HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the poll that kills: Higgins vs Latendresse

View Poll Results: Higgins or Latendresse
Christopher Higgins 101 69.66%
Guillaume Latendresse 44 30.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
the poll that kills: Higgins vs Latendresse

Who would you put on the 2nd line?

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind seeing Lats play with Koivu for an extended period of time. I think their chemistry is quite good. Plus it would be great to see what Lats can do with the added minutes.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:26 AM
GoHabs20

Higgins

stupid poll. Lats is not even nhl material.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Ideally, nether, Higgins doesn't have the offensive upside to be on the 2nd line, or at least hasn't shown it to me so far. A third line of Higgins-Chips-xxx would be ideal.

Lats has the potential to be there, but just doesn't seem to be improving at all, I donno what we should do with him. He's been stagnant in his play since he made the team. Hopefully he can improve in the offseason

AK-Pleks-Kovy
SK-Koivu-Offensive UFA
Higgins-Chips- Defensive UFA (how about Peca ?)
Kosto-Rookie-Rookie

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:30 AM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
Ideally, nether, Higgins doesn't have the offensive upside to be on the 2nd line, or at least hasn't shown it to me so far. A third line of Higgins-Chips-xxx would be ideal.

Lats has the potential to be there, but just doesn't seem to be improving at all, I donno what we should do with him. He's been stagnant in his play since he made the team. Hopefully he can improve in the offseason

AK-Pleks-Kovy
SK-Koivu-Offensive UFA
Kosto-Rookie-Rookie
Peca is done!
where is Lapierre?

Old
05-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

AK-Pleks-Kovy
SK-Koivu-Offensive UFA
Kosto-Rookie-Rookie
My 1st choice would be to bring in an offensive type player instead of using either Lats or Higgins. But we keep saying that Lats isn't improving, but we are not really putting him in sitations where he can succeed.

Before throwing Lats away for nothing, I would like to see him given a proper chance. If he fails after that, I would have no problem sending him down to Hamilton.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Marc-E-

Why not those lines:

Latendresse Koivu Kovalev
Higgins Plekanec A.Kostitsyn
? Chipchura/? S.Kostitsyn
Bégin Lapierre Kostopoulos/?/?

Is it fair enough to put finally A.Kostitsyn as a RW?

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Lats play with Koivu for an extended period of time. I think their chemistry is quite good. Plus it would be great to see what Lats can do with the added minutes.
I would like to see Higgins on a checking line unit that could be a treat offensively
Lats should be tested for a stretch. not the yo yo he has rightfully has been.
If he comes to camp(Lats) with extra jump in his first 3 strides, give him a chance

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Judge Sauer*

Friggin rights it kills, Lats is going to be slaughtered on this poll.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Maxpac

Latendresse before Higgins, especially since he's finally getting powerskating lessons this summer, his game will change for the better next year, Higgins right now is missing way too many chances to be top6 material, he needs to work on his passing game too, Latendresse is way ahead of him in that department too

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Latendresse before Higgins, especially since he's finally getting powerskating lessons this summer, his game will change for the better next year, Higgins right now is missing way too many chances to be top6 material, he needs to work on his passing game too, Latendresse is way ahead of him in that department too
didn't he say last summer he took those power staking lessons? did you see a difference in his skating this past season?

Higgins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>frenchy tender

Old
05-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Higgins missed a lot of scoring chance, but Lats isn't way ahead of him in those department. I think we should stay patient with both; But we have to find someone who will play on the RW on the 2nd line.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Dripper

vCash: 172
I voted Higgins but that's just because I have not seen any progression from Tender this year. If he's in good shape come training camp he might earn a top 6 spot. Moreover, we would be a better team if we had the depth to put Higgins on the third line.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

I voted Lats because I like his size up on the top two, even if he isn't very fast. That isn't a knock against Higgins - he's still one of my favorite players by far. But a duo of Higgins-Chipchura would be good, because of Higgins speed and offensive awareness. Our third line could end up being just as effective as a second line with the right combonations.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Didn't he get power skating training last summer? I'm not sure if they even worked. I hope these new lessons get him some wheels though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderAllNight View Post
I voted Lats because I like his size up on the top two, even if he isn't very fast. That isn't a knock against Higgins - he's still one of my favorite players by far. But a duo of Higgins-Chipchura would be good, because of Higgins speed and offensive awareness. Our third line could end up being just as effective as a second line with the right combonations.
Lats has the size, he just doesn't use it all the time, he could be a scary player if he wanted to be, but just doesn't seem to want to throw the hits.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Talent Analyst

Right now, S.Kost >>>> Higgins >>>> Latendresse

But we will se in the training camp.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
tooley99

Higgins! 25 goals and 50 points on a really bad year. Trade him!!!

tooley99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabs20 View Post
Peca is done!
where is Lapierre?
Gone.

Lapierre is nice and all, but lets be honest, he has no business being on a contenting team. This guy is bad defensively, can't shoot, can't pass and doesn't fight.

He only has the skill to be a 4th liner without all the intangibles a 4th liner should bring to your team. I would rather sign a tough guy like Simon/Laraque, a veteran like Genilas/Federov or give the spot to a rookie like Pacretti/D'Agostini who both have much higher upsides.

