HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

McCabe would approve of a trade to the Rangers

Old
05-15-2008, 06:06 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
When I say that Bryan McCabe outplayed Tomas KAberle this season, this should say something in terms of his value to us.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:06 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

vCash: 500
McCabe for Jessimen.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i would gladly give up backman or a second rounder for mccabe....pair him with a stay at home like girardi...he'll be fine. he'll also help our miserable powerplay.

on top of that, he'll cost us far less than the alternatives on the UFA market.

His salary next season is 6 million and the cap hit is 5.75 million. So, I'm not sure that he'd cost far less than the alternatives. I bet that Redden won't wind up getting much more than that, for example.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
HenriksBetter

As long as we don't have to give up the farm for him i say do it. Backman and Prucha should get it done.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:21 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundintoSteen View Post
McCabe for Jessimen.
sure, but you gotta take Backman too.

Backman and Jessiman for McCabe, oh hell yea

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
SouvenirCity

If we could do Backman + Prucha + 4th Rounder I'd do that in a heartbeat

That would end up with us only paying close to 2 Mill of his salary (with the switch of Backman and Pru's salaries).

I would anticipate we would then let Rozsi walk, and try to sign one of Smith/Orpik/Commodore, and then possibly send Tyutin in a deal to get a scorer

I would rather have McCabe at his price, than Rozsy at the one he will command for 2 years more

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
No thanks to that trade. I don't want him, I've never been impressed by him and for a nearly 6m dollar cap hit, I'd rather chip in a couple extra million and pick up Campbell.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Toronto is only going to trade him to dump cap. They aren't going to take crap back just to get rid of him unless you put something decent in the deal.

However, I highly doubt we're going to send a 1st rounder to Toronto for just McCabe. If we did, I'd want Steen coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
When I say that Bryan McCabe outplayed Tomas KAberle this season, this should say something in terms of his value to us.
Isn't that why he makes more money?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:36 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
If we could do Backman + Prucha + 4th Rounder I'd do that in a heartbeat

That would end up with us only paying close to 2 Mill of his salary (with the switch of Backman and Pru's salaries).

I would anticipate we would then let Rozsi walk, and try to sign one of Smith/Orpik/Commodore, and then possibly send Tyutin in a deal to get a scorer

I would rather have McCabe at his price, than Rozsy at the one he will command for 2 years more
There is no way they would want that.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Breakaway23*

McCabe would probably prefer the Islanders since it's closer to his wife and kids' place of residence.

But he's going to cost you. Even at $5 mil.

I think he will rebound next year. He was awful earlier in the season. Then he settled his defensive game down. He started playing pretty decently in Dec. 2007 then got hurt and was out for 1.5 months. Came back and did decent.

The problem with McCabe is he keeps having to play with different rear-guards. Kaberle and McCabe used to be a force when they were both on their game, then one year one would be on his game, then the other would be off it. So they haven't meshed since like 2004.

McCabe was paired with Coliacovo when he was struggled and Cola seemed to calm him down and he started playing better. Then Cola went out. McCabe also had to play with White, Gill, and Kubina and had mixed success with each.

I think on the right team he will again be an all-star. It wasn't long ago he was a finalist in Norris voting.

I am not sure what McCabe will cost. It all depends on how desparate the Leafs are to move him. If they move him this year he's probably worth a decent prospect and probably another pick. I would say in the 15-18 range, they could then target a host of people..(maybe Sbisa, Colborne, Tedenby)

After a good year he wouldn't be moved.

Right now the Leafs might think about Staal and another roster player from the Rangers...not sure who else though.

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:38 PM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
There is no way they would want that.
Backman + Prucha + 09 2nd*

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway23 View Post
McCabe would probably prefer the Islanders since it's closer to his wife and kids' place of residence.

But he's going to cost you. Even at $5 mil.

I think he will rebound next year. He was awful earlier in the season. Then he settled his defensive game down. He started playing pretty decently in Dec. 2007 then got hurt and was out for 1.5 months. Came back and did decent.

The problem with McCabe is he keeps having to play with different rear-guards. Kaberle and McCabe used to be a force when they were both on their game, then one year one would be on his game, then the other would be off it. So they haven't meshed since like 2004.

McCabe was paired with Coliacovo when he was struggled and Cola seemed to calm him down and he started playing better. Then Cola went out. McCabe also had to play with White, Gill, and Kubina and had mixed success with each.

I think on the right team he will again be an all-star. It wasn't long ago he was a finalist in Norris voting.

I am not sure what McCabe will cost. It all depends on how desparate the Leafs are to move him. If they move him this year he's probably worth a decent prospect and probably another pick. I would say in the 15-18 range, they could then target a host of people..(maybe Sbisa, Colborne, Tedenby)

Right now the Leafs might think about Staal and another roster player from the Rangers...not sure who else though.
And that'd probably be where Sather choked on his coffee and hung up the phone.

Old
05-15-2008, 06:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

First off, why is Toronto just GIVING us McCabe?

They will want something of value.

And according to this: http://www.nhlscap.com/salarynumbers/toronto.htm, he is due over 6 million next year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
McCabe would probably prefer the Islanders since it's closer to his wife and kids' place of residence..
I sometimes wonder if SOME (as in a very small number) Toronto fans simply don't understand anything about geography outside the Toronto metro area.

MSG is actually a bit easier to reach from most parts of the LI than where the Isles play (because it is reachable via train etc). Even by car, there is not much difference. In fact, there wouldn't be much difference between where NJ plays and where the Isles play. So, this is absolutely incorrect.

I also doubt that McCabe would want to go to a potential losing team over a playoff team in a much more glitzy locale.

Finally, I doubt that McCabe, even with the NMC, gets to tell the Leafs which team "he prefers" to go to.

Quote:

But he's going to cost you. Even at $5 mil...
He makes six million next year, with a cap hit of 5.75 million. And, yeah he'll cost. But, the prices most Ranger fans are offering here is quite close to being fair. Certainly more fair than all this stuff built around the likes of Staal, etc.

Quote:

This is the same player who Fletcher said there was "no interest in" around the league, and the same player that Garth Snow said he had never considered trading for? When exactly did McCabe's value (on ice and on the trade market) go through such a radical change?

Sorry, but Ranger fans here are being quite realistic in their perceptions of McCabe's market value.

I'll go beyond that. If McCabe were willing to waive his NMC to come to the Rangers, and if Sather wants him, a 2nd rounder and prospect/lessor player would be more than enough to get it done. In fact, if the first two conditions had been met before the deadline, McCabe would probably be a Ranger right now.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 05-15-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old
05-15-2008, 06:52 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I sometimes wonder if Toronto fans know anything at all about geography outside the Toronto metro area.

MSG is actually a bit easier to reach from most parts of the LI than where the Isles play (because it is reachable via train etc). Even by car, there is not much difference. In fact, there wouldn't be much difference between where NJ plays and where the Isles play. So, this is absolutely incorrect.

I also doubt that McCabe would want to go to a potential losing team over a playoff team in a much more glitzy locale.

Finally, I doubt that McCabe, even with the NMC, gets to tell the Leafs which team "he prefers" to go to.

He makes six million next year, with a cap hit of 5.75 million. And, yeah he'll cost. But, the prices most Ranger fans are offering here is quite close to being fair. Certainly more fair than all this stuff built around the likes of Staal, etc.

This is the same player who Fletcher said there was "no interest in" around the league, and the same player that Garth Snow said he had never considered trading for? When exactly did McCabe's value (on ice and on the trade market) go through such a radical change?

Sorry, but Ranger fans here are being quite realistic in their perceptions of McCabe's market value.
The ones who are offering Backman and a 5th are dreaming, but Prucha and a 3rd or 2nd should get it done.

Old
05-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
The ones who are offering Backman and a 5th are dreaming, but Prucha and a 3rd or 2nd should get it done.

Yeah, this is how I see it too. The truth, as usual, is in the middle. McCabe is not an elite asset in terms of trade value but the Backman deal is probably not realistic.

Old
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Seems like a pretty big cap hit. The guy has posted some great numbers as a defenseman in the past...but definately gotta question the money here, especially being every Leafs fan out there seems to hate the guy.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Callahan, Prucha, Backman + 1st 08

McCabe, Steen + 3rd 08

Get it done Slats.

Old
05-15-2008, 07:10 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Yeah, this is how I see it too. The truth, as usual, is in the middle. McCabe is not an elite asset in terms of trade value but the Backman deal is probably not realistic.
Very true. Most of the time you know a trade is even when neither side is happy. This is because fans overrate their own players way too much. If Leafs fans think getting Staal plus, letting alone Staal alone, for McCabe, then they are really overrating him. At the same time though, if the Rangers think they can dump salaries and low-end draft picks onto Toronto to acquire a #2 defenseman, then they need a reality check. Prucha is a talent who has the potential to accel if given time, which he won't be getting here in NY. With Toronto though, he'll have plenty of opportunity to get a chance there. 20-25 goals isn't out of the question. At the same time, they help the rebuilding process by acquiring a 2nd rounder. They also lose McCabe's contract. The Rangers, meanwhile, greatly enhance their PP by adding McCabe. They do so too without giving up anything big for now or the future. Prucha isn't an important piece of this current Rangers team, and can easily be traded. A 2nd round pick is clearly worth something, but at the same time the Rangers young NHL talent and farm system is at a point where it's built up enough that we don;t need to use every pick.

Old
05-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Sneekypete

Toronto wants to cut salary,they would pretty much give mccabe and blake away.

Yes they have a ton of cash to spend but to may big contracts holding them back.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
McCabe is NOT a PP QB. But he is a guy who will shoot. And that is a good thing for this team.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:39 PM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
he would make for a better D man than backman but idk if its worth it, especially if he is gonna cost a bunch

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:48 PM
squishy

I wouldn't want to take the 3 year, $5.75 cap hit if I was signing him as a free agent. No way do I want to give up anything of value for the privilege.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Fataldogg

McCabe is pretty good but he is such a bone head. I wouldn't want him on our team (although our PP would have a cannon at the PT). I pass though.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 08:09 PM
frozenrubber

If a salary dump was available in any way, I've never hid my affection for Kubina. He's the one you want (and no, Kaberle wouldn't be made available).

But at this stage of the game, and no game changing GM apparently coming to the Leafs (speculation abound about stopgap replacements), I don't see them making this type of move.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote