HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who are the biggest Under-Achiever's?

Old
05-15-2008, 04:54 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Hard to say a guy who played almost 1300 games in the NHL underachieved. He had some very good seasons too.

Singn--In the respect that many thought he would be an elite player--he never quite made that step.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Nemchinov13

1. Val Kamensky. Crapped out completely when got to NY.
1a. Vladimir Malakhov - I don't know if we've expected too much from the guy, but he just disappreared. 1st season - 2nd game in - lost for season. And then he didn't do anything.
2. Kovalev. Love the guy to death, but NY is probably wrong city for him.
3. Brendl and Lundmark. For these two (and Hlavac) we've traded Niklas Sundstrom who was one of the best defesnive forwards in NHL, Dan Cloutier who would've spelled Richter when needed, Marc Savard and picks. That's a huge casualty list.
4. Eric Lindros. Not his fault though. Sather's mistake.
5. Stephane Quintal. NY has ruined his career.
6. Tom Poti. Can't believe we've traded Mike York for him.
Honorable mention: Petr Nedved. We've just exchanged one reclamation project for another (Nedved for Kovalev). Except that Kovalev took off.

I can't believe seeing Mike York in this thread. Mike York was one of the hardest working players on the team. His rookie year he was a goal scoring leader on the Rangers. He had a sophmore slump, but then he got back to his 50+ points per season. Can't believe you guys.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:16 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
6. Tom Poti. Can't believe we've traded Mike York for him.

I can't believe seeing Mike York in this thread. Mike York was one of the hardest working players on the team. His rookie year he was a goal scoring leader on the Rangers. He had a sophmore slump, but then he got back to his 50+ points per season. Can't believe you guys.
In the grand scheme of things, Sather ended up being right. Tom Poti in the long run was the better player. By no means am I his biggest fan, but Poti will play in the NHL for the forseeable future. But if you're a fan of the Swiss league, you'll have a favorite player in Mike York.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 11:38 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Kovalev: Speed, strength, size, and the best pair of hands I've ever seen. He played his best hockey in 94, and his only down point in that post season was early on in the series against the Devils. After he won the cup, it seemed like he did everything he had set out to do, and was happy with just that.

Kamensky: Even though he was aging, I thought he could still score 25-30 goals with the time he was going to get here. He was absolutely brutal to watch in NY.

Fleury: He played the best hockey of possibly his career in 2001. He was leading the league in points by a wide margin over Joe Sakic for about 2 or 3 months, and then his play slipped off and he went into rehab. I thought he could come back and rebound having a big center like Lindros, and a speedy playmaker in York on the other wing, but he was just never the same.

Verbeek: And this one isn't about his playing, but more of the dissapointment of him scoring 40 goals, and the Rangers not being back the next season. He could have been a HUGE help against Philly in the ECF in 97. Even in the two prior series, we could have won those earlier and had more time for the players who were playing hurt to rest.

The 97 offseason: Lowballing Messier while trying to buy Sakic into a Ranger uniform. Man, how crazy would that have been having Sakic and Gretzky as our top 2 centers...

Holik: Overpaid, injured (03), and misused in general throughout his 2 year stay in New York.

Oh yeah, and finally...

Sitting through missing the playoffs by a hair for 7 years instead of tanking and developing a team for the future. Very entertaining...

Quote:
I understand the thought to take a chance on a reclamation project. But not on a guy who everyone knew was injury prone (one hit away from the end of his career) and who's brother had already retired because of concussions. You also don't trade the kind of assets that he traded for a reclamation project.
He was Sather's 2nd choice, and a bad one at that.

The funny part was that Pittsburgh rejected the Rangers' offer for Jagr, (the same offer Philly took for Lindros - Hlavac, Brendl, Johnsson) in favor of that pile flaming of ******* they got in return from Washington.

I much rather would have gotten Jagr, and was hoping we did so at the time. When I found out that we got Lindros, I tried to be optimistic as possible, but after seeing Rob Blake resigned the morning of July 1st, I knew our defensive options were screwed.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
In the grand scheme of things, Sather ended up being right. Tom Poti in the long run was the better player. By no means am I his biggest fan, but Poti will play in the NHL for the forseeable future. But if you're a fan of the Swiss league, you'll have a favorite player in Mike York.
I thought that this was an "Underachiever" thread. Mike York has been anything but underachiever in Ranger blue. In fact, he was an overachiever. Nobody expected a 7th rounder to be a regular, let alone lead the team in goals in his rookie year.

While Tom Poti is a better hockey player, he fits perfectly into the underachiever category. He had only 1 good offensive season, his defensive side has been a chronic problem and he was a 3rd pairing defenseman, while being paid like a top 4.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Sockosensei

Kovalev was probably the biggest disappointment, but...

Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, but none of our draft failures ever broke my heart like Brendl.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post

Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, but none of our draft failures ever broke my heart like Brendl.
Lundmark for me.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Kovalev: Speed, strength, size, and the best pair of hands I've ever seen. He played his best hockey in 94, and his only down point in that post season was early on in the series against the Devils. After he won the cup, it seemed like he did everything he had set out to do, and was happy with just that.

Kamensky: Even though he was aging, I thought he could still score 25-30 goals with the time he was going to get here. He was absolutely brutal to watch in NY.

Fleury: He played the best hockey of possibly his career in 2001. He was leading the league in points by a wide margin over Joe Sakic for about 2 or 3 months, and then his play slipped off and he went into rehab. I thought he could come back and rebound having a big center like Lindros, and a speedy playmaker in York on the other wing, but he was just never the same.

Verbeek: And this one isn't about his playing, but more of the dissapointment of him scoring 40 goals, and the Rangers not being back the next season. He could have been a HUGE help against Philly in the ECF in 97. Even in the two prior series, we could have won those earlier and had more time for the players who were playing hurt to rest.
The 97 offseason: Lowballing Messier while trying to buy Sakic into a Ranger uniform. Man, how crazy would that have been having Sakic and Gretzky as our top 2 centers...

Holik: Overpaid, injured (03), and misused in general throughout his 2 year stay in New York.

Oh yeah, and finally...

Sitting through missing the playoffs by a hair for 7 years instead of tanking and developing a team for the future. Very entertaining...

He was Sather's 2nd choice, and a bad one at that.

The funny part was that Pittsburgh rejected the Rangers' offer for Jagr, (the same offer Philly took for Lindros - Hlavac, Brendl, Johnsson) in favor of that pile flaming of ******* they got in return from Washington.

I much rather would have gotten Jagr, and was hoping we did so at the time. When I found out that we got Lindros, I tried to be optimistic as possible, but after seeing Rob Blake resigned the morning of July 1st, I knew our defensive options were screwed.

i'm glad this was brought up because i felt the same way about him that i did about zubov being traded. why?

i mean, there was a period there where it seemed like smith was shuffling the deck just to shuffle. not to neccesarily say that he wasn't trying to improve the team from his p.o.v. but he scarcely allowed players time to settle in with the team comfortably. and also his ego seemed too many times to say "hey media, look at me! i made a move! make sure that everybody knows it!"

Last edited by BwayBshirt: 05-16-2008 at 01:37 PM.
BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 12:25 PM
trench23

I think we all forgot about Luc Robitaille.. we had HUGE expectations for him, and he def didnt meet them. After that, Kamensky for me.

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2008, 02:17 PM
RangerBlueJay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post

Yea those 2 really pissed me off. I still have my wifes Jersey with AK 27's number on it.

RangerBlueJay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Edge

Lundmark broke my heart.

I knew Brendl was a risk, but I though Lundmark at the very least was going to be a stud second line center and most likely our first line center.

It all went downhill after that first training camp.

The glimpses we saw out of Dubinsky this year was what I expected out of Lundmark as a rookie.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Nich

prucha for me......i was hoping he would be harder to knock off the puck from his first year, not easier.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:12 AM
eco's bones

On Lundmark--I remember reading the synopsis of him in the hockey news draft issue that he was a warrior--maybe the player who would turn out to be the best out of that draft--that after games he'd come in with more stick marks on his jersey than anybody--that he'd get his nose dirty to score goals. Somewhere along the line he stopped playing like that. He never built up enough strength and he lost his competitive edge. He turned out to be a complete waste.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
On Lundmark--I remember reading the synopsis of him in the hockey news draft issue that he was a warrior--maybe the player who would turn out to be the best out of that draft--that after games he'd come in with more stick marks on his jersey than anybody--that he'd get his nose dirty to score goals. Somewhere along the line he stopped playing like that. He never built up enough strength and he lost his competitive edge. He turned out to be a complete waste.
i think alot of that had to due with our complete waste of development we had in place

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 01:38 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

The Ferraro Brothers

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:15 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench23 View Post
I think we all forgot about Luc Robitaille.. we had HUGE expectations for him, and he def didnt meet them. After that, Kamensky for me.
I was to angry with Zubov being traded that I didn't expect anything from Luc, I hated him the second he got here.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 08:34 AM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
omg, where 2 start. BOBBY HOLIK
Please compare Bobby Holik's NYR numbers with Chris Drury's numbers.

Holik was and remains a fine shutdown center

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 09:21 AM
philbo

For Me it has to be Pavel Bure. Not for his performance but for the short time we had him. If we could've got him, instead of Fla. getting him. Daaaammmmn. Imagine Bure on TGO's wing. Bure would've easily broke Gravy's single season goal record. Those damn russian knees! Frickin' Anna Kornakova screwed him all up.

Any coincidence that Bure, Federov, and Enrique Iglesias careers have tanked after being in her "company"?

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 10:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Lundmark started his career during the NY Rangers country club era, that surely hurt his development a bit.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Plato

vCash: 95244
Manny Malhotra.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 11:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Manny Malhotra.
I gotta give Malhotra a break. He was trying to be turned into something he wasn't. Smith expected him to score more in the NHL than he ever did at any other level. He was not a second line center (let along a second line wing) like Smith said he would be. And he's not a fourth line player either like Muckler said he would be.

05-17-2008, 11:52 AM
ThisYearsModel

Gilles Gratton. Cool mask, but could not stop a beach ball.
Gilles Marotte. Captain Crunch rarely crunched anyone once he got to NY.
Bobby Carpenter. He quickly showed that his one big year in Washington was a fluke.
Gene Carr. Chadwick said he could not put the puck in the ocean if he were standing on a pier.
Bobby Holik. Still ran his mouth, but didn't produce much.
Purse Boy Poti. He was terrible.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:08 PM
McRanger

Quote:
I gotta give Malhotra a break. He was trying to be turned into something he wasn't. Smith expected him to score more in the NHL than he ever did at any other level. He was not a second line center (let along a second line wing) like Smith said he would be. And he's not a fourth line player either like Muckler said he would be.
Muckler said he would never be more than a third liner. Which is what he is, a third liner on a bad team, and a third or fourth liner on a good team. That was always what his stats and talent pointed towards, so its hard to call him an underachiever.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Lundmark, and Brendl
Have to be them. They were supposed to be the building blocks of the team. Brendl was supposed to be a superstar (most actually predicted him going first overall that year) and Lundmark a great two-way center.

Lundmark actually cost us Marc Savard (we also got a Hlavac for a mid-first round pick, which was also not worth it).

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
True, but if I remember correctly, he was pretty well hyped.
I remember a Blueshirt Bulletin article in 1996 when his coach said that he can "score at will in the OHL."

He had 149 points in O, which is a league that actually plays defense (unlike QMJHL).

Savard was a high-risk, high-return prospect. Dube was actually more hyped up and was drafted two rounds earlier the same year. But trading Savard for Lundmark was insane. Lundmark was never gonna be more than a second liner anyway. Savard was already a second liner and became a star by his mid-20s.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote