HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Former Habs Players thread

Old
05-14-2008, 05:49 PM
ari1160

vCash: 500
i used to like Brian Savage ... he was pretty good as a 2nd line LW. saku savage and petrov line i think. i still remember how he broke his neck when the habs were playing the LA, cant remember who it was that hit him.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Pere Noel

This thread is so generic that it is useless.

Let me get this straight... so one day, if I see that someone posted in the thread... I should rush in to see if the topic is of interest (because, I really don't know what the new post is about... since it concerns one of the 200 hockey players).

The thread is only useful if I never ever want to hear about any ex-canadian player. In that case, I would never click to check the thread ; Which makes it a dump/wastebasket thread.

When moderators create thread like this... I sort of understand their behavior... I mean... there are too many thread... here's one way to merge a bunch of them...

But when you look at the result... on a user perspective... it makes no sense.

I am sorry... but if you come to think about a little bit more... the thread is useless for posters and readers.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post

Let me get this straight... so one day, if I see that someone posted in the thread... I should rush in to see if the topic is of interest (because, I really don't know what the new post is about... since it concerns one of the 200 hockey players).

The thread is only useful if I never ever want to hear about any ex-canadian player. In that case, I would never click to check the thread ; Which makes it a dump/wastebasket thread.

When moderators create thread like this... I sort of understand their behavior... I mean... there are too many thread... here's one way to merge a bunch of them...

I am sorry... but if you come to think about a little bit more... the thread is useless for posters and readers.

Well the alternative would be going to the Washington Board to discuss Huet's latest exploits....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:31 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:

and apparently it is useless enough to get you to post in it...

If all threads were this useless your post count would be pretty high by now...

And yes it is useless but then again aren't most threads depending on who's perspective you look from?

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
i used to like Brian Savage ... he was pretty good as a 2nd line LW. saku savage and petrov line i think. i still remember how he broke his neck when the habs were playing the LA, cant remember who it was that hit him.
Ian Laperierre I think.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Istvan

Quote:

Maybe. But are you having fun?

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
and apparently it is useless enough to get you to post in it...

If all threads were this useless your post count would be pretty high by now...

And yes it is useless but then again aren't most threads depending on who's perspective you look from?
You are missing the point. I pro-actively posted here, to stress that we shouldn't be condemned to have all ex players talk be merged into one melting pot thread.... which renders the exercise very difficult.

I would rather see say two posts like the following in different threads:
1-What is happening to juha lind?
2-Alex Perezhogin doing great in Russia
3-Is Quintal still in NHL shape? Should he come back?
than
Ex-player thread all talk here...

Doing so... Readers have the option to say...

Hum... like skips the Juha Lind thread... and the Quintal one... But hey, some good news about Perezhogin... he could still come back to the line up blah blah blah.

Old
05-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Well the alternative would be going to the Washington Board to discuss Huet's latest exploits....
The real alternative is to leave different threads as standalone thread within the same Montreal board... The real alternative is to leave things as they are...

No need for a stick out tongue since your point was off... Beside, as a stated moderator... was that proper?

Old
05-15-2008, 12:23 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
but no Jim Campbell talk.
Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins, Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard, and Alex Buturlin. My mid- to late nineties ulcer is acting up again. Peanut Houle

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
You are missing the point. I pro-actively posted here, to stress that we shouldn't be condemned to have all ex players talk be merged into one melting pot thread.... which renders the exercise very difficult.

I would rather see say two posts like the following in different threads:
1-What is happening to juha lind?
2-Alex Perezhogin doing great in Russia
3-Is Quintal still in NHL shape? Should he come back?
than
Ex-player thread all talk here...

Doing so... Readers have the option to say...

Hum... like skips the Juha Lind thread... and the Quintal one... But hey, some good news about Perezhogin... he could still come back to the line up blah blah blah.
Perezhogin has always been considered different than the others because we still own his rights.... as long as that is true, he is not truly an ex-player in the same way that the other guys are.

Old
05-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Perezhogin has always been considered different than the others because we still own his rights.... as long as that is true, he is not truly an ex-player in the same way that the other guys are.
That's completely beside the point.

You can replace the example with another one if that helps you out.

Say: -Should Montreal welcome back Huet? A reader may be interested in clicking that one, yet, not look at the Quintal one.
Having a common thread for Huet and Quintal and all others, forces the reader to go through the thread every single time it is updated... or ignore it all along, and miss topics he would have been interested in.

Whereas, having different threads... gives the easy option to jump in or not.

Again, the point is: merging multiple threads just because there is some sort of similarity, does not mean it is a great idea; It, on a reader perspective, does not always make it easier to read through, and select topics to read.

I am all for merging threads like A) Should Huet come back, and B) Should we sign Huet... as it really is the exact same topic. But not mixing up all ex-players in one.

Old
05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Beakermania*

The problem is certain ex-players (cough ribeiro, huet, theo, etc....) often get a lot of threads around here.... Some people find that a good thing like yourself.... others often say (these guys aren't habs anymore, why are we always talking about them?).... Its a catch-22 where you can't please all the people all the time but we can do the same thing we did with the trade deadline rumors and have a vote on it.... I'll go do that.