HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Met Saku, Mikko and Olli today and..

Old
05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I actually am related, though distantly to Mathew Barnaby. Ahh, it all becomes clear now doesn't it ?
The funny thing is I wouldn't call Barnaby an ugly guy. But for some reason when I saw that picture, he was the first one to come to mind.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
sandman08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
They actually do look alike...

hahaha
i was more going for the scene in jay and silent bob strike back where matt damon and ben affleck are practicing their "lion face" and "lemon face" (at least i think its lemon.. either way i was laughing) but that works too IP haha

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
The funny thing is I wouldn't call Barnaby an ugly guy. But for some reason when I saw that picture, he was the first one to come to mind.
The real story behind that picture is that those two guys are brothers living in Africa, known as the village idiots to the locals(shockingly). When the photographer was visiting the country he was told about these guys and had to take their portrait.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Is it really Olli Joke? He reminds me of someone I knew as a kid. We called him Eddie. He was Finnish and blond and sort of resembled Olli Joke. We had snow forts on opposite sides of the street and were lobbing snowballs over the tops. I took a couple of snowballs, crossed the street a short distance away, sneaked behind the enemy fort, and let Eddie have it with the two snowballs right in the puss. He wheeled around and came after me with a shovel. I ran and ran with Eddie a few steps behind until he stumbled and fell face first into the snow. After that I avoided him for a few weeks because I was convincedhe was mad enough to hit me with that shovel.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 05-14-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Is it really Olli Joke? He reminds me of someone I knew as a kid. We called him Eddie. He was Finnish and blond and sort of resembled Olli Joke. We had snow forts on opposite sides of the street and were lobbing snowballs over the tops. I took a couple of snowballs, crossed the street a short distance away, sneaked behind the enemy fort, and let Eddie have it with the two snowballs right in the puss. He wheeled around and came after me with a shovel. I ran and ran with Eddie a few steps behind until he stumbled and fell face first into the snow. After that I avoided him for a few weeks because I was convincedhe was mad enough to hit me with that shovel.
Seems like my kind of guy, that Eddie.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:32 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
The shovel, or his habit of falling face first in the snow ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
The shovel, or his habit of falling face first in the snow ?
We have a lot in common, put it that way.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
..seemed like a funny guy.

I asked Saku for his autograph and he said he didn't have a pen or marker. I was like ****, me neither, so he turned and asked Oli and he just replied with "why the **** would I have a marker?"
Why in the world should they speak english together?! Or do you speak finnish?! I don't believe that story and think you might just have a hate for Jokinen...

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
Why in the world should they speak english together?! Or do you speak finnish?! I don't believe that story and think you might just have a hate for Jokinen...
You don't have to be oblivious either... What the hell...

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:48 AM
GoHabs20

I didn't read the whole topic, but a TML wallet???

glad you got to meet Saku on one of his good days, because I have seen him on his bad days and he can be a real SOB.

I think I like Jokinen more now after reading this.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabs20 View Post

glad you got to meet Saku on one of his good days, because I have seen him on his bad days and he can be a real SOB.

I've meet Koivu on several different occasions and I've never seen him be a SOB. Maybe it's something in you that brings out the worst in Koivu.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:

Seriously? Not Koivu! I won't believe it.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:

Is that you, Joe Thornton?

Old
05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I've meet Koivu on several different occasions and I've never seen him be a SOB. Maybe it's something in you that brings out the worst in Koivu.
I am sure I had nothing to do with his mood. I did not approach him and won't ever if I ever see him again.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:49 AM
mcphee

Quote:
I am sure I had nothing to do with his mood. I did not approach him and won't ever if I ever see him again.
See, and they say restraining orders never work.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Still waiting on anectdotal evidence...

Old
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Still waiting on anectdotal evidence...
You should never make judgements on anecdotes like this. I'm sure you can find examples where everyone's a jerk at times, or a great guy at times. My kids could say I'm a warm wonderful human being or an ill tempered sarcastic sob. Which one's true ? Both.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
GoHabs20

I am a security guard..I see and hear a lot.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
GoHabs20

Quote:
You should never make judgements on anecdotes like this. I'm sure you can find examples where everyone's a jerk at times, or a great guy at times. My kids could say I'm a warm wonderful human being or an ill tempered sarcastic sob. Which one's true ? Both.
very true actually.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:02 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
This is very true but I've actually never heard anyone say anything negative about this guy (except for that whole French thing but that wasn't about how he can be a jerk at times). It's not that I was going to base a judgement on this, but I am very curious.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
On HF, we say you are a kindly older gentleman with a heart of gold, a veritable font of wisdom, lore and knowledge.

That'll be 5 $ please.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:05 AM
mcphee

Quote:
On HF, we say you are a kindly older gentleman with a heart of gold, a veritable font of wisdom, lore and knowledge.

That'll be 5 $ please.
I'll make it $20 if I can get it on a business card, or something I can show my wife.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
This is very true but I've actually never heard anyone say anything negative about this guy (except for that whole French thing but that wasn't about how he can be a jerk at times). It's not that I was going to base a judgement on this, but I am very curious.
My suspicion, and my closest contact was while parking my car on Mansfield st. in about 96, he walked by towrds the Queen E. prompting my then 14 year old to say how cute he was, that he's a proud sob and he wears it on his sleeve. I'd also bet that he's not immune to the status his profession gives him.

It's hard to be a regular guy when you've been told since bantam age that you're special. Then again, I'm just observing what I think is normal for guys that make big bucks in a profession like this.

Koivu's lived a stressful part of his life publiaclly and behaved admirably thru it and afterwards, so it makes him a special case, but I'm sure he has his days when someone stops him in public and he rolls his eyes and wishes they'd leave him the f alone. Male pms, we get it too.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Corey

Quote:
You really wouldn't want to be Eddie. An ox isn't the smartest animal. If I was a big, clumsy guy who was chasing someone I would realize that I didn't need the shovel and that it was slowing me down and making me lose my balance.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
You really wouldn't want to be Eddie. An ox isn't the smartest animal. If I was a big, clumsy guy who was chasing someone I would realize that I didn't need the shovel and that it was slowing me down and making me lose my balance.
Eddie knew he'd have to bury him afterwards, he's a planner.