HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone Know of a Good Company that custom-paints Goalie Masks?

Old
05-15-2008, 03:47 PM
The Goaltending Guru

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
Anyone Know of a Good Company that custom-paints Goalie Masks?

Does anyone know of any companies or websites that I can send a plain, white Itech goalie mask off to get custom-painted like the pros do? I was also wondering to what extent they would be able to paint it. For example, could they do something awesome like my wife on my goalie mask? (assuming I were to send them a headshot of my wife)

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:16 PM
MikeD

one of the best.... www.maskedexpressions.com

Masked Expressions
By Tony Jarrett Ltd.
4804 Randleman Rd
Greensboro, NC 27406

(336) 676-7702 Daytime
(336) 327-3432 Cell

tonyjarrett@earthlink.net

He is the only painter who offers a limited lifetime guarantee on his work with free touch-ups and free return shipping on touch ups. He can paint ANYTHING you wish on any subject matter you wish.

Painting has been a family affair for him with many of his Fathers work done on motorcycles featured on the cover of easy rider and such. On his site he has several galleries of past work that you can look through to gage his work. He has painted my mask as well as my sons. Outstanding work...photos just dont do his paints justice. As far as prices, you cant get any better.

Here is mine... Its a space scene called "eagle nebula". I swear that when you hold it close and look into the paint its like looking at a hubble deep space photo, after it got its corrective lens' in place. lol Color changing paints, candies and such really give it superb depth. The lined Constellations were his way of representing my three children in the paint. They are the three signs of the zodiac for each of my boys.

Last edited by MikeD: 05-15-2008 at 05:56 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
JumboJoe19
Hank027

how much did it cost to get that helmet painted?

JumboJoe19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:36 PM
MG91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
one of the best.... www.maskedexpressions.com

Masked Expressions
By Tony Jarrett Ltd.
4804 Randleman Rd
Greensboro, NC 27406

(336) 676-7702 Daytime
(336) 327-3432 Cell

tonyjarrett@earthlink.net

He is the only painter who offers a limited lifetime guarantee on his work with free touch-ups and free return shipping on touch ups. He can paint ANYTHING you wish on any subject matter you wish.

Painting has been a family affair for him with many of his Fathers work done on motorcycles featured on the cover of easy rider and such. On his site he has several galleries of past work that you can look through to gage his work. He has painted my mask as well as my sons. Outstanding work...photos just dont do his paints justice. As far as prices, you cant get any better.

Here is mine... Its a space scene called "eagle nebula". I swear that when you hold it close and look into the paint its like looking at a hubble deep space photo, after it got its corrective lens' in place. lol Color changing paints, candies and such really give it superb depth. The lined Constellations were his way of representing my three children in the paint. They are the three signs of the zodiac for each of my boys.

That is veryy well done. How much did that set ya back??

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:41 PM
MikeD

Several other well known painters provided quotes ranging from 750.00(no color change paints) to 1100.00 US. Tony did the paint for MUCH less. With each custom paint being priced based on many factors I do not disclose the price he painted mine for. I wouldnt want to "paint" Tony into a corner with his price quotes plus I also had my sons MASK (not helmet) painted so I am sure that helped lower the cost of mine. I would venture to guess that a paint done such as the O.p. wants will be near or above the 500.00 mark if done one on each side...depends on what they decide on after some colaboration. Tony doesnt start painting until he has talked with the owner of the mask by phone at least once to hash out the concept for the paint job.

Its kind of funny because the mask is a Von Veldon and cost about 1/3 the price to have painted. I also installed the maltese SPS 2 gel system. 90MPH head shots are not a problem at all. Not too shabby for a mask costing less than 200 US in 1999.

As you can see in the picture, Tony also repainted the interior of the mask.

I installed the gel a bit differently, placing the back plate pad into the top of the mask rather than just the dots. the one thing that tended to cause problems were the morons that would slash down onto the top of the mask from time to time or the occasional skate to the noggin. It tended to cause some neck pain plus I had to keep the back plate foam in place to hold my MP3 player. Yes, I jam to my favorite tunes while I tend. There is nothing quite like getting caged while cranking Disturbed "down with the sickness"

Cost after paint, MP3 player and gel was just under a grand total. Still trying to fabricate a touch pad wired controller for the Mp3 player to install into the forearm of my C/A.

Do the readers a favor? Edit the quote to remove the images? saves page load time, bandwidth and scrolling.

Last edited by MikeD: 05-15-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old
05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
The Goaltending Guru

That's an awesome mask! I'm definitely going to have to contact that guy and see what he can do for me and my mask.

Old
05-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Honestly.

I can't tell you that a custom paint job mask is really worth it. I paid close to 500 for mine, and after a few years of playing day in and day out, it's shown its age. Alot of the paint is chipped, and it's not looking so good anymore. It's not just abuse from a hockey bag, but it's on ice action that takes to toll on the paint. Everything from pucks to sticks to skates will come into contact with your mask. I used to be anal about my mask, but it's just taken it's toll. In the end it's still paint, and paint chips. You wouldn't expect your car paint not to chip if someone shot pucks at it. But the upside to this is that you can't tell the paint is chipped if your sitting in the stands watching. So it still serves well, and also it has war scars.

Again, your choice, not mine. Best of luck!

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Hounsy

http://www.eyecandyair.com/

http://www.eyecandyair.com/goaliemasks/ateam.htm

I have a mask painted by Steve Nash the second link A-team one and am very pleased with the look and as importantly the durability of the paint. You can see in his galleries he has done a decent amount of portrait work.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:48 PM
The Goaltending Guru

I don't play in too serious of a league. I play in a rec league where goalies play for free and the rink is kind of a dump as far as the bathrooms and whatnot. The locker rooms are decent, but it's basically an old warehouse with no insulation and no heat or air conditioning. I have yet to see any goalie in any of the divisions at this place wearing a customized mask. They all wear just a plain white mask. Most teams don't even have matching jerseys, since your team is not required to have team jerseys. I am the goalie for the house team in the intermediate division.

So, to be perfectly honest, would it even be worth it for me to get a cool customized mask done up, or should I just buy an already-customized goalie mask off the shelf at my local hockey shop, if I want the "cool feeling" of having an awesome goalie mask?

I guess the only thing I have against that is that I don't want to just go out and get a mask that anyone else in the league can go out and buy or find on the internet too. I want to be a little unique. But on the other hand, I don't want to be laughed at for being a dork for actually having a customized mask when I play in a rec league.

Old
05-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I remember now...THIS is why I used to play goalie.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Here's mine - or at least my last painted one - it's basically one of CuJo's old designs with my high school colours (although I wore this mask in college hockey, I got the design because I'm very proud of where I grew up, and our high school is one of the symbols of the area):

It was painted in the summer of 1997 by Jerry of Total Mask Designs, through Don Simmons Sports. Unfortunately, his website now doesn't seem to exist.

I'll mention Dennis Simone's artwork here as part of the thread:
http://users.aol.com/maskman30/pwhpnf.html

And because his entire site has some good art on it.

I've had my current mask since 2005, and it's still the plain white one. Waiting for a good chance to get it painted.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 08:00 PM
MikeD

Jerry did the original paint on my Von Veldon. It was "Double Eagle" much like the Belfore eagle from back in the day. Also, from Simmons. Very nice work, for sure. The chin eagle on the second paint was patterned after Jerry's work, minus the sunburst pattern that radiated across the chin. I believe Total Mask Design stopped at about the same time that Von Veldon had stopped making masks, 2001 or 2 I think. This is also the same time that Simmons stopped stocking Von Veldon. they just might have a few old customs by Von Veldon and painted by Jerry kicking around the shop.

The one thing I encountered with a stock "custom" paint is that they chip VERY easy. The painst seem to be laid up in thicker layers or something. IF your going to get a "custom" you might as well have it painted to your specs ather than get one pre-painted off the shelf. I believe you would get a more durable product.

Eyecandy does some great work but they came in with a quote near the top of list.

Last edited by MikeD: 05-16-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old
05-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TretiakFan20 View Post
Does anyone know of any companies or websites that I can send a plain, white Itech goalie mask off to get custom-painted like the pros do? I was also wondering to what extent they would be able to paint it. For example, could they do something awesome like my wife on my goalie mask? (assuming I were to send them a headshot of my wife)

Check these guys out...
http://www3.telus.net/hartdesigns/

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
One thing our goalie did. If you have a local airbrush shop at your mall or something, that does shirts and what not, you can try them and see if the artist can do anything for you there. It might be cheaper.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2008, 11:22 PM
The Goaltending Guru

If I don't go with my own custom-painted idea, what about one of these already-painted/already-designed/already-decaled goalie masks? Would they be good enough quality?:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/goalie-ho...masks.html#top

(If that link doesn't work, just got to HockeyGiant.com and select "Goalie Masks" to view them)

Old
05-19-2008, 12:57 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

After much debating, when I get my mask painted, Ive decided im going to go with this guy.
http://www.pepecustompaint.com/

I also liked what the Jarrett guy has to offer as well, as the other poster already posted him.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2008, 07:23 AM
RedK

John Pepe did mine - it's on his site, the purple one with the dragons. He was fabulous to work with. My first idea didn't work well with the mask because of where the vent holes were. He was extremely honest about the problems - said he could do it, but it would look bad. We talked through several other ideas and the end result is just breath-taking. The detail work is amazing. And he was just fun to talk to. I can't recommend him highly enough.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote