HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semi OT - Datsyuk/Wings/Puck Possession game

Old
05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Semi OT - Datsyuk/Wings/Puck Possession game

A few things Ive noticed in watching some of these Wings games here recently:

We have a similar group of talent. Good skaters, good passers... we could play that style of game, and likely we should... but why dont we? Are our Dmen not good enough with the puck? Renney keeps with his trap-styled scheme instead?

Datsyuk is, and has been, amazing. I was one of the ones who called for us to go after him, but I think most disagreed. He'd be an improvement, thats for sure... and thats not to say I have an issue with Drury or Gomez... but....

Its just crazy... that team's got their stuff down. The grinders park in front of the net... the D plays a heads up game, they drive the net... they're hyper aware.

So where do the Rangers need to make improvements to be a more efficient team next year? I'd say to borrow some Red Wings' ideas

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Datsyuk never got to free agency, so he was never available. but I agree, he was unestimated by many, including me. he's clearly more than a few steps above Gomez, Drury and Briere.

and you kind of brushed on a point that I thought was a big factor against Pittsburgh: they were a lot better at holding onto the puck. our forwards, especially some of the top ones like Jagr, Shanahan, and Avery turn the puck over a ton. so I think it's a personnel issue.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

One major difference is that Detroit has two of the best puck moving defensemen in the league. Which is a understatement considering one of them is Lidstom.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:14 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
One major difference is that Detroit has two of the best puck moving defensemen in the league. Which is a understatement considering one of them is Lidstom.
that's the key. when lidstrom is out the puck-possession system doesn't look so great.

fortunately, lidstrom has only missed about 15 games with injury in his career.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 02:19 AM
NYR Viper

yea...its the defence....the rangers defence isnt very good individually, whereas detroits is lidstrom, rafalski, chelios, stuart, etc...there forwards are very quick and control the puck well and each player goes to the net which in turn allows for more space around the attacking zone for everyone as the defence collapses.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 04:13 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Defenitly, but a big portion of it also is tactical.

Detroit dumps the puck in from time to time -- but they try to skate the puck over the attacking blueline more then any other team. I think thats the only aspect were they really are unique. They probably dump the puck in 1/10th compared to other teams.

Also Detroit in principle traps more then we do -- it got nothing to do with that. Since they are so good it seems like they trap less, but tactically they are defenitly backing down a tad more then us when they loose the puck. Its what they do with the puck thats the diffrence.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
A few things Ive noticed in watching some of these Wings games here recently:

We have a similar group of talent. Good skaters, good passers... we could play that style of game, and likely we should... but why dont we? Are our Dmen not good enough with the puck? Renney keeps with his trap-styled scheme instead?

Datsyuk is, and has been, amazing. I was one of the ones who called for us to go after him, but I think most disagreed. He'd be an improvement, thats for sure... and thats not to say I have an issue with Drury or Gomez... but....

Its just crazy... that team's got their stuff down. The grinders park in front of the net... the D plays a heads up game, they drive the net... they're hyper aware.

So where do the Rangers need to make improvements to be a more efficient team next year? I'd say to borrow some Red Wings' ideas
We don't have the talent Detroit have. Their best players are way ahead of our best (with the exception of Jagr) and we just don't have good enough players to play like they do.

Can you imagine our defense even trying to keep possession? Malik is one of our best passers in d and whenever he misplaced one there was fury. If they were all trying to play that game it could be a disaster.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

I think what Detroit has is something special. The only other team that has the talent to play such a dominating game like that is Pitt, and they're not near that level.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Sockosensei

Remember the "experts" who preseason figured this would be the year Detroit collapsed? Ha!
Detroit's the class of the NHL.

I wish we could play that style, but our passing is nowhere close to theirs.
I remember watching their powerplay during one season game -- every pass was HARD and tape to tape. They moved the puck with so much confidence. Then I turned back to the Rangers and we couldn't even make 3 passes in a row without passing it into a guy's skates.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 09:38 PM
blandBob

Detroit is a very unique franchise. I am always freaked out by how good their players are, how good their system is, how good their team concept is. It just seems like they are in a parallel universe, they just seem to get everything right. How is it they end up with Osgoode and what's his name as goalies? They look like they know what to do, while everyone else is experimenting and gambling.

Edit: notice how once Detroit got Chelios, they never even considered letting him walk? We had Zubov, and what did we do? (and notice how Dallas does not trade Zubov off on some crazy trade gamble). Why would anyone trade Zubov? This alone, only one of many examples, tells you something about what makes some teams different from the Rangers, but hopefully that has changed.

Last edited by blandBob: 05-14-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: embellishment and fortification
blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote