HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Top End Talent

Old
05-15-2008, 12:32 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Then can we wait until he plays a professional game before labeling him?
haha...i guess....everything i have heard about him gets me more and more excited though....seems like he is going to be a steal

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
haha...i guess....everything i have heard about him gets me more and more excited though....seems like he is going to be a steal
i will say this....he is a lock in my opinion to be a 4th liner at worse. great defensive skills, amazing speed, good forechecker, not scared to do the dirty work. but really, i think he has a lot of offensive potential waiting to break out. thats why i love that he has 3 years of college left to bring out as much as possible.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 12:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I understand you're enthusiasm. But be careful I had the same excitement about Marcus Jonasen.

05-15-2008, 12:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I understand you're enthusiasm. But be careful I had the same excitement about Marcus Jonasen.
understand totally

Old
05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
chosen

Quote:
Prucha. Girardi was undrafted. Dawes in the 5th. Callahan in the 4th.
If I knew that Prucha was considered a late round gem I would have never said that the Rangers haven't drafted lots of late round gems. To me, a gem is an excellent NHL player. Dawes and Callahan might end up there but they ain't that now.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 09:55 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
If I knew that Prucha was considered a late round gem I would have never said that the Rangers haven't drafted lots of late round gems.
He was including semi-precious stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
To me, a gem is an excellent NHL player. Dawes and Callahan might end up there but they ain't that now.
And this gets to the heart of the issue. How do we define termes like "gem" and "excellent" or even "late-round"? Personally I wouldn't say either Dawes or Callahan has a chance of "excellence" in this league. Can they be "good" or even "very good" players? I think so. But until a common defintitoin is found, anyone can make the claim that the Rangers are stockpiled with "late round gems."

When I think of "late round gem" I'm thinking a player drafted after the 3rd round who is a truly excellent player in the league, "excellent" meaning one of the top 5-8 at his position. That's a "gem." Something that has great value. Do Dawes or Callahan have "great value" say, as trading chips?

For the Blueshirts that essentially means Lundqvist.

Last edited by dedalus: 05-17-2008 at 10:02 AM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 10:00 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
To be fair also the Ranger organization didn't start taking the draft ... seriously until 2003.
So your statement is that prior to 2003 the Rangers' position was that they really didn't care how well they drafted? "Meh. If it works out, it works out. Otherwise we're not going to worry about it. Why take the draft seriously?"

I think all teams take the draft deadly serious; the only question is who does it well? The teams that don't perform well aren't failing because they're not serious.

Old
05-17-2008, 12:29 PM
UAGoalieGuy

To echo what has been said by some posters already, the Rangers prospect pool right now is the deepest since well over a decade ago. The Ranger's do not have a lot, if any, super-star potential prospect waiting in the wings. This is mostly due to the fact that in the last few drafts the Rangers have been picking in the mid-teens, early twenty's. Not going to get many super-stars picking from there. It's not a bad thing, because that means the team has been playing well.

The depth of the Ranger's prospect pool is stunning, IMO. Although the only first line player I see in the pool of prospects is Chereponov, the Rangers have a boat load of potential second, third, and fourth liners. Dubinsky, Anisimov, Dawes, Korpido, Callahan, and Hillier all look like they will fall somewhere on the second and third lines (That's pretty solid right there, as three already are in the NHL producing and Korpido seems like he is ready to contribute next season). Byers, Moore, and Jessiman have third line potential, but more realistically right now they look like 4th liners, which is still pretty solid.

The Rangers real strength lines within their future D-core. Staal and Sangs will be top pairing D-men, of which Staal has the potential to be an elite D-man in his prime. The future (and current) second pairing is pretty much set in Girardi and Tyutin (One drafted, the other an unsigned prospect). Future third pairing will have Sauer on it. If he stay's healthy, he will be one rock solid D-man and I think will replace one of Girardi or Tyutin if they don't keep their level of play up (I think Tyutin might end up on the 3rd pairing in a couple of years). I would slot Baranka into the last spot on the 3rd pairing but he's pretty much gone to Russia or where-ever he went.

Finally in net. The Rangers have their franchise goalie for the next 10 years (provided Lundqvist re-signs after his current contract). Wiikman (an undrafted signee) has the potential to be a starter in the NHL, IMO, but will make a solid back-up for a couple of seasons so Lundqvist does not have to play 70+ games a year (even though he is more then capable and more then likely wants to play every game).

The real hole the Rangers need to fill, which has to be done via UFA or trade at this point in time, is a first line winger. The Rangers have their veteran center-core of Gomez and Drury (once all the prospects are ready, he will probably have to shift to wing) set for the long-term. I hope Avery re-signs for a decent contract because I feel he will play a very important role with the Rangers for the next few years.

All in all this organization is in great shape, IMO. Both currently and in the future. My how things have changed in just a few years....

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if korpedo ever figures out his offensive game on a regular basis. hes a bonafide top end forward with the rest of his game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
if korpedo ever figures out his offensive game on a regular basis. hes a bonafide top end forward with the rest of his game.
i really hope he can leanr quickly and turn his offensive game on...he seems like everything else comes easily to him and as a first round pick i feel he can do it

Old
05-17-2008, 03:39 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
All in all this organization is in great shape, IMO. Both currently and in the future. My how things have changed in just a few years....
"Great shape" now? I don't see it. Seems to me a team currently in "great shape" should be finishing somewhat better than 2-above-.500 and getting knocked out in the second round (arguably a worse performance than last year's).

Don't know about the future. That will depend on what these kids develop into.

Old
05-17-2008, 03:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Dubi is looking like he could be a 2nd line center.
Last I checked, Dubinsky centered the Rangers first line this season.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 06:07 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Kovalev and Amonte I would say.
Cherneski

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote