HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Andrei kostitsyn contract

Old
05-14-2008, 10:00 PM
habsfan89

vCash: 500
Andrei kostitsyn contract

If it's true that Ak bars Kazan made him a 4 million offer would you be ready to give Andrei a crazy contract a bit a la Mike Richards maybe 6 years 4.5 million per year?

habsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:05 PM
SpreeEndaz

phailed

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Iwishihadacup

he would be the most paided player in russia, no way it happens

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:29 PM
JFB

LOL, $4.5M for Andrei Kostitsyn

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan89 View Post
If it's true that Ak bars Kazan made him a 4 million offer would you be ready to give Andrei a crazy contract a bit a la Mike Richards maybe 6 years 4.5 million per year?
Kazan denied the rumor in Komsomol Truth: http://www.kazan.kp.ru/daily/24091/322009/

Rough translation:

"Andrei Kostitsyn will compete with captain of "Ak panther" Morozov?

Natalie Lambotskaya – 04.05.2008

Only during May "Ak panther" management will be able to declare, who will become the new players of the team. But the sport pages even now woo to us Belorusian star - Andrei Kostitsyn.

Moreover, there is news, that our club would be ready to pay wages of 4 Million Dollars for the season to the new player.

- I heard this news, reported the "Ak Bars" press-attaché Marat Farkheyev. - this is complete nonsense. We did not even consider Kostitsyn as a candidate for next season. And from what we know it is generally considered absurd that Andrei would come to Russia.

Although, as assures site championat.ru, the club Canadiens gave him "in all" $612 000. Kazan was said to propose a greater sum - 4 million $?

-Do we generally give that much money to a new player? Our club have to respect the new salary cap for next season. It will be substantially lower.

So we cannot offer such high wages. But who precisely will come with us next season ?

-You will know later in May, just follow the news."

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 05-15-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:31 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
Erat just got it.... Don't laugh. Kostitsyn > Erat.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:

Thanks for your always well thought out and valued contributions...

Old
05-14-2008, 10:34 PM
JFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Erat just got it.... Don't laugh. Kostitsyn > Erat.
W T F ?

Erat is 10 times more proven than AKost. Open your eyes. Damn. Only in Montreal

Old
05-14-2008, 10:37 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
W T F ?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
W T F ?

Proven at what?

In Andrei's first full year he scored more goals than Erat has at any point in his career. But let us all bow down to Erat...

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I don't think that the offer in Russia is true,just someone that started crap.

I have no problem signing guys like the Kostitsyn brothers,Komi,Higgins,Pleky to long term contracts 5-6 years.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 10:45 PM
JFB

Erat has 250+ points in his career and he plays a good 2-way game.

Can't believe I'm arguing on a $4.5M contract to Andrei Kostistyn

How about a 10-year, $30M to Josh Georges. He had a good half-season, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Yes and Chris Chelios has almost 1000 points. If I had to choose, would I offer him the big multi-year contract to Chelios or to Mike Green who's had only one good season?
I love your good faith, Erikkk.

But please, this is the NHL, not a fantasy league. You have to earn your big bucks, and a solid second-half do not give rise to a $4.5M contract. Like it or not.

Oh, and weak argument on Chelios. The guy is 50 years old. Nice try though.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 05-15-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old
05-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
I love your good faith, Erikkk.

But please, this is the NHL, not a fantasy league. You have to earn your big bucks, and a solid second-half do not give rise to a $4.5M contract. Like it or not.

Oh, and weak argument on Chelios. The guy is 50 years old. Nice try though.
Thanks for the compliment... I just thought you could also make an effort to find better arguments than comparing point totals with 2 players with a 4 year age difference.

Old
05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

No way the Habs offer him anything close to that.....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
guest1467

I fail to see how a player can go from a entry level contract to 4 million+, its not happening. I think 2.5 million is a good value for Andrei, he still has a lot to prove. Don't forget that he played the whole year with Plekanec and Kovalev on the first line, a lot of players could get similar stats with that scenario. 2 years 2.5 each seems fair to me, which takes him to still RFA status for his next contract, maybe throw in a bonus concerned with performance to entice him.

BTW, to the poster before me, Sergei is signed for another two years.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:59 PM
peperebougon*

Andrei will stay and his bro too. They play on the first and second line at a very young age on the most famous hockey team on planet earth. They know they will get the money anyway...So why risk that only to cash a year or 2 earlier??? They would have made all the sacrifices and hard work only to play one year here???? That makes no sense. Don't give me the *he will play nearer his family etc... Because they left TO PLAY IN THE NHL. AND THEY ARE IN THE TOP SIX OF THE FIRST SEED IN THE EAST.

Stop panicking with rfa offer sheets and offers from foreign leagues. How many impact players actually left or signed the offer sheet AND changed teams??? Not that much.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Noldo

Actually, deciding right contract for A.Kost could be quite difficult question for the management this summer.

After all there are following factors drawing to different diretions:
- Long term contract (4+ years) most likely requires paying for potential, 3,5+ cap hit
- A.Kost has great potential -> Sign him long term to get him cheaper (on yearly basis)
- A.Kost has have single good season (last season) -> Sign him short term and allow/make him prove his wort before getting bigger contract
- Three years untill he is UFA -> 2 year contract team would have better leverage in negotiations of his next deal
- S.Kost is signed for 2 more years -> 2 year contract would cause both Kosts to be RFAs same year
- Markov and Hamrlik are off the books after 2010/11 season -> More cap space to pay in season 2011/12 -> could be good time to start paying big money to A.Kost

There are risk associated with each possibility and it will be quite intresting to see which direction the management chooses (long term approach vs. short term approach).

Last edited by Noldo: 05-15-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:12 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
Actually, deciding right contract for A.Kost could be quite difficult question for the management this summer.

After all there are following factors drawing to different diretions:
- Long term contract (4+ years) most likely requires paying for potential, 3,5+ cap it
- A.Kost has great potential -> Sign him long term to get him cheaper (on yearly basis)
- A.Kost has have single good season (last season) -> Sign him short term and allow/make him prove his wort before getting bigger contract
- Three years untill he is UFA -> 2 year contract team would have better leverage in negotiations of his next deal
- S.Kost is signed for 2 more years -> 2 year contract would cause both Kosts to be RFAs same year
- Markov and Hamrlik are off the books after 2010/11 season -> More cap space to pay in season 2011/12 -> could be good time to start paying big money to A.Kost

There are risk associated with each possibility and it will be quite intresting to see which direction the management chooses (long term approach vs. short term approach).
Very good scenarios. I think Gainey will go short term, for a couple of reasons:

a) Gainey has opted to go with short-term contracts to prospects and most players in the past. He has only given out a few four years, and they have been to core players for the most part.
b) Andrei has only played one full season, I think Gainey likes to evaluate his players on a year by year process andthen award the contract he deems fit.
c) A two year deal would still put Andrei in RFA status, which would make his next contract, if there is one, much easier to make.

Now that's not to say that Gainey might not go with a longer deal if he can get a cheaper rate. Kostitsyn's agent will probably push for longer than two years.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:06 AM
crystal ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Very good scenarios. I think Gainey will go short term, for a couple of reasons:

a) Gainey has opted to go with short-term contracts to prospects and most players in the past. He has only given out a few four years, and they have been to core players for the most part.
b) Andrei has only played one full season, I think Gainey likes to evaluate his players on a year by year process andthen award the contract he deems fit.
c) A two year deal would still put Andrei in RFA status, which would make his next contract, if there is one, much easier to make.

Now that's not to say that Gainey might not go with a longer deal if he can get a cheaper rate. Kostitsyn's agent will probably push for longer than two years.
I agree with that, and I'd add that the core players who got longer deals were all UFAs. RFAs like Pleks, Komo and Higgins are core, but all got two-year deals for nice, but not outrageous money. I'd expect Gainey to come through with a similar deal for Kostitsyn, since he doesn't want to create a gap between him and the other young players who've contributed as much or more to the team. It may come back to bite him later if AKost comes out with forty goals in the next two years, but if he hovers around thirty, he'll still be affordable as an UFA.

I think Gainey has a contract heirarchy, and the risk of outside offers, either in the form of offer sheets or European deals, doesn't scare him. You get the four-year deal if you're an UFA, the two-year deal if you're RFA and the one-year "I don't believe in you" special if you're Ryder.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:09 AM
crystal ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post

Although, as assures site championat.ru, the club Canadiens gave him "in all" $612 000. Kazan was said to propose a greater sum - 4 million $?

-Do we generally give that much money to a new player? Our club have to respect the new salary cap for next season. It will be substantially lower.

So we cannot offer such high wages. But who precisely will come with us next season ?

-You will know later in May, just follow the news."[/I]
I didn't know the RSL had introduced a salary cap. That's really interesting.

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:25 AM
Masao

Didn't Brisebois get 4 million at some point?

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
I didn't know the RSL had introduced a salary cap. That's really interesting.
It's not the RSL anymore, but the new Kontinental Hockey League, supposedly, with a host of new rules including the cap. But I will still be somewhat surprised if certain teams don't have ways of making under-the-table payments to circumnavigate the cap, should they really desire to.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
Didn't Brisebois get 4 million at some point?
Totally different situation, since Brisebois signed that contract in his UFA year.

I'd offer Kostitsyn a similar contract to what Plekanec and Higgins signed last year. A 2 year deal at about 1.8 per. There's no rush to sign him long term yet.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

There isn't really a track record for Gainey handing out the really big long-term deals with future tradeoffs. So I don't see how anybody could predict that coming for Kostitsyn. Although there's a first for everything.

More likely, I think Kostitsyn has probably only really earned something like the latest Plekanec/Higgins/Komisarek contracts, 2-year bridges until he gets a bit closer to unrestricted free agency, something under $2M per until he proves himself over more than just 1 season. With inflation, maybe with offer sheets introducing a new x-factor, maybe he gets more on such a bridge than those guys did, even if I don't think he necessarily has earned more than they did.

So ideally, I sign him him to a 2-year deal for $3-4M total. Then his big payday will come after that one. And if he's not in favour of following the Higgins/Pleks/Komi blueprint, then you can indeed put him on the Ryder path instead, with a higher $3M-ish 1-year deal and arbitration opportunities to come. The time has not come yet to be talking about the big $4M+ or long-term deals.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
W T F ?

How ?

Erat = 0.62 PPG
Kostitsyn = 0.59 PPG

Erat never had more than 57 points in a season and has been in the league for 6 years. Kostitsyn had 53 points in his first full year in the league and his 4 years younger than Erat so it's fair to assume that he will be better in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
So ideally, I sign him him to a 2-year deal for $3-4M total. Then his big payday will come after that one. And if he's not in favour of following the Higgins/Pleks/Komi blueprint, then you can indeed put him on the Ryder path instead, with a higher $3M-ish 1-year deal and arbitration opportunities to come. The time has not come yet to be talking about the big $4M+ or long-term deals.
That would be perfect.

However for some reason i see Kosti getting a contract similar to Dustin Brown.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote