HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCabe would approve of a trade to the Rangers

Old
05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
McCabe would approve of a trade to the Rangers

I got this from the Devils board, who got it from the Leafs board. So thanks to the Devils and the Leafs.

When MLSE President Richard Peddie fired John Ferguson Jr. he told people in the organization that he will get a superstar to fill the position. Outside of Brian Burke and Lou Lamoriello I really canít think of any. Burkeís superstar status took a slight dive after his recent first round exit.

Peddie has failed at his attempt to get Detroit GM Ken Holland and his right hand man Jim Nill when Red Wings Ownership denied Torontoís request to speak with them last year.

Iím hearing Detroit is back on the radar, only this time itís Hall of Famer Steve Yzerman the Leafs are after.

Speaking of the Leafs why would they buy out Darcy Tucker? It makes no sense. The Biggest mistake the Leafs made was notifying Tuckerís people that they are considering a buyout. If thatís the case why in the world would Tucker accept a trade? I think he would gladly accept a buyout check for around $6 million and then become a free agent. There are at least 7-8 teams who would gladly sign Tucker to a $3 million dollar a year contract this summer. I didnít even mention if they buy him out Tucker would remain a cap hit for the next six years.

Same goes with Bryan McCabe who is owed 4.1 million each of the next two years even though his cap hit is around 5.7 million. There is a major false conception that McCabe would only accept a trade to the Islanders. I hear his only demand is to stay in the East. He would accept a trade to the Rangers, Devils, Flyers, possibly even Atlanta who had serious interest in him last season.

What do you guys think?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I got this from the Devils board, who got it from the Leafs board. So thanks to the Devils and the Leafs.

When MLSE President Richard Peddie fired John Ferguson Jr. he told people in the organization that he will get a superstar to fill the position. Outside of Brian Burke and Lou Lamoriello I really canít think of any. Burkeís superstar status took a slight dive after his recent first round exit.

Peddie has failed at his attempt to get Detroit GM Ken Holland and his right hand man Jim Nill when Red Wings Ownership denied Torontoís request to speak with them last year.

Iím hearing Detroit is back on the radar, only this time itís Hall of Famer Steve Yzerman the Leafs are after.

Speaking of the Leafs why would they buy out Darcy Tucker? It makes no sense. The Biggest mistake the Leafs made was notifying Tuckerís people that they are considering a buyout. If thatís the case why in the world would Tucker accept a trade? I think he would gladly accept a buyout check for around $6 million and then become a free agent. There are at least 7-8 teams who would gladly sign Tucker to a $3 million dollar a year contract this summer. I didnít even mention if they buy him out Tucker would remain a cap hit for the next six years.

Same goes with Bryan McCabe who is owed 4.1 million each of the next two years even though his cap hit is around 5.7 million. There is a major false conception that McCabe would only accept a trade to the Islanders. I hear his only demand is to stay in the East. He would accept a trade to the Rangers, Devils, Flyers, possibly even Atlanta who had serious interest in him last season.

What do you guys think?
Erase this before anyone else sees it. I proposed a trade for McCabe and was practically chased out of town.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Pass.

He is old, a shell of what he once was, and he would cost way too much in the form of our top prospects.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if you could get him for next to nothing, like say Backman who is an expiring contract, id do it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:19 PM
mstraka82

Him over Backman yes! otherwise no, he has lost some fire in his game

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Pass.

He is old, a shell of what he once was, and he would cost way too much in the form of our top prospects.
1) He's not old. He'll be 33.

2) He had 23 points (which would have been second best on our defense) despite playing only 54 games. And he did that on a bad team.

3) What would it really take to get him? Not top prospects.

I think he makes some sense.

05-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I would definitely do it.

No idea why we wouldn't if the cost is right.

He's the best available defenseman this offseason who's likely to get moved or is a UFA.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:33 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
1) He's not old. He'll be 33.

2) He had 23 points (which would have been second best on our defense) despite playing only 54 games. And he did that on a bad team.

3) What would it really take to get him? Not top prospects.

I think he makes some sense.
Four things appeal to me

1) He's a PP QB: I don't think I need to explain this one.

2) He is only signed for 2 years: 5.7 isn't exactly cheap, but it wont cripple our payroll, and since he is only signed 2 years we won't be stuck with him long term. Worst case scenario is he sucks and we are done with him soon anyway. This is no Yashin situation. In 2 years maybe Sanguinetti is ready, or maybe we find someone else. He's good enough to tide us over for 2 years.

3) Toronto is contemplating buying him out: This, as you stated, implies he wouldn't cost the Rangers too much. Backman plus Prucha? I could see that working out for both sides. Even if that is not acceptable, no key prospects or picks would be exchanged. Low risk in that department.

4) It beats the alternatives we have: Rozsival is going to command the same cap hit anyway, and it won't be a two year deal. He'll command ~6 mill for ~4 years. Redden and Campbell will similarly want big contracts long term, which we all agree we can't afford with Gomez, Drury, and Lundqvist already locked up. And if they fail, like Redden and Campbell clearly have the potential to do, we'd be stuck with them long term, whereas McCabe would be gone in 2 years.

Old
05-15-2008, 05:35 PM
TheHotRock

i would gladly give up backman or a second rounder for mccabe....pair him with a stay at home like girardi...he'll be fine. he'll also help our miserable powerplay.

on top of that, he'll cost us far less than the alternatives on the UFA market.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Of course now everyone wants him, lol.

I'd take him if he came cheaply. If we could package Backman in the deal that'd be an absolute godsend.

Seems like a lot of Leafs fans could do without him, but none of them want anything less than a great roster play + top prospect + high pick.

Old
05-15-2008, 05:46 PM
DutchShamrock

It depends on the cost for us, but I'm definitely interested in McCabe. There's no denying his value to our powerplay and offensive woes. He's always gotten knocked for his defensive play but I would look at it as a good trade off for us. His shortcomings might be minimized in our system and the cost for a guy who is stellar in both ends would be huge either in trades or signings. 2 years would coincide with Sanguinetti's supposed arrival in NY too.

It really comes down to what Toronto wants in return. If they want to buy him out, they might be content to just move his contract for very little. Their asking price would hinge more on the trade market for McCabe... if more than 1 team wants him the price could rise to decent prospects or a cost-efficent NHLer.

Basically, I wouldn't hang up on them without kicking the tires.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:47 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

I don't think the Leafs should be interested in trading Bryan McCabe, I would be suprised if they are.

Yes, he is a shell of his former self. His 2005-2007 self. His defensive has improved leaps and bounds this season, and the Leafs had a winning record (I think it was a 97-101 point projection) when he was healthy and in the lineup.

He wasn't our PP QB this season, Kubina and Kaberle were, but he was our best defenseman this season. He was a great tutor, IMO, to our younger guys in Anton Stralman and Jiri Tlusty.

IMO, the Leafs will be heavily shopping Pavel Kubina and Tomas Kaberle. If you guys are interested in McCabe, then you should rather be interested in those 2 since I don't think any team wil be sacrificing enough to match the value that McCabe has to our team.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:47 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

backman + 5th rounder

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i would gladly give up backman or a second rounder for mccabe....pair him with a stay at home like girardi...he'll be fine. he'll also help our miserable powerplay.

on top of that, he'll cost us far less than the alternatives on the UFA market.
Except that he wasn't even the Leafs best PP defenseman this season. Kaberle and Kubina were. But those 2 didn't come close to McCabe's physical and defensive play this season.

Old
05-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Nich

backman and prucha for him....thats 3.7 in salary

and would allow us to let rosi walk and go after orpik or jason smith

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
I don't think the Leafs should be interested in trading Bryan McCabe, I would be suprised if they are.

Yes, he is a shell of his former self. His 2005-2007 self. His defensive has improved leaps and bounds this season, and the Leafs had a winning record (I think it was a 97-101 point projection) when he was healthy and in the lineup.

He wasn't our PP QB this season, Kubina and Kaberle were, but he was our best defenseman this season. He was a great tutor, IMO, to our younger guys in Anton Stralman and Jiri Tlusty.

IMO, the Leafs will be heavily shopping Pavel Kubina and Tomas Kaberle. If you guys are interested in McCabe, then you should rather be interested in those 2 since I don't think any team wil be sacrificing enough to match the value that McCabe has to our team.
Kaberle is going to cost us the farm.

Old
05-15-2008, 05:52 PM
beastly115

Please NO. The guy is a complete joke. Go to www.mccabe sucks dot com. It says it all.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Kaberle is going to cost us the farm.
Then don't expect a trade happening involving McCabe. Especially since we arn't looking for ****s in Backman + a late pick.

Old
05-15-2008, 05:57 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Then don't expect a trade happening involving McCabe. Especially since we arn't looking for ****s in Backman + a late pick.
We don't. People who offer those types of trades are idealists. Backman+ 2nd should get it done, no?

Old
05-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

btw, the premise here is wrong, McCabe has 3 years left on his contract at 5.7mil cap hit, not 2.

2 i could handle, but not 3.

No Thanks.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Smallz

Leafs fan here....

We don't want Backman the reason we are trading McCabe is to get rid of our garbage we dont want any back

In all reality the deal would most likely be....

1st and Prucha

now i know none of you would make that deal but I think thats what he would go for

Smallz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

meh... reddens better and he probably will cost cap hit wise around the same

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Leafs fan here....

We don't want Backman the reason we are trading McCabe is to get rid of our garbage we dont want any back

1st and Prucha

now i know none of you would make that deal but I think thats what he would go for

hahahah mccabe is barley worth a 2nd why would he be a 1st+ when he is at an all-time low for what he is worth

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:01 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Leafs fan here....

1st and Prucha

2nd+ Prucha and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old
05-15-2008, 06:05 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
We don't. People who offer those types of trades are idealists. Backman+ 2nd should get it done, no?
Ok, how many of you guys watched McCabe play in the 2008 part of the season? Or the mid-to-late parts of the 2007 parts of the season?