HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wich Rookie Do You Want To See With The Habs Next Season?

Old
05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
MacHabs93

vCash: 500
1-Chipchura

2-D'Agostini or Stewart, depending on whether we sign a 4th liner or a scorer.

MacHabs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:02 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderAllNight View Post
I'm hoping Chipchura... outside of him, maybe Stewart to serve some fourth line duties.

Depending on Pacioretty's camp I might want to see him step into a bigger role this season. That could be something as simple as doing well int he AHL or as big as coming up to the big leagues for a cup of coffee.

A bit off topic, but a sophomore I want to see more of is Ryan O'Byrne. He's got a huge frame, good outlet pass, and he seems defensivly aware. Hopefully next season he sticks because he's a komisarek junior!
Pacioretty won't be at camp unless he pays his own way.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Sthabs

I ll go with Chip and Tank (considering Obyrne s in)
It s gonna be pretty hard to fit Valentenko on D with #79 #8 #44, + Gorges might get a chance at #4 or put him back with Bouillon + maybe Brisebois and O byrne waiting, then Streit maybe (altho it s clear for me that his place is not on D exept on the pp), then at forward...it s gonna be tight for him too.
I prefer Bouillon to Streit for almost everything that has to do with the defensive part of the game.
I think Streit will ask too much for what we need him for, but I still hope we sign him.

I still hope Valentenko plays something like 20-30 games this season, maybe more maybe less depending on how he s adjusting.

Chip, the way I see it, started strong with us last year, but then as the games went on he had a bit more troubles and was trying to adjust too much, changing his game, i think that s why he got sent back so he can work more on his defensive part of the game, i think it was clear he wasnt ready for the, 3rd line C playin vs the best lines role yet.
I hope he does it this year.

Cant see where you fit Stewart yet but I also hope he plays more than just a few games this year

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

Can he go to the other camp though, the one for rookies/prospects?

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Sthabs

Not if he still in the Ncaa I think

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Garo

Chipchura, to replace Lapierre.

Would like to see Weber getting a look, but I doubt it.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:45 AM
peperebougon*

We should only give one spot to a forward and sign UFAs. No need to rush them if we can get quality players. We need some vets guys. If we cannot get someone that would really help the team, the let the prospects flow in. We have to at least try to get at least one or 2 of the best guys available out there (each in their own role)... We will someday land a great player or at least a very good one.

If we cannot....

Chipchura is the one I'd like to make it. Maybe D'agostini and Stewart.Grabo should have a real chance and play the whole season. Why are you all guys so high on Valentenko. I've not seen him play is he really NHL ready???? I think he'd be better playing more minutes in the AHL. We still have to blend in O'byrne. Not too many rookies on D please. They are not all Marc Stalls, Dion Phaneufs and cie... Valentenko is pretty young and not that skilled. Let the kid develop.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Slick Nick

Even though I like Chipchura.... I would like to see a bigger and faster C pivoting our third line. I can live with Chips replacing Lapierre anytime though.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:33 AM
MRocketR

Chipchura and Valentenko.

Valentenko will probably start in Hamilton again and get a few call-ups.

MRocketR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:37 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I don't think any of them are ready yet. Maybe Chipchura, but his inability to win faceoffs leaves a lot to be desired.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Handlanger

Chipchura and Weber.

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:31 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Chipchura is the only one of those that I see making the team and spending the year with the Habs. And if I have to pick another kid to spend the year with the team, well *excitable hockey pundit on draft day voice* I'm GOING OFF THE BOARD with this one! (sorry about that)

I'd like to see Grabovski spend the year with the team, get him some games and see if we have an asset that we can use either on the ice or in a trade. He showed some good things at the end of last year, but didn't play in the playoffs. Not suited to that style of hockey seems to be the consensus reasoning. So at the start of the regular season, no reason (yet) not to play him. Of course, we'd need to sign him and it depends who else is brought into the team. But unless major changes happen, I'd like to see him get a good run of games and see what he does.

From the others, I've seen very little of Pacioretty so I won't comment. Valentenko could see some time and is the most ready D prospect IMO, but starting the season with the Habs is questionable. More on him below. Carle isn't ready IMO. Seems good in the offensive zone, can make some nice rushes, but gets pushed around a bit too much, makes too many mistakes around his own zone and needs to develop consistency in his game. With the competition between D-men we have and with Tank being above him right now (again, IMO) I can't see Carle being more than an occasional call-up at best this year, unless bad things happen.

Up front, it's hard to judge between the last two. I think between D'Agostini and Stewart, the latter would be able to play his game more effectively out of the gate. D'Agostini would need more time to find his game at the NHL level I think. If we can afford to give a rookie that kind of time to develop in our top 9, then he could get the nod. Otherwise, Stewart could fill in quite well on the 4th and bump (probably) Latendresse up into more of a scoring role. Again, depending who we bring in. Both of them could stand to spend a little more time in Hamilton though. Hopefully, D'Agostini wouldn't need a full year down there though.

So Chipchura and Grabovski would be my choices. My next choice would depend on the situation we find ourselves in once people are signed and camp starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
Kyle Chipchura has to be with the team next season dont know why he got send down to begin with.
and the other one would be Matt D'Agostini. he had the hardest shot this year with the dogs. 102 mph i think. we could use his shot in our power play. Pavel Valentenko is pretty good player to and he might be ready for nhl. i was very impress with his play this season with the dogs.
Close, he hit 101mph. Valentenko actually had the hardest shot with 102.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Chipchura is the one I'd like to make it. Maybe D'agostini and Stewart.Grabo should have a real chance and play the whole season. Why are you all guys so high on Valentenko. I've not seen him play is he really NHL ready???? I think he'd be better playing more minutes in the AHL. We still have to blend in O'byrne. Not too many rookies on D please. They are not all Marc Stalls, Dion Phaneufs and cie... Valentenko is pretty young and not that skilled. Let the kid develop.
You really haven't seen him play, have you?

Pavel isn't a skilled guy in the same way a guy like Markov is. His passes aren't laser guide to a teammates blade halfway up the rink. His shot could use a little accuracy work. Sometimes he has to focus more on playing positionally, although he really picked that up through the year. But this kid has some pretty good skills and attributes that could help our team.

He has good size and strength and doesn't mind using them to his advantage. He skates well. He doesn't have the afterburners a guy like Grabovski has, but he has (what appears to me to be) a good stride, he is strong on his skates, fairly agile, decent speed. He also seemed to be getting more confident carrying the puck up ice as the season went on. His passing from the back varies, a few mistakes can creep in there, although he can make some very nice passes. But in the offensive zone, especially on the PP, he showed he could make some great passes. Not regularly, but he has potential in that regard. He has a slapshot as hard as Andrei Kostitsyn, although doesn't have the same release. He can also make some very good plays defensively thanks to a combination of his skills/attributes. And he has a willingness to work hard and take one for the team, blocking shots, the occasional fight (although he isn't really a fighter), big checks.

Is he ready to step into the NHL right away? Well, it'll be hard for him. As other have mentioned, there is plenty of competition for a spot on D with the Habs. It also depends on how he shows up at camp. Chances are, he will start the year in Hamilton. But if he turns up playing like he did at his best last year, or maybe even better, then he could be one of the final cuts from camp and may even force management to keep him around for the start of the season to see how he does. If he plays this year like he did the 2nd half of last year, he will most likely see some time with the Habs.

Valentenko isn't a stand-out D prospect like McDonagh, projected to do big things. But he is a good all-around hockey player. He has skills that translate to virtually every area of the game: skating, puck skills, physical play, shooting and can at times make intelligent plays by reading the game (although as a kid, he does make some mistakes too). He has shown a strong desire to improve his game in his one year with the Dogs and he is a Habs fan - he has plenty of motivation there. He may not be quite ready yet, but he isn't far away. He's the closest of the D prospects I've seen to making the switch. If he keeps developing, he could be a 2nd pairing guy in the not too distant future (IMO).

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:47 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Max Pac and Emelin(if he is a choice not mentioned), if not Emelin then Valentenko.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:53 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Chipchura > Smoke
Valentenko > Brisebois
Ryder > UFA
Stewart > Dandenault

Streit we don't know yet?

I don't think D'Agostini will have the chance to make it and I also expect Max Pac to play another year in the NCAA
i'm not so sure about that one

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:35 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Plus normally the NCAA season is started by then.

MaxPac will have to sign a contract to be at camp, the ball is in his camp since the habs are interested.

Imo Chipchura is already in the team, Smolinski was just a patch signing to give Chip 1 more year.

Last edited by SOLR: 05-15-2008 at 06:43 AM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Valentenko, Stewart and Chipper.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Chipchura is the only one of those listed who I think should be with the Habs. The others still have something left to do elsewhere first. Maybe some of them will get cameo callups and whatnot, or maybe after starting in the AHL they will prove they've made big strides and subsequently warrant permanent recalls, but straight out of camp, it's only Chipchura.

I'd also prefer to see Grabovski stick around with the Habs for another year, if possible. Granted, he probably has to start in a spare forward role, and just try to earn his way into a more prominent one if injuries strike in the top-6. But I'd rather see that, take that chance, than have the asset squandered.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Lachenaie

Like pretty much everyone said, Chipchura would be a good guess, and, even though I haven't seen anything from Valentenko, i'll also go with the flow.

Now, for next year, I'd really like to try Higgins centering a line. But, for now, let's not change anything, except placing Chipchura in the lineup and thinking, Dandy, Ryder & Smolinski are out.

Therefore :
A.Kost - Pleky - Kovy
Latendresse - Koivu - Streit
Higgins - Grabovski - S.Kost
Lapierre - Chipchura - Kostopoulos

extra : Bégin

There is no doubt we need a winger to replace Streit or to cut Grabov from the lineup and put Higgins at center. I wouldn't mind to see Streit with Koivu on a regular basis. So, there would be a left winger spot on the Higgins line. Anyone agree with me that having, Pleky - Koivu - Higgins as centermen is a pretty good start to some good offence?

A.Kost - Pleky - Kovy
Latendresse - Koivu - ???
??? - Higgins - S.Kost
Lapierre, Chipchura - Kostopoulos.

Lapierre needs to play wing, to really be able to forecheck as good as he can. Chipchura will close the center, and we all know what Kostopoulos is capable of. Bégin would be there to really ensure that everyone is playing hard each game. Because, with 3 capable center out of 4, we can pretty much mix everything and still have a good 4th line.

On D, pretty much set
Markov - Komi
Hamrlik - O'Byrne (I want to see him play at least 45 games)
Bouillon - Gorges

extra : Brisebois (if not, another veteran D) & Valentenko (30 games, à la O'byrne this year)

Lachenaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Chipchura and Stewart.

I wanna see more of Stewart, i want to know if can he play like he did on his single game in the NHL on a longer period.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
i'm not so sure about that one
oups,****ed up on that one!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:17 AM
WestIslander

Max Pacioretty and Kyle Chipchura would be excellent additions.

I want Kyle Chipchura to have a permanent (3rd line) role with the team as a shutdown player with Higgins and Lapierre.

I would like to see Max Pacioretty groomed into a power forward a la Todd Bertuzzi and Doug Weight.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Max Pac and Emelin(if he is a choice not mentioned), if not Emelin then Valentenko.
Forget Emelin. He's still under contract with AK Bars for another year so if he comes it won't be before the 09-10 season.

As for the thread , i guess that Chipchura and Valentenko are the 2 most obvious choices although i'm not sure if V will make it.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:20 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I'll chip in. What do you say we start a 'Let's bring MaxPac to camp' fund ? Or does the NCAA frown upon human kindness ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Roulin

Chipchura and Grabovsky.

Valentenko will probably get some games when injuries hit, but there's no room in our D corps as it stands. IMO the Habs' management would rather have a journeyman than a prospect in the press box as our 7th D.

Darkhorse candidate to make the team: Ben Maxwell. Because of his injuries, it's hard to tell how far along he is in his development, but I think he could surprise.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
Chipchura and Stewart.

I wanna see more of Stewart, i want to know if can he play like he did on his single game in the NHL on a longer period.
That's my choice, word for word.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote