HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wich Rookie Do You Want To See With The Habs Next Season?

Old
05-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Max Pacioretty and Kyle Chipchura would be excellent additions.

I want Kyle Chipchura to have a permanent (3rd line) role with the team as a shutdown player with Higgins and Lapierre.

I would like to see Max Pacioretty groomed into a power forward a la Todd Bertuzzi and Doug Weight.
With Smolinski gone,I think Chipchura will get the shutdown role on the 3rd line.If Gainey signs another veteran,I will lose it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:30 AM
WestIslander

I think Gainey has learned not to sign "dead weight" anymore and is convinced that the young guns are ready to step it up for this organization.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think Gainey has learned not to sign "dead weight" anymore and is convinced that the young guns are ready to step it up for this organization.
Really? Is that why he keeps talking about adding a big name free agent?

05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Really? Is that why he keeps talking about adding a big name free agent?
I don't think he is going to sign another "Johnson" or "Smolinski" I think he was talking about a "Hossa" or a "Malone".

LOL

Old
05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't think he is going to sign another "Johnson" or "Smolinski" I think he was talking about a "Hossa" or a "Malone".

LOL
Oh that I agree with. But I don't think he's totally convinced that the young guns are ready to carry the load.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Maxpac

My choices for this year are Chipchura and Emelin, Chipchura and Lappierre have to play on the same line though, as Lappierre is a much more better winger then Center, Chipchura has 10 x the vision while Lappierre brings the speed and the hard work in the corners, put a Bégin, a Kosto, a Stewart or a Latendresse and it makes a really interesting 4th line. We need 3 offensive les next year though, our depth brought absoletely nothing offensively in the playoffs, Philly had Jeff Carter as a 3rd line center, either we cross our fingers with Grabovsky or we sign someone.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Squeaky

Quote:

LOL
A Hossa or a Malone? Malone? Seriously? Johnson had more points the year before we signed him than Malone had this year. Sure Malone is bigger and more physical and whatnot, but he's still nothing like a Hossa.

---

How can so many of you just say you want to see Valentenko added to the club? We've already got 6 Ds under contract for next year, and I fully expect Gainey to sign a veteran #7, or bring back Streit to do the utility man thing again. There just isn't room for the guy right now. At best, he'll end up doing roughly what O'Byrne did this year. Frankly, that's all I want him to do; we've got the depth to ease guys into the lineup now, no point in rushing him.

I have even more reservations about Patches. I want to get that power-forward type guy into the lineup as much as the next guy, but come on! Do you people really think he's NHL ready already? Just for comparisons sake, take a look at a guy like Wyman. Wyman was roughly as effective as Patches was in the NCAA last year, has all physical tools Patches does, and has three more years experience against decent competition in college, to go with his extra 2 years in age. Wyman wasn't even very effective when he was promoted to the AHL, never mind the NHL. Again, I'm forced to say that the club has far too much depth to be rushing a player like Pacioretty next season. I think he's still about 2 years away from the NHL, regardless of whether he stays in college or opts to turn pro next year.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:08 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez54 View Post
If I have to pick two... Chipchura and Valentenko. I only think Chipchura will make it full-time, likely centering the third / fourth line.

Honestly, I don't see much change. Supposing a UFA forward is brought in, I don't see a major change in the line-up from last season, save Sergei Kostitsyn getting a more permanent third-line spot than a fluid one where he oscillates between the second and third lines. Something like...

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-UFA
Latendresse-Chipchura-Kostitsyn
Bégin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

With Lapierre / Chipchura and Higgins / S. Kostitsyn interchanging. I can see D'Agostini getting called up if one of the top-nine forwards gets injured, and I can see Stewart as a utility player. I don't think Pacioretty will make the team. If no UFA is signed, though... that makes things a little more interesting. I'm not going to bother speculating, since there are a few possibilities of what to do, but as an extra forward, I'd guess D'Agostini would get the nod over Stewart.

On D, I don't know, since I haven't paid much attention. I picked Valentenko, but I don't think we'll see much movement on D too much. Markov, Komisarek, Gorges, and Hamrlik are set, leaving two spots open. If Bouillon isn't moved, then there's only one spot open. If Streit re-signs and plays D, that spot's taken; if Brisebois re-signs, it may get taken as well. O'Byrne's still in the wings waiting for a spot. In light of this, I think, outside several injuries, we likely won't see Carle or Valentenko called up. Perhaps for one-two game stints, but not much.
Higgins should play on the3rd line IMO. I would like to see Lats- Koivu and S. K. on the 2nd line.

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
My choices for this year are Chipchura and Emelin, Chipchura and Lappierre have to play on the same line though, as Lappierre is a much more better winger then Center, Chipchura has 10 x the vision while Lappierre brings the speed and the hard work in the corners, put a Bégin, a Kosto, a Stewart or a Latendresse and it makes a really interesting 4th line. We need 3 offensive les next year though, our depth brought absoletely nothing offensively in the playoffs, Philly had Jeff Carter as a 3rd line center, either we cross our fingers with Grabovsky or we sign someone.
Carter would be very nice....canadian blood is always good.

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:12 AM
WestIslander

I agree, even though I want Max Pacioretty to play with the Habs next season, we can't make the same mistake we made with Latendresse and rush Max, we need to have him play at least a season or even two with the Bulldogs so that he has professional experience and knows pressure before coming to face the Montreal fans, media, pressure and schedule.

Old
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
I agree, even though I want Max Pacioretty to play with the Habs next season, we can't make the same mistake we made with Latendresse and rush Max, we need to have him play at least a season or even two with the Bulldogs so that he has professional experience and knows pressure before coming to face the Montreal fans, media, pressure and schedule.
Absolutely not comparable to Latendresse here. Pacioretty already has the size, the skating, and the talent to be a NHLer. Latendresse lacked the skating. There's just no comparison to be made between both.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77otto View Post
Carter would be very nice....canadian blood is always good.
I've wanted Carter since he was a rookie. the guy always had that linden-esque type of potential to him. He'll be a very solid 2-way player for a long time.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:57 AM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Chipchura and Stewart, maybe D'agostini. I really liked what Stewart brought in his lone game, speed, toughness and smart plays. Chipchura will have a fulltime job on the third line IMO, he is ready. Hopefully a good UFA will push Higgins out of the top 6, IMO he fits much better on the third line.

A Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
UFA-Koivu-S Kostitsyn
Higgins-Chipchura-Latendresse
Stewart/D'agonstini-Lapierre-Kostopolous

I would like Begin and Dandenault to be shifted out of the team and hopefully traded. These players can be replaced and are easy to find.
Don't mind those lines, I think the third line would be the best 3rd Mtl''s had for yrs.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:57 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'll chip in. What do you say we start a 'Let's bring MaxPac to camp' fund ? Or does the NCAA frown upon human kindness ?
the ncaa frowns anything being given to student athletes, and they reap the rewards of having said athletes (sort of... schools spend millions on facilities to get the facilities for the kids to play there and then after paying off the facilities reap the rewards).

essentially, max and his parents are the only ones who can pay for him (and even within that they cant take out loans that are "favourable" or anything else)

ANYWAYS... to answer the original question.. i like most people here LIKE KYLE CHIPCHURA and also valentenko if hes definitely ready

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I've wanted Carter since he was a rookie. the guy always had that linden-esque type of potential to him. He'll be a very solid 2-way player for a long time.
me too, but on my team he would immediately have the 1st line, it would be a dream to get this guy

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Habs514

Gregory Stewart, Kyle Chipchura we need some grit.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Kaptain Bégin

I want to see Chipchura and Stewart from day 1. I like what they bring to our team.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:48 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez54 View Post

On D, I don't know, since I haven't paid much attention. I picked Valentenko, but I don't think we'll see much movement on D too much. Markov, Komisarek, Gorges, and Hamrlik are set, leaving two spots open. If Bouillon isn't moved, then there's only one spot open. If Streit re-signs and plays D, that spot's taken; if Brisebois re-signs, it may get taken as well. O'Byrne's still in the wings waiting for a spot. In light of this, I think, outside several injuries, we likely won't see Carle or Valentenko called up. Perhaps for one-two game stints, but not much.
I agree, the defense should be a carry-over with O'Byrne moving into the Brisebois spot, likely alongside Hamrlik. I'd like to see Steit re-signed but as a third/fourth line forward with powerplay duty on defense. Given Streit can play defense in a pinch there is really no need to carry a 7th defenseman and Valentenko and Carle will hone their game in Hamilton and primed for an injury call-up.

Smolinski has played his last game in Montreal (as a Hab anyways) and I hope Gainey can find a taker for Dandenault (maybe as a salary equalizer in a bigger trade). If he can't I don't see the benefit of taking a $2 mil hit or more on the cap. This was his first season with the Habs playing exclusively as a forward and next season will be his UFA year so he may be a pleasant surprise with a lot to prove. I'm guessing fourth line duty with stints in the press box at worst.

So, barring an "expect the unexpected" episode, Chipchura moves full-time into Smolinski's spot and Grabovski and D'Agostini will battle for Ryder's time on the third line.

24Cups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I'm going to make a wild prediction here, one I've be thinking about since our season is over...

Olivier Latendresse is going to be next year dark-horse for a spot in the big club.

Mark my words.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:30 AM
jcpenny

Chipchura, Dagostini and Stewart.

Chip should center the 4th line and Lapierre on the wing where he should be more comfortable. Stewart and Dago should battle for a regular spot or the pressbox. Gainey will probably get another center to play one of the top 3 lines. Grabo could be trade bait and Streit might not be re-signed. Valentenko will probably start the season in the AHL.

S.Kost-Pleks-Kovy
Lats-Koivu-A.Kost
Higgins-UFA or trade-Dago/Lapierre
Stewart/Begin-Chip-Kosto/Lapierre

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Habitants

i think at this point Chips should be a lock. he played a good amount of hockey last season for the habs, and the fact that he did not come back after he got sent down was a dissapointment.

i look forward to seeing him on the 3rd line between higgins and Skost.
that will create a very solid offensive and defensive 3rd line that could get a good amount of chances. my lineup for next season remains as follows

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-UFA
Higgins-Chipchura-Kostitsyn
Bégin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

i do beleive Latendresse will be better off playing on a line with koivu, he needs to play top 6 to be effective in terms of points, and i think he is at his best when he plays with saku.

the second rookie is up in the air, it will depend on the FA situation, and where there will be a need. with forwards leaving there could be a spot available, but it could also be taken by a UFA, which seems to be BG target.

but if streit does not stay and breezer is not kept, thre could also be a spot on D. i thnk valentenko could be the best option.

i could also see Stewart staying with the team to play on the fourth line in rotation as the 13 forward. i liked what i saw from him in his limited exposure at the end of the season.

needless to say there will be a couple of battle for roster spots, and the players will have to earn them

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:56 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Chipchura and Grabovsky.

Valentenko will probably get some games when injuries hit, but there's no room in our D corps as it stands. IMO the Habs' management would rather have a journeyman than a prospect in the press box as our 7th D.

Darkhorse candidate to make the team: Ben Maxwell. Because of his injuries, it's hard to tell how far along he is in his development, but I think he could surprise.
I agree, the only problem with this, he doesnt really have a slot on the team. Playing the yoyo with Grabovski(hes just that employee you don't really care about) is one thing, doing it with Maxwell is another, hes the only close thing we have to a possible top 6 center in our prospects and I think it would be better to give him a stable development road. If Maxwell can't replace Koivu or Plekanec I don't see him on the team.(Might be called up because of injuries) Chipchura, Lapierre, Begin(White, Fortier) we have plenty of bottom 6 centers.

His turn will come, but imo the habs will be overly protective and patient with Ben.(Depending what Koivu will do next summer when his contract is up and/or UFAs)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Absolutely not comparable to Latendresse here. Pacioretty already has the size, the skating, and the talent to be a NHLer. Latendresse lacked the skating. There's just no comparison to be made between both.
I have a feeling Latendresse is going to be twice as explosive and much faster next year. And his game is really going to benefit from it.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs514 View Post
Gregory Stewart, Kyle Chipchura we need some grit.
Yup, those were my picks - and for the same reason.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 02:30 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Chipchura and Pacioretty.

Chipchura for his offensive upside, smarts and unbeatable ability on the boards.

Pacioretty for his speed, offensive prowess and willingness to get dirty in the front of the net.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote