HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2008 Draft Talk Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
vesperal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Thanks,but does he have the skills to make an impact on an NHL team?
Not for me. I put him as a 3rd-4th liners. Not enough skill for a scoring line but with three "coach", he can develop into something decent. With the depth we have, I don't think he's a good choice for Montreal. Somebody who saw him more than me can give you a more accurate scouting report.

Old
05-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperal View Post
Not for me. I put him as a 3rd-4th liners. Not enough skill for a scoring line but with three "coach", he can develop into something decent. With the depth we have, I don't think he's a good choice for Montreal. Somebody who saw him more than me can give you a more accurate scouting report.
Perfect,thanks alot for the info.I was wondering why he was rated so low

Old
05-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Perfect,thanks alot for the info.I was wondering why he was rated so low
He can't skate, has average hands, is beyond awful in his own zone, but he has a good vision and his positioning in the Off. zone is very good.

He's a project, but his potential is a decent 3rd liner with size.

Old
05-14-2008, 06:41 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni View Post
Guys, i was just thinking and about the idea of trading up and getting Colin Wilson. I think that he can help our center position and maybe we do not have to trade for a Marleau or a Jokinen type of player. I heard that he has good scoring upside and that he plays a sound two-way game. I also think that he can replace Koivu in the future.

To Montreal: the eight overall selection- Colin Wilson

To Phoenix: the 25 overall selection, Pavel Valentenko, and a second round pick in 09.

Also, what do you guys think of Ben Maxwell? Can he be a top two centerman in the NHL? Does he have the skill set to do well in the NHL or not?

thanks

I like Colin Wilson but have to say no to this deal. Timmins can get another Patches at 25 and Valentenko is going to be a hell of a one in my opinion. No to mention the second rounder

Old
05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Marc-E-

Hope we pick Justin Jokinen with the 25th pick.

Old
05-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Hope we pick Justin Jokinen with the 25th pick.
I think that is entirely possible.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Artie

Heard Martin Maguire singing the praises of Paquette on CKAC this morning. He seems to really like what he can bring.

Old
05-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
Heard Martin Maguire singing the praises of Paquette on CKAC this morning. He seems to really like what he can bring.
Jean-charles talked tuesday about him for atleast 2 hours, saying that he was a huge Habs fan and that he was the player we needed and blal bla bla, what Jan-charles doesn, know is that we have a better one just like Paquette in stewart and Paquette is rated 45th for northamerican skaters, not world wide

Old
05-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Jean-charles talked tuesday about him for atleast 2 hours, saying that he was a huge Habs fan and that he was the player we needed and blal bla bla, what Jan-charles doesn, know is that we have a better one just like Paquette in stewart and Paquette is rated 45th for northamerican skaters, not world wide
Actually we shouldn't pay too much attention to what the CSS has put him. Every scout would tell you that this list is great at the beginning of the season mostly for the sole reason to know who's out there. But every team has their own list right now and don't care where CSS has put a player. Every year we keep hearing Timmins saying that all of his choices are within his list of 100 player and is always able to have his players within his top 50.

Stewart is not Paquette. Stewart should end up in the end as a better skater but shouldn't translate offensively while Paquette could translate his game to some offensive, I say "some", not as good a skater but should improve, but a much tougher guy that if he can grow a few pounds and some size, might end up as a real intimidated force.

Paquette might become a goon that can play. Stewart is more of a grinder, agitator that can fight.

And Paquette looooooooves to hit and hurt people. It would be a lot of fun to have him. But wouldn't take him in the 1st round to say the least.....earlier, 2nd round. Still if Lucic ended up going where he went, chances are Paquette won't be there at our turn in the 2nd round.

Old
05-15-2008, 11:40 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Dont remember where i saw this (i think thn) but joe colborne dad had an income of 90 millions last year! Holy crap!lol

Old
05-15-2008, 11:51 AM
giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I like Colin Wilson but have to say no to this deal. Timmins can get another Patches at 25 and Valentenko is going to be a hell of a one in my opinion. No to mention the second rounder
okay, that is fair. I like Colin Wilson, but i do not know what the price will be. i am okay with who ever timmins takes at 25.

Old
05-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Fozz

Paquette is just as good a skater, if not better than Stewart was in his draft year.

Old
05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Paquette is just as good a skater, if not better than Stewart was in his draft year.
It's all a matter of opinion right now, don't agree though I do agree that Stewart improved and there wasn't so much of a difference between the 2. Though Stewart had more agility and had quickess feet. Sure they might have had similar speed once the first steps were taken. But Stewart was a little quicker in that department.

But for the will he has, nothing should stop Paquette improving in that department. In the end, pretty obvious that Paquette's package is much better than Stewart and it will show in the end when we'll compare which rank both guys would have been drafted...

Old
05-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Roulin

Paquette's profile updated at the official draft site: http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/fea...&playerID=1045

Any fan of Saku's is OK in my book.

Old
05-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

There is tons of Paquette on youtube... I must say he can really throw his weight around, a very solid player.... seems to have some touch around the net. Compares to Chris Neil.

This link is a youtube of some of his history
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeem_Ybbo9A pt 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4uNR...eature=related pt 2

Here are a couple of Paquette's fights:

Old
05-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And Paquette looooooooves to hit and hurt people. It would be a lot of fun to have him. But wouldn't take him in the 1st round to say the least.....earlier, 2nd round. Still if Lucic ended up going where he went, chances are Paquette won't be there at our turn in the 2nd round.
They compared him to Lucic this morning on CKAC.

He certainly seems intriguing, but like you, I'm not sure I would use a 1st round pick on him.

Anybody have any info on McRea.

Old
05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
They compared him to Lucic this morning on CKAC.

He certainly seems intriguing, but like you, I'm not sure I would use a 1st round pick on him.

Anybody have any info on McRea.
While I was reading the hockey news draft issue, I came to the conclusion that there will at least be one very talented player who'll be available at our spot. That guy might be big (Jokinen, Colbourne, etc) or might be really small (Eberle, Wahl, Ennis, etc), but still, I would take any of those players before Paquette. In the first round, I think you have to reach for something good...a player who can play on your top 4 or in the top two line.

And since we're at it, can someone give me more information on Eberle, Ennis and Wahl. They are all interesting, but all small...but still, it might be worth the gamble.

And there's always Trivino, Jokinen and Dalpe who are all playing in a lower level...

A few weeks ago, I had a bad feeling about this draft, but now, I'm optimist, and think we'll get a good player even at 25!

Old
05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Boulette Cannon

Trade up for Beach.
Trade up in second round for Paquette.

Problem solved!

Old
05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Talent Analyst

There is an article on Justin Jokinen.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ustin_jokinen/

some quote I like about him:

''He possesses a hard shot with a tremendous release. But what sets Jokinen apart from many high school players is the accuracy of his shots. He gets them to the net and picks his spots remarkably well.''

''One of Jokinen’s greatest attributes is his skating -- a wonderful combination of quickness, speed and fluidness. ''

The winger lists Washington Capitals superstar Alexander Ovechkin as his favorite NHL player and one whose style he tries to pattern his after.

“I think my style is similar to his like scoring goals, bring it to the net and shooting a lot,” said Jokinen

Justin is one of those kids that’s really smart and picks up on things very quickly. If you tell him something, he’s very good at listening, learning and adapting.”

Jokinen has the ability to make those around him better and is a young man who prefers to let his actions and skills speak for him.

Old
05-15-2008, 05:33 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Is the thn draft issue out yet?

Old
05-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Talent Analyst

LOL my father just told me something, he knew the father of Paquette, he repairs his car. He told me that Rampart of Quebec wantend him for Angelo Esposito and Lewiston said no.

Old
05-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
Trade up for Beach.
Trade up in second round for Paquette.

Problem solved!
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'd rather trade up in our 2nd round pick to get an earlier one.

Drafting a guy like Colborne in the first round then Justin Jokinen with our early second would be just awesome.

Old
05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
LOL my father just told me something, he knew the father of Paquette, he repairs his car. He told me that Rampart of Quebec wantend him for Angelo Esposito and Lewiston said no.
I think it's best for everyone that Paquette doesn't play for Patrick Roy. T'would be a recipe for disaster.

Old
05-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'd rather trade up in our 2nd round pick to get an earlier one.

Drafting a guy like Colborne in the first round then Justin Jokinen with our early second would be just awesome.
I love what I saw from Colborne at last years world juniors . But all the reports about him being "soft" would make me think twice about picking him.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
I love what I saw from Colborne at last years world juniors . But all the reports about him being "soft" would make me think twice about picking him.
why? If he has the talent, the size, the willingness to get his nose dirty (which he has), and the skating, I don't see why it should be a problem. He can always modify his style if needed.

Closed Thread