Hell, if all that doesn't work, just bring back Dagenais and try to get into as many shootouts as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
My 1st choice would be to bring in an offensive type player instead of using either Lats or Higgins. But we keep saying that Lats isn't improving, but we are not really putting him in sitations where he can succeed.

Before throwing Lats away for nothing, I would like to see him given a proper chance. If he fails after that, I would have no problem sending him down to Hamilton.
I never said we should trow Lats away, just Lapierre, Begin and Dandenault. The guys with nothing to contribute and no upside. Lats has tons of potential, and I've always said so.

I honestly don't know whats the best thing to do with him, I left him off the roster waiting to see how he would show up for camp. If he can't outplay SK/Higgins for a spot on an offensive line, I donno if it would be best to keep him on the 3rd-4th line for the 3rd straight year, or send him down to work on his game where there is no pressure.

Lats has been given all the chances in the world to play on offensive lines, but the harsh truth is, he's not consistent enough to be there.

Two years ago, he beat out A.Kost for a spot in the lineup. Now he's fallen behind him in the depth chart, and behind his brother who was sent to junior the year he made the team. I hope I'm not going to have to add Pacoretti to that list next year.

The problem is not that he's not getting the chance to play on top lines, its that other players develop into better players than him.

If he can come out in camp and earn a spot next to Koivu, great, if he can't, we might want to reconsider what we've been doing the last 2 years, because it hasn't worked so far, and it would suck to lose such potential for nothing.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
habfan4

Quote:
I'm excited by Guillaume's publicized dedication to improve his skating as well, but shouldn't you wait to see the results before you congratulate him and/or catapult him ahead of Higgins on the depth chart?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:01 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Hossa

Higgins----->3rd
Latendresse----->4th, ahl?

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderAllNight View Post
I'd take that a little further. Depending how the team is set up next year, we could see Chipchura, Grabovski or someone else as a third line C. Forgetting the someone else option, I'd like to see Higgins on the left wing with either of the two youngsters at centre. He has the work ethic, speed and shot that could be a good match for Chipchura. But he also has strengths that could help minimise some of Grabovski's weaknesses yet has enough speed and scoring ability to make the most of Grab's set up skills. Rounding out that line, whatever style is expected from it with either centre shouldn't be too difficult. If D'Ago is ready and a scoring touch is needed, we have a right winger. Maybe even Streit if re-signed. If a more straight forward game is needed, we have Lapierre and Kostopoulos.

If Grabs takes 3rd line C duties, Chip wouldn't necessarily be out of place in the 4th line C spot. If Chip is on the 3rd though, that puts Grabs back to the spare forward role, when he might be able to contribute.

With Higgins on the third, it gives us a chance to give Latendresse a run on a scoring line, see how he copes. And if we sign a winger, lets say Hossa just because he is often mentioned, we could have Kovalev, A.Kost, Hossa and Lats as top 4 wingers (good players plus gives Lats his chance). On the third, we could have Higgins and S.Kost. If either of our two youngsters centre those two, it is still going to look like a decent line, and gives our lineup more depth.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I never said we should trow Lats away, just Lapierre, Begin and Dandenault. The guys with nothing to contribute and no upside. Lats has tons of potential, and I've always said so.

I honestly don't know whats the best thing to do with him, I left him off the roster waiting to see how he would show up for camp. If he can't outplay SK/Higgins for a spot on an offensive line, I donno if it would be best to keep him on the 3rd-4th line for the 3rd straight year, or send him down to work on his game where there is no pressure.

Lats has been given all the chances in the world to play on offensive lines, but the harsh truth is, he's not consistent enough to be there.

Two years ago, he beat out A.Kost for a spot in the lineup. Now he's fallen behind him in the depth chart, and behind his brother who was sent to junior the year he made the team. I hope I'm not going to have to add Pacoretti to that list next year.

The problem is not that he's not getting the chance to play on top lines, its that other players develop into better players than him.

If he can come out in camp and earn a spot next to Koivu, great, if he can't, we might want to reconsider what we've been doing the last 2 years, because it hasn't worked so far, and it would suck to lose such potential for nothing.
Fair enough BI, I just thought that since you didn't have him in your line up that you were throwing him away. My bad.

I do disagree though that Lats has been given consistent playing time in a top 6 role. Personally I would like to see him play 20 games straight with no line juggling, before making a proper accessment.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:05 AM
anarmandaleb

Neither of the two is improving like I expected. They both have the potential but I'm sick of saying that about them.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Brett38

A. Kostitsyn Plekanec Kovalev

UFA Koivu S. Kostitsyn

Higgins Chipchura Prospect or UFA

Begin Lapiere Kostopolous

No room for Latendresse.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Neither of the two is improving like I expected. They both have the potential but I'm sick of saying that about them.
Higgins did surpass his offensive numbers from last year. I think what happened with Higgins is a lot of us over rated him from day one. If you go back and look at his pre-draft evaluations, most of them state that Higgins will be a solid 3rd line player.

If you go by that outlook, Higgins is progressing right on schedule.