HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dane Byers replacing Hollweg

Old
05-14-2008, 08:22 PM
NewYork4life

vCash: 500
Dane Byers replacing Hollweg

I think Dane Byers has a great chance of replacing Hollweg. Byers has had 2 very consistant season proving that he can score, sit in front of the net and get banged around, fight when he needs to and he is young and has matured into what I think is an NHL player. I'm not saying he should be 1st or 2nd line but I think he deserves to play in New York next season. What are your thoughts on this?

NewYork4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:25 PM
HenriksBetter

Does he take stupid boarding penalties? If he doesn't, sign him up.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Celestial Black

I can only hope. The only time I want to see Hollweg is when they do silly interviews with him, Struds, and Staal playing rockband...he should pursue that career instead.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
I'd take any bum off the street over Hollweg right now. I haven't seen much of him but if he can park it in front of the net and take a beating then I'm all for it.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

You got my hopes up, I thought this actually happened and Hollweg was traded/waived. As you can see, I fully support a Byers-Betts-Sjostrom 4th line next season, with Orr in there when necessary.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
beastly115

At this point, I'd take anyone over Hollweg. Hollweg should be packed up in a bag and shipped to Siberia.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I think 90% of Ranger fans are eagerly awaiting this..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:30 PM
blandBob

I would really be interested in hearing from Tom Renney what his thoughts on Hollweg are. Seriously, I would be interested in Tom saying what Hollweg's strengths are. His existance on the team was a mystery to me, so although I have never seen Dane Byers, pretty sure he will be an improvement if it is in direct comparison to Hollweg. Hollweg is one of the wierdest cats in the NHL, hard to figure him out, and hope I can stop trying next season.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I'd be surprised if Hollweg sees a regular shift next season. He is a great team guy, has been through a lot to get to where he is, but the bottom line is we have better players than him waiting in the wings.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
NYR Viper

i hope so!! byers can fight. score and is above average in front of the net....and actually has some upside....i say give him some time

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:01 AM
The Thomas J.*

Hollwegs career wil most likely end once the Rangers release him.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i hope so!! byers can fight. score and is above average in front of the net....and actually has some upside....i say give him some time

Byers does fight...but realistically he isn't a much better fighter than Hollweg is. He might be a little bigger, and maybe just a little better in the fisticuff department.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Ovens

From what I've seen in Hartford he'll be the ideal replacement, he will absolutely be an upgrade on Holly, he's tough and does'nt back down from anyone, he gets a lot of garbage goals as he goes to the net and is tough to move out of the way, and whilst he probably won't get huge points totals at the NHL level he'll get more than provided by the present incumbent.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Isn't the knock on Byers that he relies heavily on his size and strength to sit in front, win the battles in front, and get the rebound, BUT that his size and strength may not translate to the NHL where guys are bigger and stronger, so his style of play may be hurt by that?

However, physical strength is something that can be increased through hard work off the ice.

If he can make that transition, I'm all for it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Beyers is not a fighter. He is a guy that fights. He is more of a banger with upgraded hands over Hollweg. I really look foward to the kid coming in to MSG but I don't want people thinking he is his uncle

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:54 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I don't know about that. Some NHL teams may pick him up, probably not very deep, soft teams. He's def. has a career in the AHL.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Maybe the Wild will pick him up so he can be on a line with Simon.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
ogie

it still amazes me that we let Ortmeyer walk but Hollweg is still on the team, and not dancing on the street for loose change.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Fletch

Dane would be interesting...

I just don't know if he brings the energy to the fourth line that Hollweg brings, or if he's really that much of a better fighter. He's taller, but I actually think he weighs less as Hollweg's pretty stocky and strong. He does sit in front of the net in HFD, but that won't be his job in the NHL - it'll be to grind it out and win battles, and hopefully he gains the strength to be able to do that. And from what I remember, he's had his share of bonehead moments too.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
NewYork4life

[QUOTE=Fletch;14117386]I just don't know if he brings the energy to the fourth line that Hollweg brings, or if he's really that much of a better fighter. He's taller, but I actually think he weighs less as Hollweg's pretty stocky and strong. He does sit in front of the net in HFD, but that won't be his job in the NHL - it'll be to grind it out and win battles, and hopefully he gains the strength to be able to do that. And from what I remember, he's had his share of bonehead moments too.[/QUOTE

Have you been to a Wolfpack game?Eveytime Byers is on the ice the energy goes way up. Byers creates energy by finishing his checks and getting the garbage goals. Look when Cally got sent down the energy that they created. Byers kept the energy when Cally left. Byers has had his bonehead moments but not as many as Hollweg and I don't ever remember Byers taking a stupid boarding call that ended up making his team lose out in the playoffs.

NewYork4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Fletch

Been to one?

know - watched plenty, as well as watched him in NY briefly. Hollweg's like a missile - I haven't seen as much of that from Byers. I happen to like Byers a lot - I was very impressed with how his game progessed in his first AHL season, and how he progressed each season after being drafted. Thought he started out slow last year but if I remember correctly, seemed to play better towards the end of the season. My issue has always been will his game need to change at all in the NHL since he effectively has a similar frame to Petr Nedved (or Alexandre Giroux, for a better comparison as Giroux was successful with that frame in the AHL, but it didn't translate will to the NHL). I do think Byers has better hands than Hollweg and has the potential to score more, so that's definitely a plus.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:58 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
know - watched plenty, as well as watched him in NY briefly. Hollweg's like a missile - I haven't seen as much of that from Byers. I happen to like Byers a lot - I was very impressed with how his game progessed in his first AHL season, and how he progressed each season after being drafted. Thought he started out slow last year but if I remember correctly, seemed to play better towards the end of the season. My issue has always been will his game need to change at all in the NHL since he effectively has a similar frame to Petr Nedved (or Alexandre Giroux, for a better comparison as Giroux was successful with that frame in the AHL, but it didn't translate will to the NHL). I do think Byers has better hands than Hollweg and has the potential to score more, so that's definitely a plus.
id rather have jeff toms than hollweg and we all know how much we liked him

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:14 PM
eco's bones

From what I understand Byers has filled out his frame better than Giroux. What we have in Byers may be a David Clarkson clone. When we got Giroux from Ottawa he already had 2 or 3 AHL seasons. He was around 25 and still too skinny when we finally got rid of him. Byers is still only like 21. Giroux's game in the AHL was to be a top line goalscorer--Byer's game is as a mucker, someone who gets the dirty goals. My major concern with Dane is his skating pace--this is where I think Hollweg may have an advantage. I think Byers will be gritty enough in the corners and the traffic areas and he seems to have pretty good hands and scores mostly in close. I also expect he'll have no problem fighting but he's not anywhere near the answer for a legit heavyweight. I'd expect him to take his share of dumb penalties. All in all I think he has a pretty good chance of making the team next year. If it comes down to a battle between Hollweg and Byers for the final roster spot--the tradeoff may be Hollweg's hard forechecking kamikaze style (with the occasional boarding major) vs. an equally hard nosed less effective forechecker who has a more complete game and may occasionally knock in a few goals.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
My issue has always been will his game need to change at all in the NHL since he effectively has a similar frame to Petr Nedved (or Alexandre Giroux, for a better comparison as Giroux was successful with that frame in the AHL, but it didn't translate will to the NHL). I do think Byers has better hands than Hollweg and has the potential to score more, so that's definitely a plus.
I've rebutted this argument before, but I'll do it again. Byers does not have the frame of either Nedved or Giroux. He has a very solid build, regardless of what the Rangers web site says he weighs. Maybe this doesn't come across when watching on the internet, but it's readily apparent when you see him on the ice or in person. These comparisons to Nedved/Giroux are completely unfounded.

And while I've yet to see him in a fight in the NHL, I can pretty much guarantee he's a better fighter than Hollweg. He'll never be an NHL heavyweight, but he'll more than hold his own. Say what you want about the AHL, there are guys that make their living there as goons and Byers took on all comers this season. And from about December on, he didn't lose a bout. In fact, by the end of the season, he wasn't just winning, but buckling guys' knees on a regular basis.

As for boneheaded moments, he's a had a couple, including the incident that some here wanted to skewer him for this season when he broke a guy's nose with his first punch, but didn't realize and continued to go after the guy when he turtled. But I expect some would be surprised to know that Korpikoski actually picked up more non-fighting majors (and a suspension of his own) this season for dangerous, boneheaded plays (boarding, x-checking). In my opinion, they both get the benefit if the doubt because of their age and lack of experience. After three years of experience in the NHL, Hollweg no longer does.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Chief

I've not seen much of Byers this season but I never got the feeling he would be much more than an emergency call up. Hope I'm wrong. Korpedo and Moore are ahead of Byers for a slot on next season's team.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote