him. Funny thing was, Mogilny actually believed him and was really nice to me. Even though I was wearing my Islander jersey.

Ok, one more story then I swear I'll shut up...During my senior year at college, my roommate was doing an internship with the Buffalo Blizzard (indoor soccer team). I sometimes had to pick her up from the arena cause she didn't have a drivers license at the time. One time I got lucky and the Islanders were in town (Practices weren't open to the public in the new arena). I got my own private view of the team practicing. Anyways, after I was standing in a hall waiting for my friend when Hasek approached me. He was injured at the time and wasn't practicing just standing around talking to whoever was around. Let me explain that I NEVER liked Hasek. He had a really bad reputation in Buffalo. He's quite the pervert. Anyways, he came over to me and started saying things that made me feel really uncomfortable. I couldn't move anywhere cause I was pinned between the wall and a garbage can. I must have had a look of distress on my face cause Jamie McLennan came over and asked if I was ok while giving Hasek the death glare. Hasek just shrugged and walked away. He stayed and talked with me for a few min untill my friend came out.Jamie will forever be my hero for doing what he did that day!!!

Old
05-14-2008, 11:56 AM
StreitUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHpsycho View Post
I'll play too.

These are from either September or October 1997.

Vladimir Orszagh, Zdeno Chara, Bryan Smolinski, and that's Todd Bertuzzi in the background.

Todd Bertuzzi and JP Dumount

The trainer (I forget his name...Rich?) and Bryan Berard and me (but I'm like 14 here).

Just the team at practice. #53 is Zdeno Chara.

This is from an old timers game I was at in October 96. I have pictures of me with Bob Nystrom and Gerry Hart to go with it but there's nothing special about them.

Nice Pictures! I don't remember JP Dumont ever being an Islander! All I remember is being a Sabre and the announcer ,Rick Jeanerette, being obsessed with him.

Old
05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
OpAck

Wow, what a trip down memory lane!

I'll have to dig up that pic of me with Gerald Diduck when I get home.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 12:45 PM
StreitUp

I have one more Mogilny story I have to share: Maybe some people on this board remember these events taking place. I went to a Sabres/Whalers game sometime in 93 or 94. Ironically, the night before a few of the Whalers (including Pronger) were arrested at Jim Kelly's night club in downtown Buffalo for underage drinking. So that was exciting in itself. My dad's friend used to give me his season tickets all the time when he didn't go to games. They were really good seats. (Lower level near the corner) Anyways, I was sitting in those seats and there was a younger couple sitting in the seats in front of us. For some reason, they left in the middle of the game. A few minutes later these 2 guys sat down. We took notice cause they looked extremely out of place. They had slicked back, greasy hair and were wearing all leather. We watched them for a couple of minutes then quickly forgot about them and turned our attention back to the game. Immediately after the game ended, these 2 guys were arrested by the FBI! We had no idea why! The next evening, we were watching the news and there was a story how the Russian mafia was trying to threaten Mogilny into giving him money. They showed these 2 guys in a courtroom and they were the same 2 guys sitting in front of us the night before! Mogilny didn't play that night "due to having the flu". he was actually at home hiding from these goons. Nothing exciting like that happens to me anymore but I just seemed to have the knack for being in the right place at the right time back them.

Old
05-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGirl View Post
Nice Pictures! I don't remember JP Dumont ever being an Islander! All I remember is being a Sabre and the announcer ,Rick Jeanerette, being obsessed with him.
I'm assuming those pics with Dumont were exhibition games right after he was drafted. He never did play for the Isles in the regular season.

Also Chara always wore #3 in the reg season with the Isles instead of the #53 the pics show, just making me believe more that those had to be pre-season

Tom Liodice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I'm never one to look back, but seeing those pictures of Chara, Bertuzzi and Dumont in NYI's lockeroom (read: as part of NYI's organizational talent), and then to think of what transpired, makes me somewhat ill.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
letsgoisles89

i have huge collection of isles pics (most of which weren't taken by me, rather found somewhere on the internet), ill share some of my favorites cuz im home from school and really bored lol....

mick vukota taking care of adam graves

dont remember what year this was sent to season ticket holders...maybe some of you remember, just found it to be pretty funny

19 year old DP taking the ice for his NHL debut

billy harris taking the coliseum ice during the 72-73 season..(notice how he carries out his own backup sticks)

raising the first cup banner

some commercial ad (not sure what company) with bossy and gretzky from the early '80s. oh yeah, and that kid they're holding up...martin brodeur

letsgoisles89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Purple Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice View Post
I'm assuming those pics with Dumont were exhibition games right after he was drafted. He never did play for the Isles in the regular season.

Also Chara always wore #3 in the reg season with the Isles instead of the #53 the pics show, just making me believe more that those had to be pre-season
Well that's why I wrote it was either September or October. I don't think they'd do locker room tours prior to a regular season game anyway.

Though I'm pretty sure Chara wore 53 for the few games he played that year because I think Kenny Jonsson switched to #29 the following year.

Old
05-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Purple Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
dont remember what year this was sent to season ticket holders...maybe some of you remember, just found it to be pretty funny
I remember that being in the paper. There were a ton of ads like that that season. I still have them at my parents house, they were hilarious.

Old
05-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Potvins Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Benoit Hogue! Benoit Hogue! Ah, memories...

Great pics!
As Jiggs used to say..."Speedy" Benoit Hogue!!!!!

Potvins Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:25 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Bertuzzi, Chara and Dumont all hanging out in our locker room.

I'm really beginning to believe that Milbury was an idiot... I'm almost there...

Great pics by the way. Thanks for sharing.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
CrimsonBruin21

On a side note... it's kind of sad to the see pictures of the "young Berard".... thought the sky was the limit for that kid.... I never would have foreseen the career he's had and the issues he's battled through...

Can't take anything for granted in life... that's for sure.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
number22

I hope you guys don't think this is spam or anything... it's Islanders related, but I love this pics so much. If you have a flickr account, I am the admin for the Islanders photo group. Please join! ALL ARE WELCOME!!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/newyorkislanders/

number22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:35 PM
NY Dynasty
Greetings stranger!

Quote:
I'm feeling quite nostalgic so I'll add a couple of funny stories that go with the pictures. I used to occassionally take my younger brother to Sabre games (He actually is an Islander fan as well) and his favorite thing was to hang around after the game to "see what Mogilny was gonna do". Alexander Mogilny was a very grouchy person and my brother loved to stand around and see what rude things he was gonna say to the fans. (Quite entertaining) He always had his camera too. He actually might have taken the pictures of Malakhov & Kasparaitis.

I have a Vladimir Malakhov jersey and I really wanted to get it autograghed. So one time the Isles were in town I waited outside the old aud. He actually walked out with Mogilny. I was very shy so I had my then boyfriend approach him. He seemed shocked that somebody actually had a jersey with his name on it. He was really tall and I remember him bending way down to sign it. Meanwhile, Mogilny was impatiently waiting for his pal. He was actually standing in the middle of the streeet yelling "Come on! Let's go!" Vladimir looked up at him and told him to "shut up and wait!" Priceless

yet another Mogilny story...All the practices used to be open to the public in the old Aud in Buffalo. My friend I drove down to watch one when the Isles were in town. My friend I went with thought it would be funny to approach Mogilny and tell him that I was his "biggest fan ever" and could I have my picture taken with him? I wanted to throttle him. Funny thing was, Mogilny actually believed him and was really nice to me. Even though I was wearing my Islander jersey.

Ok, one more story then I swear I'll shut up...During my senior year at college, my roommate was doing an internship with the Buffalo Blizzard (indoor soccer team). I sometimes had to pick her up from the arena cause she didn't have a drivers license at the time. One time I got lucky and the Islanders were in town (Practices weren't open to the public in the new arena). I got my own private view of the team practicing. Anyways, after I was standing in a hall waiting for my friend when Hasek approached me. He was injured at the time and wasn't practicing just standing around talking to whoever was around. Let me explain that I NEVER liked Hasek. He had a really bad reputation in Buffalo. He's quite the pervert. Anyways, he came over to me and started saying things that made me feel really uncomfortable. I couldn't move anywhere cause I was pinned between the wall and a garbage can. I must have had a look of distress on my face cause Jamie McLennan came over and asked if I was ok while giving Hasek the death glare. Hasek just shrugged and walked away. He stayed and talked with me for a few min untill my friend came out.Jamie will forever be my hero for doing what he did that day!!!
I know Hasek doesn't have that great of a reputation but wow, thats really creepy.
Those are some great stories btw.

NY Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
BJo

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:03 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
some commercial ad (not sure what company) with bossy and gretzky from the early '80s. oh yeah, and that kid they're holding up...martin brodeur
wait really?!?!

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:08 PM
StreitUp

Here's a few more:

Me & Pat LaFontaine- Obviously, whoever took this picture didn't know how to use a camera

Pat Flatley

Derek King
Pierre Turgeon

In case you're wondering...Yes, I've always been nuts about Berard

Old
05-15-2008, 07:41 AM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Here's a few more:

Me & Pat LaFontaine- Obviously, whoever took this picture didn't know how to use a camera

Pat Flatley

Derek King
Pierre Turgeon

In case you're wondering...Yes, I've always been nuts about Berard
at that retro paisley sweater Pat LaFontaine is wearing. Oh, man.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:55 AM
StreitUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsIslesFan View Post
at that retro paisley sweater Pat LaFontaine is wearing. Oh, man.
The sweater I'm wearing is WAY worse. Extremely embarrassing!!

Old
05-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Purple Tentacle

Quote:
I just remembered Jamie has a mac site where he blogs and posts pictures so I thought I'd post it here in case you wanted to check out what your hero is up to now.

http://web.mac.com/gritster29/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html